http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:05:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DiRT 2 discussions right in here!  (Read 2111 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »

Interview with the design manager on Boomtown. I like this quote:

A lot of people, though fans of the first DiRT, had reservations about how the cars handled – specifically how gripped to the road they felt. Has this been changed or altered in DiRT 2?

We've really gone totally back to basics with that and rebuilt our physics system so it's much more, dare I say it, a simulation, although that's generally a bad word around our studio, but it's much more realistic. In particular, what we've done is work on the weight of the cars; the way weight transfers around them, that's simulated much more realistically. The tire physics; the tire modeling, that's all been completely rewritten. So tires actually have tire pressure and that affects the way that they move and the car handles. A tire can completely deflate, and all of that means that the cars have a weightier feel and are much more predictable as a result. So, symptoms you're reporting about DiRT are things we've heard a lot about from people, and I think they're fairly accurate, and we knew that was one thing we had to go back to basics on and fix for DiRT 2, and we've done that, and you can be the judge.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »

Those comments make this a much more likely purchase for me. I felt DiRT was a wee bit too much on the arcade side and the handling and traction just seemed off. Much of that was probably influenced by the fact that I was playing CM Rally 2005 at about the same time and the difference between the 2 was significant. I have a lot of respect for Codemasters as a racing game dev and once again they appear to have listened to there fans. slywink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:21:12 AM »

I can't wait for this game!   drool

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 03:27:31 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 12, 2009, 04:46:31 PM

Those comments make this a much more likely purchase for me. I felt DiRT was a wee bit too much on the arcade side and the handling and traction just seemed off. Much of that was probably influenced by the fact that I was playing CM Rally 2005 at about the same time and the difference between the 2 was significant. I have a lot of respect for Codemasters as a racing game dev and once again they appear to have listened to there fans. slywink

Agreed - though even with the strange physics Dirt was still a lot of damn fun.  I'm probably looking forward to Dirt 2 more than Forza 3 at this point.

gellar
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:31:15 AM »

Dirt has been the only game, aside from Zen Pinball, where I've chased high scores on the leaderboard. I had a few top 100 scores for a while.

I look forward to doing that in Dirt 2. More than any other game, really. Dirt was my surprise GOTY when it came out.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »

2005? C'mon, the series jumped the shark after 2002  icon_biggrin
Can't wait for Dirt 2!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 13, 2009, 03:27:31 AM

Agreed - though even with the strange physics Dirt was still a lot of damn fun.  I'm probably looking forward to Dirt 2 more than Forza 3 at this point.

Exactly the same here. Between the upcoming 'big 3', Forza3, NFS Shift, and Dirt 2, the only one I'm really wanting is Dirt 2. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 17, 2009, 11:14:30 AM

2005? C'mon, the series jumped the shark after 2002  icon_biggrin
Can't wait for Dirt 2!

That may be true for some, but CMR 2005 IMO is the best entry in the series, best rally game from Codemastes and definitely the best rally racer in my collection. And I've got many a title going back to the late 90's. It's not that I'm opposed to the game leaning to the simlite or arcade side of things -loved Rally Championship 2- but I'd prefer if they allowed for physics like CMR 2005 and provided a sliding difficulty scale similar to Forza 2. I'll agree with other here that I'm looking more forward to this than Forza 3.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »

Supposedly there will be DiRT 2 demos up on XBL and PSN today. Link from story posted last night via Blues News.

Play DiRT 2 tomorrow on PSN/XBL

Codemasters has told Eurogamer there will be a DiRT 2 demo on PSN and Xbox Live tomorrow.

The big draw will be a sample of the eight-player online mayhem, although a single-player snippet awaits, as well.

Snatch a peek of the game designer's best lap to see what the demo offers.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 02:12:31 PM »

And the demo for XBL is up via Major Nelson.

Play the DiRT 2 demo now! Experience the stunning Mitsubishi Eclipse GT in the all-new Trailblazer event set against the most dramatic and challenging terrain Morocco has to offer, then jump behind the wheel of the rugged Porter Trophy Truck and take on the jumps and drops of Mexico’s atmospheric Ensenada Port circuit in the multi-class Landrush. Customize your ride and test yourself against racing icons like Ken Block and Dave Mirra offline or take on the world in 8 player head-to-head online races in the unmissable demo of DiRT 2 – the new standard of off-road racing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:14:02 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »

I love the game menus, fantastic art.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 11:33:15 PM »

Played the demo about two hours. There are two races. One is a dirt track stadium race with big trucks in Baja. The other in Morroco is a rally type race. Both are playable in SP and MP mode.

Baja in SP is standard fare, similar to the ones in the first game. The truck physics "feel" better, they are less floaty and seem to handle better. The track is partially enclosed in walls, but other places there are just tires and open space.

The Morocco stage is also familiar to anyone who has played a rally game. The track is reasonably wide and there are no invisible walls lining the course, although they are present well out from the course just to keep you from wandering off. It looks gorgeous, as you might expect. Interestingly, some of the piles of rock at the edge of the course, if you hit them, will cause pieces of rock to land on the course. The SP physics feel good, the car responds well to throttle steering and again it seems that they have the apparent mass right.

I played in SP on both tracks for a while and it was fun.

MP turns out also to be a lot of fun as well. I only tried out the 1-man method of joining races; there's also apparently a way to join as or form a team of four drivers. You stay in the lobby about 30 seconds between races. The rally race runs all cars at once; the other cars show up as ghosts on your course. It's not a distraction and you can see how everyone else is doing.

In the Baja arena MP race there are eight players going at it. From a standing start eight abreast you funnel down to the first turn and almost every time there were wrecks galore. Too many idiots <sigh>. Racing these big trucks against others isn't too bad, but even a tap can shove someone out of the way and so there are a lot of hurt feelings.

I really hadn't expected to have such a good time with the MP, but I reluctantly had to stop playing because it was dinner time. I'm very impressed with how short a time it is between races and how well the whole process seems to work.

The new menuing system reminds me of TOCA2. There's a trailer with posters and maps and stickies that allow you to get info on the current standings, stats and help you select a race. It's oodles of eye candy and a lot more fun that the menu system in the first Dirt.

Dirt 2 was already on my pre-order list, but the demo assures me I didn't pre-order in error.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 01:25:28 AM »

just played the demo for a bit and i'm definitely in on day one.  i really like the heavier feeling of the vehicles this time around, the menu system is amazingly creative and efficient, and the graphics are incredible (as expected)...seems like everything i loved about the original DiRT has been taken to the next level.  my only complaint about the demo is that i wish they had included something other than just dirt-track events...would like to see how the road races handle now, but i have enough faith that it won't keep me from picking this game up immediately.  as others have said, i'm also more excited about this game than the other big racers coming out in the near future.  they're all great in their own way, but the level of intensity and fun in DiRT is hard to match.  i had an absolute blast playing through the DiRT and don't expect anything less for DiRT 2 icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:20 PM »

Got my call from Gamestop, my copy of Dirt2 will be in the store tomorrow "afternoon". Now, does that mean "after noon", like 12:01pm? Because I was going to cut out early from work and try to beat the Beatles Rock Band rush. Anyone else have it pre-ordered at GS and got the call?

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:53:22 AM »

I didn't actually preorder this one, so not sure if it will be in tomorrow for me or not.  I was really turned off by the presentation in the demo so that really tempered my excitement. 

I'm just not a fan of the American-consumer-bastardization of what was once a core rally game.  The whole X-Games/Nitro Circus thing just doesn't belong here.  I don't care that you have 40 featured bands when I'm not going to listen to them while driving anyway.  I don't want to hear Ken Block and Travis Pasatranna give stupid sound clip voice overs that end up repeating all the time.  I don't want menus that look like they were designed after looking at a ski jacket from the early 90's.  I don't want to have to walk around and have another scene load just to get to the damn options screen. 

Having said that, I'm sure I will end up buying it anyway because I'm a sucker for off-road and rally games.  I'm sure the actual driving will be plenty fun and it sounds like there are over 100 events to compete in as well as the new online stuff.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:03 AM »

I'm just not a fan of the American-consumer-bastardization of what was once a core rally game.

YES!

Leads me to OUT!

I'll grab it at some point, but I thought it was really close to Motorstorm from the demo, and I don't need another Motorstorm. icon_frown

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 03:01:42 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 09, 2009, 12:53:22 AM

I didn't actually preorder this one, so not sure if it will be in tomorrow for me or not.  I was really turned off by the presentation in the demo so that really tempered my excitement. 

I'm just not a fan of the American-consumer-bastardization of what was once a core rally game.  The whole X-Games/Nitro Circus thing just doesn't belong here.  I don't care that you have 40 featured bands when I'm not going to listen to them while driving anyway.  I don't want to hear Ken Block and Travis Pasatranna give stupid sound clip voice overs that end up repeating all the time.  I don't want menus that look like they were designed after looking at a ski jacket from the early 90's.  I don't want to have to walk around and have another scene load just to get to the damn options screen. 

Having said that, I'm sure I will end up buying it anyway because I'm a sucker for off-road and rally games.  I'm sure the actual driving will be plenty fun and it sounds like there are over 100 events to compete in as well as the new online stuff.

I feel that way at times, especially since I have a lot of PC rally games, like the Colin McRae,  Richard Burns and the Mobil One Championship (if that's the correct name). However, I do like the different styles of races in Dirt and Dirt 2 just for the variety. I lost interest in Dirt because the handling was so "floaty' and the whole pyramid thing got kind of boring after a while. I was very pleased with the handling in the Dirt 2 demo. At least it will tied me over for my racing jones till Forza 3 is released.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 03:03:36 AM »

I really want to buy this one but it's just bad timing... NHL is due out next week and I have an insane travel schedule for the next few months so my gaming time is going to be extremely light.  I figure I'll get a used copy around Christmas.

gellar
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »

Picked it up on the way home from work yesterday.  Managed to "Level Up" to 11th level in just a couple of hours.

I played the demo for the original Dirt but didn't like the physics and handling of the vehicles.  The demo for Dirt 2 convinced me to give this one a try.

The menu system (going in and out of the trailer) along with the voice overs gets pretty damned annoying after a while but the racing more than makes up for it. 

The rewind feature has helped out a few times (Like the time I took a jump slightly out of line and hit a pole about 20 feet up in the air) but you have to be pretty quick on the rewind button sometimes which means you'll either miss some spectacular crashes or you'll witness the spectacular crashes but then won't be able to rewind far enough to be able to avoid it on the replay.

Love the googly-eyed skull on the dash and the XBL avatar hanging from the rear view mirror.  smile

Customizing the settings of each car is pretty basic so don't expect any real detailed stuff like camber, toe-in/out, tire pressure setting, gear ratio, etc.   What is there are slide settings that, while basic, still can make a difference for each race.

There doesn't appear to be a split screen 2 player option but the game does support system link which will make it a hit at our next XBox/LAN party. 

Overall I am satisfied with the game. 

8 out of 10

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »

Just started it and went through the first race. I do like the new intro and menuing system. Much more personal than DiRT's pyramid scheme slywink.

OK, so it's not true rallying. But boy, the car did feel solid. And speaking as someone who almost always turns off the music in games, the background PA music and announcer at the fairgrounds (where you park your trailer) isn't too bad.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 06:40:09 PM »

Tell me how much you like the music and announcer and slow menus after you've done a few dozen races.  Tongue

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 09, 2009, 06:40:09 PM

Tell me how much you like the music and announcer and slow menus after you've done a few dozen races.  Tongue

Yeah, I've already turned off the music, it's not really my favorite genre. Slow menus... that's not a game breaker for me, I tend to play in small chunks of time anyway.

I did some more races, still am very pleased with the handling.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »

Battersea is very cool  icon_biggrin. Yeah, the majority of the racing isn't true rally, and there are some stunt-type races, like Gate Crashers, but overall it's a lot of fun and an incredible amount of eye candy.

I've up to level eight and have done about fifteen races. The menu system isn't too bad, but I do wish I had the option to just jump back to the world map after a race instead of going outside and seeing the sights first. That's about ten seconds each time, but it builds up.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 03:38:52 AM »

I'm loving the soundtrack and I glad to see Black Stone Cherry in there they are awesome live.

I played the single player a bit with a wheel and it feels great.  I tried a couple of multiplayer online and didn't have any slowdown I lost
easily but still had a blast.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 04:10:13 AM »

I've got in about six hours on the game, which according to my stats includes two actual hours of racing. I'm up to level 18 and still loving it. The SP experience is solid. I am now starting to go back to the same world locations in the later events, but in a different racing format so it's still entertaining. Car handling across all the vehicles is so much better than Dirt. I was starting to already burn out on Dirt at this point because of it. The menuing system hasn't bothered me as it has others, but then I like to relax for a little bit between races and there are more things to look at and tinker with in the trailer and outside than the first Dirt's rather bland pyramid.

I've also done MP in Jam Session and Pro Tour. Jam is basically someone sets up a lobby, sets the conditions and wait for people to come (or invites Friends). Pro is a more structured format where you join an existing session and when they finish their current race you join up in the next one. It's very much like XBL MP in Call of Duty (I didn't try MP in the first Dirt). You can pick one of three catagories, Time Bomb, aka Rally/Trailblazer (no contact), Skirmish aka Raid/Landrush (normal racing contact), and Ruckus which is the weirder formats. Or you can select to join any of the three types at random. Then off you go. When the series of races finish, you go back to the lobby but stay in the group and can veto the next track if you wish.

I was very pleased to win a number of my MP races. I'm not a particularly fast racer, but patience and driving technique are rewarded due to the tight confines, the many roadside obstacles and the more realistic feeling handling.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:30:25 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 04:43:20 AM »

A couple of other thoughts... the Flashback/Rewind system, first introduced in Grid, is brilliant. Do something dumb? Immediately whack the right bumper. You'll be able to jump back in time a few seconds and have a second chance to avoid the error. You don't have to use it, but it's a great help to those (like me) who make the occasional error but don't have the time or patience to go re-run the race. You can opt for more Rewinds uses in a race, but that decreases the XP & Cash obtained. I think that there is no other difficulty adjustment, like adjusting the AI. The only driver assist is an optional automatic transmission.

The other thing I like is that you will eventually unlock all the cars and events by collecting cash and XP points, which you get by doing well in races. By lowering the challenge level you get more Flashback uses, which should help you progress, abet at a slower pace than someone with more mad car skills. You don't have to win races at a higher challenge level to be able to unlock things. This is what killed Fuel for me; I liked it very much at first, but I reached a point in thate game where I could not unlock further content unless I could win races at a high difficulty level. That just sucked.

I won't assign a quantitative score to Dirt 2, rather say that so far it's a lot of fun. I think that I might be able to unlock all the content in about another twelve or so hours of playing (having played about six today). After that we'll have to see. I don't know how many times I'd go back and run the same races in SP. MP has been fun as well, but I don't see me playing that for a long time either. Forza 2 had a lot more gameplay time potential and I figure that Forza 3 will greatly exceed that of Forza 2. Dirt 2 is rather fun, but I question it's long term appeal.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 08:33:40 PM »

Thanks for the continued impressions, guys!  Hopefully I can pick this up after work tonight or tomorrow and spend some time with it this weekend.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »

OK, any tips for dealing with the squirrely Subaru you get right off the bat? While I can have fun and be "fine" with most styles of racing, when it comes to drifting... I suck and spend most of my time wildly swinging back and forth on the track over-correcting like a mofo and trashing my ride. So, any sites or tips people can share on the subject? I have no clue what I should be doing to get around curves properly in that style of race.  icon_cry

Thanks.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »

Tap the emergency brake going into the corner (A button), floor it and counter steer your way through the turn making very slight corrections as needed.

It takes a while to get the hang of it and I still have a tendancy to carry way too much speed with me into the hairpins so I still sometimes end up slamming sideways into the barricades.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 01:15:03 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on September 13, 2009, 12:40:49 PM

Tap the emergency brake going into the corner (A button), floor it and counter steer your way through the turn making very slight corrections as needed.

It takes a while to get the hang of it and I still have a tendancy to carry way too much speed with me into the hairpins so I still sometimes end up slamming sideways into the barricades.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 13, 2009, 01:15:03 PM

Quote from: TK-421 on September 13, 2009, 12:40:49 PM

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

These kind of games are frustrating at first for me, then they magically click.  More than any other game, really.  I've played enough of them now that the click time is shorter, but I remember that first Microsoft rally game (Rallisport Challenge? IIRC) was infuriating for several days, then, boom, it became one of my favorites.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 07:59:52 PM »

Damn, I'm playing online and now I have a red reputation (as opposed to yellow which is neutral and green which is good). But I'm trying to be careful! I'm trying to not hit anyone. But I'm slower than most folks, so guys behind me ram me into others. Sheesh.

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »

Add me as a friend (OO Brian) and we can race together.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on September 15, 2009, 08:10:09 PM

Add me as a friend (OO Brian) and we can race together.
Done, but I'm offline for now. I'll see you out there sometime.

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »

Here's a hilarious video from the Dirt2 launch event:

YouTube link
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 07:17:35 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on September 16, 2009, 07:10:32 PM

YouTube link

Looks like more fun that the game!  slywink

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 07:57:20 PM »

YouTube link

I would be the "Jesus, help me" guy.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »

"I wanna go home!"   LOL  icon_lol

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 11:43:34 PM »

YouTube link

that is awesome...would love to experience that sometime.  i probably would look a lot like this guy though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 05:10:31 AM »

That guy's face is priceless!

"PFFFFFFT...PFFFFFFFTTT"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: