http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:31:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need to finish Halo before buying Halo 2?  (Read 1753 times)
lildrgn
Gaming Trend Senior Member

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2004, 05:42:45 PM »

I'm borrowing a friend's Halo and just got the warthog. I don't know if I have it in me to finish the game. Besides missing out on a fun time, do I need to finish it before getting H2? I have a few bux laying around and am thinking of getting a prepurchase on it.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 06:09:19 PM »

Yup, I would say so.  The storyline plays an important part of both games, so unless you want to just read Halo 1 spoilers you'd be best served by finishing the game.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 06:14:27 PM »

When you get to the end of Halo 1 there is a certificate you print out proving you've beaten the game.  You need to present this at the store before they will sell you a copy of Halo 2.  So, yes, you need to finish Halo 1.

Actually I'm full of it.  But it is a very fun game so go ahead and finish it already!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 06:14:35 PM »

Finish it up. You have maybe 10-15 hours more depending on your play speed, but trust me, it is definately worth it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 06:36:43 PM »

I'm curious why you'd be interested in Halo 2 if you are having a hard time continuing with Halo (especially when you are still fairly early in the game)?

Otherwise- Halo 2 seems a lot more story-centric than the first game so you would probably be well served by finding at least a summary of the events in the first game.  Or you could read the second Halo novel which recounts the story from the game- probably much quicker than completing the game.
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 06:46:57 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I'm curious why you'd be interested in Halo 2 if you are having a hard time continuing with Halo (especially when you are still fairly early in the game)?

Because I'm a sucker for the CG Forum Effect frown. My Xbox is only a few months old and I'm stocking up, I guess. Throw in a 10 week old, and a wife who's hooked on Tivo-ing ALL the Quantum Leaps it can manage, and I'm fairly limited in my time on the Xbox.

I want to be with my Xbox, but Real Life interferes a bit too much...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 06:56:56 PM »

If your Xbox is your only console then I would recommend just hanging in there with Halo 1 and getting to Halo 2 a few weeks late.  The only other major Xbox title for the season I can think of is KOTOR II which hits in December so there shouldn't be much pressure for other titles.  

I know where you coming from regarding the forum effect- Its fun to play a game when the hype is still hot and everyone is talking about it.  

In your case though if your time is really so limited you will soon be passed by others in the game and you probably will want to avoid participating in discussions for fear of spoilers so why drop Halo early as long as you enjoying it?

If you are interested in the Live portions of Halo 2 then all points are moot- you can jump right in without needing any backstory from the first game.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 03:38:48 PM »

I am replaying it on Legendary.  Sometimes, I want to throw my Xbox out the window.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 02:20:34 AM »

If you don't finish Halo before playing Halo 2 you'll feel guilty and dirty inside.

Do you want to feel guilty and dirty?  :wink:

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 03:20:08 AM »

First: What are you, daffy? Yes finish the first Halo before getting into the second one. What's the issue there? It's a great game. If you're having trouble getting into it for some reason, find someone to play it co-op with you. It adds something to the experience.

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
I am replaying it on Legendary.  Sometimes, I want to throw my Xbox out the window.

Good lord man.. Play legendary with a friend in co-op. I know of nobody that's beaten the game on legendary by themselves. I've tried, but always get raped by the flood in the library levels. On the other hand, my friend Matt and I beat the game on legendary in 3 days of just playing after we got off work at 4 till mildly late in the evening.

Don't get me wrong.. I know it's quite possible and people have done it. I also know that 90% of those people probably don't do anything but play games hours every day.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 05:55:24 AM »

I played for an hour last night and enjoyed myself. I'm at the 3rd big section at the beginning, the Truth and Reconciliation part. I'm slow (kids, man!), and enjoying myself.

I think I'll make my way through Halo, buy HL2, then pick up Halo2 down the road.

Video games rule!

dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 06:11:16 AM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"
I played for an hour last night and enjoyed myself. I'm at the 3rd big section at the beginning, the Truth and Reconciliation part. I'm slow (kids, man!), and enjoying myself.

I think I'll make my way through Halo, buy HL2, then pick up Halo2 down the road.

Video games rule!

If you want to grab the collector's edition, you'll need to buy it next week, because there's only going to be one shipment and most went to preorders.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 01:57:29 PM »

Finished Halo on Legendary

*pats self on back*
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 09:43:52 AM »

Congratulations! I have completed in once as well, and I only play cooperative on legendary... I think it really is the most fun way to play the game... I use the plasma pistol and regular pistol a lot, as well as running to elites and sticky-ing them! Or die trying...

I hope they make legendary a bit more difficult in Halo2, since I'm now very good at the single-player part of the game... I still want to die a lot on medium the first time I go through the game.

And I really hope they change the way Hunters attack. They're the easiest enemies on legendary frown
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 05:59:14 PM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"
I'm borrowing a friend's Halo and just got the warthog. I don't know if I have it in me to finish the game. Besides missing out on a fun time, do I need to finish it before getting H2? I have a few bux laying around and am thinking of getting a prepurchase on it.

no, just play a few levels and you'll practically play the whole game,  since most of the levels are made out of a cookie cutter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: