http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:40:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Did you beat....Final Fantasy VII?
Yes! - 21 (60%)
No! - 10 (28.6%)
Never played it. - 4 (11.4%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you beat....Final Fantasy VII?  (Read 454 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »

It's revered as one of the best RPGs of all time (which I think might be a reach, honestly) but there is no doubt that fans clamor for it.  Did you beat Final Fantasy VII?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:51:11 PM »

No, but I hope to someday. Possibly when I retire, given how my backlog goes.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:55:23 PM »

Yes times 4.  smile

I actually credit FF VII for truly starting my gaming habit.  I'd grown up playing games on my Atari and PC, but mainly just casual arcade-y stuff.  When FF VII was released, I was mostly a sports gamer on consoles, but had become incredibly bored with sports and driving titles and was ready to give up on gaming completely.  I remember seeing the trailer for FF VII (in a movie theater, no less!), and running out to buy a PS1 that same afternoon.  Spent most of the next two weeks doing nothing but playing FF VII.  I was absolutely captivated by the characters, the story, the setting, the combat, the music...everything.  I had no idea that games could be this immersive and engaging!  After I finished, I immediately started it over and played through it again, and have run through it two more times since.

FF VII opened my eyes to a completely new genre (RPG, specifically JRPG), one which I've spent probably 90% of my gaming time in since.  I know it's cool to hate on these days, but I can't really ever see another game unseating FF VII as my #1 all-time favorite.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:57:00 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:00:03 PM »

I never owned a PS1, so I ended up playing this one late to the party on the PC with the goofy numpad controls.

Played it a lot, got really far, really enjoyed things, but like many JRPGs I found that the pacing just got too bogged down toward the end and I lost interest.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »

I feel like I bought it LONG after it was big and played it for a bit...but i may have just seen a video of it.  Not sure.

I'll choose: DID NOT PLAY!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »

I can't say it is one of the best RPGs of all time, but it is perhaps the one that engaged me emotionally the most of any game before, and just about any game since due to this sequence, obviously a spoiler for those who have not played the game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 29, 2013, 06:04:00 PM

I can't say it is one of the best RPGs of all time, but it is perhaps the one that engaged me emotionally the most of any game before, and just about any game since due to this sequence, obviously a spoiler for those who have not played the game.

Cloud, you dumbass.  Just use a Phoenix Down!   icon_twisted

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:33:19 PM »

A buddy and I beat that game together when it came out. FUCK YOU, EMERALD WEAPON!!

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »

I did, but not until almost a decade after its release. I was lucky enough to find copy in EB which I played through on my PS2. I did find it a struggle to get through the 1st 8 hours or so though, as it just wasn't grabbing me. Thankfully it got better. The early part of the game is what killed it for me back in the 90'w when I had the PC version.
kalgorath
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 01:11:30 AM »

Hi everyone! This is the topic that finally compelled me to post after years of being a lurker. Yes, I've finished it, and I am sorely tempted to buy it again on Steam. Gotta love them paintbrush hands!
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 01:14:13 AM »

Yup, this is the first "Did you beat..." thread I can say yes to.

I did indeed whup that white-haired sissy' arse up and down the Lifestream.

Levels ranging from the 80's and 90's, Knights of the Round and that Materia that allows you to hit back four-fold with a spell. One for each member of my party.

I sit there. Sephiroth attacks all of my party at once. Sephiroth dies.

Yes, I sunk hours and hours and hours into that game.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:59 AM »

Nope.  This may have been the first game I owned that I never finished.  I had only every played CRPGs up to that point but after all the hype the game received I decided to try it when it was released for PC.

Most things I enjoy and attribute to “roleplaying games” don’t exist in JRPGs and I was very disappointed.  I didn’t get very far.  To this day I have only finished a handful of JRPGs.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 03:32:14 AM »

See my link in the Fallout thread...

I did make it to disc 3, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 04:31:15 AM »

I selected "Never played it" but had at least tried the demo and made the decision it was clearly not for me.

I do specifically remember developing a hate for the game, though, since all of their commercials were CG and looked nothing like the game.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 04:32:36 AM »

Quote from: kalgorath on July 30, 2013, 01:11:30 AM

Hi everyone! This is the topic that finally compelled me to post after years of being a lurker. Yes, I've finished it, and I am sorely tempted to buy it again on Steam. Gotta love them paintbrush hands!

Welcome!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 05:45:44 AM »

I finished the game 3 times,but i never got Knights of the Round Summon,bred a Gold Chocobo or killed Ruby and Emerald Weapon.I did complete Yuffies and Vincents side story,as well as the normal characters.I love this game from the gameplay,the music the cutscenes and at last the chance to crossdress in a game!

From Gold Saucer to Icicle Inn,People dying,people double crossing or people with a hilarious 'Horse' laugh.it's a hell of a ride

Hey,remember when you had been playing this game for hours,days perhaps even weeks and then it said insert disc 2? icon_eek

This game remains the one few games that i rang the special hotline for as i got totally stuck(and screwed on the telephone bill later)in the Temple of Ancients,that place was a friggin' maze,same with the Great Glacier took me ages to find my way to where i wanted to go,didn't ring up that time though

1st time i finished this game it was quite hard,second and third times however i was overpowered everywhere including the end battle

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 05:46:17 AM »

have it, haven't really played it yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 06:00:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2013, 05:46:17 AM

crybaby

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 06:01:18 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 30, 2013, 06:00:24 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2013, 05:46:17 AM

crybaby
icon_lol

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »

Nope.  Got to the second disc then lost interest.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »

Yes, I did.   One of my most defining gaming moment.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I remember reloading a save several times trying to save Aerith.  I thought it was a timed run...  First time I actually cared about a character in a game

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »

Beat it and then sold my psx for some dumb reason afterwards in college. I wouldn't even dare to call it greatest anything other then marketing plan at the time. They marketed the game very smartly.

Also, after switchibg roommates my freshman year he and one of my buddies beat it again. So I guess technically I beat it twice since I helped them.

Looking back I still prefer FF6 for the completely opposite worlds and the open freedom given in the second half of that game. And more recently I would put a game like Xenoblade Chronicles ahead of FF7. And that is really just talking Jrpgs, not to mention some great western ones. FF7 maybe a top 15 maybe.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »

Final Fantasy VII was the only game I ever took a day off from work to play.  I was very excited when it came out.  Definitely beat it.  This 10 and 6 probably stand as my favorites of the series.  Never did beat 8 and 9 tho.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 05:57:15 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on July 30, 2013, 02:33:28 PM

I wouldn't even dare to call it greatest anything other then marketing plan at the time. They marketed the game very smartly.

That right there is pretty much the only reason it did so well. It really wasn't that good of a game - it was just marketed EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME ESPECIALLY ON TV. Oh, and it showed 100% CGI THE ENTIRE TIME in every commercial. Finally, one of the three commercials even showed whatshername's DEATH (oops).

So basically a bunch of non-RPG players thought 'wow, this looks amazing' and picked it up and found out it looked absolutely nothing like the commercials. But then they played it anyway and declared it the best RPG ever for some reason, despite Final Fantasy 6/3 blowing it out of the water.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 06:32:33 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 31, 2013, 05:57:15 AM

I wouldn't even dare to call it greatest anything other then marketing plan at the time. They marketed the game very smartly.

That right there is pretty much the only reason it did so well. It really wasn't that good of a game - it was just marketed EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME ESPECIALLY ON TV. Oh, and it showed 100% CGI THE ENTIRE TIME in every commercial. Finally, one of the three commercials even showed whatshername's DEATH (oops).

So basically a bunch of non-RPG players thought 'wow, this looks amazing' and picked it up and found out it looked absolutely nothing like the commercials. But then they played it anyway and declared it the best RPG ever for some reason, despite Final Fantasy 6/3 blowing it out of the water.

that's just your opinion,i don't agree with it..any of it

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »

I'll have to check out those two.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2013, 10:58:31 AM

I'll have to check out those two.

3 and 6 ARE good games..all FF games are,it's just everybody has a different opinion on what are the best

for me 9 is my favourite,finished that one about 3-4 times,and while i am a big FF fan i wasn't fond of FFX at all,but still got decently far(give that another go when the HD version happens),but a lot of people love 10

I guess that's a good sign and shows the strength of the Final Fantasy franchise when people can't decide amongst themselves which is the best

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »

heh, I think I actually have all of them on the Vita from a sale.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 31, 2013, 06:32:33 AM

Quote from: Destructor on July 31, 2013, 05:57:15 AM

that's just your opinion,i don't agree with it..any of it

Yeah, I would completely disagree as well.  FF 6 was good and I enjoyed it, but think that nearly everything about 7 was far better.

CK:  It's a little confusing, but FF 3/6 are (sort of) the same game.  It was released as FF 6 in Japan, but was renamed as FF 3 when it came to the states.  The actual FF3 was never released outside of Japan until it was remade for the DS a few years back.  Now you can get it on both DS and iOS.  That clear as mud?  smile
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:59:20 PM by Gratch » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »

ahh sorry i actually thought he meant 3 and 6,i love 3 on the DS(and later 4 on the DS...that had voiceovers!!)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 03:43:59 PM »

thanks Gratch!  I think they released the DS FF3 for the PSP too.

Because I can,
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »

Now I'mma let you finish, but Final Fantasy 6 was the greatest Final Fantasy of all time.

You can't argue with fact.  icon_cool

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 04:20:02 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 31, 2013, 02:56:00 PM

CK:  It's a little confusing, but FF 3/6 are (sort of) the same game.  It was released as FF 6 in Japan, but was renamed as FF 3 when it came to the states.  The actual FF3 was never released outside of Japan until it was remade for the DS a few years back.  Now you can get it on both DS and iOS.  That clear as mud?  smile

Yeah, that's why I used FF6/3 - although maybe we should just always use the Japanese numbering as all of them have been translated in some form on some system somewhere.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: