http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:11:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you use quick save? [DS]  (Read 870 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »

I was reading a review on the MTV Multiplayer Blog regarding the new Final Fantasy game on DS and one of their Lows was regarding no Quick Save.  Here's what they had to say:

The DS is ideal for jumping into a game when you have five or ten minutes to play; "Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light" is not. Save points are only found in towns and in dungeons right before you're about to battle a boss. This unfortunately means that you need to battle through an entire dungeon in one sitting, hoping to make it to the save point, or you may have to run all the way back to the closest village if you're subway stop is coming up, negating any forward progress you've made in the game.

Now, my question is...has this guy ever heard of just closing the lid?  No, it doesn't save, but it is basically a pause that uses minimal battery.  In fact, I never use Quick Save in DS games.  I aways just close the lid or if I want to turn it completely off, which is pretty much never, I just do it when I am given a save.  I've just never been in a scenario where I had to turn the DS off and was in a place where I needed to use Quick Save to do so.

What say you?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 01:45:04 PM »

I think it depends on how much you swap out games.  Personally, I tend toward one game at a time so sleep mode works just as well as Quick Save for me most of the time.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »

I tend to play one game at a time too.  And I'll just close the lid.  I very rarely quick save.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »

I use Quick Save because closing the lid offers no protection in case you forget about it and the battery runs out. It doesn't help that my DS gives no indication whatsoever that the battery is about to die, so I'm unwilling to take that risk.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 09, 2010, 03:02:54 PM

It doesn't help that my DS gives no indication whatsoever that the battery is about to die, so I'm unwilling to take that risk.

Really?  What model DS do you have?  My Lite has a green light in the corner that flashes when it's got a game loaded in sleep mode, and if the battery gets low the light blinks red.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »

I like to play many different games on the DS and will let a lot of time go by between play sessions.  Mid-dungeon, I would probably close the lid and try to get back to it, but I feel like the option should be there in case I don't.  More to the point, quicksaves are common in modern games (especially on handheld devices).  Not including one does seem like a comparative knock against it. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »

I use quick save all the time. I'm very battery-conscious, so anything that saves my battery is appreciated.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »

I never use it, because I tend to play one thing at a time, like the others. I could see why people might want it, but to suggest that's the only way to pause a game because you're at your bus stop seems a bit silly.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »

Add in the fact that Nintendo has just said the 3DS will have a shorter battery life, and not bothering with a quicksave seems potentially problematic.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »

I jump around games all the time, so quick save is very nice to have.  I really don't understand the reason why a developer would not include it.  It can't be difficult to program, so why leave it out?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »

Yeah, I can definitely see how people would want it there.  I just found it interesting that I never use it in any game that has it and others feel like t is a major flaw not to have it.  I agree they should probably have it in there as an option for those that use it.  It just got me wondering how many were like me.  I, too, only play one DS game at a time, usually, so don't need to swap carts, but even if I did, I think I would only swap if I got to a part in this particular game that has a full save.  I wouldn't just want to swap out in the middle of things.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 09:08:09 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 09, 2010, 08:27:34 PM

I jump around games all the time, so quick save is very nice to have.  I really don't understand the reason why a developer would not include it.  It can't be difficult to program, so why leave it out?

Because making the space for more rewritable memory is expensive on a cart? That's all I can think of.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »

I've literally left my DS on and closed for days on end.  I remember at least a couple times where I got it out and opened it up intending to turn it on only to find I had left a game running previously smile
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 10:13:07 AM »

I use it occasionally.  There's been a couple times where I've come back to my DS to find the battery dead and I hadn't saved in awhile.  icon_frown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »

i power off the DS whenever I'm not using it, so any sort of 'quick save' functionality is appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: