http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:07:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I want the 360 HD-DVD Add On?  (Read 2244 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2006, 06:31:41 PM »

So supposedly this is out on Nov 7, which also happens to be my birthday.  As I am out of ideas on what to ask for gifts, this is intriguing to me.

Do I want it?  Any reason I wouldn't?

gellar
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 06:39:27 PM »

I can't think of a good reason why not... as long as you actually WANT HD movies.  nod

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 06:40:29 PM »

I am getting it, but then I just sold my HD-DVD player to raise money for a new 360 and need to get the add on to play my movies.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:40:34 PM »

Because HD-DVD may not win? I don't know, personally, I am of the opinion people should wait on BOTH HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and thats the advice I give when people ask me about the two technologies. Both have pluses and minuses, but there is no way you would see my buying either for at least the next 12-18 months. If you have $200.00 of disposable income sitting around, then take a chance on it, but for the best performance you would want to have a dedicated player and not a console add on, but that just might be the anal home theather guy inside of me talking. It obviously would look good but that add on will not outperform the existing HD-DVD players out there and they don't cost THAT much more when you factor in performance and the expected price drop in 2007.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:42:50 PM »

I won't buy it just because I'm concerned about the wear and tear on my 360. We already know that the systems are not exactly masterpieces of design and manufacturing, so I'm concerned about using it for an extra 8-10 hours per week for movies. (This is assuming that, as I understand it, the 360 does most of the heavy lifting i.e. processing)

Having said that, the current crop of HD-DVD movies apparently look much better thab the Blu-Ray.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:44:34 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:18:46 PM »

thar ya go. 2 good reasons.

1) wear and tear on the 360 (I doubt it does much more than run 1 CPU though; that's what DVD use does)
2) HD-DVD vs. BluRay format wars.

Either wouldn't hold me back; the 200bux, however, does. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:25:29 PM »

I'm thinking long and hard about it.  I hate adding DVDs to my collection that may go the way of Betamax though.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 07:36:43 PM »

I can't imagine a reason to want it. Wait out the format war. Who wants a single disc player anyhow? I suppose it saves on inputs to the TV going through the xbox.

I can think of a lot of things that would be higher priority, but I am not you. slywink

Do you have a good programmable remote? There are always more games you can play. Some other cool techno-toy from thinkgeek.com? Something bolt-on performance item for the car? A day at the race track?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 08:43:19 PM »

So as far as the format wars... I don't really care.  I'll have one of each, so I'm not entirely concerned.

Wear and tear isn't something that bothers me that much either.  I tend to never have issues with hardware.

And I have just about every other toy imaginable so... on the birthday list this goes.

gellar
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 09:05:32 PM »

Who wants a single disc player anyhow?
I've never owned a multi-disc player in my life.  *shrug*  Different strokes I guess....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 09:32:26 PM »

I have also never owned a multidisc unit so that doesnt bother me. I have really enjoyed the HD-DVD movies I have so far and I am looking forward to getting batman begins, King Kong and V for Vendetta soon. I figure with this and the PS3 I can play either format even though I hope Blue-Ray dies. I will still be forced to buy some blu-ray movies if pixar releases anything or if there is a must have that is BD only. My launch PS3 will be put on Ebay but I plan on getting one maybe around march or whenever the second wave of games hits.

I dont really see why someone wouldnt buy this unless they didnt want to play HD-DVD's, but if you have a nice HD TV then you should check out HD-DVD
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 10:10:08 PM »

For me, no HDMI on the add-on means no sale.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 10:27:55 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 26, 2006, 10:10:08 PM

See... the lack of HDMI doesn't bother me in the least.  It just means that at some point in the future, if movie studios decide to turn on the HDCP flag on their new releases, I'll just stop buying new HD-DVD movies and stick to Blu-Ray on the PS3 or buy a new HD-DVD player.  Not really a major concern at all.

gellar
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 10:32:07 PM »

That's exactly the issue for me. It's buying a home electronics product with a built-in expiration date.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 11:15:01 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 26, 2006, 10:27:55 PM

See... the lack of HDMI doesn't bother me in the least.  It just means that at some point in the future, if movie studios decide to turn on the HDCP flag on their new releases, I'll just stop buying new HD-DVD movies and stick to Blu-Ray on the PS3 or buy a new HD-DVD player.  Not really a major concern at all.

gellar

Not trying to sway you in either direction, because it sounds like your mind might be made up, but what your describing there sounds like a pain the ass to me. Again, not trying to sway your decision, but maybe you should just go ahead and buy the HD-DVD player, and skip the add on.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 11:48:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 26, 2006, 11:15:01 PM

gellar

Not trying to sway you in either direction, because it sounds like your mind might be made up, but what your describing there sounds like a pain the ass to me. Again, not trying to sway your decision, but maybe you should just go ahead and buy the HD-DVD player, and skip the add on.

An interesting thought... but it's seriously not a big deal.  I'm not totally convinced that HDCP will really catch on anytime soon and I do tend to replace hardware every 2-3 years anyway.  When the technology improves and there is a clear winner in the format wars, I'll dump serious money into a serious player.

For now, this is a nice cheap entry alternative.

gellar
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 01:17:22 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 26, 2006, 11:48:35 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 26, 2006, 11:15:01 PM

gellar

An interesting thought... but it's seriously not a big deal.  I'm not totally convinced that HDCP will really catch on anytime soon and I do tend to replace hardware every 2-3 years anyway.  When the technology improves and there is a clear winner in the format wars, I'll dump serious money into a serious player.

For now, this is a nice cheap entry alternative.

gellar

Bingo.  I already pre-ordered mine.  I have a beautiful HD setup at home, but no HD player.  At $200, this is the cheapest way into the HD world, and the limited news offerings I've seen from people who've had the opportunity to see this thing in action, reports that it performs well.  The image constraint tag is several years away from being implemented, I suspect, and by that time, it should be relatively cheap to buy a new HD player.  I doubt I'm going to regret this purchase.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 01:22:54 AM »

I'm with Guido and Gellar -
For $200, it's the cheapest way to check it out. By the time everything has been sorted out between BR and HDDVD, you'll probably have gotten at least $200 worth of use out of it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 01:47:22 AM »

This is only going to be used for DVD videos and not games... correct?  If so, I have no need to pay any kind of money for this thing. 

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 01:57:15 AM »

Yeah it's for movies only. Only way they could have made it for games was if they included hd-dvd in every 360 in the first place.

Personally I'm waiting for the format war to come to an end before I invest any money in a next-gen DVD format simply because I'm a big dvd collector and share KD's feeling that they may end up becoming obsolete.
It's worth pointing out that unless HD-DVD becomes the clear winner, there's going to be a chunk of movies that will never be released on that format. (Ie, from Sony Pictures)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 02:26:02 AM »

If you really don't give a shit about spending $200 on something that may be nearly obsolete or not used in a couple years, why are you soliciting advice on whether to get it? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 02:33:12 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 27, 2006, 02:26:02 AM

If you really don't give a shit about spending $200 on something that may be nearly obsolete or not used in a couple years, why are you soliciting advice on whether to get it? 

To see if there was a major caveat that I was somehow missing, duh.

gellar
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 02:45:35 AM »

Do I want the 360 HD-DVD Add On?

No.  Save your money for a rainy day.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 05:26:22 AM »

I have been in two minds whether i want to get one

i know when it does go on sale,its bundled with a microsoft universal remote control and King Kong the movie on HD-DVD

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 07:39:19 AM »

well, I'm leaning Blu-Ray... but, really, the format wars shouldn't be as big a bother as they appear to be.  LG is starting, and I have a feeling many other companies will follow, in making a duel Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player.  Why choose when you can get both???

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 02:13:56 PM »

I am going to wait a bit, but for me it would make more sense to throw the $200 at the Sony PS3 as it will be built in and it seems like Blue-Ray has more momentum.
Anything could cause this to shift, but my trust in add-ons is low.

I remember buying the CD-ROM attachment for the Turbo Graphix 16, which at the time was $400.
I got to play Ys, but there were only like 6 other games that I remember for it.

Granted this plays movies, but the same fear is there. At least with the PS3 I would be getting another game system on top of it, but the PS3 worthiness remains to be seen.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 04:10:53 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc
I am going to wait a bit, but for me it would make more sense to throw the $200 at the Sony PS3 as it will be built in and it seems like Blue-Ray has more momentum.

I've been following the format war so far, and I would have said that HD-DVD has significantly more momentum at this point.  Consider:

1) The image quality of the average HD-DVD is still *significantly* better than available Blu-Ray movies.  In some cases the Blu-Ray version of movies isn't even as good as their regular DVD release -- U-571 is one specific example.  The problem stems from a continuing inability to mass produce dual-layer Blu-Ray media, forcing studios to heavily compress their "high-definition" movies and resulting in an image plagued by heavy artifacting.

2) HD-DVD media is less expensive to manufacture because manufacturing plants need to make far fewer changes than they would to begin creating Blu-Ray discs.  The movies themselves seem to be priced about the same, meaning that the studios currently supporting HD-DVD should be seeing better profit margins on their films.

3) Stand alone HD-DVD players are less expensive than stand alone Blu-Ray players.  A *very* cursory search I did just now suggests that Blu-Ray players seem to average around $1000, while HD-DVD players range between $500-$800.

4) There are more HD-DVD movie titles available on the market as there are Blu-Ray.  Another cursory search on Amazon shows 174 hits for HD-DVD movies, but only 140 hits for Blu-Ray.  This gap would be expected to shift in Blu-Ray's favor except that several companies who had originally pledged exclusive Blu-Ray support have now started making noises about shifting over to dual-support within the next year.

Videophiles who are the most likely to become early adopters of either format are also the ones most likely to be familiar with the image quality, cost, and availability issues between the two formats.  I have no dog in this race one way or another, but it seems to me that HD-DVD is currently in a pretty strong position.

-Autistic Angel
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 04:22:18 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 27, 2006, 04:10:53 PM

Quote from: DamageInc

I've been following the format war so far, and I would have said that HD-DVD has significantly more momentum at this point.  Consider:

1) The image quality of the average HD-DVD is still *significantly* better than available Blu-Ray movies.  In some cases the Blu-Ray version of movies isn't even as good as their regular DVD release -- U-571 is one specific example.  The problem stems from a continuing inability to mass produce dual-layer Blu-Ray media, forcing studios to heavily compress their "high-definition" movies and resulting in an image plagued by heavy artifacting.

-Autistic Angel

Thats not QUITE the case. The problem isn't the Blu-Ray is still using dual layer media, its that for some moronic reason, Sony insisted in the beginning that companies use MPEG-2 and uncompressed PCM audio, both of which eat up available space. If they would have used VC-1 as their codec, odds are this wouldn't even be an issue.

In the interest of fairness, it should be noted that when BR discs are encoded in VC-1, they look as good or better than HD-DVD, just like Corpse Bride does.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24158

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 04:45:09 PM »

I'm definitely interested in the add-on... it's cheap enough that if HD-DVD does bite it, it's not a big deal.

With the current stand-alone blu-ray player costs though... now that would hurt the wallet should it no longer be supported.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 05:30:17 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 27, 2006, 02:45:35 AM

Do I want the 360 HD-DVD Add On?

No.  Save your money for a rainy day.

That's crazytalk.

I have my nestegg already.  I don't touch that.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 08:24:26 PM »

Just by the damn thing gellar, and when I move out there invite me over to watch it.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 07:58:54 AM »

Quick question, will it output over component cables? I have an older HDTV that is missing HDMI imputs.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 08:46:50 AM »

Component is the only way the add-on can ouput HD. Well, that and VGA.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2006, 02:04:12 AM »

There are rumblings that HDMI will be available. (and have been for some time). It wouldn't surprise me either; their bulkhead connector is likely capable of recieving and transmitting digital information.

They just haven't done it thus far.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2006, 07:00:04 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 29, 2006, 02:04:12 AM

There are rumblings that HDMI will be available. (and have been for some time). It wouldn't surprise me either; their bulkhead connector is likely capable of recieving and transmitting digital information.

They just haven't done it thus far.

The current 360 is analog out only from the video card, I believe. They'd have to do a hardware revision to put an HDMI port on the box. Maybe when they switch to 65 nanometer they'll come out with a 360 Lite or something.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2006, 10:10:07 AM »

From the sad but true department.  When they do the revision I'm almost definitely going to be picking one up.  Figure I can sell/or give my old 360 to a friend as a late/early christmas present.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: