http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 08:22:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone have the Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel?  (Read 952 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2007, 05:32:04 PM »

I'm looking for impressions from anyone in the GT family who may have picked up the Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel.  The more I read about it, the more I want to pick one up in preparation for the upcoming release of Forza Motorsport 2.  I've never owned a racing wheel for any of my consoles, and based on the rather positive reviews for the 360's wheel, I'm starting to consider adding it to my accessory collection. 

Reviewers have called it "top notch" in every respect, from construction to functionality.  It completely supports both rumble and force-feedback and is relatively wireless (in order to take advantage of force-feedback you have to plug in a supplied power source, otherwise you'd be going through AA's faster than bottles of beer, but you're at least wireless from the 360, just not a power outlet).  The wheel comes with an updated copy of PGR3 with all of the set-up drivers included on the disc, so all you have to do is plug everything in and play.  So far the wheel supports the new version of PGR3, Test Drive: Unlimited, Need for Speed: Carbon, and the upcoming, eagerly anticipated Forza Motorsport 2.

I currently have Test Drive: Unlimited in my collection, and the wheel comes with PGR3 (even though I already have a copy, the wheel might breathe new life into the game).  I'd like to familiarize myself with the wheel by playing games like PGR3 and Test Drive so that I am ready to burn rubber once Forza is finally released.

Does anyone have any experience with the wheel, especially with Test Drive (I've read that the wheel really makes playing through PGR3 again worthwhile, but I haven't read much on how well it enhances Test Drive's experience), and would Need for Speed: Carbon be a worthy addition to my library to take advantage of the game's compatibility with the wheel (or does it not live up to the standard set by Most Wanted)?

Also, does the wheel work with games that may not necessarily support rumble and force-feedback (such as Need for Speed: Most Wanted), so I could at least use the wheel to play, even though I would be without rumble and force-feedback?

Any impressions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm ready to pick this bad-boy up, but I want to make sure it is a worthwhile investment in terms of the current games that support the wheel's functions, or if I would be better-off waiting for the release of Forza 2, which was what really influenced this wheel's development.  I'm just looking to breathe new life into some racing games that have kind of fallen to the wayside.  It seems like the wheel would add so much more immersion to the 360's racing lineup.  And it would just be great fun to set it up anytime friends are over and want to get some high-speed drunken driving in.       

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 05:55:13 PM »

Just jump in your car Pete and drive around the block a few times.  Let Simba stick his head out the window and both of you can enjoy the monotonous Arizona weather.  This would be much more entertaining than playing utterly boring car-based games on your 360!   icon_lol icon_wink icon_razz

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 06:06:33 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on February 08, 2007, 05:55:13 PM

Just jump in your car Pete and drive around the block a few times.  Let Simba stick his head out the window and both of you can enjoy the monotonous Arizona weather.  This would be much more entertaining than playing utterly boring car-based games on your 360!   icon_lol icon_wink icon_razz

But then we wouldn't legally be able to drink and drive, not to mention speed limits, and the intimidation factor of our Hyundai Elantra.  No one ever wants to race us when we pull up to a light and I rev the engine.  Simba can be a fearsome copilot.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 06:15:41 PM »

Tempted.  I won't be getting it for any of the current releases, as they are probably too arcadey to be fun with a wheel.  Also I've beaten all of them, so there isn't much of a draw there.

Forza 2, if it ever fucking comes out (it's due what, in May now?), may cause me to get the wheel.

gellar
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:19:03 PM »

Full report on OO. Short version: caveat emptor. Mine sucked in both PGR and Carbon.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:31:42 PM »

I have no experience with the wheel.

I just thought I'd point out that Calvin has been whoring out Carbon as a trade for anything, so if you DO pick up the wheel then you can have a trifecta of driving (dis)satisfaction.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:21:03 PM »

I don't have one, but a friend has been telling me very good things about it. Not sure if this helps or not.  icon_wink

LiveTAG: happydog
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 11:55:03 PM »

OXM reviewed it in the latest issue.  They were very positive about the hardware and the future potential (Forza 2), but not so excited about it with existing games.  PGR3 didn't handle well and Carbon was only pretty good.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 11:57:50 PM »

It sounds like my best bet is to wait until the release of Forza 2, which is what this steering wheel was designed around.  In the meantime I can pick up The Godfather on my way home and at least take some pleasure in intimidating store owners by shooting off their kneecaps and jamming their heads into pizza ovens.   icon_twisted

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 12:43:49 AM »

$150 is a Little steep for me. I am better or getting 2 new games and 2 cases or beer.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 04:49:42 PM »

Quote from: juniordan on February 09, 2007, 12:43:49 AM

$150 is a Little steep for me. I am better or getting 2 new games and 2 cases or beer.

Yeah, I wound up picking up a few movies I've been meaning to add to my collection (Munich was on sale for $14, Eddie Murphy: Delirious was on sale for $13, and Rent was on sale for $6 - the wife has been wanting to pick it up  ninja), and I grabbed The Godfather: The Game along with a case of Dos Equis Amber for tonight's MP Gears of War session.  Let me tell you, slamming a shop owner's head against his cash register to convince him that protection from the Corleone's is a worthy investment will never get old.  And when factoring in my Best Buy Reward Zone coupons and grocery store bonus card, I only wound up spending around $50 total for everything.  So when my wife gets home today from LA, she should be happy to learn that I ultimately wound up saving her $100.

Hey, she uses that excuse all the time when she finds something on sale.  Why shouldn't it work for me?   ninja   

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 06:38:09 PM »

I got one at Christmas.  It came with PGR3 which was nice.  Anyway, I was really getting frustrated with it.  Really sloppy controls, not to mention I'm often driving with my three year old holding the wheel also. Tongue  Anyway, I went into settings and changed it fromn controller to wheel and it seems to have helped a lot.  I have not tried it sans 3 year old yet though so I'll let you know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: