http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:39:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Didn't preorder the Xbox 360? Have fun camping out!  (Read 4053 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2005, 08:36:35 PM »

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/07/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

Want an Xbox 360? Good luck.
Microsoft may be shipping fewer next generation video game machines than expected, say analysts.

Cooper's prediction is more dire, saying there will only be between 300,000 and 350,000 units available in the U.S. on Nov. 22, when the system launches. (Cooper, in a note, said he expects two shipments from Microsoft (Research) this year – one before launch and another in December.)

"Concerns about shortages, parts problems and other associated inventory qualms are typical of any console hardware transition," wrote McNealy.

Microsoft representatives were not immediately available for comment.

Looks like the PS2 all over again....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 09:07:45 PM »

EB Games has it listed as "sold out" or whatever their version of "no more pre-orders" is.  I pre-ordered ages ago, I'm first on the list after a couple of EB employees. Yay, me, I cannot wait - I know the trip is short...  but I'm going crazy! :lol:

Hey, Hetz, or Chaz, or Anyone Who Knows:  any info yet on what is going to happen at 12 AM on the 22nd?  Halo 2 had the "waiting list for the waiting list" gig going - I'm curious if anyone knows anything for sure about how EB is going to run this event!  :?:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 09:16:10 PM »

I'm actually considering not buyign it now, but if I do the only way I am getting one is through a friend at EB. I agree that these will be very hard to find.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 09:18:16 PM »

I can wait.  I'd love to have one on release day, but they'll make more smile
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 09:29:42 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I can wait.  I'd love to have one on release day, but they'll make more smile

Same for me.  I'm not in any hurry and most of the great games will be down the line I'm sure.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 10:03:52 PM »

Any idea if there is expected to be trouble finding games?  I have a 360 on reserve, but I didn't reserve any games due to the fact that up until this week we had no idea which games would be available on launch day...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 11:20:23 PM »

I've called EB, Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, and Best Buy. All of there Xbox's are pre-ordered. Camping out = tough luck you're not getting anything.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 11:23:11 PM »

this is the reason i wish i had a couple grand of $$ to preorder a couple and Ebay 'em.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 12:07:32 AM »

I can't wait at all.  If Oblivion really is a launch title (*fingers crossed*), I'm covered because I have that pre-ordered.  If it turns out it's delayed a little, I'll wait, and use a demo disc to test the system - which I'm guessing will be available soon with mags like OXM.

If Oblivion should be delayed longer, I'll get whatever I want next that is available - Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, or something else. If the 360 is not going to be available in the numbers they thought they would be, then I'd think there'd be enough games, although you may not get your first choice.

Of course, if Oblivion is available, I'll be on EB's doorstep as soon as I can - and then I can wait for the rest of you to pass on the deals on Kameo and PDZ, because I will get plenty of play out of Oblivion! Sometimes it helps to be lost all the time in games, and to break every barrel and kill every rat! Tongue
this is the reason i wish i had a couple grand of $$ to preorder a couple and Ebay 'em.
Xmann - that would be a done deal for making money, lol!

Sparhawk:
I've called EB, Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, and Best Buy. All of there Xbox's are pre-ordered. Camping out = tough luck you're not getting anything.
 Although, you never know... I remember getting my first XBox when "no one had any" - we searched all the Circuit City and Best Buy stores, plus every mall and department store.  I finally stopped at the last store, a Media Play... and they had a ton of them!  So don't give up hope, if you really want one.

Another idea, maybe not a great one, lol - the stores have time limits on when you must pick up your pre-order.  I suppose folks could find out what the time limits are - and camp out at each store as they expire.  :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 12:08:17 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"

Best Buy, CC, and Wal-Mart brick-and-mortars accept pre-orders? This is the first I've heard of it.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 12:08:19 AM »

Just go to Target or Wal-Mart on the first day. You'll usually find some there (since most people go to the aforementioned Best Buy, Circuit City, EB, etc).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 01:57:38 AM »

If true then I think this is a mistake on MS's part.  Their whole strategy is to get a huge headstart on the PS3 and (in their words) "be the first to 10 million".  Failing to ship enough consoles to meet demand over Christmas would be a huge stumbling block out of the gate.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 02:55:33 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
If true then I think this is a mistake on MS's part.  Their whole strategy is to get a huge headstart on the PS3 and (in their words) "be the first to 10 million".  Failing to ship enough consoles to meet demand over Christmas would be a huge stumbling block out of the gate.

So what I hear you saying is that MS is doing business as usual using the SNAFU method?  So does this now qualify as an example of BOHICA?

[Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!]

They tell me these fellas not only make money, but overall corporatewide they make more of it than anyone else.  Sort of gives you faith in our society, huh?  The same consumers that will pay through the nose to get treated like crap will be the people voting in the future elections.  Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Done posting
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 03:08:04 AM »

While I think it will be hard to find the 360, I doubt it will be as dire as some of those guys are suggesting.  People who pre-ordered should be fine; those who didn't knew the risk they were taking.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »

Makes me glad I preordered the day I got back from E3 this year.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 01:46:42 PM »

Hit a Wal-Mart at midnight.  Probably no problem, especially in smaller towns.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 01:51:30 PM »

makes me glad I am not buying one until a price drop.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 03:28:22 PM »

My wife and I are heading out in a few minutes to preorder one at EB.  They still have some left.  Not in the first shipment, but they said they will come in at the first of Dec., and I am getting it for Christmas, so It's perfect!

Wake up.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 04:23:06 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Just go to Target or Wal-Mart on the first day. You'll usually find some there (since most people go to the aforementioned Best Buy, Circuit City, EB, etc).
Yup.  Forget the electronic/boutique stores.  Just hit up, like, Toys 'R Us.  Or one of the forementioned stores.

I remember when the GBA-SP was released and my local stores were apparently sold out almost statewide.  I went to the local ratty Toys 'R Us, and low and behold, there were 30+ of them, covering every color too.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 05:04:59 PM »

For those interested, you can also pre-order (online only) at Ritz Camera:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

I had a pre-order in at EBGames, but I cancelled it. There was just too much stuff I didn't want in the bundle(s).

I was going to just wait, but you can actually pick which games & accessories you want at Ritz. The game list is not the longest, but it's not too shabby. I was able to order Oblivion and  Madden 2006, so I'm happy. I also got 2 other games (they "recommend" that you order at least 4 games, but it's not mandatory)  and a charge & play kit, and still saved $113.56 off what I would've payed at EBGames. And didn't have to get anything I didn't want.   biggrin WooHoo!

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 05:24:10 PM »

I went ahead and purchased from ritzcameras as well.  biggrin

Hurrah! I'll buy the games and HD AV cable from ebgames/gamestop.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 06:09:15 PM »

You guys did notice the fine print on Ritz Camera, right?

A 4 game minimum purchase is recommended from our supplier with each Xbox console order to be considered for early order allocation. Product will be heavily constrained through the Holiday season and placement of order does not guarantee immediate shipment.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 06:30:16 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

A 4 game minimum purchase is recommended from our supplier with each Xbox console order to be considered for early order allocation. Product will be heavily constrained through the Holiday season and placement of order does not guarantee immediate shipment.

Yikes! That's no good guys, be careful with this.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 01:54:20 AM »

So a new game console is going to be in short supply this Christmas?  What an unprecedented development.   :wink:

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 03:09:30 AM »

IMO it's best to wait until at least the second batch anyway. The first batch usually always are the guinea pigs (ie, the Thompson drives of the original xboxes) and with each new production date they fix previous problems.
On top of that with the new DVD format coming soon (HD-DVD or Blueray) you may end up having to upgrade anyway as Microsoft has already said they may allow upgrades. Of course you don't "have" to upgrade but it just makes you feel like the newer models of the 360 are more feature-rich and improved than the first ones out the door. This time next year who's to say that all Xbox 360s being shipped will have HD-DVD drives already included? (Assuming HD-DVD gets the upperhand over Blueray)

Me personally I'm definitely waiting until next year for the 360. It'll give Microsoft plenty of time to squash the bugs with the system design, add whatever they need to add, let a larger game catalog build up, and hopefully, see the first price drop.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 03:13:36 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
On top of that with the new DVD format coming soon (HD-DVD or Blueray) you may end up having to upgrade anyway as Microsoft has already said they may allow upgrades.

While I agree with fixing the bugs and whatnot, even if MS does ship a HD-DVD equipped 360 the addition will only be for watching movies.  The content will continue to ship on standard DVDs.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 12:54:19 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Quote from: "Gratch"

Yikes! That's no good guys, be careful with this.

:shock:

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 02:09:07 PM »

I went ahead and purchased from ritzcameras as well.  biggrin

Hurrah! I'll buy the games and HD AV cable from ebgames/gamestop.
If you bought the 'real' 360 pack, it comes with an HD cable.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 02:12:45 PM »

Yeah, saw that. So I ended up preordering PGR3 and Kameo. Picked up Black & White 2 as well, and so far I'm enjoying B&W2. We'll see how well it holds my interest after some more playing time.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 02:55:54 PM »

urg... my wife heard about the pricing announcement for the 360 and she wasn't thrilled, I reassured by showing her my ~$350 in credit at gamestop... I guess it's a good thing she'll be asleep when I come home from wal-mart with it at 1am on the 22nd. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 06:22:31 PM »

Seriously, Iam still going over things in my head, and I have no clue how I will afford this, or even if I really want it. But I will have it!.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 10:24:44 PM »

That's the spirit, Calvin. A gamer's gotta do what a gamer's gotta do. Intelligence be damned.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005, 11:14:27 PM »

Seriously, Iam still going over things in my head, and I have no clue how I will afford this, or even if I really want it. But I will have it!.

Will you play PGR3 with me if you get it?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2005, 12:07:12 AM »

WooHoooo!

You da man, Calvin! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2005, 12:17:02 AM »

I am actually in the same mindset as Calvin.  I'm banking on a last-minute act of god, really.  biggrin

God I'm sick of Pepsi......

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2005, 01:27:50 AM »

Most likely, but I need to go play some PGR2 to make sure I want 3.

I can tell you I will be playing Madden 06 and PD0 online however, and Kameo by my lonesome smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2005, 03:54:08 AM »

I can tell you I will be playing Madden 06 and PD0 online however, and Kameo by my lonesome smile

Thought Kameo was going to have Co-op Via Live?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2005, 04:09:07 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

Thought Kameo was going to have Co-op Via Live?

I honestly have no idea-but it seems like the kind of thing I would want to play SP first smile
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2005, 01:25:03 PM »

Again, the joys of being single and living with relatives.

I've already PAID MINE IN FULL!  Here's what I got:

XBOX 360 Premium
Extra Wireless Controller
Games:
Dead or Alive 4
Oblivion
Kameo:  Elements of Power

I just have to walk in on the morning of 11/22 and pick it up!  I will probably also pick up NHL 2K6 for the X360 if it's out on that day.  I got to start my season soon!  Funny thing is I will be in work and I will have the box and games sitting right next to me.  And I won't open it till I get home!  But I will be "feeling" the boxes and smelling them for that new console box smell!:wink:

biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2005, 02:02:20 PM »

I have a later preorder at a smaller newer non-mall EB (and it was preorder 666 at my local EBs; which doesn't matter but made me worry slightly if that is an ominous sign)...  If I don't get it for a month I'm okay with that really -- though maybe once 11/22 comes if it really will take that long I'll be dropping by my local Target to see what they have.

But I remember 'shortages' of XBox too.  Even then I think I walked in two or three weeks later to an EB in a mall and had no problem whatsoever getting one.  Sure it had to be a bundle with 3 games, but I got it.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: