http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:10:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Did you change your console provider for this generation?
Yes: 360 to PS4 - 10 (28.6%)
Yes: PS3 to XBone - 0 (0%)
Yes: Both to PS4 - 6 (17.1%)
Yes: Both to Xbone - 1 (2.9%)
No: 360 to Xbone - 5 (14.3%)
No: Ps3 to PS4 - 3 (8.6%)
No: Both to Both - 10 (28.6%)
Other: 360 to Both - 0 (0%)
Other: PS3 to Both - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you change your allegiance?  (Read 638 times)
JayDee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »

With the new generation upon us how do your loyalties lie this time around? I am a 360 to PS4 convert. Why? Because I have no use for Kinect and it's features and it's $100 more. Otherwise I would have probably stayed with MS and the Xbox family. But I did a quick analysis at what the $100 would get me and I would use 0% of the features so I spoke with my wallet and went with the less expensive system. I'm sure there are people that went the other way because they are intrigued by what Kinect brings. Although makes me wonder how many sales MS missed out on by not packaging a Kinect-free version at $399.

Anyways, vote! (I think I addressed all the possible combinations in the options....)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:16:48 PM »

I'm still with Sony. I would love to have two consoles (or more!) but at this stage in my life that's just not possible. I don't have time for even one and I don't think my wife would forgive me for getting another one.
Anyways I was pretty satisfied with Sony's exclusives last gen and MS and I did not get off to a great start this gen with their initial plans for all video gamers. That combined with the fact that I don't find the Kinect or TV aspect at all compelling and the $100 price difference and the overall (if slight) power advantage and my personal belief that this gen the PS4 will be the lead platform for most games means that I'm sticking with Sony.
That said, if you have the means and opportunity to get both consoles then by all means that's the best thing to do.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:17:13 PM »

Not sure how to answer in that I owned both a 360 and PS3 and will own both a PS4 and XBO.  What I will say is that at the beginning of last generation when I had both consoles, I started it by favoring the 360 over the PS3, buying multiplatform games on the 360.  By the end, I had switched to the PS3 as my favored.  This generation, I chose the PS4 over the XBO as my first console, but will get an XBO eventually.

My real allegiance, though, lies with Nintendo, whose first party games I adore.  XBO launch day was barely a blip on the radar for me compared to Mario Wii U and Zelda: LBW 3DS coming out.  I bought my 4th 3DS (two normals and now 2 XLs) with the Zelda XL that came out.  I had a launch 3DS, which I replaced with the Ocarina of Time 3DS, which I replaced with a launch 3DS XL, which I just replaced with the Link Between Worlds XL.  3DS, by far, gets more played time from me over any other console I own.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »

I may eventually go "both to PS4", but am not in any hurry to do so.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 04:12:26 PM »

I don't understand having an allegiance to a console maker. I know people do, but why? Just get whatever has the games/features you want, who cares who makes it? I have a friend that refused to buy an XBox 360 because he's always been a Sony guy and then he complains about games he would like to play on the 360. It's completely ridiculous.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »

I'm just going to do what I always do: Nintendo consoles and PC for everything else. If there's a game I'm not able to play because it's not on PC or Nintendo, well that's too bad.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »

I was primarily a 360 gamer last gen and it's proof is evident on my game shelf.  part of it was that I really started out 360 with MP.  I've since gone back to PC gaming in a big way and have played all of the big games of the year on it, with the only exception being GTA V.  I no longer have interest in the XB exclusives and the Kinect/media center stuff on XB1 isn't a big enough draw for me.  I decided a while back that having two systems made little sense and looked at the console exclusive games I enjoyed on the last gen.  by far, I enjoyed Sony's 1st party games more than MS's, and that made it an easy choice.  I'd have bought one even if it was the XB1 had a Kinect-less offering. 

if I end up with an XB1, it will be some time down the road and only if the console exclusives warrant it. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 05:59:48 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 25, 2013, 04:12:26 PM

I don't understand having an allegiance to a console maker. I know people do, but why? Just get whatever has the games/features you want, who cares who makes it? I have a friend that refused to buy an XBox 360 because he's always been a Sony guy and then he complains about games he would like to play on the 360. It's completely ridiculous.

Just ignore the word "allegiance". I owned an Xbox 360 and a PS3 last gen, and will buy a PS4 but not an Xbox One this new gen, so I chose Both to PS4.

It's a poorly worded poll topic, so I don't think the results are going to be worth much.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »

I just took it to mean "did your favored console franchise change?"  I owned all three last-gen consoles and played games on all three, but given a multi-platform choice I would always always choose the 360 version for the multiplayer and/or for the controller.  Now it's looking like when I own all three I'll probably go PS4 for most or all multiplatform titles for the extra Ps and for the likely slightly preferable controller.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 06:22:47 PM »

I have them all so I can play the exclusive games I want.  

Last gen I definitely preferred the 360 or PC for multi-platform, that may or may not change to be PC and PS4 this time around.  In general I prefer the Xbox environment, achievements, etc but I may pick the platform that has better performance or features.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »

I was primarily 360 and PC for most of last gen, purchasing a ps3 slim a few years ago.  Towards the latter part of this generation my kids got much more use out of the 360 + kinect than I did,  but that was more by design as I bought M rated games for the PS3.  My family and I got a lot of enjoyment out of both consoles.  

I'm starting this generation with ps4 and pc, and I'll wait and see how the XBO evolves.  My kids will still be playing the 360 for at least another year.  They have a lot of games they still really enjoy playing.  I'm not sure how to match this with any of the poll responses.  I don't feel like I'm abandoning/betraying or declaring allegiance for either company.            
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »

Xbox gamer since 02 or so. My wife bought me a PS3 last August and I just got a PS4. I'm sure I will eventually get an Xbox One, but it won't be for years.

So far I really dig the PS4. The UI is clean and snappy and the controller is really nice. I'm starting to see what MS is trying to do, it just doesn't really appeal to me.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 10:50:25 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 25, 2013, 06:11:21 PM

I just took it to mean "did your favored console franchise change?"  I owned all three last-gen consoles and played games on all three, but given a multi-platform choice I would always always choose the 360 version for the multiplayer and/or for the controller.  Now it's looking like when I own all three I'll probably go PS4 for most or all multiplatform titles for the extra Ps and for the likely slightly preferable controller.

This is me, too, though the jury is still out for me on the controller, as I haven't tried the Xbone yet.

I do hope to get an Xbone next year sometime, but there's been a definite shift as to which console is my default.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:22:25 AM »

If you spent any time at all with the XB1, you'd understand why a Kinect-less version would defeat the entire purpose of the console. There's a reason why there aren't many showcases for the Kinect as a controller at launch - that's no longer its focus. It is basically the Xbox's eyes and ears, and its means of communicating and interacting with you. The fact that yes, you can use it to control a jet ski demo is just an extra.

And if you had told me a few weeks ago that fast forwarding my DVR via voice was a feature I'd not only use, but grow to love, I'd have said you were insane.  icon_biggrin

Back to the allegiance question - I don't feel I've ever had a console allegiance. I've owned nearly every major console since the Atari 2600. I did skip the PS3 in favor of the 360, but me not getting a PS3 was more due to my abandonment of consoles in favor of PC gaming rather than a dislike for the PS3. This time around I wanted to ensure that didn't happen again, which is why I went with the console that I felt most differentiated itself from my PC.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:24:45 AM by YellowKing » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:27:01 AM »

started off last gen with a 360, got a PS3, got a Wii, replaced the 360 with the 360 S, PS3 died and did not get replaced, got a Wii U to start off this gen and now I have a XB1.  my mandate for a PS4 purchase is 5 exclusives that I want to play, plus 1 exclusive I want to play for every month I do not have the 5 base exclusives... it could be a while.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 05:35:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 26, 2013, 05:27:01 AM

my mandate for a PS4 purchase is 5 exclusives that I want to play, plus 1 exclusive I want to play for every month I do not have the 5 base exclusives... it could be a while.

That seems like a really weird and arbitrary limitation to put on the situation when you clearly didn't do the same for the XB1 or WiiU. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 05:38:59 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 26, 2013, 05:35:42 AM

my mandate for a PS4 purchase is 5 exclusives that I want to play, plus 1 exclusive I want to play for every month I do not have the 5 base exclusives... it could be a while.

That seems like a really weird and arbitrary limitation to put on the situation when you clearly didn't do the same for the XB1 or WiiU. 

CeeKay never wanted a PS4. This is his roundabout way of saying so.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 06:16:20 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 26, 2013, 05:35:42 AM

XB1 has 5 exclusives I'm interested in- Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Crimson Dragon and Killer Instinct, all available right now.  Now the Wii U only had New Super Mario Bros. U, ZombiU and Nintendo Land (yeah, I was actually looking forward to that mess), but it also had LEGO City Undercover and Monster Hunter 3X Ultra Triple Remix the Third coming out soon and it has the benefit of playing Wii titles, which means I can lose the Wii once I'm done with the few Gamecube games I have left.  For me, PS4 has InfaAmouS: Second Son coming out soonish, and.... uh.....  huh.... maybe Uncharted 4?  It isn't backward compatible.  After buying a PSP and 3DS for a single game (Vita could be considered the same, but bam!  it played older titles as well) and having them collect dust until I sold them I'm becoming a bit more selective in my system purchases, the companies have to work for my money now and give me a better reason than 'well, out of all the consoles, our version of Call of Battle 10: Creed of the Racer is the bestest by golly darn gee whiz' (i.e. exclusives that interest me) to get that system.  If Sony really wants my money, I find it fully acceptable to expect them to have 8 other exclusives available come Second Son's release date.  Alternatively, I could have just forgot to place a winkie at after a while and made you read this whole paragraph for nothing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »

***Removed post because it's more of an XB1 discussion and not the purpose of this thread. Nothing to see here....***
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »

My allegiance lies with wherever Master Chief goes.  drillsergeant  Master Chief isn't in any sector of the galaxy yet, therefore I go no where.  Truthiness!  icon_razz
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »

Went from both to just PS4 for now.  I played more 360 early in last generation and more PS3 middle to end.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 03:16:05 AM »

Both to none. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: