http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 03:02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DmC - Devil May Cry  (Read 2057 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »

Anyone playing this? I've only seen quick looks and it looks good.

Ninja Theory hasn't been good at making combat, but they're great at storytelling. It looks like they held pretty true to the DMC gameplay, whilst also seriously upping the until now pretty banal storyline. There's real acting, story and character development beyond basic tropes.

I've always like DmC, but after being burned on the second game, and after getting over the first, I just couldn't get into the third and fourth. Seeing this one makes me pick it up when it comes out on PC.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »

I still need to download the demo

I have only played and finished the first and fourth,i got kinda tired of it in the 4th one,but been meaning to get the HD Trilogy,and then get this

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »

I actually really love it.  People are turned off by the edgy style of the revamped Dante, but I actually enjoy it for what it is.  The game itself has been fun to play and they do these really cool effects with the graphics when you're in Limbo running around.  I had no interest in it until I had heard it was good and I am very glad I listened and bought it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »

Was just wondering about this after I saw The Grue was playing it. Just checked and it has a Metascore of 86, Giant Bomb gave it a 100 and yet you have user reviews that go all the way down to 0... but par for the course nowadays, I suppose. May just have to pick this one up. 

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »

I played the first two missions or so.  It's undeniably good.  It feels totally new and fresh, yet somehow still seems exactly like Devil May Cry.

That said, for some reason it hasn't clicked with me yet.  I think maybe I wasn't in the mood when I started it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 20, 2013, 03:40:27 PM

Was just wondering about this after I saw The Grue was playing it. Just checked and it has a Metascore of 86, Giant Bomb gave it a 100 and yet you have user reviews that go all the way down to 0... but par for the course nowadays, I suppose. May just have to pick this one up. 

Most of the really low user scores are from hardcore Dante fans who refuse to accept ANY changes to the way Devil May Cry looks or plays. Neogaf has a whole thread with people bashing the game, many of whom haven't even played the demo.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »

This game is really good. Can't understand why so many anti-fan boys hate so much on an undeniably good game.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »

This game is really good. Can't understand why so many anti-fan boys hate so much on an undeniably good game.

Semper Fidelis

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »

I pre-ordered the PC version which comes out on Tuesday.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »

I just finished it yesterday.  Easily my favorite DMC game.  The controls and combos felt really tight.  I really enjoyed the story , and didn't even mind the design changes they made to dante.  Thought it was a fantastic game.  Upping the difficulty and going back in for more , which I rarely do.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 11:22:21 PM »

I've only played the demo so far, and I have no idea how anyone could rate this game a 0.

Definitely some fanboyism gone awry.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »

This is one of the few games that I'd say to ignore "fan" response for. There's a vocal contingent that is just a bit too attached to the original, and can't see past that. This game definitely keeps true to its roots, while adding a good story and characters. Dante is now less of a generic Asian-style douchebag scoundrel type, and is developed into a bit of a character, even if he is a lot of what he was before.

Now, from the normal difficulty quick looks I saw, it seems that enemies definitely aren't as prone to random extra swings that attacks as in original DMC. Enemies tend to telegraph a lot more, and it's usually just 1 attack with no variation. Interesting design choice.

They also seem to track where the camera is pointed, and try to make sure enemies that are on screen are the only ones attacking, so you can see the wind up. Or they will try to get into view before attacking. It's done rather well and I really didn't notice it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:22:37 AM by Turtle » Logged
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 12:54:05 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 20, 2013, 06:25:49 PM

I believe this comes out on PC on Friday. 

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »

I must say that I  icon_lol when Dante answered the door to his trailer buck naked and then got dressed in slo-mo while it was being destroyed, complete with Austin Powers style strategically placed pieces of debris. Pizza codpiece FTW.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 07:35:38 AM »

Of the entire series, I've only played the original on PS2 which I beat and enjoyed. That said, I can't say I enjoyed the controls a lot and there were times when it almost reminded me of the earlier Resident Evils. From the previews I've seen of this newer game, they looked to have addressed all of the shortcomings with controls. Of course I haven't played DMC4 either, so for all I know the better controls may have started with that version.

Is this game a retelling of the original game's story, or a different story?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 20, 2013, 03:30:52 PM

I actually really love it.  People are turned off by the edgy style of the revamped Dante, but I actually enjoy it for what it is.

That would work for me. I'm guessing they realized the went too far in the other direction with their anime series. The Dante in that had almost no edge whatsoever and what little there was they ground off with a goofy/annoying kid that shacked up with him. If this has more of a noir vibe to his character I could see myself enjoying it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »

I imagine that it doesn't help matters, fanboy-wise, when a white wig blows onto Dante's head, and he catches a glimpse of himself in the mirror and says, "No fucking way" or some such.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »

It's been getting great reviews. 1up gave it an A. IGN also lauded it. I love the DmC series, but I'm short on cash. Will this one up as soon as it hits half price.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »

Quote from: shon on January 21, 2013, 12:54:05 AM

Quote from: Ridah on January 20, 2013, 06:25:49 PM

I believe this comes out on PC on Friday. 

You are right, which I discovered and last night after getting home from work excited to play  icon_frown

Sean Lama
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »

I've played about an hour of this last evening, and it is very, very good. I've never been able to get into the Devil May Cry series, so the fact that I'm enjoying this one means Ninja Theory, at least for me, succeeded in their hopes of refreshing the series. And after the first level, I would really like to see them create a full-fledged horror game.

Avoid the fanboy criticism on this one. The reviewers are right.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 26, 2013, 09:52:05 PM

I've played about an hour of this last evening, and it is very, very good. I've never been able to get into the Devil May Cry series, so the fact that I'm enjoying this one means Ninja Theory, at least for me, succeeded in their hopes of refreshing the series. And after the first level, I would really like to see them create a full-fledged horror game.

Avoid the fanboy criticism on this one. The reviewers are right.

There is irony found in your name. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 07:08:53 PM »

damn, was going to skip this.  now it's in the 'buy cheap' category.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »

Really enjoying the game except my thumbs are pretty tired.  There are a ton of weapons and moves in the game and unless you are watching a cut scene you are doing some crazy things with the controller.  I'm playing on the hard difficulty and it hasn't been too bad, I've died a couple of times but I'm getting some S and SS ranks pretty regularly. 
The graphics are really good and they have some terrific levels. 

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 01:35:03 AM »

Just finished the game and it was very good, not too many frustrating fights.  The environments were really good and I'll probably try it again on a different difficulty.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 01:51:50 AM »

Quote from: shon on January 28, 2013, 09:30:07 PM

Really enjoying the game except my thumbs are pretty tired.  There are a ton of weapons and moves in the game and unless you are watching a cut scene you are doing some crazy things with the controller.  I'm playing on the hard difficulty and it hasn't been too bad, I've died a couple of times but I'm getting some S and SS ranks pretty regularly. 
The graphics are really good and they have some terrific levels.

Everytime I start the game I have to spend a few minutes in the training room to warm up my hands. The combos you can do are seemingly endless

Semper Fidelis

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 11:58:45 PM »

The demo leaves a positive impression, but the default button layout seems like something you'd sneak into the options menu and do to prank your friend.  Y to attack, B for heavy attack, and X for ranged weapon is a clockwise rotation of every other action game I've played in the last ten years.  It's like a modern military FPS that inexplicably mapped the fire button to the left bumper.

Thank goodness they not only let you retool the controls to your heart's content, they even update the on-screen tutorials with the current settings.  Pretty nice, that.

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »

I finally put a few hours into the PC version tonight. I'm thoroughly  enjoying the game so far, my only concern is the sheer amount of weapons  and abilities that have opened up so early into the game. I've already  had a few "stutter" moments, where I froze up trying to remember what I  needed to press for the action I was trying to perform. There does seem to  be a limited number of moves for each weapon, though, so hopefully in a few more hours I'll have all the moves down. 

Production values are really  high; the voice acting and mannerisms for Dante are excellent, the  level design and art direction are awesome and provide fun levels with  plenty of sights to see as you barrel your way through. I'm also  impressed with the story - it's surprisingly coherent for this type of  game (as opposed to convoluted and crazy). The parallels of the game's  ethos with our own make it easy to relate to. The combat so far is much  like previous DMC games, perhaps more fluid.

Oh, and the game  runs phenomenally. I have all the settings maxed and I'm getting an  unwavering 60fps - my system is a AMD 3.4ghz quad with 6GB RAM and GTX  580.

So far so good! thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:17:09 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »

Wait until you see some of the later major boss stages. They're fun, and amazing looking experiences.

Hopefully this is a hit for Ninja Theory so that they can go on to do some more awesome stuff.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 05:04:21 AM »

It's surprising to me how limited the number of combos are for each weapon. And they are very similar between the different weapons. I keep getting new weapons, but new combos aren't opening up for the current ones.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »

I just finished the game on Demon Hunter difficulty, which I just realized might have been Easy mode (there is an even easier mode, Human) after reading the description of Nephilim difficulty.

What difficulty did you guys play on?

Sean Lama
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 11:50:13 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 03, 2013, 06:09:14 PM

I just finished the game on Demon Hunter difficulty, which I just realized might have been Easy mode (there is an even easier mode, Human) after reading the description of Nephilim difficulty.

What difficulty did you guys play on?

I re-started at Nephiliem (sp). Hardest difficulty on the first run through until you unlock more on completion.  I still had my God of War 3 chops so it was an easy transition.

Semper Fidelis

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 03:44:09 AM »

So for those others that have also finished the game:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Boss fights were totally awesome eh?  I mean, just so well syncronized with the music, and the level design looked amazing even.

I especially loved the News Reporter demon's level. The giant head boss fight had some of the best beats ever. Of course, none of the boss fights were particularly difficult, but that's actually kind of a good thing.

Makes you wonder where they'll head from here with the series, this game actually fits into the DMC canon pretty well, although they could just reboot it from this point if necessary.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 06:55:47 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 05, 2013, 03:44:09 AM

So for those others that have also finished the game:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Boss fights were totally awesome eh?  I mean, just so well syncronized with the music, and the level design looked amazing even.

I especially loved the News Reporter demon's level. The giant head boss fight had some of the best beats ever. Of course, none of the boss fights were particularly difficult, but that's actually kind of a good thing.

Makes you wonder where they'll head from here with the series, this game actually fits into the DMC canon pretty well, although they could just reboot it from this point if necessary.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I liked the intensity of the visuals during boss fights and you're right, the music was great (I heard some dubstep!). But I didn't care much for the actual fighting, in most cases each boss required a very similar strategy with hardly any variance. I did like the news reporter and the final boss fight a lot, though.

Since Dante allowed Virgil to live, I'm sure the next game will have Virgil returning to try and rule the planet again. That would be my guess.

Sean Lama
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 05, 2013, 06:55:47 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I liked the intensity of the visuals during boss fights and you're right, the music was great (I heard some dubstep!). But I didn't care much for the actual fighting, in most cases each boss required a very similar strategy with hardly any variance. I did like the news reporter and the final boss fight a lot, though.

Since Dante allowed Virgil to live, I'm sure the next game will have Virgil returning to try and rule the planet again. That would be my guess.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Actually, I think they already covered that in one of the other DMC games. I think it was 3, which was a prequel to DMC 1. Vergil was the main villain. Although they can just add on more fights between DMC 2012 and DMC 3.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »

I'm having a blast with this game.  I think I'm on mission 17 now and loving every second.

That said, this game is a big reason why the user scores on Metacritic are a disaster.  This game rates a 4.4 on Metracritic for user score.  Aliens: Colonial Marines is a 4.1.  Seriously?  So annoying.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 01:48:25 AM »

I just finished DmC tonight after spending about 12 hours on my first run through the game on 'Demon Hunter' difficulty and loved it from start to finish. They've created a very complex and challenging fighting game, but at the same time kept it very accessible and fun for those who aren't completely dedicated to the series. Mix that gameplay with some of the most creative and dynamic level design that I've seen in a long time, and it made for an incredibly fun experience. The art design was always interesting on its own, but the way the environments were constantly morphing and rearranging themselves around Dante was really what stood out to me...very imaginative level design that was always surprising with something new. I think the 'dance club' level was one of the most creative and trippy things I've seen in a game in quite a while. Mix all that in with an a story that does a great job of reinventing a well-known character, and I have to say that Ninja Theory's take on DMC is a great success  icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 02:32:52 AM »

Blame metacritic on stupid idiots that get obsessed over things like Dante's hair color.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 18, 2013, 05:19:19 PM

I'm having a blast with this game.  I think I'm on mission 17 now and loving every second.

That said, this game is a big reason why the user scores on Metacritic are a disaster.  This game rates a 4.4 on Metracritic for user score.  Aliens: Colonial Marines is a 4.1.  Seriously?  So annoying.

You pay attention to user scores?

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 05:15:26 PM »

Quote from: disarm on March 20, 2013, 01:48:25 AM

I just finished DmC tonight after spending about 12 hours on my first run through the game on 'Demon Hunter' difficulty and loved it from start to finish. They've created a very complex and challenging fighting game, but at the same time kept it very accessible and fun for those who aren't completely dedicated to the series. Mix that gameplay with some of the most creative and dynamic level design that I've seen in a long time, and it made for an incredibly fun experience. The art design was always interesting on its own, but the way the environments were constantly morphing and rearranging themselves around Dante was really what stood out to me...very imaginative level design that was always surprising with something new. I think the 'dance club' level was one of the most creative and trippy things I've seen in a game in quite a while. Mix all that in with an a story that does a great job of reinventing a well-known character, and I have to say that Ninja Theory's take on DMC is a great success  icon_cool

I share your sentiments entirely... I really need to do a second play-through.

Sean Lama
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 03:25:07 AM »

I just started DMC tonight on PC.  Coming in completely fresh to the DMC games (my entire exposure to the series was about 20 minutes of one of the previous games), and I'm really quite impressed so far.   Combat reminds me a lot of Bayonetta (in all the good ways), the levels seem pretty unique, it looks and animates great, music is solid, and it has a decent sense of humor.

Can't wait to dig into it more this week...hoping I can finish up one more game before the twins get here.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: