http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:47:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOA Ultimate?  (Read 8696 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2004, 02:03:54 AM »

I don't know of any direct listings. If you really wanted I could put in the game and take a picture of the screen with the items up on there.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2004, 02:33:22 AM »

Managed to get 50 today smile

And it's pretty easy to tell after a few rounds which are the character items. The generic items drop often enough that you'll come to recognize them very quickly. My advice is to play each character in turn until you know you have all 3 of their items before moving to the next character. Then you won't be left looking at a hole in your collection and wondering who you have to play to fill it.

Each character has somewhat of a theme to what they collect as well. The tengu has a tree and a blue mountain and a green mountain. Hitomi has a coffee pot a bottle of milk and a frying pan with an egg in it. tina has an egg, a chick and a chicken. Pretty easy stuff to spot smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2004, 03:19:32 AM »

I figured out the items thing, got the first screen tonight except for the medal.  50 straight wins?  How?  I get to 7 or 8 on the easy mode, and then survival gets a lot harder it seems.  I can't imagine if it continues to keep getting worse!  Tips?

In particular, there are two things that I'm currently struggling with.  When the AI or another player just starts hitting you for combo after combo, how do you break the string?  I just die at that point.  Also, when the AI starts catching and performing throws on my basic kicks/punches, how do you differentiate your moves to stop that?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2004, 04:29:53 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I figured out the items thing, got the first screen tonight except for the medal.  50 straight wins?  How?  I get to 7 or 8 on the easy mode, and then survival gets a lot harder it seems.  I can't imagine if it continues to keep getting worse!  Tips?

In particular, there are two things that I'm currently struggling with.  When the AI or another player just starts hitting you for combo after combo, how do you break the string?  I just die at that point.  Also, when the AI starts catching and performing throws on my basic kicks/punches, how do you differentiate your moves to stop that?

The key to 50 wins (for me at least)  in survival mode is to play tagteam.  If one character gets whapped a few times, switch to your fully healed character. As suggested earlier in the thread, right as you're about to finish an opponent off, tag again so your wounded character gets the last punch and the full heal.

I also cheerfully admit that my key to getting 50 was to use the ninja guy (bottom left character-Ryu?). You can do a flying triple kick combo with the right trigger that the computer has a very very difficult time defending against. On easy mode I can get almost 10 wins using nothing but that kick before anyone even lays a finger on me.

The opponents do get a little tougher but not very much. As long as you're on easy setting they'll never be higher than what seems like skill level 3 or 4. they seem to slump back down in skill actually after level 20 and then ramp up a little again at 45.

My last and perhaps best tip? Pause the game every 10 fights. Get up and walk around. Take a breather. Come back and go to it like you're back on fight number one smile

As for the defense against combos that's a tough one.  Got to sparring mode, turn on exercises and practice your throws.. If you get nailed with a combo and knocked down, use kick tio get up-this will often get a hit and stun them just long enough for you to launch a fast punch combo and regain the initiative.

Differentiate moves by moving the joystick different directions as you attack. A variety of attack types in rapid succession will keep the AI from getting too many throws on you.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2004, 04:37:37 AM »

If you use the kick thing while you're getting up from the ground, make sure to vary whether you do it high or low. No matter what difficulty you're on the computer eventually catches on if you do the same one. You'll get reversed everytime if you don't change it up.

Once you figure out a pattern that works, you can either hit them as you get up, or just stand straight up and when they try to counter a move you didn't do, you can perform a throw. It works almost like clockwork on easy. Also, try to keep your opponent up against the explosive walls as much as possible. Good characters for this are Ein, Jann Lee, Ryu Hayabusa, and oddly enough.. Gen Fu is also excellent at it.

I have no trouble smashing a character into the walls 4 or 5 times before they die with Ein. It's slightly more challenging with the others.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2004, 01:34:03 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Set life bars to smallest? I can see how that would allow you to drop opponents faster but wouldn't it mean they could drop you that much faster also?  I can just see Ein dropping me out cold on the floor with one of those lightning fast 6 hit combos the AI is so good at.

trust me, the smaller the lifebars the better. That way you spend less time dancing with harder guys later on.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2004, 01:52:32 PM »

You can also find out the three unique items for each character by looking at the win counters on the bottom of the screen.  You'd have to get to 10 wins before seeing the 3rd item though and by then you'll probably have already collected it.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2004, 09:09:43 PM »

Anone have any tips on collecting each character's "rare" item? I've managed to get a grand total of 2 so far, over the course of about 500 fights  :cry:

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2004, 09:42:41 PM »

Anone have any tips on collecting each character's "rare" item? I've managed to get a grand total of 2 so far, over the course of about 500 fights Crying or Very sad

That isn't encouraging.  I didn't know I could do the survival deal in tag team, thanks for that tip.  I'd love to unlock everything, but it seems more then difficult at the moment.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2004, 10:59:35 PM »

Anone have any tips on collecting each character's "rare" item? I've managed to get a grand total of 2 so far, over the course of about 500 fights  :cry:

Wow. Seriously.

The only characters that took me more than 10 minutes to get the rare item for where Tengu and Lei Fang. In both cases it's because they're "Down attack" is pathetic.

The rest all appeared within the first 10 to 20 wins of playing with them in survival.

Really crazy that you've played that much and gotten only two of the items.

Just out of curiosity, how much time have you sunk into the game at that point? It tells you when you go into the options screen.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2004, 01:24:35 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"

Wow. Seriously.

The only characters that took me more than 10 minutes to get the rare item for where Tengu and Lei Fang. In both cases it's because they're "Down attack" is pathetic.

The rest all appeared within the first 10 to 20 wins of playing with them in survival.

Really crazy that you've played that much and gotten only two of the items.

Just out of curiosity, how much time have you sunk into the game at that point? It tells you when you go into the options screen.

Not sure, as I'm upstairs on the PC instead of downstairs on the x-box Tongue We've had it a week and I'd guess we've put  20-30 hours in all told.  Admittedly when attempting to get the rare items I haven't been using the down attack very much, mostly because  I can rarely get the attack to go off before the opponent is back up and swinging, so most of my chances at getting the rare items have come from KOs. I do realize I'd increase my odds by getting better at the down attack-will have to work on that.

Movie_Guy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2004, 08:21:03 PM »

Getting the unique items for each character took longer than I would have liked (only had 2 after a couple of hours) until I found a quick and easy way.

Use the "tag team" survival option and select one character that you dont have the unique item for and use the male wrestler for the other.  Use him on easy and just do the following attack: up+kick, then down+kick.  If timed right you can do a kick that knocks your opponent off their feet followed directly by a "stomp" attack which gives you an item.  I was able to beat the first 5-6 opponents this way without tagging and getting 4-6 items per opponent.  You can use aother character with a powerful drop attack, but I found his to be the easiest.

Now when the unique item is dropped (a wrestling championchip belt) simply tag out and the item changes to your other characters unique item.

Once I used this approach I got all the remaining unique items for the characters in an hour or so.  Hope this helps.......
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2004, 10:21:32 PM »

Quote from: "Movie_Guy"
Getting the unique items for each character took longer than I would have liked (only had 2 after a couple of hours) until I found a quick and easy way.

Use the "tag team" survival option and select one character that you dont have the unique item for and use the male wrestler for the other.  Use him on easy and just do the following attack: up+kick, then down+kick.  If timed right you can do a kick that knocks your opponent off their feet followed directly by a "stomp" attack which gives you an item.  I was able to beat the first 5-6 opponents this way without tagging and getting 4-6 items per opponent.  You can use aother character with a powerful drop attack, but I found his to be the easiest.

Now when the unique item is dropped (a wrestling championchip belt) simply tag out and the item changes to your other characters unique item.

Once I used this approach I got all the remaining unique items for the characters in an hour or so.  Hope this helps.......

Very slick man. I only have 22 hours into the game, but I do imagine doing that would have cut some time off the total before I had unlocked all of it.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2004, 12:28:22 AM »

Good trick!

We've been simp,ly doing throw followed by down attack ad infinitum. Usually gets us 3 or 4 drops per opponent, sometimes 5 or 6. Only takes 20-30 minutes of that to get the rare, with some exceptions. When I went after Zack's rare it was the 2nd drop  smile

But then I got Tengu's rare to drop and wasn't able to get to it  :x

Had to take a break after that

Movie_Guy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2004, 04:34:01 PM »

But then I got Tengu's rare to drop and wasn't able to get to it  

I had that happen a couple of times too and it was pretty frustrating.  It seemed that the opponent got more aggressive when I had to try and manuver to get the special item.  Drove me nuts.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2004, 05:03:52 PM »

But then I got Tengu's rare to drop and wasn't able to get to it  

I had that happen a couple of times too and it was pretty frustrating.  It seemed that the opponent got more aggressive when I had to try and manuver to get the special item.  Drove me nuts.

Yep, precisely what happened. Was fighting (don't remember the character name) the guy you unlock that uses russian martial arts. As soon as the rare item dropped he dropped me into the three part wrestling throw he has-damage from hitting the floor, damage from him cracking your back, and then damage again as he twists your legs around.  I staggered to me feet only to have him start repeating the process. Watched the rare item fade away as Kasumi announced 'Game Over'

My roommate managed to get it as well as another rare last night while we were waiting for WoW to install, so it all worked out in the end.

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2004, 03:30:24 PM »

For the rare items... play on Easy with the longest life bars.  For each character, do their throw and then the down attack repeatedly.  If you don't get it after 3-4 KOs, quit out and start over because after the first couple rounds, the computer won't lie on the ground for that long anymore.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: