http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:48:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you still get excited for games by id?  (Read 1023 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:19:29 PM »

Not sure if I should have started this in PC, but as Game Informer is 99.5% about Console gaming I figured I'd start it here.

The article in GI is about their new outdoor game called Rage.  The photos (haven't read the article yet) are typical id- very dense (as in thick) characters with very detailed skin and stuff, but it all looks meh AFAIC.

Question is pretty simple.  Personally, I haven't purchased an id game since Doom II.  I skipped Doom 3 because most of the feedback I read about it wasn't overwhelmingly awesome and I wasn't in the mood for another dark hallway shooter. I only ever played one game in the Quake franchise (solely for sp) and it was long before I became an MP gamer.

Is id still on your must buy list?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »

As far as I am concerned id is an engine shop, not a game shop. They don't sell anything directly that I am compelled to buy.

This really should be in PC Gaming. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »

Don't care about their shooters anymore, but my ears would perk up if they mentioned resurrecting Commander Keen.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »

Most of what I read in that article made the game sound like Fallout 3, which is pretty funny considering Zenimax bought them...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »

it depends on what game it is.  Quake and Doom no, Rage yes.   Rage will be a PC purchase for me though.

oh, and the game is supposed to be huge, so 360 owners with small HD's will porbably have to switch discs or clear just about everything else off their HD's.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 04:45:13 PM »

i played doom 3 for a bit until the repetitious mechanics of the gameplay became obvious and i tired of plodding through.  i do appreciate what the engine did like the keypad interaction and such and obviously, it was a very nice looking shooter.  in the end, i feel like a lot of us probably do when playing an id game;  i can't wait to see what X does with this engine. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »

Doom and Quake were all about LAN mplay IMO and so many other games have since surpassed them. I'd personally even rate UT3 over any recent ID games for mplay and considering the poor online community UT3 has, that's isn't saying a lot. I did buy a preowned version of Doom 3 CE, but I got to a point where I didn't know where to proceed and haven't gone back. If id had included local co-op instead of just online, I probably would have finished it.

I've read so little about Rage, that I really don't know what to think about it. I can't fault id on it's production values in many of their games, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and likely at least rent it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »

Yep, I am interested in Rage...even though most of the community hated Doom 3, I played through it all and enjoyed it.  Quake 3 was one of my first online loves.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:23:45 PM »

Yes, I do.  I enjoyed Doom 3, and am looking forward to Rage as well.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »

I'm VERY excited about Rage
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 05:46:38 PM »

I'm not as excited about this game as I was Doom 3. But Doom 3 was their last real company produced game which was 5 years ago. Back then what you could still do with a 3D engine was quite new. We were amazed by real-time lighting effects, physics and even simple stuff like enemies that could interact with the environment. Since then there's been a lot of impressive 3D engines (Half-Life/Fear/Crysis) and there doesn't seem to be the huge jump in technology used in these engines that are mind blowing anymore. It's mainly improvement on graphics/physics.

I didn't see anything in the Rage preview that had me asking how they did that or wondering if I was looking at something real-time or CG.

I'm sure there's going to be some neat unexpected technology improvements but based on what I've seen so far I'm not jumping out of my seat in excitement for it like their last game.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »

not since Quake 1, after that, they pretty much sucked.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 22, 2009, 01:25:09 PM

As far as I am concerned id is an engine shop, not a game shop. They don't sell anything directly that I am compelled to buy.

Exactly right.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 06:38:42 PM »

I get excited about their engines. Their engines blow the shit out of the shitty unreal ones every damn time, but no one uses them. The engine rage is running on is nothing short of amazing at what it can do. if only carmack was willing to license them out more.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 06:44:53 PM »

I don't even really think that the WOW factor of Rage is the engine, but what they are doing with it.  This might actually be a game worthy of my Planetside time slywink
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »

my new computer will be built with the specs of Rage in mind
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »

Nope.  id could do no wrong in my eyes up until they released Quake 3.  I know a lot of people liked Quake 3, but it just didn't seem to be the giant step forward I hoped it would be.   Doom 3 looked great (if you had the rig to run it), but the game play was very shallow especially compared to the increased competition in the FPS space.   I have practically no interest in Rage at this point.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »

id's games have never been on my must buy list, but Rage is looking spectacular.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 11:28:34 PM »

Id hasn't made good games since they allowed Carmack to make gameplay decisions.  Honestly, he's a great programmer, but leave the gameplay decisions to the game designers who know how to make games beyond monster closets.

They still make great engines though, but again they got overshadowed by Epic who made a great engine and supported it so much it became an industry standard.

It's pretty clear that Carmack had little to do with Rage's design, other than the engine and what kind of engine he wanted to make.

Can you sense the hate yet?  My dislike of Carmack stems a bit from him ironically saying stuff along the lines that game development was getting old and tired for him, when in reality he was making the old and tired stuff.  Go do rocket science, but otherwise don't criticize the industry for not being interesting when you really aren't moving it forward all that much.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 11:35:09 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on July 22, 2009, 10:14:52 PM

Nope.  id could do no wrong in my eyes up until they released Quake 3.  I know a lot of people liked Quake 3, but it just didn't seem to be the giant step forward I hoped it would be.   Doom 3 looked great (if you had the rig to run it), but the game play was very shallow especially compared to the increased competition in the FPS space.   I have practically no interest in Rage at this point.

This except I am looking forward to Rage.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 01:35:17 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 22, 2009, 11:28:34 PM

Id hasn't made good games since they allowed Carmack to make gameplay decisions.  Honestly, he's a great programmer, but leave the gameplay decisions to the game designers who know how to make games beyond monster closets.

Maybe they need to get John Romero to help. slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: