http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 11:05:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disciples 3: Resurrection impressions  (Read 2139 times)
skystride
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »

I think I am the only person who bought this game.  Here are some brief impressions after about 2 hours of play.

- the 2D Artwork in the game looks good
- the music is very nice
- voice overs are terrible
- combat animations are quiet nice looking for certain units but it could get tiresome in the long run
- I'm finding the story confusing; maybe you had to play the previous version
- You start off as the undead (I didn't see any other option)
- I'm halfway through the first map and combat has been easy with not much strategy involved
- ground textures have glitched out twice forcing me to restart the game
- not much in the way of interactive tutorial, just some tutorial videos (from the previous game)
- the map seems overly cluttered and it's hard to find enemy units/locations even though  they are highlighted on the minimap
- there's not a lot of strategy in combat (neither was Disciples 2 for that matter) but they added stuff like points on the combat area that boost your skills (melee bonus or magic bonus).  You have to decide whether to move your magic user to one of these spots at the risk of making him vulnerable to attacks.  Some units can also guard weaker units
- heroes can be leveled up in what almost looks like a sphere grid level up system from Final Fantasy.  The branching wasn't super interesting though (choices like +5MR or +5DR) but I didn't examine the grid in detail yet

So far I'm enjoying it.  I didn't play the previous game but I know it was very poorly received.  If the new HOMM is much better though, I might dump this.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:27:21 PM »

I'm very interested in thoughts on both this and the new HOMM (now why are they of course released the same freakin' week???). Loved 1/2, got scared off from 3 by the reviews.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:39:14 AM »

World map

Combat

Skill tree

The Undead city

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 02:26:46 AM »

I heard the previous game had lots of technical issues.  You'd think by the expansion they would have sorted out the problems but it doesn't look like it.  I've had to restart 4 times due to textures crapping out.  Also when starting the game, sometimes it hangs for a long time and eventually loads. 
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »

Those screen shots look great though. Not worth much if the game won't run. icon_frown
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »

A fan put together a Disciples 3 resurrection translation pack that is supposedly better than the released version. I own the first game, but still haven't gotten around to playing it. The demo looked absolutely gorgeous.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 12:08:50 AM »

Yeah, I stayed far away from this after having purchased D3: Renaissance.  It had beautiful unit designs, that oil painting type effect for the graphics engine that was nice...but terribly slooooooow gameplay.  Missions took forever to play through, and were comprised of killing the same units dozens of times over and over again.  Also had the campaign missions...and then one skirmish map at release, and then wasn't supported AT ALL after that.  As much as I LOVED d2, I kinda figured that I'm done with the series as D3:Ren was sooooo bad.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 01:50:44 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on October 16, 2011, 12:08:50 AM

Yeah, I stayed far away from this after having purchased D3: Renaissance.  It had beautiful unit designs, that oil painting type effect for the graphics engine that was nice...but terribly slooooooow gameplay.  Missions took forever to play through, and were comprised of killing the same units dozens of times over and over again.  Also had the campaign missions...and then one skirmish map at release, and then wasn't supported AT ALL after that.  As much as I LOVED d2, I kinda figured that I'm done with the series as D3:Ren was sooooo bad.

It's funny you should mention a painting because as beautiful as the graphics were the gameplay in D3: Renaissance was like watching paint dry, dull and monotonous. I love Disciples 2 also, that and how good the screenshots looked conned me into buying it last year.
I know one person who has bought Resurrection and he said it was pretty much more of the same, but this time you play the undead campaign(only)and then one skirmish map.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: