http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:29:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: did anyone get the new Harvest Moon(gc)?  (Read 1129 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:15:20 PM »

it's supposed to be more like old Harvest Moons in all the good ways, a lot more customizable and a lot more friendly and interesting to play.

I'm a sucker for these kinds of games, but I won't bite until I read some impressions.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 02:18:05 PM »

I will very likely be trading in the original Kingdom Hearts for this game this weekend, as I just can't manage to make myself enjoy KH all that much and was planning to trade it in towards something anyway.  slywink

With all the favorable comparisons I keep reading about this version of HM being so close in general "feel" to the original SNES version, I'm quite confident it'll be a worthy purchase.  biggrin  I've tried a few of the current-gen versions of the game (on the PS2 & Cube) and just felt that none of them quite captured the same feel as the original SNES game, so I'm really excited having heard the way this one has apparently turned out!

I will probably have some impressions by around Monday.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 02:31:34 PM »

My problem is I enjoy the handheld HM so much more than the last GC HM.  So, I won't be picking it up for the GC, but I will be getting the DS version when it is released in the states.  THe game mechanics just scream portable to me for some reason.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 05:49:19 PM »

I didn't really "get" Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life at all.  I was a huge fan of Friends of Mineral Town and Harvest Moon 64, but A Wonderful Life seemed weird and somewhat broken to me.  I got about halfway through the second "Chapter" of the game before I broke down and checked a strategy FAQ about the game, only to realize that I'd never been given access to some of the gameplay elements that were apparently supposed to kick off automatically.

I'll be very interested to read impressions of Magical Melody, though!

-Autistic Angel
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 06:06:34 PM »

All I know is, when I read that not only is this one hearkening back to the challenging gameplay of the original game, but is vastly expanding on crops (at least 25 varieties of crops according to the IGN review), livestock, and fishing, I was sold.  biggrin

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »

So it's about farming right?

Ascendent
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 06:55:32 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
My problem is I enjoy the handheld HM so much more than the last GC HM.  So, I won't be picking it up for the GC, but I will be getting the DS version when it is released in the states.  THe game mechanics just scream portable to me for some reason.

Same here.  Waiting for the DS version.  It's like Animal Crossing - it screams portability.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 07:56:11 PM »

The IGN review says that this one is more aligned to the GBA and SNES games... I may just have to trade in some stuff.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 08:12:16 PM »

Yup, I'm loving what I'm reading as far as some of the Animal Crossing-ish elements to the game.

It basically sounds like they took the original Harvest Moon's gameplay, added more options (new crops, additional tools, more livestock, and fishing), and threw in some Animal Crossing type elements (like the home customization and such).

Me, I expect I'm going to love it.   Cool

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 02:11:03 PM »

Well, I might have been able to get some impressions up over the weekend, but my local gaming shop had a distribution snafu so I didn't even get hold of the game until Saturday evening.

I've played probably about 5 hours so far, and I'm loving it.  smile  It was a bit tough to get started, not the least of which was due to apparently some trouble the game had reading my controller's X button properly until I swapped to a different controller.  Five years on a controller before it ran into trouble?  No biggie to me.  biggrin

The game starts off a bit slow, making you plod through some (to me at least) very uninteresting story bits with these little gnome guys and the Harvest Goddess, who is apparently so distraught that she's decided to turn herself into stone until enough magical musical instruments are brought into her presence to cheer her up.

Fortunately, that whole Harvest Goddess deal is not the main focus of the game.  It makes for an interesting diversion occasionally if you care to, but from my experience so far, you can wait until you've acquired all 100 musical melodies and take them to the magical gnome spring of acid-tripping all at the same time.

What are these melodies?  These are very much like Achievements on 360 games; there are 100 various accomplishments you can make in the game which, upon doing so, each earns you a magical melody (hence, I assume, the game's subtitle).  I've already earned around 11 of them, and there's a submenu where you can view the ones you've earned as well as little blurbs about the ones you have yet to earn, which give you hints as to what to accomplish.  For instance, I worked a couple of days in a row at first without talking to any villagers, and received the "Lone Wolf" melody for my isolationary habits.  slywink

Speaking of working so much at first; let's just say that you'll be in a time and stamina crunch each and every day.  Much like the original SNES Harvest Moon, I'm finding that I'm planning my days out about two in advance, though plans can easily change with the weather!  I take advantage of rainy days to either head to the cave and mine for ore/gems, or go fishing all morning and cook up enough food for meals over the next few days.  On harvest days, I usually will end up fishing or chopping wood in the afternoon, since between harvesting and watering my morning and half my stamina are gone by the time I'm done.  biggrin

I've been working on clearing and cultivating my little plot of land, and am nearing enough cash and wood to purchase another plot and hopefully a chicken coop.

The game is NOT easy, and that's great!  I'm finding myself, much like in Animal Crossing, trying to keep up with everyone and trying to keep them all happy with me.  Like in previous HM games, each villager has different likes and dislikes that you have to figure out, as giving them the right gifts is important!  However, I can't meet everyone every day, or even every other day, and still get my farm work done, so I've been picking a few villagers to focus on raising their happiness level with me.

I'm nearly through the first Spring right now, and am looking forward to playing more.  This game is a blast if you enjoy the Harvest Moon games at all.  The graphics aren't quite as bad as reviews seem to have been indicating, but they're certainly not as good as they could be.  If I have one chief gripe, it's that there's so little variety in the soundtrack that I can see it getting grating before long.

But the farming stuff is rock solid, there's lots of variety in the crops and livestock (as well as the ability to purchase and utilize advanced livestock tools such as a churn to turn milk into butter and raise the sale price), as well as multiple upgrades per tool (I've only upgraded the watering can so far).  Having a rival to try to outsell is also a great motivating aspect, though they start with a huge head-start which makes that feel rather daunting.

Highly recommended for those who like previous Harvest Moon games, or who liked a lot of the aspects of Animal Crossing but wished for some more goal-oriented play; I know there are some out there that ran into that problem with AC.  I do at times, but I still enjoy AC a lot.  slywink

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 08:14:54 PM »

Wow... did everyone just completely lose interest in this or what?   :shock:

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 08:33:56 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Wow... did everyone just completely lose interest in this or what?   :shock:

As I mentioned, I would only buy this if it was for a handheld.  So, no impressions from me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »

Well, good news for you, there's a DS version on the way, and is obviously nearing release since the guide for this game has a section in the back with a mini-guide for the DS release.  smile  If the WiFi stuff in the DS release is worthwhile, I'll probably pick that version up too.  slywink

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 02:45:23 PM »

Well, good news for you, there's a DS version on the way

My Cube copy should arrive from Gamefly today and I'm anxious to check this title out over the weekend. If it's as good as it sounds, I'll give the DS version a rental with the intention of a purchase. Though the Cube version should have a feature advantage over the handheld counterpart (ala Animal Crossing), you and I both know I'd get more use out of the DS version of this one.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 04:48:48 PM »

Quote from: "fyedaddy"
you and I both know I'd get more use out of the DS version of this one.

That's true, whether or not the DS has any multiplayer features.  From what I read through in my guide, the DS version may not be quite as good as the Cube one in many respects, but looks to be another rock solid entry in the series.  In fact, the DS version looks to be more like the SNES one than the Cube version is, which in some ways makes me even happier.

I think that, in all likelihood, I will end up owning and playing both of these extensively.  Which is silly when I think about it, but hey, I've been waiting for some solid sequels to the original title for a while.  smile

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 06:47:11 PM »

I think that, in all likelihood, I will end up owning and playing both of these extensively.  Which is silly when I think about it

It's not like you have any other games to be playing through at the moment  :roll:

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 07:03:25 PM »

Hey, look at my sig!  Look at it!  I'm working on that backlog, you!   :lol:

Seven games cleared through the end of March is nothing to sneeze at.  slywink  And in all likelihood I'll be finishing Grandia III, Kameo, and possibly another (undetermined yet) by the end of April.  biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: