http://gamingtrend.com
September 26, 2016, 02:05:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to play a hack-n-slash. Help me decide which one.  (Read 989 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »

Been hankering for some hack-n-slash action lately, but can't decide on which one to go with.  Turning to the hive mind for input...here's the ones I'm looking at.

-  Torchlight:  Played through it before and wasn't crazy about it, but I think that may have been due to inflated expectations on my part (i.e. was expecting the next Diablo II). 
-  Titan Quest:  Again, one I've already beaten, but never played it with the expansion installed.  Worth another look?
-  Beyond Divinity:  Got this as a freebie from GOG.  Reviews were so-so, and I'm afraid the graphics whore in me would get turned off by it.  Still, might be worth a look. 
-  Sacred 2:  Played a little bit of this when it first came out, but it ran like crap on my system, so I shelved it.
-  (hold off for) Dungeon Siege III:  Didn't really like the first two at all, and the mediocre initial feedback is certainly not encouraging.  Still, it sure does look purty...
-  Or I could just fire up D2 for the umpteenth time.  smile

Thoughts?  Are there any big ones that I missed?  TIA

Remover of Inconvenient Obstacles
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:44:30 PM »

Dungeon Siege III has a demo you could try, personally I wasn't impressed by it.  I'd say give Sacred 2 a shot if you have a new system.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »

another +1 for sacred 2.  huge game with a lot to explore and the most quests of any of those games.  plus you can always seek out the expansion and try out a few characters you don't usually get in n rpg

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »

Of course you guys would recommend the one out of the bunch I don't already own.  ;l)

Quote from: Caine on June 12, 2011, 04:50:11 PM

plus you can always seek out the expansion and try out a few characters you don't usually get in n rpg

Are there any digitally distributed versions that include that expansion?  Steam, Impulse, and D2D all just look like they offer the base, vanilla game.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »

Din's curse satisfies me while i wait for new
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »

Have you played Beyond Divinity 2......it was pretty good.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:18:46 PM »

I'll vote for Sacred 2. If you want a next diablo 2, torchlight 2 comes out next month(maybe?). Buzz at E3 was pretty good.

Anyways, sacred 2 is great. I'll recommend you skip most of the side quests unless you're ready for an 80 hour+ game. I'm not even kidding. My steam played time is 74 hours and I haven't even beat it yet. Most of the side quests are auto generated anyways and always amount to just killing someone. But do the one that leads you to the band. The main game is pretty beefy itself and you will get more loot than you know what to do with! Just world is huuuuuuuge too. Just exploring will eat up entire play times and often then not you'll come across something to make it worth your while. Not to mention you can fight on your mount.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 12, 2011, 04:36:04 PM

Titan Quest:  Again, one I've already beaten, but never played it with the expansion installed.  Worth another look?

It's definitely worth playing through again with the expansion.  Not only does it add a fun new class type, but the expansion campaign is lengthy and even more fun than the original.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 12, 2011, 07:18:46 PM

I'll recommend you skip most of the side quests unless you're ready for an 80 hour+ game. I'm not even kidding. My steam played time is 74 hours and I haven't even beat it yet. Most of the side quests are auto generated anyways and always amount to just killing someone. But do the one that leads you to the band.

That was my other main gripe when I tried Sacred 2 the first time.  Seemed like you couldn't go 3 steps without someone else giving you another quest, which kind of got on my nerves.  I'd like to give it another try, but am going to wait and see if it shows up cheap on the Steam Summer Sale (or somewhere else).  Not sure I want to drop $20 on it right now.

Started dinking around with Torchlight again, and remembered why I wasn't crazy about it to begin with.  It's simply so generic and soulless.  Installing the TQ expansion now, will give it another shot.  TQ was fun enough for me to play all the way through, even if it started to feel very same-y towards the end.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:57 PM »

I would get some mods for TL. Ones that make mobs harder and introduce more. Also you can get new classes that are a lot funner to play than the standard included ones. vanilla TL is kinda meh, but a few mods to fix problems make it much funner. Game was crazy easy even on the hardest level :|

TL2 will have multiple zones/towns and what not. It's pretty much diablo->diablo 2.

I could never get into TQ, just something about it never grabbed me.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

Currently playing Sacred 2 myself as well, have it both on Xbox and PC, both versions are great.

I'd love to get the expansion actually, but Steam doesn't even carry the game for me anymore, even though I bought it there originally. Store page is simply gone

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 10:58:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 12, 2011, 06:29:03 PM

Of course you guys would recommend the one out of the bunch I don't already own.  ;l)

Quote from: Caine on June 12, 2011, 04:50:11 PM

plus you can always seek out the expansion and try out a few characters you don't usually get in n rpg

Are there any digitally distributed versions that include that expansion?  Steam, Impulse, and D2D all just look like they offer the base, vanilla game.

sadly, it looks like the expansion was uk version specific (although i would hazard a guess that this has been hacked to work somwhere) and the gold edition with both versions is no longer available on amazon.  i do think gogamer had it before though.

gogamer is offline at the moment with a redesign but it had the expansion in stock as recently as the cached page, March 2011. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 11:05:15 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 12, 2011, 10:58:25 PM

gogamer is offline at the moment with a redesign but it had the expansion in stock as recently as the cached page, March 2011. 

they've been offline for a couple of months now, I'm not holding my breath at them coming back.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 12:13:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2011, 11:05:15 PM

Quote from: Caine on June 12, 2011, 10:58:25 PM

they've been offline for a couple of months now, I'm not holding my breath at them coming back.

oh wow, i never even noticed i stopped getting emails from them too. HA
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 12:48:32 AM »

I reinstalled Titans Quest: Immortal Throne this weekend on a whim. For a game that released 5 years ago the graphics hold up extremely well and with the community patch 1.17 the game is still a great RPG hack-n-slash. The extensive skill trees and dual-class system gives lots of character build combinations to play around with and the mechanics are great for playing in short bursts if necessary. One of the main issues I had with Sacred 2 was the constant "step-->fight-->step-->fight", just way to many trash mobs. I know an open world is also a plus for most folks but Sacred 2 was just too expansive for me. I would log in and within a few minutes feel overwhelmed on what to do next. Titans Quest is absolutely on rails but for me thats part of action RPG's. Instant teleport back and forth to town, expansive bag space, a shareable bank and a great loot system and I am finding TQ is filling my itch pretty well at the moment. As an alternate option I was also looking in a game called Silverfall. It is another action RPG with a few interesting twists. Looks like it can be had for 10 bucks on Steam and you can get the game and the expansion for $15. Planning to read a few more reviews first but for 15 bucks this may be worth a look as well.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 03:43:00 AM »

I give another thumbs up for Titan Quest w/Immortal Thrones. I'm also wondering why you don't have Divinity II The Dragon Knight Saga on your list. I've only played with the 360 version which I thought was decent, but the PC version is supposed to be far better. Its also supposed to run fine on low-mid spec'd PC's.

Here's the specs as listed on Steam:

Processor: Intel Dual Core - 1,8 GHz (XP/Vista/7)
Memory: 1GB (XP) / 2GB (Vista/7)
Graphics: 256 MB compatible DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0 (ex.: Nvidia GeForce 7600, ATI Radeon 1600 or higher)
DirectX®: .0c (Windows XP) / Direct X10 (Vista/7)
Hard Drive: 13GB
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 13, 2011, 03:43:00 AM

I give another thumbs up for Titan Quest w/Immortal Thrones. I'm also wondering why you don't have Divinity II The Dragon Knight Saga on your list. I've only played with the 360 version which I thought was decent, but the PC version is supposed to be far better. Its also supposed to run fine on low-mid spec'd PC's.

Mainly because I beat it earlier this year.  smile  Very fun game. 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »

If you want to go back to TQ and want something different in terms of challenge, I'd recommend this mod:

(this info was from last year, it might be easier now)

The Paths mod completely reworks the masteries into 9 new ones, and all sorts of gameplay adjustments and balance improvements. The Lilith mod is a complete map overhaul with different quests and a whole different storyline, and music ripped straight from Diablo. You can (and may already have) played both of these mods separately, but together they pretty much make TQ a completely different game.

Info on Paths mod: http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/threads/32395-Information

Info on Lilith mod: http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/threads/11603-Lilith-The-Will-of-Demon-Battles-of-Jalavia

Here's the steps in case you are a novice like I am:

1 - Install TQ
2 - Install TQ - IT
3 - Patch up to 1.17 (not sure if this is necessary)
4 - Run the game, it should patch some more files for you and set up the directories
5 - Download Classic Lilith 1.1 and install

6 - Install extras

http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/threads/34261-New-Lillith-Download-Location

6 - Download LilithPaths1.4 and extras

http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/threads/32397-News-amp-Downloads

Follow all instructions carefully, most of the files will get placed in your My Games folder, while some others need to go to the main install directories.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:52:57 PM by rittchard » Logged
Arclight

Just sayin? You're Just sayin?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »

Never played Sacred. I want to play the latest Sacred out, which is 2 right?
What all do I need?
Do I need any previous Sacred releases?

What's the name of the latest Sacred. Finding the info on it a little confusing.
This would be for the PC.

It's in us to...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »

The base game should be ok.  There was a collectors edition on launch with some high end graphics pack, the expansion which never got a US release and the gold edition, also in the UK.  It seems it's gotten harder to find the import gold edition though.the base game is definitely not lacking in content though, so you aren't missing that much. 

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 11:50:49 PM »

Dragon Age 1 maybe?

Daggerdale on the 360?  Looks like it has been released for PC for $15.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:52:44 PM by Pyperkub » Logged

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:16 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 15, 2011, 11:50:49 PM

Daggerdale on the 360?  Looks like it has been released for PC for $15.

The feedback from the 360 version was so bad (48 on metacritic), there's no way I'd pay more than a fiver for it

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: