http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 09:49:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divinity 2  (Read 2859 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 17, 2010, 11:54:36 AM

They publisher has reduced the price to $40, and Best Buy is putting it on sale starting 2/21 for $30.

crap, picked this up yesterday at GS for 39.99.  should have read this first and waited a few days.  ah well, hindsight is always 20/20.

enjoying the game so far.  although whenever a character can perform a standing leap over his own head, it loses a bit of it's serious side, in my opinion.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 03:47:26 AM »

So, is the consensus on this one that it's a good game with a few warts, but still worth the effort?  I'm considering it due to the sale.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »

I would concur. From what I've heard, the ending is less than stellar but from what I've played so far it's a good game that's "worth the effort". If you can, I'd suggest getting the PC over the XBox version however.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »

I'm enjoying the 360 version, to be honest.  I've heard that the game requires quite a bit of overhead on the PC and I'm not ready to upgrade my computer just yet.  There's some frame issues in combat and large crowds, but it's pretty smooth so far.

I'm really diggin' it.  It's got a nice blend of RPG customization and action game fighting.  The voice acting isn't anything to write home about, but it's adequate.  For 29.99 at best buy this week, i say it's a steal.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »

I spent a solid week with this game, and loved it. The frame rate kinda stinks and the engine can't handle the visuals 100%, but the story is solid, the game-play expansive, the dragon morphing is sweet, the side quests are fully fleshed out, skills trees make sense, and overall, just a damn good time.

I'd buy Divinity 3 in a heartbeat...the guys can make a game, they just need programmers and engineers who can make an engine.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 01:20:01 AM »

cool, thanks for the follow-up.  i just finished up ME2 and i'd like a little something different from dragon age before i give that another shot. 

KC

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 01:47:29 AM »

Quote from: Caine on February 24, 2010, 01:20:01 AM

cool, thanks for the follow-up.  i just finished up ME2 and i'd like a little something different from dragon age before i give that another shot. 

Is the Best Buy $30 price a sale or is it a price drop?  I have some Gamestop credit and an Edge card and would rather get is used so that I can have the 7 day return option.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 03:53:01 AM »

Afaik it's a price drop to 40 with a sale to 30.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 06:35:27 AM »

Quote from: KC on February 24, 2010, 01:47:29 AM

Quote from: Caine on February 24, 2010, 01:20:01 AM

Is the Best Buy $30 price a sale or is it a price drop?  I have some Gamestop credit and an Edge card and would rather get is used so that I can have the 7 day return option.

It's a universal price drop to $40, so Gamestop has it for $40 new / $35 used, which would be about $32 with the Edge discount.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 23, 2010, 03:00:35 PM

I would concur. From what I've heard, the ending is less than stellar but from what I've played so far it's a good game that's "worth the effort". If you can, I'd suggest getting the PC over the XBox version however.

Hmmm... realized I was thinking about the 'Risen' 360 port when I wrote this. So please disregard that last sentence, for this game anyway.  icon_wink

-craig

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2010, 07:37:25 PM »

I am enjoying it so far, after about 6 levels in. The mix of abilities you get is nice and it feels like a game where you can play it the way you want wthout being tied to one character type.  It does reward specialization though, as I don't see a way to respec.

The technical jiggles are noticeable though and the game seems to hiccup fairly regularly; not game-breaking but annoying that it happens so often.

Played up through the first big event and the dragon seems interesting but not as smooth as other games where you controlled a dragon.

Glad I picked it up on sale.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »

I just hit level 10 last night and I'm surprised at how much I'm lovin' this game.  It's not an easy time, that's for sure.  But there's a real sense of accomplishment when you defeat a group of higher level mobs.  Plus, you can always head to easier areas and level up before tackling bigger bad guys.

I really hope the game keeps the same pace and difficulty for the rest of the ride. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2010, 06:02:06 PM »

i am currently wandering around the southern part of the broken valley and am now strong enough to take on mobs that once saw me run for the hills.  what a difference a couple of levels make.  i was ok with any of the undead mobs, but the black seers/rangers/sergeants would just kick my butt.  i was only able to get into the little cul-de-sac nw of the tower by kiting them and then picking them off at range. 

the bow is a very effective way to survive early on.  i got some cheap kills by plinking them, jumping back and repeating and also by jumping on top of rocks to take out fighters.  it doesn't last though as even the fighters start to have some form of ranged attack eventually and of course, you start to face more mages and rangers who would absolutely destroy you should you perch on a rock.

i am unsure if i want to go 2h or dw.  i've found some awesome weapons which make either option doable.  i also rescued someone from a pit and after the fight, he gave me his bow.  nothing any of the merchants sells even comes close.  i really love the things you can discover off the beaten path.   this game rewards you for exploring. 

here's a few tips i'd like to pass along. 

you definitely want to check out the baker's house in the first village.  he's got an interesting tenant, if you will. 

you can safely pick up just about everything you see as it doesn't appear people care if you take their stuff;  very helpful for the food items as you don't start out with healing potions. 

if you haven't found out what to do with the body parts you find, check the area around the burnt chapel.  it makes it easier to handle large groups. 

you can use the quest items for some of the bounty contracts, but you lose them when you turn it in.  the rewards haven't matched the item you lose. 

i found a great merchant out in the wild who sells very rare items.  nothing i can use just yet though. 

once you have what you need for the bandit camp, make sure you call in the cavalry; it makes the camp sequence far more manageable.  not sure if you can deal with them another way though.  it's doable at level 10, and you get a number of great weapons too.  the second sequence is much more difficult though, and rife with traps.  there's a trick to making it through the area though, and if you look hard enough, a path will become visible.  spoilers in sequence of how much detail is given away regarding this portion.
Spoiler for Hiden:
seems there's a lot of bodies around, aren't there?
Spoiler for Hiden:
notice how some of them bled?
Spoiler for Hiden:
if you follow the blood, you won't get poisoned

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 01, 2010, 06:02:06 PM

if you haven't found out what to do with the body parts you find, check the area around the burnt chapel.  it makes it easier to handle large groups. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm confused by this one.  I found the necromancer who offers to make me creatures, but he wants me to find out where the previous creations have run off to.  He gives me access to the creature creator, but tells me that will keep them for safety's sake for the time being.   icon_confused

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2010, 12:39:21 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'll have to look it up for you as I don't remember where I found the item he's looking for. I stumbled on it before I visited him him.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 07:19:59 PM »

I figured it out (after referring to gamefaq  icon_frown).  Let's just say that many of the quests ARE NOT resolved in your immediate (or even intermediate) vicinity.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »

A little late, I know, but I borrowed a 360 copy from a friend over the weekend and was suprised at how gimped the character inventory management was on the 360. We go from full 3D 'paper doll' inventory where anything new is automagically compared to what you have equipped and the ability to have 3 weapon loadouts hot-keyed - to a text system with no way to swap in other sets that I could find. Almost everything accessable from the pause menu seemed... worse / more clumsy to me. Most things outside of that are identical but this alone would be a good reason (in my mind at least) to stick with the PC version if you have a system that can run it.

-craig

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 12:32:12 AM »

regarding that great merchant in the wilds..... 
Spoiler for Hiden:
buyer beware.... mind read him and youll find his stuff is junk except for the earings. You can buy it but youre basically throwing your cash away.  Im assuming this is the merchant near the bandit camp.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: