http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 09:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOA4 - training mode help  (Read 1099 times)
skystride
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2006, 04:08:25 PM »

I heard you can unlock something by completing the training in Sparring mode but I can't finish it with any character!

Does anyone have some tips for this?  I usually fly through the first 70 or so moves and then hit one that just won't succeed.  I don't think it's my lack of co-ordination skills but rather not understanding what is required.

I'll try to give an example:

G=guard
P=punch, K=kick

Character: the top left most chick (kasumi?)
Move Description:

Line 1: Otoko(?) G+P (throw)            
Line 2: / (diagonal top right)  P, G+P

So it seems from line 2 that I'm supposed to counter a high attack and then throw?  However the AI just sits there.

When I watch the demo the following sequence happens:
1. She does a high slap/uppercut (away from the enemy)
2. Does a high counter move (although the opponent is still dormant)
3. Then grabs the opppoenent gives her a good yank while moving behind them

#1 looks like the same move with left trigger (P+K?)
#2 looks like the 1st move on Line 2 (diagonal top right + P counter)
#3 I don't know how to do this

So what am I doing wrong?  The listed commands don't execute the move showed in the demo.

I have similar problems with almost every other character I've tried.  I can be more specific about the exact move number when I get home and on my 360.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 06:14:51 PM »

The first thing I would suggest trying it either
A. getting your character to face away from the opponent, then trying the moves.
B. running around behind the opponent and quickly trying the moves

I had problems with both situations where it wasn't clear what you should do, and/or the opponent not doing what they should be (i.e. turning around to face away from me).

I know the move you are talking about because I had problems with it too. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I had to do to finish it.

As far as the unlocks, they are just a voice option so you can change the announcer's voice to that character. Not all that exciting IMO.

LiveTAG: happydog
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 07:19:53 PM »

FYI I don't think I ever paid any attention to what was on the second line and completed the training mode for one character. I haven't tried with any others.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:58:23 PM »

Ok heres what's up.

some of the fighters have special positions they have to get into. For the drunken master he lies down others fighters have other ones. Some moves mean you have to be in that position before you do it.

I don't remember Kasumi irght now so start over and look for the Otoko position or find it in the command list. The exercise always teaches you the positions first and then teaches the moves that need them. It will tell you if it is a counter because it will say "against high kick" or something like that and the computer will kick at you.  Also, the second line might be telling you how to get into Otoko, I never looked at the second line I always did the first cause it's quicker.  :lol:  If it telling you that than up-right + P should make you do something by itself and that is the Otoko. Try it a couple times. Also what is G + P?  You mean F + P? That is not a counter it is a hold.  F (or G?) is the counter by itself but F + P is a hold. F+P is the same as the A button.

when you find the move number give the name too so we can just look it up in the command list.

If you want to get pissed try Ryu. I did him the other day and there is a three hold move with two different circles that is hard as hell the timing is like a counter. I did it in a game and lost because I was jumping all around celebration.

I put in more stuff below!

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 08:07:32 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"
The first thing I would suggest trying it either
A. getting your character to face away from the opponent, then trying the moves.
B. running around behind the opponent and quickly trying the moves

I had problems with both situations where it wasn't clear what you should do, and/or the opponent not doing what they should be (i.e. turning around to face away from me).

I know the move you are talking about because I had problems with it too. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I had to do to finish it.

As far as the unlocks, they are just a voice option so you can change the announcer's voice to that character. Not all that exciting IMO.

Ok man here is some more for you. It will tell you when your back needs to be facing someone or when they need their back to you. "Back to opponent" or "facing away" or something. I played through 6 so far and on a couple I thought it was wrong or broken but finally i found out i was not doing something right. So keep trying.

On the ones where you back needs to face them you mostly use the left triger to turn so you don't have to walk around.  

If it has a dot instead of the commands right next to each other it means a little pause. So pretend this is a dot: *  It will say PK*F+P that means quick punch and kick and a little pause and then do a hold. If there are little small arrows above the buttons it means hold the button down. hitomi does stuff like that, PPP but the last P has an arros over it. You have to hold the last P. A black d-pad arrow means hold the dpad that way.

The unlocks are kind of dumb but you will get sick of the other voices so you better get them plus it will teach you moves and you need to know em. getting the voices is not the point of exercise.

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 08:58:16 PM »

I know the exact move you're talking about, but unfortunately I can't remember what I did to finish it either.  If you still haven't figured it out, I can try to take a look at it after work and let you know I did it.

Just a quick note on facing.  It's not very clear, but when you have to have YOUR back to the opponent, it says something like "To Foe Behind."  It was very unclear to me at first.. I thought I was supposed to be to my opponent's back, but was wondering why the opponent wasn't turning around.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 09:19:01 PM »

Hey I know this!  Kasumi is the character I’ve spent the most playing, she’s also one of the only characters that has a move requirement that isn’t listed as its own move in her command list.  So unfortunately, it’s not as simple as going back through her list and finding the command for the prereq move (Otoki sp?).  

Here’s what you do (and there are several moves that trigger Otoki):

The easiest way to trigger the Otoki slide is to just hit the Left Trigger and immediately tap right or left.  Kasumi will slide forward in a blur.  If you’re too close to her foe, you won’t see the slide, so back-up a little.  During her Otoki slide you can press F (same as G+P) and she’ll pull off the final move.  This is technically a throw even though it looks like a chop or slice, and it can be interrupted with a simple punch.

You can also trigger Otoki by hitting the right trigger and tapping right or left in the direction you want to slide.  The only difference is that she starts with a kick before the slide rather than a chop.  

Another way is to just hit PPK followed by tapping right or left.  

During the Otoki slide/rush Kasumi can use F for the chop slice move (throw), tap P for a power forearm strike, or hit KK for a rising double knee strike.  The kick and punch are both great and seem to take opponents by surprise since they happen so quick.  All 3 of these can be used with any of the above Otoki  

I hope that’s what you were asking.  If not, disregard.   biggrin
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 09:43:41 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
Hey I know this!  Kasumi is the character I’ve spent the most playing, she’s also one of the only characters that has a move requirement that isn’t listed as its own move in her command list.  So unfortunately, it’s not as simple as going back through her list and finding the command for the prereq move (Otoki sp?).  

The easiest way to trigger the Otoki slide is to just hit the Left Trigger and immediately tap right or left.  Kasumi will slide forward in a blur.  If you’re too close to her foe, you won’t see the slide, so back-up a little.  During her Otoki slide you can press F (same as G+P) and she’ll pull off the final move.  This is technically a throw even though it looks like a chop or slice, and it can be interrupted with a simple punch.

You can also trigger Otoki by hitting the right trigger and tapping right or left in the direction you want to slide.  The only difference is that she starts with a kick before the slide rather than a chop.  

During the Otoki slide/rush Kasumi can use F for the chop slice move (throw), tap P for a power forearm strike, or hit KK for a rising double knee strike.  The kick and punch are both great and seem to take opponents by surprise since they happen so quick.  All 3 of these can be used with any of the above Otoki  

Nice!  Good info.  Something else I can add to my Kasumi arsenal.   :twisted:

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 09:56:12 PM »

Quote from: "Loomi"
Quote from: "Roguetad"

Nice!  Good info.  Something else I can add to my Kasumi arsenal.   :twisted:

I forgot to mention that you need to tap in the direction of her foe.  It's fun to use in combination with the up+F grab from a distance.  If she's far enough away she'll slide in quickly, pause for just a split second, and then leap up and onto her opponents head into a thigh grab.  Most players seem to just pull back to block, rather than get ready for a grab.  She actually jumps a good distance with that grab move to leap onto their head.  Can you tell I've been playing Kasumi too much?
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 10:17:43 PM »

Send me a friend request.  We can have a Kasumi catfight.  smile

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 03:08:40 PM »

Thanks guys, I will try that out.  

(Haven't been able to pull myself away from Guitar Heroes since I finally got it up here in Canada).
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 03:44:02 PM »

hm, no advice here.  some of the moves are just plain hard to get.  my friends and i have only really had trouble with some of Bass's combo throws, some of Tina's combo throws, and Hayate's new throw.

it seems like the special-stance throws can be really hard to get, but i didn't really care about getting Kasumi's voice set, so i didn't bother doing her training more than once (which i only remember very vaguely).

i guess Izuna Drop could be considered a difficult move..but i've been doing it so long now that i don't even notice (and i'm really loving the new version of it, that's similar to the Ninja Gaiden version *heart*).

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: