http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 10:00:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did anyone play Tony Hawk's American Sk8land [NDS]?  (Read 1234 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:06:45 PM »

Just scoping out the library on the DS now that I've snagged a Lite, and I wanted to grab another game that I can pick up on the go, play for a few minutes, then toss aside if necessary. Sk8land seems like a good canditate. The reviews have been fairly solid, however, reviews mean jack unless the GT crowd can back them up.

So, anyone play Sk8land? Anyone enjoy it?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 03:20:50 PM »

Dreamshadow liked it: link.
stolazi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 03:45:07 PM »

I got it at Toys R Us for $15 after the $5 coupon. I'm having fun with it. And it's definitely the kind of game you can play for a few minutes and then put down. The goals seem pretty easy so far (I've just unlocked the second area), so if you are familiar with the TH series, it might not be much of a challenge, but it's still enjoyable.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 03:59:02 PM »

I have it and like it. It reminds me of a mix of TH2 and TH4.

If you just want a portable TH game you cant go wrong with it. Its not ground breaking or anything but its fun.

Now if they would only make Jet Set Radio DS using a similar engine.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »

I bought it when it came out and liked it a lot.  The cel shading looked nice on the DS and it played very well.  I also liked how you could download new challenges from online and also watch replays of people getting insane scores.  I thought it used Nintendo WiFi better than any game so far.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 06:01:21 PM »

If you like Tony Hawk games get it.  It is a solid handheld experience.  The only problem is the whole game feels like a tutorial.  It holds you hand a little too much and that makes the game a little too easy.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 01:03:11 AM »

Cool. Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Seems like a good fit if I can get it at a good price.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 01:30:17 AM »

First impressions are that it's fun, simple, portable ... and been done before. I'm enjoying it, but I'm not hooked. Controls are good, but I guess I'm not holding the jump button down firm enough, because I seem to ollie without meaning to sometimes.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 01:53:50 AM »

I would like to play this, but it looks like the online community has all but stopped playing it. I would love to play it with some GTers if I got it however.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 05:32:07 PM »

I'm digging the game much more now, now that the diffuculty's ramped up and I'm used to the screen and the controls. It's fun - it's an amalgamation of previous TH games on a handheld. The graphics work (though are a little childish) and the control is pretty tight.

The songs do have a short playlist, so they're starting to get old, and the touchscreen features - while creative - have been all but ignored by me. I can't even play normally with a stylus in hand, let alone incorporate its use into my gaming. And I think I'm just getting a little Tony Hawked out. Like some of you felt with the gameplay in NSMB, I've just played this so many times that it's getting old.

But it's still a good game.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 10:37:54 PM »

I enjoyed the game.  It looked great and the music was a surprise.  I didn't find it too difficult and I am honestly relieved.  I don't want to imagine some of the controller-breaking frustration I have had with some of the console versions.  Plus some of the specials can be hard to pull off so it's nice that it is more forgiving.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one.  Beats the hell out of the clunky GBA versions, which are so counter-intuitive with the isometric view.  Even after the THUG bullshit I am still a fan of the series.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 04:11:01 AM »

The game fucking froze up on me on the last level, and I had to replay the majority of the goal's I'd passed. Piss me off. Haven't seen that happen in a while. I hope it's just a fault of the game, and not my DS.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 05:13:15 AM »

Holy Shit! I had no idea that the game had a fully fleshed out "classic" mode, like there was in THPS 1, 2, and 3, for all of the levels that you play through in the story mode. It's almost like another full game - albeit old school. I finished up with the story mode and was just kicking around in the menus, seeing what else was stuffed onto the cart, and BAM!! Classic mode!

Totally changes my opinion of the game. Definite recommendation for any Tony Hawk fans that have a DS.

Now all I've got to do is figure out how to make Mikey V earn 50k raging out. That's a tough one ...

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: