http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:20:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you get pissed off sometimes when gaming?  (Read 2917 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »

Playing video games should be a fun, relaxing time.  But sometimes... when you're playing a multiplayer game competitively, some people get a little too invested in their performance.

What about you?  Are you the person heard cussing when losing in a game?  Or maybe are you so incredibly focused on your performance that you can't be bothered to do anything else when playing?  Do you hit things?

The reason I bring this up is because my fiancee brought up the point that I do sometimes get pissed when playing games.  Well, I shouldn't say 'pissed'... I get frustrated.  With myself and how I play really.  I don't ever get upset about the fact that some HAXXORED or whatever... I get frustrated at my own performance.

I've been known, several years ago, to let the controller fly.  Even punch the couch or whatever.  One time I kicked a Dreamcast.  Nowadays, I don't get very pissed at all... just every once and awhile I'll like, slap my forehead or something in a 'doh!' sort of gesture.  I dunno, I guess I like hearing the slap noise   icon_lol

My fiancee also brought up the point that I don't get pissed playing like, Hot Shots online.  Or Gran Turismo.  Only games that involve GUNS.  And looking back on it, I did get pissed at Gears of War... little bit at Warhawk... and I have gotten pissed at Metal Gear Online.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:32:55 AM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:59:26 PM »

I definitely get angry while playing games.  That usually happens when there's some bad design decision or stupid mistake/cheesy death that forces me to repeat the same section of a game multiple times.  I hate repeating sections, as it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, and it's only worse when there's something like an unskippable cutscene involved.  I end up ripping out these very animated and colorful rants directed at the designers usually.  I don't generally get angry and yell when playing MP, I just stop playing when I realize I'm sucking.

I've gotten better about this because I generally stop playing when I feel that kind of anger coming on.  Once I get that angry, I'm only going to play worse, which just makes me angrier, and the whole thing stops being fun.  Worse, if my last memory of a game was being so frustrated that I was angry and yelling, I'm unlikely to play again and risk repeating that experience.  So I've gotten much better about just shutting the game off when that starts to happen.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:06:35 PM »

Oh lawds yes.

I've never thrown a controller (some primitive part of my brain understands that breaking my own hardware = bad), but I will punch pillows, hit myself in the leg repeatedly, and let out streams of profanity that would make a sailor blush. In fact, any given game's difficulty is directly proportional to the amount of profanity that escapes my lips during my total play time. I bet you could chart it on a graph and put it on the back of the game box and come up with the most reliable indicator ever of a game's challenge level. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »

sure, I would think everyone gets pissed sometimes.  I curse up a storm pretty often, but I have never thrown or kicked anything
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:08:31 PM »

Answer: Yes, particularly when COD4 spawns me directly on top of a grenade, at ground zero of an airstrike, or directly in front of the guy with shotgun.  As a matter of fact, I spend about 40% of my Live COD4 games laughing, 50% cussing, and 9% screaming at how fucked the balance of this game is, and the last 1% silently loathing it and wishing I could get my two brothers to buy PC's made in this century so we could play TF2 on Steam.  icon_confused

On Single player, never.  If a game annoys me there, It's banished to the 'Done" pile and I'm onto one oft he literally dozens of games in my backlog.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:25:17 PM »

Nope.

LiveTAG: happydog
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »

There is a reason I don't play MP very much anymore.  I fucking HATE losing and I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to play as much as some of the kids on XBL do.  It's aggravating.

gellar
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:34:54 PM »

Quick answer: HELL YES

Especially on MP.  But I'm finding that if I can't figure out a game's control or interface (and have to refer to the freaking manual) that seem to piss me off far more than the dweebs online.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:41:47 PM »

Yeah, in games where I *THINK* I should be doing better, I get totally frustrated.  Or if I feel I'm getting robbed somehow.  Which both happen to be the case in Metal Gear Online biggrin

But yeah, like depward, I can be laid-back for certain games (Hot Shots, sports games in general), but for some...oooh I get a little hot under the collar.

TheMissingLink on PSN
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:47:13 PM »

I broke a GC controller from viewtiful joe. thanks for making me do half a level over for dying in a boss you bastards. I have thrown my drum sticks across the room resulting in one breaking. Which is the main reason I will never attempt RttH again.

I guess it's mostly due to poor design decisions that piss me off the most. When you make something so insanely hard by cheesing it. That's a cop out and I hate that.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:50:30 PM »

Not generally.  The only time(s) in recent memory involve COD4 MP, where by my perspective, I absolutely got the kill, but the  360 serving the game decided otherwise.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:07 PM »

Sometimes? I don't recall when I'm not screaming at the TV/monitor. I should record myself playing Team Fortress 2 sometime. My favorite phrase seems to be, "****ing crit rocket. That's such bull****!"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »

Yeah mostly in MP games when I got owned bad.  However, sometimes in SP I do as well, for example COD4 on Veteran is stroke-inducing.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 28, 2008, 10:59:26 PM

I definitely get angry while playing games.  That usually happens when there's some bad design decision or stupid mistake/cheesy death that forces me to repeat the same section of a game multiple times.  I hate repeating sections, as it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, and it's only worse when there's something like an unskippable cutscene involved.  I end up ripping out these very animated and colorful rants directed at the designers usually.  I don't generally get angry and yell when playing MP, I just stop playing when I realize I'm sucking.

This is me too.  The Meat Circus level of Psychonauts was the last that had me cursing like this.  Zero Punctuation had it right when he mentioned how the difficulty went through the roof at the end.  I was so F'ing pissed off at the end levels of Psychonauts that it almost ruined the game for me.

MP doesn't bug me as much - I just don't play with those people much, greatly preferring to keep my MP to my friends list and the Geezer's Gone Wild games. 

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »

Quote from: depward on April 28, 2008, 10:37:00 PM

Playing video games should be a fun, relaxing time.  But sometimes... when you're playing a multiplayer game competitively, some people get a little too invested in their performance.

apparently some people get so pissed they cannot link right  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 12:57:39 AM »

I don't get upset during MP usually.  I try to play with folks who have a sense of humor about winning...which, when playing against me, will occur more often than not.  However, I do remember being addicted to C&C: Red Alert MP and getting annoyed frequently when playing people who'd taunt you when they were winning.  One of the sweetest moments in my gaming history came after getting into a match with a guy who had mercilessly teased me in a previous match a few weeks earlier.  I remembered his game name because he had been a complete ass towards me.  Obviously, he didn't remember me as he didn't bring it up during the entire rematch.  Oddly, I won...and when he started bitching that I had somehow or another had an advantage otherwise I wouldn't have won, I typed back using horrible grammar that I had to go because mommy and daddy were yelling it was bed time.  He then asked how old I was and I simply replied:  "6".

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 01:08:48 AM »

Yes I do. Especially when I am playing something worse than I should be. Tell Jess to relax-its like when she can't nail a piano piece-same frustration.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 01:56:33 AM »

Every game has its share of annoyingly frustrating parts. I'm playing through Halo 3 on heroic and on the mission The Ark there are quite a few moments where I wanted to throw the controller, mainly because of combat while driving the vehicles.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 02:07:39 AM »

i've been close to the flashpoint many times, but i haven't broken anything more than a ps2 controller.  what makes that worse is i can't even remember what game it is.  it's been a while since i got mad enough to take the game out.  last one to do that was the 360 silpheed game, and more so because it was my umpteenth attempt on the mission.

any game where the difficulty ramps up at the last fifth or so tend to piss me off.  cod 4 on veteran difficulty for instance.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 02:40:43 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on April 29, 2008, 12:22:40 AM

This is me too.  The Meat Circus level of Psychonauts was the last that had me cursing like this.  Zero Punctuation had it right when he mentioned how the difficulty went through the roof at the end.  I was so F'ing pissed off at the end levels of Psychonauts that it almost ruined the game for me.

everyone says this, &, yes, it was nasty, but my mediocre skills got me thru it after several tries - just confirms my belief that, if a game sucks me in enough, i will beat it no matter how difficult, while games that don't, but are equally difficult, become impossible to finish...

on topic: i get frustrated with games, but not pissed, & i think there's a difference - frustration has as much to do with 'why the fuck did they ruin this game by sticking this in?' as with my own limited skills, super mario galaxy being a good example: half annoyed that i have to do this, half annoyed that i'm having a helluva hard time doing this, & not sure exactly where one ends & the other begins. i save getting genuinely pissed off for more serious things smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 02:46:49 AM »

I'm one of the frustrated, but rarely pissed players. I certainly don't throw anything breakable... maybe slap the couch or throw a pillow. And that is not from people (MP), but from poor game designs that make me replay something too much. E.g. a couple of the off the wall jumps in Tomb Raider Anniversary took forever to get to work right. People quitting in halo 3 does get on my nerves though...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 02:57:18 AM »

I find that stopping playing when I feel the frustration coming on actually helps me get through the section.  I noticed this first with Mafia.  There were more than a few sections that I kept beating my head against over and over to the point of being very angry.  I would take a few hours or the night away from the game, and then get dragged back to it because of how good it was except for this stupid part.  I'd get through it on my very first time.  This happened repeatedly with different parts.

The Meat Circus level was definitely frustrating, but mostly in that it required the memorization of a pattern (if I remember right), and other than that, wasn't impossible.  The Hades level and finale of God of War were definitely in the "oh God, this just sucks" realm, but I muscled my way through anyway.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 03:05:59 AM »

This reminds me of a funny story. It's a classic example of game rage that I still recount to this day.

Kenny, a good friend of mine, was playing Panzer General back in the day. He always got deeply engrossed in war games, so I was watching him play and we were coming up with tactics and such.

He ends up stumbling across some bit of AI shenanigans that were a little cheaty. I can see his frustration slowly building.

He calmly says, "This is weird." Click. Another turn.

"This is weeeird......" Click. Another turn. The AI annihilates him.

"THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!"

To this day we use the phrase, "This is weird...this is weeeird....this is BULLSHIT!" to describe something we don't agree with.  icon_biggrin
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 03:19:36 AM »

Ive broken a few keyboards and CDs. Right now Madden 08 on PSP is pissing me off so much. Just last night I threw my PSP into my nice soft comforter but still I couldn't believe I did that.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
depward

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 03:54:09 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 29, 2008, 03:19:36 AM

Ive broken a few keyboards and CDs. Right now Madden 08 on PSP is pissing me off so much. Just last night I threw my PSP into my nice soft comforter but still I couldn't believe I did that.

You threw your PSP!?  DUDE!  Come on now!  Controllers are one thing... but your beautiful PSP?!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 04:33:30 AM »

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 05:06:35 AM »

Quote from: depward on April 29, 2008, 03:54:09 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on April 29, 2008, 03:19:36 AM

You threw your PSP!?  DUDE!  Come on now!  Controllers are one thing... but your beautiful PSP?!

Well tossed..and the comforter is very fluffy smile That game just pisses me off. No matter what team I pick i suck at it. May sell or trade it ...not sure. Going to give it more time. Its quiet a step up from my old LED Football II handheld from 1980 smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 06:57:49 AM »

I think I've broken one joypad. It was after spending 4-5hrs on the same goal in Tony Hawks Underground (for some reason I couldn't complete this one goal) and then I threw the controller across the room, off course it broke. I realised how stupid it was, and it was time to take a break....then I picked up my other controller and continued playing smile

But the only game other than that which have pissed me off so much is prolly GH3 anything about Easy. God I suck at it. I think I have to get rid of it before I throw that plastic guitar out the window and hurt someone smile
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 07:26:52 AM »

Yep, frequently. With as much cursing and profanity as I deem necessary. I stop myself from throwing items since I cracked a SNES controller long ago. A little squeezing periodically but that's about it. I figure that it's usually a good way to let off steam and aside from the strings of profanity that would make sailors cringe, I think I could be doing much worse things to relax/vent.

Funny enough, my bro (whom I am staying with temporarily) is two for two on breaking a controller on the God of War games. Broke his system original and bought a new one after I complained so much using the broken one (patched together with screws, super glue, and rubber bands). He had the replacement for 2 months before it met a early demise in GoW2 last week being completely shattered into non-fixable pieces. I don't think he's touched the newest replacement yet. Needless to say I don't put my equipment out in the living room often.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 09:08:46 AM »

i get very easily pissed off in games,GTA san andreas helicoptor training pretty much made me scream the neighbourhood down

COD4 when some bastard wont die after i have been shooting him for ages pretty much makes mne scream as well

but being on the internet using the PS3,makes them two feel like a holiday....if you have an option to use the browser on the ps3...run away

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 12:52:36 PM »

I rarely get pissed in multiplayer.  But there have been some controllers thrown during single player games.  Usually due to trying an action over and over and failing repeatedly.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 02:50:13 PM »

While I like the original video, this spoof just cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ktjiExyHXg&NR=1

It gets funnier with each watch.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 03:10:59 PM »

The Hades level of God of War will live in infamy for me as the worst and most frustrating thing I've ever played. This is coming from someone who beat Ninja Gaiden on the original NES so I know frustrating when I find it.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »

Sports games piss me off more than other types of games. I punched and messed up a coffee table a few years ago playing FIFA and I've hit my share of couches and pillows playing Virtua Tennis. Usually, the emotion is caused by stupid AI or stupid design. I also just hate to lose. But I never, ever get close to being that angry when playing sports in real life, I think because I'm not controlling myself with 4-8 buttons and a Dpad.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »

I thought that losing your temper at games was part of the whole videogame experience?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 29, 2008, 03:26:45 PM

I thought that losing your temper at games was part of the whole videogame experience?

It is.  smile

I lose my temper at bad design.  When the AI clearly has some cheating mechanism that pisses me off.  When I get my face blown off in multiplayer, that is just part of getting better.  Multi= no anger  EA Catchup in Racing = FURY!!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 04:55:51 PM »

Nowadays, I don't take any* form of video gaming seriously enough to get pissed off.  I tend to laugh instead of getting angry at the things described above.  For me, it's just another hobby that I enjoy that is just not that big a deal.  Multiplayer especially, I enjoy and laugh at myself frequently when I get completely schooled by others, which is quite often.  At the same time, when I actually do win, or excel at something gameplay wise, it has virtually no meaning to me.  "Oh, I won?  Huh, I wonder how that happened?" is pretty much my attitude. 

*Except for single-player sports games.  I seriously get into those, and get mad pretty easy.  Giving up a run in the bottom of the 9th with my closer that results in a loss?  Oh Lord, does that piss me off.  I think I'm being silly and stupid, and even though I know this, I still do it.  I have no rational explanation for it, other than the fact that I'm a moron.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on April 29, 2008, 04:55:51 PM

At the same time, when I actually do win, or excel at something gameplay wise, it has virtually no meaning to me.  "Oh, I won?  Huh, I wonder how that happened?" is pretty much my attitude.

really?  I get pretty euphoric when I beat a rather difficult game, especially when it's something such as General RAAM from Gears of War or Hades from God of War.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 05:09:49 PM »

I don't think I've ever been pissed off by a video game. 

It's not like anyone here has ever heard me put together an endless stream of profanities in a MP game or anything.   ninja

icon_wink

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 05:34:52 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 29, 2008, 05:09:49 PM

I don't think I've ever been pissed off by a video game. 

It's not like anyone here has ever heard me put together an endless stream of profanities in a MP game or anything.   ninja

icon_wink

I don't recall anything of the sort when I was whippin your ass at COD4 the other day.  Nope...not at all. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: