http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 02:59:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOA Ultimate?  (Read 8618 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2004, 08:16:21 AM »

How's the online play?  I'm holding off because I found both the Capcom fighting game and Guilty Gear to be kind of shitty online, give or take a couple of non-laggy fights.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2004, 01:36:42 PM »

To unlock Hitomi, you have to have a DOA3 save file and beat story mode with Ein.  

Online, from a lag standpoint, is ok.  Most of my fights were pretty lag free, but it seemed like there was always one person in the room who was lagging so every time that person fought, things got choppy.  The arcade room idea works out pretty well, I think.  It's not as fun as having a bunch of people in one room passing controllers around, but it's a decent substitution.  Waiting for your next fight can get a little boring if the people in the room aren't talkative.

Is this game not Live Aware?  After playing online for a bit, I decided to open up some costumes.  I was hoping I would still show up as online.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2004, 03:05:22 PM »

Thanks Loomi - I guess I gotta go back a bit on DOA3 for Hitomi.

It's not Live Aware which kinda sucks because I kept checking in a few times last night and must have missed you guys.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2004, 03:58:27 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Thanks Loomi - I guess I gotta go back a bit on DOA3 for Hitomi.

It's not Live Aware which kinda sucks because I kept checking in a few times last night and must have missed you guys.

Plus you've got to, you know, accept a friend request. Tongue

I unlocked a few costumes (between 3 - 8 costumes for each char) and did some online gaming last night. The nice thing about the lag is that BOTH people experience it... it would be more frustrating if only one person did. I've got all but hitomi unlocked. I've beaten the story mode on normal default with Ein 4 or 5 times. <sigh> Anyone have a copy of DOA3 lyin' around? slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2004, 09:29:20 PM »

Sorry Purge!! Didn't see it yet - Might be on some time tonight!!  smile

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2004, 10:54:01 PM »

I don't think you accepted my request either.  :cry:

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2004, 01:29:37 AM »

I thought I did get yours Loomi!!

I'll check again - Sorry guys!!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2004, 04:32:14 AM »

All Set! biggrin

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2004, 05:49:32 PM »

I've gone through the game a bunch of times already. Unlocked Bayman, Tengu, and Hitomi so I'm done with extra characters. I have all the costumes for Bayman, Ein, Leon, and Zack too. I haven't gotten into getting costumes for all the female characters yet because most of them have 20(!) and require you to get through the game on hard difficulty to earn the last 6 or so. Fun game. I still miss the expanded movesets from DOA3, but I'm getting used to the differences again and it's getting easier to go through the game on Normal. I should be good to go through the Hard mode after a few more trips through with a couple of my lesser-played characters.

One thing I have to say is it's kind of lame that Hitomi's only available to those that have a DOA3 save. I have one and I have her unlocked too, but it's kind of crap that one of their unlockables is only unlockable if you forked up cash for one of their previous games too. It's not affecting my game experience any, but I imagine if I'd skipped on DOA3 I'd be pretty frustrated at that little question mark box being on my character select screen forever.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2004, 01:22:34 AM »

Okay, here's my question.   I have several friends who like to play DOA, since each profile saves its own unlocked and scoreboard, I'm wondering if there is anyway to type in names on the scoreboards instead of the automatic profile name.

Thanks,

Travis

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2004, 02:32:48 AM »

So, if I rent DOA3 and beat story mode with Ein then it will unlock the character in this one? That's all I need to do?

I haven't played any of the prior DOA titles so I'm having quite a lot of fun with this one. We've unlocked a lot of the costumes and are currently using the sparring exercise mode to try and learn some of the more obscure moves. The catch we've run into there is that some of the characters have moves that can only be completed "while standing", which apparently means you have to be in the process of getting up from the ground? Since the sparring partner just stands there it makes these seem impossible to complete since you can't knock yourself down.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2004, 02:49:45 AM »

I gotta re-play DOA3 now to get Hitomi...grrrr....

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2004, 05:56:41 AM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
The catch we've run into there is that some of the characters have moves that can only be completed "while standing", which apparently means you have to be in the process of getting up from the ground? Since the sparring partner just stands there it makes these seem impossible to complete since you can't knock yourself down.

Stand beside your opponent, crouch (press down) and while releasing it do the required combination. I know Zack and Leon have a move that requires this.

Oh, and completing certain exercise routines unlocks new voices for the announcer. You can then go into options : other and change the voices. I've completed most characters, and unlocked 3 or 4 voices thus far.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2004, 07:24:10 AM »

For anybody that wants what I found to be a quicker way to unlock everything:

Go ahead and unlock Hitomi, Ein, and Tengu, but then drop story/time attack and just get into survival.

First, collect each character's 3 special items as they drop to the ground, as soon as you get your current character's 3 different items, lose, and switch to the next. Once you've gathered all of the character-specific items, and the common ones, pick your best character, and get 50 wins in survival. This is not nearly as difficult as it sounds, I promise. If you can't do it on normal feel free to switch it to easy. It has no effect on whether you unlock anything or not. Just don't change the lifebars or time limit!

After you get 50 wins and pick up the medal that drops, just lose and go back to the main menu. If you go into the "collection" mode, you'll notice that there's an arrow on the right to a new set of items for you to collect. Each character has one rare item that drops. Play survival with each character until you get their special item. They're hard to miss in most cases, as they're things you don't see often at all. For instance, Leon's was a huge freakin missile.

Once you've collected all the items possible in survival mode, the game automatically unlocks Everything[/b]. That means all costumes, the DOA3 Booster Pack, a blurb from the G4 Icons show about the history of DOA (Not the full episode, just parts of it edited together. Still not too shabby), the CG Gallery mode, and anything else you didn't have unlocked.

The only thing this won't unlock is the announcer voices. You still have to do the sparring mode exercises with the respective characters to earn those. I currently have Ein and Kasumi's voices available so at least those two are confirmed to work.

Of course.. you're welcome to play through the story mode like 130 times or however many it takes to earn all the costumes that way, but I found the Survival mode to be a far quicker way to do it.

Also, I'm proud of myself:

Woo! 10th in the world baby.

I'm confident that if I spend some time with the game I can grab the #1 spot. I just need a teensy bit more consistency in my fight strategies with Ein before I can manage it.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2004, 10:00:16 AM »

thanks for the tip Thin_J!

and grats, that's pretty impressive lol
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2004, 01:20:46 PM »

Can you unlock Hitomi too with that method Thin_J?  Or do I still need the DOA 3 save for that?  Thanks for the tips!

How about more general strategies here?  I suck, and almost just mash buttons now.  Are there good moves to string together, or any other real strategies?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2004, 03:06:55 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Woo! 10th in the world baby.

Well, I know what room NOT to stay in.  smile

I'm going to have to try opening everything via the survival route because I don't see myself beating the game that many times with every character.  As it is, I'm getting annoyed just trying to open all of Kasumi's costumes.

I fought a guy with an A+ rating on Saturday.  Wow.... talk about a beating.  I have never been so thoroughly and consistently crushed in a fighting game.    The term "pwnage" comes to mind.  I fought three matches against him before leaving the room and if you combine all the damage I did in those three matches, it wasn't enough to even win one round.   Brutal.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2004, 03:16:33 PM »

You bastards are making want to buy an xbox. Nevermind the fact that I'm still playing GTA SA, Nocturne, FFTA, CS, and soon to be playing WoW. *sigh*

Ascendent
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2004, 01:26:32 AM »

You're down to 22. You need to defend your title, yo.

Mind you, I'm tied for 1192. Tongue

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2004, 02:28:33 AM »

To unlock Hitomi, you have to have a DOA3 save file and beat story mode with Ein.

This didn't work either!!! Killing me!!

Not you guys, you are helpful, I'm just having a hard time finding the right things to unlock her... :cry:

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2004, 03:29:28 AM »

Also, to the questions about unlocking Hitomi: As far as I can tell you still need the DOA3 save, and have to go through the story mode with Ein on normal to unlock her. It worked the first time for me.

As for the survival mode thing..  let me clarify, you still have to beat the game on story mode on normal difficulty with every character at least one time in order to unlock Tengu. Bayman will be unlocked when you beat it with Leon. If you don't do this first you can't gather their items in the survival mode. And it seems that if you don't have a DOA3 save you can't do it at all because you can't get Hitomi's items. This is a shame, and a bad decision on the part of Tecmo as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless, when you finally grab those last special items and leave survival to see the all of the "Unlocked" messages it's pretty cool. Gave me a pretty nice sense of accomplishment.

Quote from: "Purge"
You're down to 22. You need to defend your title, yo.

Mind you, I'm tied for 1192. Tongue

Didn't have time to play at all tonight. Came home from work and just flat crashed on the couch.

Kind of disappointing.

I think while I most likely could hold my own and stay up there in the top 10, reality is going to set in and I'll realize I can never manage to stay up there for more than a day before 100 other people decide they want up there. I'lll have to give it another shot on Wednesday when I'm off work. I bet if I work on it on normal difficulty it would be easier to hold a ranking for a longer amount of time. I'll have to piddle around in both and see what happens smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2004, 04:01:31 AM »

Went back and finished the story mode for DOA 3 - Finished the Story mode for DOA 2U.

Still no Hitomi  :cry:

What am I missing!!! :x

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2004, 04:21:25 AM »

Devil, did you change any options for the story mode?

Everything needs to be at the default settings to unlock Hitomi.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2004, 04:49:06 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Went back and finished the story mode for DOA 3 - Finished the Story mode for DOA 2U.

Still no Hitomi  :cry:

What am I missing!!! :x

you might have to have Ein unlocked in doa3.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2004, 04:52:19 AM »

quickest way to get the 9 items in survival.

Set to Easy (duh)
Since you're going to have to play everyone to get each item (3x3 per person) I recommend doing the following:

In battle with the first 3 - 5 people, they're chumps. Throw em to the ground, and hit em while prone. (they drop extra items that way). Quit, and start again until you have all 3 items. I've been collecting 3+ to be sure. I dunno if it's necessary though.

Damned Hitomi thing; I don't have DOA3 anymore. Waiting for a buddy to get back into town so I can borrow his. <sigh>

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2004, 04:59:44 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Set to Easy (duh)
Since you're going to have to play everyone to get each item (3x3 per person) I recommend doing the following:

In battle with the first 3 - 5 people, they're chumps. Throw em to the ground, and hit em while prone. (they drop extra items that way). Quit, and start again until you have all 3 items. I've been collecting 3+ to be sure. I dunno if it's necessary though.

I did that too. It only works really well with certain characters, but for those characters it was a blessing. Two that I had a pathetically terribile time getting the special item for were Lei Fang and Tengu. The game just didn't want me to have those last two, and both of those characters have terrible down attacks. I think the best was Bass. He has that quick stomp move, and I think there were several times when I managed to hit someone 7 times when they were down.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2004, 07:10:45 AM »

Ok, let me see if I understand right about getting items for the collection. Initially you just seem to get random item drops. At 50 wins (in a single session?) you get a medal and apparently unlock  special item slots. Each character has 3 special items that you have to get from them?  Why do you have to play every character? Do some just not get certain opponents are items?

Is that even vaguely right? I'm a total DOA noob-I need these things spelled out Tongue

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2004, 01:40:34 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Ok, let me see if I understand right about getting items for the collection. Initially you just seem to get random item drops. At 50 wins (in a single session?) you get a medal and apparently unlock  special item slots. Each character has 3 special items that you have to get from them?  Why do you have to play every character? Do some just not get certain opponents are items?

Is that even vaguely right? I'm a total DOA noob-I need these things spelled out Tongue

K, lets go over this step-by-step. (since there's three versions of instructions, it can get kind of confusing).

You need to get 1 of every collectable item. Each character has an exclusive set of 3.
Ein, for instance, has a Katana, a throwing knife, and a shuriken; where Tengu has a tree, a mountain(green) and Mount Fugi (blue). So yes, you will need to play each character. This includes Hitomi.  :angry: There are also a few non-character-specific items, such as Riceball, Carrot, Lipstick, and prototype Xbox (there may be 1 or 2 more, don't remember). You'll end up getting lots of these, so don't worry.

The last item is, as I understand it, a medallion. You only get this item for beating 50+ opponents. You can do this first if you want, or do it last. It's up to you.

Once your collection is complete, you get a second collection list, and then you'll need to fight with each character all over again to get their special item.

To get items, either defeat (gives you 1 item, lasts about 15 seconds before disappearing), or while the enemy is lying down, you should hit them. (generally it's Down+punch or Down+kick, or the Up+punch+kick)

Tengu's Up+Free+Punch+Kick I found most effective as he always knocks people back, but this is a flying drop which rarely misses.  I agree with you about Lei Fang, took longer than needed.  :roll:

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2004, 02:45:57 PM »

Can you play Hitomi online when you unlock her, and is she a good character to use?  Have people found that the various characters are balanced and there is a good mix online, or does everyone favor one person?

---
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2004, 04:26:49 PM »

Yup, you can use Hitomi online.  

You will probably see a lot of Kasumi, Hayabusa, and Jann Lee.  Kasumi because she's the face of the game, Hayabusa because of Ninja Gaiden, and Jann Lee because he's powerful.  Hitomi and Ayane seem to be just a tier below those top three.  These are just my gut feelings, but I think you can get the real numbers by checking the Popularity rankings on XBL.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2004, 05:39:50 PM »

Ok, think the light just dawned. I was thinking each character had 3 items that they dropped-meaning you could kick everyone's butt with your favorite character then beat him with your second fave to get all of the items. Whereas it sounds like in actuality it's the opposite. No matter who Ein is fighting he's going to be getting the same drops, hence the need to play each character.

That was the part I was conused on. It's all so clear to me now smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2004, 02:28:19 AM »

Finally unlocked Hitomi!!

I guess order matters. I went through the story mode in DOA2U with everyone. Then went back and finished story mode in DOA3 (thus getting a DOA3 Save on my HD). But no Hitomi! Went and playe Ein's story again and bang - She's there!!

I guess you need the DOA3 save on your HD before you start the whole DOA2U thing OR play Ein again!

biggrin

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2004, 03:03:13 AM »

Glad you finally got it all figured out and have her unlocked.

Just out of curiosity, Is there a special reason people are so drawn to unlocking Hitomi? Is it just because she's there and everybody wants everything unlocked?

I ask because she's one of my least favorite characters. To me she's a far less efficient and less fun to play version of Ein, with a neutered moveset. I just don't see the draw to her character at all. Either aesthetically or from a gameplay standpoint.  Ein is just as quick, more powerful, and far easier to get into initially because of just a few certain moves.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2004, 03:09:43 AM »

I wanted to unlock her because, as another playable character, it's a bigger deal than another costume to me.

I also like playing with her because I think she's a nice blend of everything and moves at a pace I can handle. I'm sure there are better characters with more moves but for a guy who isn't all that good (like me) I need to stay comfortable and she fits the bill.  biggrin

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2004, 01:48:06 PM »

Has anyone been playing online this week?  My dad is in from out of town and he's staying with me so my game time has been cut a little.  In the little time I've had, I've been working on unlocking everything.  I've gotten the medal for 50 survival wins and all the items except the six for the two characters I haven't unlocked.  That is obviously the next order of business and then it's time for rare item hunting.  

Either way, how's the CG online turn out.  Are there enough people to get our own room going.  Is that even a good idea with the possible difference in skill levels?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2004, 02:58:31 PM »

Scott and I played last night and it was fun! I have nothing more to add.  :wink:

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2004, 06:29:00 PM »

My roomies and I are starting to come to the conclusion that we really suck at this game Tongue

Even on easy setting tag team playing Survival mode we haven't been able to get more than 27 wins. The 50 win medal is seeming a long ways away

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2004, 09:30:40 PM »

I'm no expert, but I'll offer a couple tips that helped me get through.  Set life bars to smallest if they're not already there.  

In DOA tag, you can extend combos by tagging.  Get a few hits, tag, get a few hits, tag...etc etc.  When I got the medal, I was using Kasumi and Hayabusa and I whored their punch combos A LOT.  I'd do Kasumi's 4 punch combo, then tag in Ryu and do his 3-4 punch combo, then back to Kasumi etc.  I think that as long as you end with a hit, you can come in with a quick tag.  Eventually, you'll knock the opponent out of reach, but you can get combos longer than the usual 4-5 hits if you tag in and out like this.

I'm not sure on this, but sometimes it seemed like only the character I was fighting with got the health bonus after a win.  Because of this, if I had someone really hurting, I'd try to bring them in for the final blow so they'd get the health increase.  It might sound risky, but it's not bad if you get some hits in and take advantage of the quick tag mentioned above.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2004, 09:33:42 PM »

Set life bars to smallest? I can see how that would allow you to drop opponents faster but wouldn't it mean they could drop you that much faster also?  I can just see Ein dropping me out cold on the floor with one of those lightning fast 6 hit combos the AI is so good at.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2004, 01:47:46 AM »

Is there a good list of items to collect for each character anywhere?  How can I tell what I have to get?

---
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: