http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 02:50:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3] Dishonored  (Read 8486 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »

darn you ALL TO HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »

Quote from: Caine on October 08, 2012, 06:16:37 AM

glad to hear it's as good as it was looking.  any idea how long it took you to do your near zero kill run, Ron?

By most recounts, a playthrough takes around 20 hours.

edit: eh..accounts, no idea why I wrote recounts :-D

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »

Apparently, some testers have beat it in 4 hours.

I guess once you know the levels and optimal paths you can burn through it, but where's the fun in that?

They also mention an interesting story mechanic that alters the story, missions, and final outcome of the game based on the Chaos level of your play through. Chaos is generated by generally being messy and bloodthirsty during missions, and the level of chaos affects later missions to various degrees.

One specific thing they mention is that a higher Chaos overall means more guards to avoid (or mow down).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 08, 2012, 11:15:54 AM

Apparently, some testers have beat it in 4 hours.

I guess once you know the levels and optimal paths you can burn through it, but where's the fun in that?

They also mention an interesting story mechanic that alters the story, missions, and final outcome of the game based on the Chaos level of your play through. Chaos is generated by generally being messy and bloodthirsty during missions, and the level of chaos affects later missions to various degrees.

One specific thing they mention is that a higher Chaos overall means more guards to avoid (or mow down).

I don't see how 4 hours is even remotely possible having played the game twice.   

As for higher chaos, you don't get more guards - you get more rats and more weepers. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »

My review is up!   

http://gamingtrend.com/

Yep - it's the front page banner.   As far as how long it took - I spelled it out in the review.  I went 100% stealth and it took me just over 20 hours.   I'll have my review for the 360 version later this week where I slaughtered every man, woman, weeper, rat, dog, and innocent whale oil canister later this week.   Just a hint - it's just as good.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »

Just an FYI for anyone who ordered from GMG.  I didn't receive an email with my Steam code but it was waiting for me when I logged into the site.  If you want to get a head start on your preload you might want to check your account.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:23 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 08, 2012, 03:58:15 PM

My review is up!   

Yep - it's the front page banner.   As far as how long it took - I spelled it out in the review.  I went 100% stealth and it took me just over 20 hours.   I'll have my review for the 360 version later this week where I slaughtered every man, woman, weeper, rat, dog, and innocent whale oil canister later this week.   Just a hint - it's just as good.  smile

The link in the front page banner seems to be pointing back to the main site rather than the review.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »

Cov!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2012, 09:21:28 PM »

I was doing well at resisting this game, but now that I can get it for $35 from Greenman Gaming (25% off + $10 voucher for preordering XCOM), my resistance has failed.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 03:20:48 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 08, 2012, 03:58:15 PM

My review is up!   

Good detailed review. One very, very minor thing tho. In the section where you list the actors who did the voices, did you man Carrie Ann Moss instead of Carrie Fisher?  icon_wink
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 04:04:08 AM »

I was doing good as well, until I read these good reviews...Internet bad.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 04:39:08 AM »

well, blew the 'no kill' run when I accidentally bumped the wrong key during the beginning, so I guess fate has decreed that there shall be blood biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 05:59:45 AM »

Im a little less than 2 hours in the game and I am very impressed.  Everything about the game is highly appealing and is bringing back fond memories of Thief of all things.  Since loot is hidden everywhere in the levels Im having a blast exploring every nook and cranny. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2012, 06:02:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 09, 2012, 04:39:08 AM

well, blew the 'no kill' run when I accidentally bumped the wrong key during the beginning, so I guess fate has decreed that there shall be blood biggrin

Yea, I blew my no-kill on accident.  Set a civilian that I had choked out onto some wood and it gave way, plummeting him to his death.  Oops...had to re-do that level. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 09, 2012, 05:59:45 AM

Im a little less than 2 hours in the game and I am very impressed.  Everything about the game is highly appealing and is bringing back fond memories of Thief of all things.  Since loot is hidden everywhere in the levels Im having a blast exploring every nook and cranny. 

You have my attention.

I'd been avoiding this due to the Deus Ex comparisons, because that series just never really clicked with me.  Thief, however, is one of my all-time favorites.  If this game even partially channels it, I'm all in.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »

It’s really a blend of a lot of things.  As I was playing last night the thing I kept coming back to is that it felt like a game that Looking Glass Studios would have made.  That’s a really good thing in my opinion. 

The thief comparison comes in part due to the loot/stealing system in combination with the stealth and also how the levels are laid out.  I enjoyed Deus Ex greatly but I never felt like the levels in it were more than game obstacles.  Thief on the other hand created a world I could believe was real.  Dishonored has the same highly lived in world with realistic feeling architecture that offers up tons of secrets.

Also, if someone were to tell me that the world of Dishonored took place in the same universe but 100 years or so after the events of Thief II I could believe it without too much trouble.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »

Resistance... Fading...

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 08, 2012, 08:48:39 PM

Cov!

ATB!!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »

Sigh, the backlog will never shrink. Installing on Steam now.... (hurry!)

-John

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 08:39:41 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 09, 2012, 04:18:38 PM

Its really a blend of a lot of things.  As I was playing last night the thing I kept coming back to is that it felt like a game that Looking Glass Studios would have made.  Thats a really good thing in my opinion. 

The thief comparison comes in part due to the loot/stealing system in combination with the stealth and also how the levels are laid out.  I enjoyed Deus Ex greatly but I never felt like the levels in it were more than game obstacles.  Thief on the other hand created a world I could believe was real.  Dishonored has the same highly lived in world with realistic feeling architecture that offers up tons of secrets.

Also, if someone were to tell me that the world of Dishonored took place in the same universe but 100 years or so after the events of Thief II I could believe it without too much trouble.

That pretty much seals the deal for me.  I absolutely adored the Thief games (mainly because of the setting), but could never get into Deus Ex (mainly because of the setting).  Can't resist this one.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »

dibs on your copy if you hate it gratch! slywink
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »

Shit, y'all know me too well around here.  smile

Downloading right now.  I will hold Lordnine personally responsible if I don't like it.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2012, 12:04:36 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 09, 2012, 10:33:36 PM

Downloading right now.  I will hold Lordnine personally responsible if I don't like it.
I was actually kidding.  It has more in common with Invisible War than Thief.  Also, who thought giant robotic frogs were a good enemy choice?  When you hit them with your Katana they explode and cause damage. Its awful.  icon_razz
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2012, 12:05:51 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 10, 2012, 12:04:36 AM

I was actually kidding.  It has more in common with Invisible War than Thief.  Also, who thought giant robotic frogs were a good enemy choice?  When you hit them with your Katana they explode and cause damage. Its awful.  icon_razz

it's not that bad until the digitized version of John Romero pops up on screen and says 'welcome bitch'.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2012, 12:47:21 AM »

I am early on, and I love this. I wouldn't call it a Thief clone, and it doesn't do stealth QUITE as perfectly, but this is definitely the closest thing to playing Thief that I have played since... well Thief. I am going the stealth route 100% if I can, and trying not to kill anyone (so far so good). The cool thing is there are a lot of other (more violent) powers that look incredibly fun too, so I see the replay potential as being greater than normal.

Thumbs way way up from this Thief fan (again very early on - I have completed one "mission").

-John

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 10, 2012, 12:05:51 AM

Quote from: Lordnine on October 10, 2012, 12:04:36 AM

it's not that bad until the digitized version of John Romero pops up on screen and says 'welcome bitch'.

hey, can you hide the secrets in spoiler tags please?  some of us haven't progressed far enough yet.  thx

really though, I love the idea of a unified ammo here.  not having to deal with all the different types of ammo just makes it so much easier to run and gun, you know?  oh.  loving that music btw.  so awesome to have linkin park write the soundtrack.   thumbsup

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2012, 04:14:16 AM »

Anyone who is concerned about length should rest easy if you like to explore.  I spent about an hour just casing a single house that was part of a side quest. 

While sneaking around Im almost positive I heard a guard call someone a taffer.  icon_smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 04:28:21 AM »

Spent a couple hours with Dishonored and I like it, but don't love it.  I read in a review that the stealth felt "squishy", and that's probably the best description.  Having no real indicators of whether or not you're actually hidden can make for some frustrating quickloads when a guard inexplicably spots you crouching behind that barrier from 50 yards away (while the one three feet from you is completely oblivious).  This happened on a couple different occasions tonight, and was rather annoying.  I was trying to go the all-stealth route, but accidentally shot a guard in the opening area.  Oh well.  I'm going to try to be stealthy for the most part, but won't getting my hands dirty if needs be.

I'm also not crazy about the game engine.  Has that same rather bland Bethesda look, like I'm playing a Thief mod for Skyrim.  That's just personal preference though (I felt the same way about Fallout...it's simply an apocalyptic mod for Oblivion)...I've never been a big fan of that particular style.

Still, it's about as Thief-y as we can expect and is pretty entertaining.  Just hoping it clicks a bit more once I get a better handle on the stealth mechanics.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 04:34:04 AM »

Thanks assholes! :icon_lol:I grabbed this. Only played for about an hr so far, pretty slick!
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 04:37:08 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 10, 2012, 04:28:21 AM

Spent a couple hours with Dishonored and I like it, but don't love it.  I read in a review that the stealth felt "squishy", and that's probably the best description.  Having no real indicators of whether or not you're actually hidden can make for some frustrating quickloads when a guard inexplicably spots you crouching behind that barrier from 50 yards away (while the one three feet from you is completely oblivious). 
You can actually unlock a spell that will show you sight range of guards when you use it.  I agree though that a true indicator would have been a great addition to the game.  That and the missing option to equip two offhand items instead of one + sword are about my only complaints with the game though.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 04:44:09 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 10, 2012, 04:37:08 AM

Spent a couple hours with Dishonored and I like it, but don't love it.  I read in a review that the stealth felt "squishy", and that's probably the best description.  Having no real indicators of whether or not you're actually hidden can make for some frustrating quickloads when a guard inexplicably spots you crouching behind that barrier from 50 yards away (while the one three feet from you is completely oblivious). 
You can actually unlock a spell that will show you sight range of guards when you use it.  I agree though that a true indicator would have been a great addition to the game.  That and the missing option to equip two offhand items instead of one + sword are about my only complaints with the game though.

Yeah, I got that one.  Just annoying that it has to be activated separately (and uses mana)...seems like it would have made sense to have some sort of built-in indicator.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2012, 05:02:31 AM »

Realize that the guys cut the powers in HALF to complete development on time.   I suspect they might have wanted some of the same things as you....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2012, 07:42:51 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 10, 2012, 05:02:31 AM

Realize that the guys cut the powers in HALF to complete development on time.   I suspect they might have wanted some of the same things as you....

Wow. Interesting to know. After another hr or so. Still digging it. In fact I believe there is a paused game ready for me with a beer next to it;).

Very thief like on some front and very different on others. Also reminds me of the undying vibe.

Also only the gfx. Decent at times, really nice at others. Great art design makes up for it though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:44:24 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »

I'm also not crazy about the game engine.  Has that same rather bland Bethesda look, like I'm playing a Thief mod for Skyrim.  That's just personal preference though (I felt the same way about Fallout...it's simply an apocalyptic mod for Oblivion)...I've never been a big fan of that particular style.

Not sure how you can say that considering the art style in Dishonored is very cool and it doesn't use Bethesda's engine.  It's way more colorful than Skyrim and Fallout.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 10, 2012, 02:58:55 PM

Not sure how you can say that considering the art style in Dishonored is very cool and it doesn't use Bethesda's engine.  It's way more colorful than Skyrim and Fallout.

Huh, I would have sworn it was the same engine.  Looks pretty much the same to me, just with a few brighter colors mixed in.

Guess I just don't really care for the art style then.  :shrug:

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »

Nah, that's how I knew it was safe to buy it on PS3.  It uses Unreal Engine 3, which isn't known for its blazing colors either, I suppose.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 10, 2012, 03:27:44 PM

Nah, that's how I knew it was safe to buy it on PS3.  It uses Unreal Engine 3, which isn't known for its blazing colors either, I suppose.

Same here. No more Bethesda engine games for me in my ps3 EVER again. Skyrim was a waste in time, money and  patience. Ran like ass, buggy as hell and I really never got much out of it due to that.... It's amazing how someone else ported oblivion to ps3 and was good, but Bethesda can't code very well for the ps3...

Back on topic. I can't wait to get back to this game!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »

For those focusing on stealth, what skills are you buying/upgrading?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2012, 05:51:43 PM »

I'd like to add I'm still getting the City 17 vibe.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2012, 05:55:49 PM »

For stealth I bought....
Spoiler for Hiden:
Crossbow upgrades and vision upgrades - all of em.  I also bought the boot upgrades that make me quieter.   I maxed vision, stop time, and blink.  Beyond that it didn't matter for stealth.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: