http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 09:13:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disappointing Star Ocean 3 review  (Read 1828 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:23:25 PM »

I got my EGM yesterday and they had a review of Star Ocean 3 and they were not too happy with it.

I don't have it with me at work but it boiled down to complaints about the combat system.  They felt it was overly complicated, not intiutive, and got dull.  The combat system is what most other reviewers/previews have said is the high point in the game so I am concerned thaty they seemed to hate it.

Now I think the game has moved to a wait for more player reviews before buying rather than a rush out on release day purchase.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:52:27 PM »

I fear that the new combat system for FFXI might fall into the same boat....say it isn't so!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 04:51:50 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I fear that the new combat system for FFXI might fall into the same boat....say it isn't so!

You mean FFXII? Or FFVII Part 2 (or whatever they're gonna call it)? FFXI was the MMORPG for the PS2 and PC. smile

Personally, I thought Tales of Symphonia's combat system was perfect. It was simple, and it was complex if you moved deeper within. And it was extremely fast paced, as I said in my review.

Too bad about Star Ocean. I was looking forward to it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 04:57:07 PM »

What were the final scroes for the game? SO3's early reviews have been all over the map, as far as I can see. One site says that the story is stupid but the combat system is great, while another review says exactly the opposite. The previews I've seen make it look pretty appealing, so I'll probably pick it up.

Tim's commments on Tales of Symphonia's combat system are spot on, though. I'm about 35 hours in and its the only RPG I've ever played where I've spent hours doing nothing but leveling up because I'm trying combat with different character combinations and spells. Very addicting.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 05:10:57 PM »

Woops!  Yea, that would be FFXII.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 05:31:40 PM »

There does seem to be a trend towards overly complicated combat systems.  I hope that FF12 (I am not a Roman and do not use their numbers - long live the USA!)  will be better than most though.

Of course we have a year to wait at best guess so who knows.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 05:42:38 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
What were the final scroes for the game? SO3's early reviews have been all over the map, as far as I can see. One site says that the story is stupid but the combat system is great, while another review says exactly the opposite. The previews I've seen make it look pretty appealing, so I'll probably pick it up.

Tim's commments on Tales of Symphonia's combat system are spot on, though. I'm about 35 hours in and its the only RPG I've ever played where I've spent hours doing nothing but leveling up because I'm trying combat with different character combinations and spells. Very addicting.

I have two annoyances with the ToS combat system.  First of all, if you are playing with another person, despite options settings, the camera frequently only focuses in on the person whose controller is in the 1 spot, leaving the other person fighting blindly.  The only way around this is for both people to target the same enemy, which is frequently not desirable.  

Secondly, there are enough command combinations on the gamecube controller that they could have done away with the linearity of movement.  It's not uncommon for your character (again, if two people are playing) to be at the top of the screen.  As you move around, the direction-button required to push to move towards the enemy changes, and sometimes flip-flops quickly, causing you to unintentionally move towards or away from the enemy.  I really think, considering everything else that they accomplished, that they could have allowed for easy movement in all directions.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 06:32:27 PM »

The other p/reviews have been inconsistent when it comes to music and story, but every other p/review I've read has said that the battle system is excellent, with some calling it the best they've ever seen.  From what I've read, the game does have faults, but I don't think the combat system is going to be one of them.  The IGN review gives a good overview of the battle system.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 06:31:16 PM »

I assume were talking about Star Ocean: Till the End of Time right?  If so I saw the review in GameInformer and they said that the game is really good and their only gripe was that it didn't have the epic storytelling commonly found in other RPGs.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 03:26:11 PM »

Of course then I saw this review on RPGFan where they say

The combat in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time can be described as nothing less than heavenly. It is fast, furious, and ultimately fun throughout the entirety of the game.

and

The battle system in Star Ocean is truly the highlight of the experience.

So who knows?  I guess I will wait for those of you with more guts to try it and get some more opinions.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 06:36:51 AM »

Gamespy has also posted their review.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 12:09:06 PM »

Considering the wide variety of tastes in console RPGs and their reviewers, the only way I'm going to know for sure is to try it myself.  But with so many other games sitting on the shelf, I'll wait until it's either on sale or the price has dropped.  For me there's really no such thing as a must-buy-first-day-RPG any more...until Dragon Warrior VIII, anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: