http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 03:44:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disney closes Lucasarts!  (Read 2043 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2013, 11:06:46 PM »

Yep, real sad...so sad that Lucas didn't realize he was senile and had to disengage until it was too late.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2013, 09:39:50 AM »

And just to rub salt into the wounds,LucasArts were also making a HD version of Day of the Tentacle(apparently 80% complete but never officially greenlit)

The HD trend was being continued just like their Monkey Island games on XBLA

I have never played DotT so I would've snapped it up ..and surely Grim Fandango HD would not of been too far away icon_cry

Eurogamer

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »

So essentially, Lucas ruins our childhood, again.

That company was filled with so many mindless or self serving yes men by the end, I'm glad they sold to Disney. At least Disney can get stuff done.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »

Man such a love/hate when it comes to Lucas. He makes a series of movies that defines so many geek childhoods and then in the later years proceeds to drag that imagery through the mud with the prequels and crap like the special edition of the originals. Now we read that he screwed with game developers because he doesn't have a damn clue about the difference between games and movies.

I'll always appreciate what he started but man am I glad he has finally left the building.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »

I didn't read it as being Lucas's fault. From reading the article, he was genuinely interested in making good games, even becoming excited about them when involved. I think the fault lies in the management not schooling him in game development procedure (a problem when the management itself was disconnected from the process) which led him to have an unnatural expectation of what could be done. I don't blame him for thinking it could be done. If someone like the LucasArts president were able to approach him without restriction with concerns instead of that liaison dictacting everything, then I think things could have been different. He did what he knew best, making decisions from a filmmaker's point of view which was unfortunate, instead of decisions from a gamemaker's point of view due to a disconnect.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »

I disagree. He was involved in the production of movies, many movies in fact.

He should know that you don't change too much during or after filming, or if you do, you get ready for costly reshoots.

Anyone involved in a big production goes through preproduction for a reason, scripts are drafted for a reason even if changes are made on the spot during filming. Sets, props, costumes, are all made ahead of time and if changes are made those are wasted.

What he did was essentially tell them to, in the middle of filming, recast and rewrite the entire story.

As we all know, many movies have actually had that happen, and they all don't fare well. Games just happen to fare worse when that happens.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 28, 2013, 04:32:11 PM

At least Disney can get stuff done.

hopefully.  movie wise I believe so, game wise it remains to be seen.  At least they're farming out the game stuff.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2013, 07:54:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 28, 2013, 06:54:27 PM

Quote from: Turtle on September 28, 2013, 04:32:11 PM

At least Disney can get stuff done.

hopefully.  movie wise I believe so, game wise it remains to be seen.  At least they're farming out the game stuff.

well,they didn't take too much time shoving the games EA's way

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »

yep, that they did.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2013, 09:44:18 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 28, 2013, 06:39:01 PM

I disagree. He was involved in the production of movies, many movies in fact.

He should know that you don't change too much during or after filming, or if you do, you get ready for costly reshoots.

Anyone involved in a big production goes through preproduction for a reason, scripts are drafted for a reason even if changes are made on the spot during filming. Sets, props, costumes, are all made ahead of time and if changes are made those are wasted.

What he did was essentially tell them to, in the middle of filming, recast and rewrite the entire story.

As we all know, many movies have actually had that happen, and they all don't fare well. Games just happen to fare worse when that happens.

I don't disagree, in fact that was pretty much my point. But I do think it stemmed from a lack of communication in knowing how much those decisions would affect the game. The article does say that as a filmmaker, he was used to changing his mind all the time, (and probably got too used to doing so), but didn't realize how damaging that same process of thought could be towards game development, especially one so close to the end. For all we know, he probably didn't know how far along they were with the game considering all the other stuff and lack of communication going on within the company. I don't attribute that to a lack of foresight on his part, but rather the management and their carelessness.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:46:03 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »

However, the management was chosen by Lucas. Full of yes men and panderers. It's no wonder things were as bad as described.

That is essentially lack of foresight at the highest level of the company.

It's very rarely you can lay such colossal problems at the feet of one man, but in this case, Lucas owned pretty much every part of LucasFilm and Arts.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on September 28, 2013, 06:29:37 PM

I didn't read it as being Lucas's fault. From reading the article, he was genuinely interested in making good games, even becoming excited about them when involved. I think the fault lies in the management not schooling him in game development procedure (a problem when the management itself was disconnected from the process) which led him to have an unnatural expectation of what could be done. I don't blame him for thinking it could be done. If someone like the LucasArts president were able to approach him without restriction with concerns instead of that liaison dictacting everything, then I think things could have been different. He did what he knew best, making decisions from a filmmaker's point of view which was unfortunate, instead of decisions from a gamemaker's point of view due to a disconnect.

Its clearly stated in the article that he came in and told them to make major changes after they were well into development with the 1313 game. Maybe he felt its wasn't that big of a deal but someone needed to stand up and say that's too much, but its apparent the management was a bunch of "yes men" that bowed to the mighty Lucas.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2013, 04:41:26 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 28, 2013, 11:35:20 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on September 28, 2013, 06:29:37 PM

Its clearly stated in the article that he came in and told them to make major changes after they were well into development with the 1313 game. Maybe he felt its wasn't that big of a deal but someone needed to stand up and say that's too much, but its apparent the management was a bunch of "yes men" that bowed to the mighty Lucas.

Yes, exactly. Someone needed to stand up to him and at least inform him that it wasn't a good idea to do so late in development, but the liaison from what was described in the article didn't make that possible. I'd have thought that the developers would be more on the equal in terms of honest feedback with him, but apparently that wasn't the case. Honestly, I'd rather have wanted to play as an unnamed bounty hunter that I could name myself. I know that technically Boba Fett would likely sell better, but from a gameplay perspective being an unnamed bounty hunter making a name for himself by rising through the ranks just feels more appealing to me. So, even if the project hadn't been cancelled, I think the idea itself wouldn't have been a great one.  The Jedi Knight games are a great example of using an original character and telling his story within the universe. I think something along those lines would have been fine.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: