http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 12:54:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disney Infinity  (Read 3557 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »

I kinda wish they would have gone with the multiplayer style of skylanders for the playsets.    That is to say:  NOT split screen.   My wife hates split screen (and so do I).   My daughter seems not to like split screen either -- though my son seems unbothered by it.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »

Well if they did nothing else right, they nailed the toy box.   My kids have been creating and playing in that thing since lunch.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:53 AM »

Quote from: faide on August 18, 2013, 08:48:45 PM

My kids are loving it as well.  Our only complaint so far is that 2 player requires 2 characters from the same world. So for instance the monsters Inc world only lets you play with monsters inc characters.  Luckily we bought some extra incredibles figures so they could at least play 2 player there.  Wish you could mix aand match characters across the worlds though.

Quote from: msduncan on August 18, 2013, 08:52:02 PM

I kinda wish they would have gone with the multiplayer style of skylanders for the playsets.    That is to say:  NOT split screen.   My wife hates split screen (and so do I).   My daughter seems not to like split screen either -- though my son seems unbothered by it.

They said they were originally going to have it the same as Skylanders, but then they did focus testing with Disney fans and they hated it. They felt the characters needed to stay in their own universe. So, they changed it so they can only all be in the Toy Box mode and the playsets would be for exclusively the characters that are in that Disney universe.

As for the Split Screen...yeah I can go either way with it. I don't mind it....but my wife hates it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:16:45 AM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:51 AM »

Ps3 version has major issues. Tons of people having issues with it hard locking abd corrupting the saves. I can vouch that I have this problem right now. Sure it will get fixed fast but it's annoying. That being said when it's working I f'n love it. My daughter and I were having a blast running around the Lone Ranger set. FYI Tonto rules. He tosses axes and it is awesome. Can't wait to see what people create to play.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2013, 03:44:43 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on August 19, 2013, 12:14:53 AM

Quote from: faide on August 18, 2013, 08:48:45 PM

My kids are loving it as well.  Our only complaint so far is that 2 player requires 2 characters from the same world. So for instance the monsters Inc world only lets you play with monsters inc characters.  Luckily we bought some extra incredibles figures so they could at least play 2 player there.  Wish you could mix aand match characters across the worlds though.

Quote from: msduncan on August 18, 2013, 08:52:02 PM

I kinda wish they would have gone with the multiplayer style of skylanders for the playsets.    That is to say:  NOT split screen.   My wife hates split screen (and so do I).   My daughter seems not to like split screen either -- though my son seems unbothered by it.

They said they were originally going to have it the same as Skylanders, but then they did focus testing with Disney fans and they hated it. They felt the characters needed to stay in their own universe. So, they changed it so they can only all be in the Toy Box mode and the playsets would be for exclusively the characters that are in that Disney universe.

I imagine to some extent it is also so that they can set up obstacles in each story that can only be passed by the characters in that world.  I don't know exactly what powers or controls each character has, but I'm not sure it would make sense for Lightning McQueen  to try and pass an obstacle that requires an Incredible.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2013, 03:47:05 AM »

Ron and I recorded some video of our play session today. He punched a horse.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamingtrend/c/2775679

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2013, 04:56:43 AM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on August 19, 2013, 12:57:51 AM

Ps3 version has major issues. Tons of people having issues with it hard locking abd corrupting the saves. I can vouch that I have this problem right now. Sure it will get fixed fast but it's annoying.

here is what they're suggesting for a short term fix.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Baroquen131
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »

I definitely have the PS3 issues too. Was glad to hear it wasn't my old, somewhat-flaky console. Disappointed that the save file corrupted. Not as disappointed as the kids that they couldn't keep playing.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »

Wow, not a very good launch overall methinks:

"It's been a bit of a bumpy launch for Disney Infinity so far. Along with the PS3 issues, Wii U players are upset over lack of support for the Classic Controller and Pro Controller the box says both should work while original Wii owners have been disappointed to discover that their version of the game is the only one that does not support local cooperative play in adventure mode."

Also, what's up with the massive discounting (50%) of all the toys and accessories and such on launch day? That's gotta eat into your profits like crazy.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 19, 2013, 02:34:26 PM

Wow, not a very good launch overall methinks:

"It's been a bit of a bumpy launch for Disney Infinity so far. Along with the PS3 issues, Wii U players are upset over lack of support for the Classic Controller and Pro Controller the box says both should work while original Wii owners have been disappointed to discover that their version of the game is the only one that does not support local cooperative play in adventure mode."

Also, what's up with the massive discounting (50%) of all the toys and accessories and such on launch day? That's gotta eat into your profits like crazy.

The discounting doesn't cut into Disney Interactive's profits at all.  They get their wholesale price up front.  Retailers make those discounts to get even more sales and to lure people into their stores instead of another chain.  No one's losing money on that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »

The drug dealers are giving you a discount so that you will frequent them. It worked as I think I'll go to the ToysRUS from now on. They stocked it better than anyone esle and gave no problems price matching the other stores. Target only had four copies of the Lone Ranger so they vanished quickly. The other place had like 20 plus of them. I price matched the deal at Walmart for the one item and matched the Target deal for the other. Thumbs up. smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »

Yeah, I visited 3 Targets yesterday (all within a 10 mile radius of my place) and even though they said they were out of stock on the Cars and Lone Ranger playsets I got the feeling that they were told to only put out one box of them and keep the rest in back.  I asked for rain checks at all of them and the people were kind of cagey and "oh, I don't know..." until they looked at the ad and it didn't say anything about no rain checks.  Then when they did print one out it showed that every Target that I had visited and more had them all in stock. 

I was able to convince the last guy to bring out a box of Lone Ranger sets, "Oh, yeah, I think we may have some after all" but nobody would bring out the Cars ones.

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »

Thats better than the Walmart near me. At ten am they still hadn't even unboxed stuff and told me tough luck. I just shruged and said I would just buy it somewhere else.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 19, 2013, 03:57:19 PM

Yeah, I visited 3 Targets yesterday (all within a 10 mile radius of my place) and even though they said they were out of stock on the Cars and Lone Ranger playsets I got the feeling that they were told to only put out one box of them and keep the rest in back.  I asked for rain checks at all of them and the people were kind of cagey and "oh, I don't know..." until they looked at the ad and it didn't say anything about no rain checks.  Then when they did print one out it showed that every Target that I had visited and more had them all in stock. 

I was able to convince the last guy to bring out a box of Lone Ranger sets, "Oh, yeah, I think we may have some after all" but nobody would bring out the Cars ones.

I went to Walmart next to the gamestop near me first thing Sunday morning.    They were putting out their stuff, but had not put out the Cars playsets or the Villain 3 packs.    The lady there scanned the tag and it showed that no Cars sets had shown up, but that 15 villain 3 packs had.    She went into the back and looked but couldn't find said 3 pack.

I then traveled a bit farther to my nearest target.   They had the villain 3 pack out, which I had them price match to Walmart.    No cars playsets (plenty of Lone Ranger).   I went next door to Best Buy -- CARS!   I managed to get them to price match Target.

Successful missions, but a bit of an ordeal.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »

I just ended up ordering from Target online, which I probably should have done from the start.  smile  I got free shipping anyway, so the cost turned out the same and they'll get here before I have time to play.

I didn't want to try price matching as I've had trouble in the past where Best Buy calls the store you're trying to price match to see that they have the product in stock.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »

I played today for a bit.  Farted around the castle getting glowies, did a master build level and the first bit of the Incredibles level.  So far, I'm underwhelmed.  I think the characters look kind of crappy, the narrator is annoying, the voices are constantly repeating themselves with things that don't match the situation, the controls are mildly sloppy and the collection aspect is all over the place.  Generally, Skylanders did this way better.

It's not terrible, at least.  It seems like most Disney Interactive titles.  They put in just enough effort to make it work but nothing extra.  Which is the exact opposite of the Disney mantra, in my mind.

There certainly is a lot to do, so I will try to get back to it at some point.

I have a question about the figures, since they're on sale places.  In Skylanders, you kind of needed one of each type of character.  I know you need at least one from a playset to play in it, and that you need two if you want to play with someone else.  Are there any other reasons to catch 'em all?
Also, the little disc-things are generally pointless fluff, right?

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »

The only reason to get all the characters is that they have certain things you can't unlock without them. Unless you are an insane completionist thwn you don't need them all.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2013, 11:18:56 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on August 19, 2013, 10:10:39 PM

The only reason to get all the characters is that they have certain things you can't unlock without them. Unless you are an insane completionist thwn you don't need them all.

I definitely have insane completionist tendencies, but I'm better than I used to be.

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »

Kind of annoyed that they haven't posted anything further on the ps3. I get that they can't rush a fix out but a status update would be nice.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2013, 02:26:38 AM »

Yeah, I saw something that showed there are at least chests/crates in the game that can only be accessed by certain characters.  They also allow you to unlock certain types of powers or items for everyone, I think.  The example I saw was the green stretchy/sticky hand was unlocked from Elasti-girl/Mrs Incredible. 

vrinnc
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2013, 02:51:05 AM »

I would only have an interest in playing this on the PC, as I don't own a console.  Since that version doesn't come out until October and apparently is going to be Toy box only, is there any reason to buy any of the stuff available now?  Other than the sales going on currently.

Will the PC version even use the same figures, etc?  Since it is Toy box only, would there be any reason to buy the playsets?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2013, 03:24:05 AM »

I have a question about getting my kids online (with both this game and the Wii U).    When I first set up the Wii U, I made myself the only profile that was online.   My son seems to take an interest in online stuff, like downloaded levels and things like that.    Disney Infinity has some stuff you can download from their site (free DLC).   

So what's the best way to get him online without him using my saves. etc?    Should I set his profile up with my online info and using my Disney id?   Or should I set him up all by himself?
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2013, 03:37:27 AM »

Quote from: vrinnc on August 20, 2013, 02:51:05 AM

I would only have an interest in playing this on the PC, as I don't own a console.  Since that version doesn't come out until October and apparently is going to be Toy box only, is there any reason to buy any of the stuff available now?  Other than the sales going on currently.

Will the PC version even use the same figures, etc?  Since it is Toy box only, would there be any reason to buy the playsets?

I'm not sure exactly what the PC version will entail, but each figure comes with a card with a code that you enter online. That will likely unlock that figure for use on both the PC and iOS platforms.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2013, 05:31:58 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 20, 2013, 02:26:38 AM

Yeah, I saw something that showed there are at least chests/crates in the game that can only be accessed by certain characters.  They also allow you to unlock certain types of powers or items for everyone, I think.  The example I saw was the green stretchy/sticky hand was unlocked from Elasti-girl/Mrs Incredible. 

I saw the first of these playing more Incredibles tonight.  There were chests that had character faces on them.  The worst one, however, was a giant door that had all the characters on it.  You need to have all of them to get in there.  Dicks.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2013, 11:29:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 20, 2013, 05:31:58 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 20, 2013, 02:26:38 AM

I saw the first of these playing more Incredibles tonight.  There were chests that had character faces on them.  The worst one, however, was a giant door that had all the characters on it.  You need to have all of them to get in there.  Dicks.

Yeah, inside that they house the really cool stuff....like a Toy Box of the whole Metroville area.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »

Patch to fix ps3 was released last night. 1.03. Yay...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »

I did get to play this for maybe 3 hours on Monday night and it seemed fun.  I spent all of my time with Mr Incredible in the tutorials, toybox and quite a bit of time in the Incredibles city.

I don't think the jumping mechanics are quite as tight as they could be, but that may just be preference.  I was also not a fan of the long wind-up time to Mr Incredible's first punch, as it mad e me not really want to start punching crates, but that may be completely different for other characters.

Anyway, it is very cute and about the same level of fun, collecting and exploration as the LEGO games.  I can see lots of hours to spend in here with the different playsets and toybox, but because of bad timing this is on the back burner until I finish Saints Row 4.

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2013, 02:39:31 AM »

We put about two hours into the Lone Ranger playsets today and had a blast. I love how they did the cooperation as it seems they realize that little kids have no attention span. While my daughter runs around on her horse for no reason I'm doing the quests and moving things along. It's really well done IMHO and a lot of fun. Super happy with it so far.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »

so, how's this holding up?  still a blast or quickly moved on?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2013, 05:59:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 01, 2013, 05:46:21 AM

so, how's this holding up?  still a blast or quickly moved on?

Mixed results for me, but mostly I've been distracted by other games and will go back to more of this.  I finished the Incredibles playset this last week and frankly by the end of it I was pretty frustrated and ready to move on.  There are so many poor design decisions that make that set so frustrating, I can't imagine being a little kid playing that.

I willed myself to play a little bit of the Monsters Inc set which seemed OK but pretty small in scope (at least at the start).  Then I tried the Pirates one a couple nights ago and that is clearly the winner of the bunch.  I played for longer than I had intended and will definitely be going back to that one soon.

Haven't tried the Cars or the Lone Ranger sets yet, and I haven't spent all that much time with the Toybox yet other than to grab collectibles and do challenges.  I can definitely see kids that love things like LEGO and Minecraft getting a kick out of the Toybox.

Overall, one problem I see with their "sell extra characters" plan is that I have no desire to go back and play through any of these things with other characters.  Especially since they basically all play the same from what I hear.  I'm sure plenty of kids will want to buy the exact character they love, but I regret buying the extra sets I haven't opened.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »

Apparently the iPad Toy Box app has been released and is free until October 15th.  I guess it comes preloaded with 60 items and you can sync it for everything you unlocked in the game as well.

No sign of the Android or Windows companion apps.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: