http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 10:15:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Devil Saga 1 - I need some opinions on it....  (Read 884 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2005, 02:42:33 PM »

Hey all,

I've seen the DDS deluxe box at several places, but the annoying case that it is in usually obscures most of the information on it.  Plus, there isn't much in the was of good screens on the back.  So, what kind of RPG is this?  How is the graphic style?  How does the gameplay hold up?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 03:06:28 PM »

There are some pretty extensive comments on the game in a few previous threads.

I haven't played more than a few hours so I'll let guys who've put more time handle the other questions (depward and EddieA maybe) but graphically it looks great.  As a very distinct, psuedo-cell shaded design, thats not cartoonish at all.  It really brings out the art style well.  Look at the character design on the box to get a feel for the what the game looks like.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 07:21:56 PM »

I'm only a few hours in but I really like it so far.  The story and game world are pretty damn interesting, even moreso than Nocturne.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »

Just to recycle some thoughts after beating the game:

It's a great game.  But you need to go into it not looking for a typical role-playing game experience.  It's different.  It requires more of a thought process than the usual RPG game.  It really centers around a "weakness rules all" kind of idea, where you need to figure out (not too hard) and use certain elemental actions (spells, attacks, and so forth) to different characters.  The same applies to your own characters.

But luckily the game engine offers a good deal of customization.  If your fire character, Serph, keeps on getting hit with a water property spell, you can take some time, master some mantras, and gain an ability so that you aren't any longer weak to water.  The mantra grid itself (like a FFX style of learning different abilities) is a pretty well done idea.

So it's not a typical RPG experience.  But that being said, if you're looking into a combat heavy (yes, this "part" is pretty combat focused . . . but apparently the second "part" (released in August) is story heavy, which is great) dungeon-crawling experience, DDS is it.

It does have an excellent story along with it.  Some of the story sequences I wanted to have set up a different save game so I could load it back up and watch it again.  The graphical style is the best.  It goes hand-in-hand with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, with a very unique looking cel-shaded style.  The art direction and graphics really made it an enjoyable experience.

I can't wait until the second part is released.  The story has great potential, I love the graphical style, and the gameplay was good (personal opinion, of course).  Some might get tired of all the random battles (there are a lot . . . and towards the end of the game it gets quite hard) but I was pretty used to it from Nocturne.  I beat it in . . . I think 26 hours or so . . . but then again, I kinda rushed my way through it.  I plan on doing a new game plus and battling this "hardest optional boss in RPG history" boss that everyone has coined it.  So it's a great game, I really enjoyed it, and I'm really looking forward to the second installment.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
stolazi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:57:18 PM »

For those who have played Nocturne and DDS, would you recommend playing one before the other?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 09:37:55 PM »

Quote from: "stolazi"
For those who have played Nocturne and DDS, would you recommend playing one before the other?
Not really, no.  Their stories are totally unrelated.

Nocturne is harder to find than DDS at this point, however, so if you have the option to pick up both and are equally interested in both, you might want to grab Nocturne first as it's fast becoming rare.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 10:20:54 PM »

I'd recommend playing DDS first.  It uses a very similar battle system, but overall, the gameplay is simpler and easier.  I'd still buy Nocturne now, before its gets any rarer, but it would probably be easier to play after going through DDS.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: