http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disney closes Lucasarts!  (Read 2345 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/03/disney-closes-lucasarts/

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," Disney informed Game Informer in a statement. "As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »

Nice one, Disney.   icon_mad crybaby

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »

part of me wants to scream FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK in nostalgia while the other part thinks that this will be good for Star Wars games (and their other properties) in general since LA since it has been a while since Lucasarts themselves have put out a quality game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »

You left out the important part:

Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects--Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313--were cancelled.

Why toss all that work?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »

Man...that's tough to read.  They had a great run, especially in the 80s and 90s.  

It will probably be a lot more profitable for them to sell and consult on the license than to maintain a development studio...similar to how Marvel does things.  They can just sit back and have people come to them, without having to carry the development costs or risks.  

Edited: Boo!  They canceled the existing projects?  1313 was looking and sounding good!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:52:57 PM by Roguetad » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »

Then again, 1313 was using assets from the Star Wars live action series. Maybe that means they've decided to go forward with the series instead of the game.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »

1313 getting mothballed is sad, but as much as I used to love LucasArts, the LucasArts I loved died long ago.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 06:05:42 PM »

While that stinks they really haven't created many good games in the last 5 years.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »

Damn,  lots of great childhood memories as a kid.

Afterlife
Armed and Dangerous
Battlehawks 1942
Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Action Game
Angry Birds: Star Wars (with Rovio)
Maniac Mansion
Masterblazer
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
Outlaws
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe
Star Wars Arcade
Star Wars (American & European version)
Star Wars Chess
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars: Battlefront
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Empire at War
Star Wars: Force Commander
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Star Wars: Galaxies
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Rebel Assault
Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire
Star Wars: Rebellion
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Atari Games)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Star Wars: X-Wing
Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
Strike Fleet
The Dig
Their Finest Hour
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »

fuck you Disney

EDIT:

From reading the comments on that page

Can Star Wars games get developed still by other companies?(although that happened before)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:39:42 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 03, 2013, 06:01:20 PM

1313 getting mothballed is sad, but as much as I used to love LucasArts, the LucasArts I loved died long ago.

Agree.  And it's not like SW games are going to stop.  They'll just get made by better developers now.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »

My favorite thing about Lucasarts was the funny intros with dancing stormtroopers and such they would put at the beginning of their games.   I usually think about how I would love to play an HD remade version of X-Wing and TIE Fighter most every day.  Those two games were so awesome.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »

LucasArts was no more than a shell of their once great selves. It's sad but it's a nostalgic sadness more than anything. Sucks for those who all got laid off though.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 03, 2013, 06:35:10 PM

I usually think about how I would love to play an HD remade version of X-Wing and TIE Fighter most every day.  Those two games were so awesome.

Totally agree, and some recent space shooter releases have shown that console controllers can work just fine for the genre.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »

It's true that LucasArts hasn't really made a game I loved in years.  And of course going the license route reduces their financial risk while also potentially exposing their properties to outside talent that could do them real justice.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »

Was looking forward to 1313. frown
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »

1313 was a standout amazing thing though.   Seeing it in action, I WANTED that game...can't say that was the case with their titles for a long time.  I hope people somehow convince them to keep going with that title....or farm the whole thing as-is to somebody.  Something!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 07:30:10 PM »

TBH 1313 didn't really excite me,it looked pretty,but that's about it....i was expecting another Force Unleashed type game from it..i remember Force Unleashed looked pretty damn amazing,yet it turned out to be a complete pig of a game

It was a dumb decision anyway a year or two ago to say that all their games from now on would be in-house(except they said SW:TOR)

for me,the last great LucasArts developed game?

Star Wars Republic Commando!!-March 2005

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 07:55:55 PM »

Sad to see them come to an end.  There's lots of great gaming memories that all started with the Lucasarts logo.

That said, I'm hoping this ends up leading to some quality Star Wars games by other studios.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »

my initial rage is balanced against LA's complete lack of quality titles in recent years.  also sad that one more developer of my teenage gaming years is gone.  

given the big D's shift away from anything Ep I-VI, I fully expected them to cancel 1313 once it came out that they were cancelling The Clone Wars series.  for those two, they earn a hearty  finger

whether they get the other finger raised permanently is dependent on where they take Ep VII-IX

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 03, 2013, 06:35:10 PM

My favorite thing about Lucasarts was the funny intros with dancing stormtroopers and such they would put at the beginning of their games. 

And then they started making games with actual dancing stormtroopers.

Yeah, my initial reaction was anger, but then I realized that this is probably a good thing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 09:06:12 PM »

Sorry, Disney is already on board with dancing stormtroopers.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »

Star Wars: First Assault looked great to me. frown
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »

Been spending a little time today researching the LucasArts game library to remind myself of some of my personal favorites. Looking back, they sure did make an incredible number of great and classic games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

My favorites:
Rescue on Fractalus - That and Ballblazer were the first LA games I ever played. Rescue was so awesome because of the jump-out-of-your-chair moment when the pilot you were supposed to rescue was an alien and scared the living crap out of you. Good times. icon_cool

Their Finest Hour/Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe - I spent countless hours at my friend's house playing these games. As flight sims, they were not terribly realistic even back in the day, but the gameplay was so incredibly addicting and compelling. The graphics at the time were pretty awesome too.

X-Wing/Tie Fighter - A couple of the greatest games ever made in my opinion. Yes, the missions were highly scripted and almost puzzle-like a lot of the time, but there was nothing cooler than flying those iconic Star Wars ships. The fact that a modern sequel, or even reboot game was never developed was a colossal missed opportunity by LA. Hell, even reskinned versions of the originals on Xbox Live or PSN would have been a sure fire hit.

Full Throttle - Probably my favorite LA adventure game. The story, voice acting and soundtrack were all perfect. If only the game wasn't so short. I still listen to the soundtrack today, by the Bone Jackals (Bone to Pick is the album and still available on Amazon). This game deserved a sequel, which LA attempted twice but canceled.

*sigh* truly an end of an era...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »

Come on, Grim Fandango!  Sam & Max!  biggrin

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »

Well. Fuck.  disgust
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 01:41:39 AM »

A few hours later,i am fine with this...sure this gen is screwed now,and we will have to play the waiting game again,but i am glad something can be done instead of LA sitting on their games

A new KOTOR,SWBF,RC,Jedi Knight,Tie Fighter/X-wing game,Indiana Jones ..WHATEVER!!....could be more of a possibility now

oh,and then there is this from GameInformer

1313 and First Assault could be saved

Website Kotaku is reporting that 150 LucasArts employees have been laid off, and that the games Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313 have been cancelled. However, the representative we spoke to said that the company is also evaluating its options regarding projects currently in development, which could be licensed out to external development and publishing partners:

"It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans. We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production... They're evaluating everything. There's always a possibility that it [Star Wars 1313] can still come out via licensing."

The representative also remarked on the general mood at the studio today, which, understandably, is not upbeat:

"It's super sad. It's a terrible day. I want to make sure everyone realizes that there still will be Star Wars games out there."

As for the 150 employees Gearbox and Ubisoft have both been advertising today for job openings afetr todays news,so hopefully they can all find new jobs quickly

Quote from: wonderpug on April 03, 2013, 09:06:12 PM

for the love of.....when Vader emerged ..i ...just.....okay,no words can be said for that video

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 03:10:22 AM »

From Wired, bold by me:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/04/lucasarts-disney/

I can see why Lucas, as a standalone company, would want to fix its games division. But Disney has no such need. It has a games division already, it doesn’t need to try to fix LucasArts’ problems. It’s sad when hundreds of people lose their jobs, but organizations that are no longer competitive need to die to make room for ones that are. If it’s Star Wars games you’re after, there’s no reason an external developer can’t handle them.

And if you’re nostalgic for the great old Lucas games of old, like Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion, this is good news for you. First of all, the people who made those games are already working at Telltale or Double Fine making exactly what you wish Lucas was still making. If you want a new Grim Fandango, a shift to a licensing-only model makes it more likely that Disney will look to cash in on that latent demand.

Again, if you’re in that latter group, the LucasArts you’re so nostalgic for died a long, long time ago when the company cancelled its Sam & Max sequel and laid off the whole team. And then that team formed Telltale Games and eventually made The Walking Dead. The LucasArts that died today is not the one you loved, and it was never going to be again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:12:20 AM by leo8877 » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 03:37:01 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 03, 2013, 09:06:12 PM

That video depicts a white man in a black suit voiced by a black man in Michael Jackson's role. How appropriately confusing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 03:38:58 AM »

I find it funny that of all the games I miss, very few of them begin with "Star Wars".

No, DF2: Jedi Knight, I still love you.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 05:16:16 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 04, 2013, 03:10:22 AM

From Wired, bold by me:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/04/lucasarts-disney/

I can see why Lucas, as a standalone company, would want to fix its games division. But Disney has no such need. It has a games division already, it doesn’t need to try to fix LucasArts’ problems. It’s sad when hundreds of people lose their jobs, but organizations that are no longer competitive need to die to make room for ones that are. If it’s Star Wars games you’re after, there’s no reason an external developer can’t handle them.

And if you’re nostalgic for the great old Lucas games of old, like Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion, this is good news for you. First of all, the people who made those games are already working at Telltale or Double Fine making exactly what you wish Lucas was still making. If you want a new Grim Fandango, a shift to a licensing-only model makes it more likely that Disney will look to cash in on that latent demand.

Again, if you’re in that latter group, the LucasArts you’re so nostalgic for died a long, long time ago when the company cancelled its Sam & Max sequel and laid off the whole team. And then that team formed Telltale Games and eventually made The Walking Dead. The LucasArts that died today is not the one you loved, and it was never going to be again.

that's pretty much how I feel.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »

apparently 1313 WAS about Boba Fett

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 04, 2013, 03:31:38 PM

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »

Ha....well,that's one cartoon with death and Violence ATB  Tongue  icon_wink

CVG and GameInformer both have their dream wishlist for new devs to tackle Star Wars IPs

tell me what you think

CVG
Monkey Island-Double Fine Productions
Day Of The Tentacle - Telltale Games
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Arkane
Star Wars 1313 - Epic Games
X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter - 1C: Maddox Games
Indiana Jones - Naughty Dog
Star Wars: Battlefront - DICE

GameInformer
Star Wars: Jedi Knight – Ninja Theory
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic – Bethesda/BioWare
Indiana Jones – Ubisoft Montreal
X-Wing – Chris Roberts
Star Wars: Battlefront – DICE
Star Wars: Empire At War – Stardock
LucasArts Adventure Games – Double Fine/Telltale

Looks like they are both agreed that DICE should handle Battlefront,but is that just another typical answer like Naughty Dog doing Indiana Jones?

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »

Hope everyone who worked there finds other jobs, but really, not a big loss when looking at the state lucasarts was in, they had already been sucked dry of any quality.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 03:44:33 PM »

I'm not surprised at all considering virtually every Star Wars videogame that was good in the past decade was developed by a 3rd party studio. Add to that the fact that LA left their non Star Wars AAA licenses frozen in hibernation. 1313 did look promising, but I had fears it would amount to another Force Unleashed - good game at the core, but marred by a few nasty bugs and some poor level design decisions. I'm skeptical Disney will do the SW franchise justice by licensing games through 3rd parties. The whole setting demands things on a epic and grand scale and I can't imagine many publishers wanting to fork out the $ to pull that off. If they had the imagination to allow smaller, more retro-styled SW games to be created by Indie studios we could get good games, but I doubt Disney can think that much out of the box.

I guess on a positive note this could be good for fans of the Old Republic Online, as without competition from videogames it might have more of a fighting chance now as a F2P MMO.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:46:10 PM by kronovan » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 05, 2013, 03:44:33 PM

The whole setting demands things on a epic and grand scale and I can't imagine many publishers wanting to fork out the $ to pull that off.

When the new movies are closer to being released, the Star Wars license will suddenly appear very attractive. I predict that there will be no shortage of offers from those who wish to make games for it.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 05, 2013, 03:49:20 PM

The whole setting demands things on a epic and grand scale and I can't imagine many publishers wanting to fork out the $ to pull that off.

When the new movies are closer to being released, the Star Wars license will suddenly appear very attractive. I predict that there will be no shortage of offers from those who wish to make games for it.

I don't doubt they'll be many offers, but I doubt they'll be projects on the scale of games like SW Battlefront or even Raven Softs Jedi Knight games. I think 3rd party publishers will opt to bring games on the scale and quality of what Krome studios recent, craptastic releases were. Why make a quality game when you've sure to make $ on a crappy, lesser offering who's sales are being pushed by the popularity of a blockbuster movie?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »

I'm not sad to see LucasArts go. The spiritual successors live on in places like Double Fine and Telltales.

I would say the saddest thing about the studio shutting down will be the dismantling of the studio itself - I had been there a handful of times in the past five years and it was always a cool experience to see all the Star Wars (and various other properties) movie props.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 05, 2013, 04:08:48 PM

Quote from: TiLT on April 05, 2013, 03:49:20 PM

I don't doubt they'll be many offers, but I doubt they'll be projects on the scale of games like SW Battlefront or even Raven Softs Jedi Knight games. I think 3rd party publishers will opt to bring games on the scale and quality of what Krome studios recent, craptastic releases were. Why make a quality game when you've sure to make $ on a crappy, lesser offering who's sales are being pushed by the popularity of a blockbuster movie?

I think the excitement is already mounting and Star Wars is still a sandbox that plenty of people want to play in, design-wise. Especially with the chance to do something good.

I imagine that if we don't hear an announcement very soon, it'll only be because Disney wants to keep its cards close to the chest.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: