http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:55:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo vs. Nox  (Read 4131 times)
unbreakable
« on: March 05, 2005, 01:01:33 AM »

I was thinking about this the other day: what was the better game, Diablo (1) or Nox?
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 01:17:42 AM »

Oh wow.  I love me some Nox.  I played it for the first time this summer and was entranced.  I love the original Diablo (finished it twice) but I'm voting for Nox.
how786
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 02:42:03 AM »

A fine game of the genre that few people played was Darkstone, imo.
How786
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 06:28:36 AM »

Nox was alright, but I got bored with it quickly.  I don't know what it is about Diablo, but I played that all day, everyday for a long while.  Headaches, sore wrists, and aching trigger finger couldn't make me quit.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 06:27:18 PM »

The first Diablo was an atmospheric masterpiece.
I played Nox and thought it was okay, but I don't consider these two games to be in the same league.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 07:13:27 PM »

Disliked NOX to an extreme but loved the first Diablo..until I played D2 then could'nt go back.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
solarisgax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 02:22:36 AM »

First Diablo pre-dates Nox by a few years, right?

I think it may be unfair to compare them...

Hexplore, anyone?
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 12:25:55 PM »

Nox came out shortly before Diablo 2.....years after Diablo 1.
Even without the time difference, I'd still vote for Diablo.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 12:34:54 PM »

Even without the time difference, I'd still vote for Diablo.

I vote the same.  I played both but I think Diablo had 'style' and 'atmosphere' down better than Nox.  

Anyone ever dig through the cd with a Binx player and watch the Butcher scene?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 01:18:32 PM »

I finished Nox.Mainly just to get thru it more than because I liked it. I was still playing the origianl Diablo until a couple of years ago. :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 06:10:37 PM »

Diablo easily for single player.  Nox started to get boring near the end.  Nox multiplayer was a lot of fun though for a quick arcady action fix.  Love the control scheme in nox, proves that you don't need a joystick to play fast paced action games of that type on a PC.
solarisgax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 07:31:09 PM »

Come to think of it, I think I was not able to finish the game (NOX) as one of the characters.  It kept crashing.  I did finish the game on the other characters.

Would anyone agree with the statement: "Diablo had more atmosphere than Diablo2".
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 07:58:55 PM »

This is odd. I was going to post having fond memories of playing Nox but now when I think back on it I can't recall anything specific from the game itself. I do know I had played it for hours on end in a short period of time just to finish it and hoping for a editor so I could make my own game with that engine. But as far as specific dungeons, quests, mosnters, or even the ending, can't remember any of it.

On the flip side I can recall the quests, ending, monsters from Diablo. So for a lasting impression Diablo wins out.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 09:37:40 PM »

I think the original Diablo had a lot more scarey atmosphere than D2 or LOD. It had fantastic music. I also enjoyed the Hellfire expasion pack too.

Ye Olde Farte
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 01:41:44 AM »

Quote from: "solarisgax"
Would anyone agree with the statement: "Diablo had more atmosphere than Diablo2".

I would absolutely agree with that!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 11:52:57 PM »

Quote from: "skystride"
Diablo easily for single player.  Nox started to get boring near the end.  Nox multiplayer was a lot of fun though for a quick arcady action fix.  Love the control scheme in nox, proves that you don't need a joystick to play fast paced action games of that type on a PC.

I agree.  Diablo was more fun single player.  In fact, I hardly played Nox single player.  But multiplayer Nox was fun as heck.  It was fast action, quick, and the maps kept cycling around.  And I liked the fact that it saved stats for you and such.  I miss that game.
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 05:29:36 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Anyone ever dig through the cd with a Binx player and watch the Butcher scene?

Hmm...no...what's the deal? Sounds interesting.

As an aside, I thought Revenant was a really fun game that was comparable to Diablo and Nox.
Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 01:48:03 AM »

Nox over D1 for me.  
It is, to date, the only game that I completed with three different character types.  I still remember the Ogre Camp, the Liche, and the totally different tactics needed depending on character type.
Also, got a blast from the different ending cut scenes, at that time fairly unique.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2005, 02:30:01 PM »

Quote from: "Sam is the Man"
As an aside, I thought Revenant was a really fun game that was comparable to Diablo and Nox.

Yech.  Revenant was horrible.  Money was worthless, because any time you saw something good in a store, you would find something almost as good, if not better, soon afterward.  Combat sucked.  It was too easy, and too bland.  The story was HORRIBLE, and felt rushed and unfinished.  But hey, it was Eidos, so you probably knew it was being churned out just for the money going in.

I never played the multiplayer, so I dont know if that was any good.  But since the Revenant had all the possible abilities, the other classes were just 'restricted' versions of that.  Was there an active mod community or something I missed out on?
Geo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 06:33:08 AM »

I did like Nox, but for me it never addicted like Diablo simply because of the lack of cooperative play. I don't know why Westwood decided to only have "deathmatch" cause it made little sense for a Diablo clone.  :?

This is my one opportunity to say thanks to Gone Gold and Rich for publishing my lone bit of gaming journalism -- I attended a Westwood "launch event" for Nox way back around 1999 I think it was (or early 2000, I forget) in Virginia at a now defunct PC gaming center. The owner there set up Nox on all the 16 PCs there, and a Westood marketing rep was on hand to answer questions about the game. They also had free pizza and soft drinks for everyone attending.

A friend and I had a great time there trying the game. They gave out some prizes, including posters and EB gift certificates.

Anyway, I e-mailed back and forth with Rich about it, and offered to do a preview of the game based on trying it there. Someone else in the area did the same, so Gone Gold posted both of our impressions from the event.

It was such a fun event, and really good community relations. It's a shame companies don't seem to do that kind of thing much anymore -- the obsession seems to be huge trade shows and large events rather than smaller ones that might get gamers to crawl out of their computer game rooms and meet a few fellow gamers in person for a day. smile
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 08:07:55 AM »

The main thing I remember from Nox were the ridiculous repair costs to my warrior guy's equipment near the end. I think I went into the final area with like half-repaired armor. Still, I did beat it, which is more than I can say of Diablo 1.
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 10:09:40 AM »

I actually beat Nox with each class.  And I beat Diablo many times, with their... one class.

I guess that was my main point.
ma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 10:16:11 PM »

Diablo was really fun, and I played it *after* my Diablo 2 obsession.  I didn't care for Nox or Darkstone, but played both all the way though.  I think Nox took me 2 years.

Formerly known as "matt" on GG
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 02:48:41 PM »

Only thing I remember about Nox was after figuring out to use the Harpoon attack combined with the charge as the fighter guy it made the game much easier.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 01:42:56 PM »

I thought Nox was fun once, but Diablo stayed on the HD forever.

Darkstone was awesome.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: