http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 09:27:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the 360 network adapters go bad?  (Read 1385 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »

Since last night, i can't connect to Live.   My ps3 and Wii are both fine, so i know it's not my connection.   So i test the connection with the 360 and it says the adapter isn't connected.   Sure enough i look and it's not working for some reason.  I disconnect and reconnect and still no go.

Do these things go bad?   I know it's electronic and anything can happen with them......but i didn't wanna buy another if it could be something else.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:06 PM »

Yes.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:57:37 AM »

Yeah I know a few folks that have had theirs go bad.  It even has it's own little RRoD (the LED on the back).

gellar
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 02:08:58 AM »

Mine has occasionally shown up as disconnected, but pulling out and reseating the USB cable fixed it.  Still, I'm not too impressed, as it's less than 2 months old.  Marketplace is also really slow, although I don't know if it's related.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 03:10:36 AM »

You know I have a D-link gaming adapter that was originally released for the first Xbox, it's worked like a champ for over a year. Oddly, I've never had good luck with any Microsoft made accessories.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 06:06:23 PM »

About every two months I have to unplug the USB cable on my adapter and then plug it back in.  It isn't coming lose, but sometimes the 360 just doesn't recognize it.  I've had other wonkiness with USB peripherals on PCs, I'm thinking just sometimes hardware isn't correctly detected on startup, easiest to unplug the device and have it redetected rather then restart the whole hardware.

16-bit and loving it!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 07:20:45 PM »

I've had occasional connectivity issues with the 360, but only rarely and not requiring reseating the adapter yet.

I'm more concerned about the looseness of the USB ports the controllers plug into. Those aren't fully holding the plugs in securely. I keep my 360 laying on the side (not in the vertical stand position) and the controller plugs hang slightly down rather than being securely seated in the ports. I'm wondering when they'll be loose enough that they simply won't stay in anymore. icon_frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:31:18 PM »

Mine was bad right out of the box once lol. AND I JUST TRADED ONE IN THAT HAD A BAD HD. HAHA

Thankfully my current 360 has been going strong for quite awhile!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 09:35:10 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on February 25, 2008, 07:31:18 PM

Thankfully my current 360 has been going strong for quite awhile!

You realize that you just cursed yourself, right?  eek

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 12:47:47 AM »

so i reconnect a few times and it seems as though it's the connection to my wireless router thats the issue.   again, everything is working flawlessly for my PS3 and Wii, but i can't get it to work for some reason on the 360.   haven't changed anything, but it won't work.

when i go into the network options, i see my router and it has a good strength.  however, it won't assign an IP for some reason.   anyone wanna guess what the issue may be?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 02:41:39 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 25, 2008, 01:57:37 AM

Yeah I know a few folks that have had theirs go bad.  It even has it's own little RRoD (the LED on the back).

gellar

LOL!! You can accuse Microsoft of many things but you can't say that they aren't forward thinking!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »

ok, still having connection issues i need assistance with.   as mentioned before, i have changed nothing, but i can't connect for whatever reason.   wireless adapter seems to be working now.....so the connection issue is arising from somewhere else.

when i go to the network settings and try it, it stops at recognizing the IP address......it can't find anything.  it says wireless adapter is connected and so is my wireless network.....won't get past IP address.

i can't remember how i did it before, but i do remember (if i'm correct) that i just connected the adapter and everything else connected automatically.   not sure why it's doing this now.   my PS3 and Wii still are connecting fine.   and like i said, i haven't touched a thing.

anyone got any ideas?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 03:13:24 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that you have it set for a manual IP.

Some possible hints on this page.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »

nope, have it set for automatic and still won't recognize an IP address.   pretty damn frustrated at this point.   i restored everything back to factory settings to see if that would work....but no dice. 

i don't play mp much, but i would like access to Live since i'm paying for it.

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 07:37:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the built-in network adapter in mine has gone bad.  Once in a blue moon it will actually connect to live and hold the connection for more than a minute.  It used to connect instantly and work flawlessly as long as the console was turned on. (I have not changed the network configuration...)  I tried removing the router, removing the security on the router, etc...  and it still is very flaky. 

xbox live: nude rick james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: