http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 01:08:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3] Dishonored  (Read 7867 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »

didn't get much time to play last night, but started playing through the first full mission.  it was so awesome when I answered the doors for the 'Gentlemen Callers':

Spoiler for Hiden:
stepped right out and slit the first guys throat instantly, then bamfed behind the second guy and stuck him, then the third guy did the fire breathing thing on me but for some reason I took no damage and I stuck him too.

I like blink.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2012, 08:30:42 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 10, 2012, 05:55:49 PM

For stealth I bought....
Spoiler for Hiden:
Crossbow upgrades and vision upgrades - all of em.  I also bought the boot upgrades that make me quieter.   I maxed vision, stop time, and blink.  Beyond that it didn't matter for stealth.
I'm not sure why we're putting this in spoiler tags but I guess I can play along...
Spoiler for Hiden:
You may want to pick up possession and even rat summoning.  There are areas you can bypass by becoming a rat and running through holes in the walls.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2012, 03:29:54 AM »

Put in another 4 hours tonight, and am really starting to enjoy it.  The last mission I did was very Thief-esque:  a massive area that had multiple ways of achieving the objective, and the patience and sneakiness required really ratcheted up the tension.  Getting a better feel for the stealth, and while I'd still love a light jewel, the way they did it makes sense.  While it's actually kinda nice to be able to go toe to toe with a guard when I get caught, I can't imagine playing this as a standard action game.  Seems like it would be awfully dull.

Lordnine, you're off the hook.  For now.   ninja

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 10, 2012, 05:55:49 PM

For stealth I bought....
Spoiler for Hiden:
Crossbow upgrades and vision upgrades - all of em.  I also bought the boot upgrades that make me quieter.   I maxed vision, stop time, and blink.  Beyond that it didn't matter for stealth.

Do you get these upgrades later in the game?  There's nothing about vision or boots in the dude's workshop so far...maybe I'm missing something.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2012, 03:56:09 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 11, 2012, 03:29:54 AM

Do you get these upgrades later in the game?  There's nothing about vision or boots in the dude's workshop so far...maybe I'm missing something.

as you play you should come across blueprints for new items for the guy to build (plus some may unlock as you progress; I can't comment on that yet).  in the Distillery district I found a guy who sold 2 different ones.  I do believe the vision Ron is talking about is the Darkvision spell though.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2012, 04:20:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2012, 03:56:09 AM

Quote from: Gratch on October 11, 2012, 03:29:54 AM

Do you get these upgrades later in the game?  There's nothing about vision or boots in the dude's workshop so far...maybe I'm missing something.

as you play you should come across blueprints for new items for the guy to build (plus some may unlock as you progress; I can't comment on that yet).  in the Distillery district I found a guy who sold 2 different ones.  I do believe the vision Ron is talking about is the Darkvision spell though.

I've got the Darkvision spell upgraded to level II, but haven't come across any blueprints yet.  I freed some dude who said he sold them, but then he ran off and I haven't been able to find him again.

Not having any sort of map is rather annoying.  I'm seriously considering picking this up so I'm not wandering around lost all the time.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »

Vision upgrade is found in the workshop in the first mission or shortly after.   Make sure you take notice that there are both upgrades and item to purchases there.

On an unrelated note you can find a Thief Easter egg. 
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2012, 05:10:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 10, 2012, 05:51:43 PM

I'd like to add I'm still getting the City 17 vibe.

Same here as well. It uses a lot of good influences in very good ways. Certainly not ripping anything off. It really has its own identity still..

And on the "no map" decision. I probably looked for it 5 times. I kept thinking, okay there's got to be a map! Odd that its missing, but I don't know if it would have killed the exploration aspect a bit for me or not. So I suppose maybe better without the map? Who knows.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:15:39 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2012, 01:06:09 AM »

I discovered an incredibly simple feature by accident that other FPS should be ashamed that they donít have.  Not only can you pull yourself up onto objects but if you jump from one surface and miss or if the other surface is a reasonable height above your head your character will still grab the edge and pull himself up.  Why doesnít every FPS do this?!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2012, 01:20:38 AM »

played a bunch of this last night, about 4 hours or so.  made my way through about half of the first level, doing all side quests.  love the vibe, but I do wish there were more random civilians and guards wandering around.  seems there was only one in the first area (I did pick her pockets though) and nothing other than the guards and the street mob. 

I really like the way the city looks and agree on the city 17 vibe, primarily for the massive steel walls sealing off chunks of the city and the electrical barriers they have.  although those aren't that effective considering all of the elevated walkways and boxes helpfully stacked around.  I haven't been playing cleanly on this one; if a guard is in my way, he's rat bait.  I did stealth the distillery though, which was a lot of fun working out the best routes to avoid guards while robbing them blind.  I which there was a way to knock out enemies with a melee weapon though.  seems you only have sleeping darts, which forces you to avoid more than disable guards.  keeps the tension high though, so that's better for the mood.

I like the mana system in this one a lot more than other games with similar power systems.  Deus Ex HR would have benefited from going this route instead of the way they did it, as would Bioshock imho.

This and XCom make me feel guilty for putting BL2 aside. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2012, 01:26:20 AM »

some PC .ini file tweaks, like disabling the logo movies and some FOV stuff.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2012, 05:21:01 AM »

Iíve gotten quite a bit further and love how you see how your actions changed the world when you revisit an area.  Houses you explored before can be boarded up and abandoned or new people could have moved in.  Some of the more interesting results I wonít go into because of spoilers but itís safe to say there is a lot of fun stuff if you look for it.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2012, 07:21:39 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 12, 2012, 01:06:09 AM

I discovered an incredibly simple feature by accident that other FPS should be ashamed that they donít have.  Not only can you pull yourself up onto objects but if you jump from one surface and miss or if the other surface is a reasonable height above your head your character will still grab the edge and pull himself up.  Why doesnít every FPS do this?!

Agreed. For anyone worried about this games length. Don't be. I grabbed this Tuesday and have play it every night since, and I'm still playing tonight, I think that was only 3 "story" missions. There is a TON of other stuff to do. Truly impressive game. Whilst the graphics in general are decent with a great art direction. Sometimes it looks absolutely stunning.

Edit: yeah, there's alot if content. There's equally as many good good quality side things to do here as the "main" stuff. Wow. Back to it so I can play for another hr before I jump in bed with my wife and pretend I've been in bed for hrs! icon_lol
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:50:01 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2012, 10:38:50 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 12, 2012, 05:21:01 AM

Iíve gotten quite a bit further and love how you see how your actions changed the world when you revisit an area.  Houses you explored before can be boarded up and abandoned or new people could have moved in.  Some of the more interesting results I wonít go into because of spoilers but itís safe to say there is a lot of fun stuff if you look for it.

finally made it through the first mission last night (been busy with some other stuff) but find it cool I can go back to areas later.  I did scout out the Distillery district pretty good, got all the charms and runs but was surprised at how much gold I apparently missed.

Spoiler for Hiden:
didn't kill the Overseer though.  had fun tranqing him as he ran down the stairs and then branding him as a heretic.

I've got a ton of runes stored up; haven't felt the need to spend them since this is my 'I am Death to my enemies or anyone else crossing my path' run, but I think I may quickly max out the one skill that turns your victims to ash after you whack them.  that way I won't have to spend time remembering to check over the body to see if there is loot-  it'll all fall to the floor biggrin

of course I won't have anything to feed the rats with then.....

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2012, 01:57:04 PM »

I've just picked this game up,i got some special edition version that included a pack of Tarot cards retard and a download card for :
-Void Channel
-White Rat Friend
-Gutter Feast
-In-game Statue
-Book
-500 coins

to tell you the truth,i don't really know much about the game,i have just seen you guys go on about it and the review scores,oh and the Bethesda logo,which is usually enough for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 12, 2012, 10:38:50 AM

First mission spoilers
Spoiler for Hiden:
didn't kill the Overseer though.  had fun tranqing him as he ran down the stairs and then branding him as a heretic.

Hah! I wish I had done that.  I did do the non lethal completion on the second mission though and thought it was far more satisfying than actually killing the targets.  I'm glad that the nonlethal solutions arent lame like just sending the guilty to jail or something.  Evil people deserve punishments worse than death.   icon_twisted
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »

OK, so how do I go back to revisit areas to see what has changed?  is it something that is enabled further into the game?

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 12, 2012, 09:18:34 PM

OK, so how do I go back to revisit areas to see what has changed?  is it something that is enabled further into the game?

I'm not super far in and I'm seeing it now. The world isn't as nice as once was...I'm playing right down the middle it seems, with a bit more killing than intended.frown 

It seemed to me like this games "tutorial" is EXTREMELY long.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2012, 04:53:18 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 12, 2012, 09:24:53 PM

I'm not super far in and I'm seeing it now. The world isn't as nice as once was...I'm playing right down the middle it seems, with a bit more killing than intended.frown 

ah, I see what was meant by revisit now.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2012, 06:41:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 13, 2012, 04:53:18 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 12, 2012, 09:24:53 PM

ah, I see what was meant by revisit now.

It reminds you of your actions thus far in a really organic way.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2012, 07:16:02 PM »

Yes, and after seeing the effects of my previous side mission, I kind of regret doing what I did. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2012, 11:42:11 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 13, 2012, 07:16:02 PM

Yes, and after seeing the effects of my previous side mission, I kind of regret doing what I did. 

Same here. This shaping up to be my goty.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2012, 05:24:53 AM »

Man, some of these missions are looooooooong.  Just finished up the "physician" mission, which took me just over 3 hours.  Very fun though.  There's a spot towards the end where I could have completed the mission and moved on, but saw just one more treasure that looked appealing.  Of course, it was guarded by 6 baddies so I had to spend quite a bit of time working my way around them.   ninja  Been trying to be stealthy, but my body count always ends up a bit higher than I'd like.  

I'm not sure this'll end up as my GOTY (awfully tough to best Guild Wars 2 this year), but it's certainly looking to be second on the list.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2012, 06:52:45 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 14, 2012, 05:24:53 AM

Man, some of these missions are looooooooong.  Just finished up the "physician" mission, which took me just over 3 hours.  Very fun though.  There's a spot towards the end where I could have completed the mission and moved on, but saw just one more treasure that looked appealing.  Of course, it was guarded by 6 baddies so I had to spend quite a bit of time working my way around them.   ninja  Been trying to be stealthy, but my body count always ends up a bit higher than I'd like.  

I'm not sure this'll end up as my GOTY (awfully tough to best Guild Wars 2 this year), but it's certainly looking to be second on the list.

Yeah "only 9 missions" isn't a very valid argument when they are this long and stuffed with so much to do!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »

I've still got my no kill game going after getting the doctor, but I gave up on the ghost part a while back.  I was reloading every time I made a mistake and it just sucked all the fun out of the game.  Once I got rid of that notion, then when I would get detected, I would just wing it, which is the fun part of this game.  Doing the no kill part is pretty easy even in that environment.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »

So, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it was actually supposed to be this way.  On the masquerade ball mission:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got into the party (a "safe zone" as long as I wasn't killing anyone) and started talking with the guests and gathering intel.  Found out that I'd need to get upstairs in order to find clues.  Did so without a problem, stole everything that wasn't nailed down, choked out the upstairs guards, and found out which person I was supposed to assassinate.  I snuck out a window, back down to the ground, and re-entered the "safe zone" of the party.  Everything was fine for about 5 minutes (I was walking around, talking with guests, talking to the guards, etc. with no issues), then every single guard in the building suddenly turned on me at the same time.  I hadn't done anything to warrant suspicion (in fact, I was simply standing and listening to a conversation when it happened), so I have no idea why the sudden switch.  Ended up having to kill every guard in the place in order to get out, which wasn't really how I'd wanted that mission to go down.  I also somehow managed to kill two cowering civilians simply by bumping into them.  Didn't even have my weapons drawn, I just bumped them and they fell over screaming and died.   saywhat

It was really strange.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 14, 2012, 06:37:42 PM

So, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it was actually supposed to be this way.  On the masquerade ball mission:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got into the party (a "safe zone" as long as I wasn't killing anyone) and started talking with the guests and gathering intel.  Found out that I'd need to get upstairs in order to find clues.  Did so without a problem, stole everything that wasn't nailed down, choked out the upstairs guards, and found out which person I was supposed to assassinate.  I snuck out a window, back down to the ground, and re-entered the "safe zone" of the party.  Everything was fine for about 5 minutes (I was walking around, talking with guests, talking to the guards, etc. with no issues), then every single guard in the building suddenly turned on me at the same time.  I hadn't done anything to warrant suspicion (in fact, I was simply standing and listening to a conversation when it happened), so I have no idea why the sudden switch.  Ended up having to kill every guard in the place in order to get out, which wasn't really how I'd wanted that mission to go down.  I also somehow managed to kill two cowering civilians simply by bumping into them.  Didn't even have my weapons drawn, I just bumped them and they fell over screaming and died.   saywhat

It was really strange.

I'm on that mission now so I skipped over a few things, but...there was a few times that I swore I did nothing and all of a sudden the guards went nuts. I Just reloaded and moved on. Never happened twice in the same spot I believe. Also, I've killed civs by just bumping into them, or the occasional dropped in on them.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »

I often create "body stacks" of knocked out guards, only to come back later and have them all be gone.  Glitch, or do they regain consciousness and start patrolling again after a while?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2012, 11:17:57 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 14, 2012, 10:54:15 PM

I often create "body stacks" of knocked out guards, only to come back later and have them all be gone.  Glitch, or do they regain consciousness and start patrolling again after a while?

I think it's a glitch.  I'll often take out three enemies and only see two bodies laying on the ground once they're all dead.  same thing with other dead bodies, they seem to disappear.

[edit] ah, maybe not a glitch but the way the system is set.  here's a fix
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:20:08 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 14, 2012, 08:40:12 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 14, 2012, 06:37:42 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

It was really strange.

I'm on that mission now so I skipped over a few things, but...there was a few times that I swore I did nothing and all of a sudden the guards went nuts. I Just reloaded and moved on. Never happened twice in the same spot I believe. Also, I've killed civs by just bumping into them, or the occasional dropped in on them.

Read on GameFAQs this morning that it's a bug that occurs when a party guest wanders into a restricted area and gets killed by the guards.  The game apparently attributes that kill to you, which causes all the guards to go nuts.  Explains why it felt so totally random, but there's no way to avoid it.  Apparently just a case of bad luck if the AI controlled guest decides to go that way.   icon_evil

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2012, 09:13:47 PM »

Played it through and what a wonderful experience that was. At first I wanted to go for a none killing run but I pretty soon decided to kill guys because... I liked that.  icon_razz

No doubt going to play it again sometimes soonish though and not kill anyone/quicksave all the time to avoid getting into trouble where I have to kill.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2012, 05:21:34 AM »

There are some really interesting story elements hidden if you search enough.  I found a recording in a secret room that I had to climb through a fireplace to find that most people will probably never hear. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2012, 01:26:23 AM »

just finished the Lord Regent mission:

Spoiler for Hiden:
neutralized him, but then the guards decided to escort him through a Wall of Light that I had rewired.  didn't want to have him killed this playthrough, so I quickloaded and then had a mad cap dash to disable the wall before they got to it.

on the aftermath of that mission:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I knew the betrayal was coming, but I was kind of hoping they'd surprise me and not go through with it.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2012, 02:34:08 AM »

I'm still on mission 6 I believe. Still enjoying it alot!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2012, 09:39:06 AM »

And the other boot drops...

Well there wasnt a first one but,

Corrupted data message when i load my game. It tells me to redownload it etc(PSN version), which i didn't catch the end of the message at the time or realize I had yet. So i wipe everything off and read up on this situation. Supposedly I could have just redownloaded it and NOT delete my saves and it would have worked...Common bug to some extent!
So tomorrow night, START OVER! Which I guess isnt too bad for an awesome game like this, but REALLY!?!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

While I like Dishonored, it's got a ton of very significant bugs.  I suppose that's to be expected in a game which allows for this much player freedom, but is disappointing nonetheless.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2012, 03:50:47 PM »

Sigh... Probably start my new game tonight of this, with a slightly different play style..
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2012, 03:33:58 AM »

and done.  the last mission ended up with the 'High Chaos' rating.

Spoiler for Hiden:
blinked back to the boat and killed Samuel after he blew my cover.  his sudden dislike for Corvo seemed a bit too scripted, I didn't notice his demeanor changing at all over the game when I was busy piling up the bodies.

wish they had a compiled stats page, but after going through each missions stats my final kill count was 394 dead enemies and 8 civilians collateraled.

excellent game altogether, definitely a GOTY contender for me.  gonna do another playthrough at some point, this time trying the no kill approach, but for now

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2012, 04:37:17 AM »

I'm getting closer to the end (mission 8 ) and have basically given up on the no-kill option.  Especially now that there are assassins who can spot me from 100 yards away and teleport right next to me.  I'm still trying to be somewhat stealthy (crossbow has started to get much more use), but no-kill seems damn near impossible.  I'm currently sitting at a 'high' chaos rating with 54 enemy kills.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2012, 06:01:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2012, 03:33:58 AM

and done.  the last mission ended up with the 'High Chaos' rating.

Spoiler for Hiden:
blinked back to the boat and killed Samuel after he blew my cover.  his sudden dislike for Corvo seemed a bit too scripted, I didn't notice his demeanor changing at all over the game when I was busy piling up the bodies.

Peoples reactions change based on your chaos level.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Samuel had a rather heartfelt goodbye for my character, saying that he looked up to and respected me. I completed most of the missions without killing anyone including the targets though.  I had Very Low chaos until the 2nd to last mission and still had Low Chaos at the start of the last.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2012, 06:06:54 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 18, 2012, 04:37:17 AM

I'm getting closer to the end (mission 8 ) and have basically given up on the no-kill option.  Especially now that there are assassins who can spot me from 100 yards away and teleport right next to me.  I'm still trying to be somewhat stealthy (crossbow has started to get much more use), but no-kill seems damn near impossible.  I'm currently sitting at a 'high' chaos rating with 54 enemy kills.

Sleeping darts are essential if you don’t want to kill anyone.  Also, don’t forget that you can combine spells to do things that otherwise wouldn’t be possible.  Slow time and then walk behind a person to knock them out or just possess a rat or a fish and sneak behind them.  If you can’t find a rat normally you can also use the rat summon spell to make your own.  Human possession is useful even if you don’t want to use their body  because a recently possessed person spend the next few seconds vomiting which buys you time to incapacitate them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:09:22 AM by Lordnine » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: