http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:51:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: diablo....in wow?! yes!  (Read 2532 times)
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2004, 06:17:53 AM »

So I logged in tonight and created a new paladin to see what the new talents were like.  I started a quest and saw a little package with a ribbon in my inventory.  It was an item that started a quest.  I right clicked on it and it said something to the tune of

"Thank you for purchasing World of Warcraft Collectors Editition

Please take this voucher to "npc" and he will give you a companion to join you in your adventures in world of warcraft"

paraphrased heavily, i assure you.  you go to the npc and he offers you one of three pets

1. diablo
2. zergling
3. panderan

anyway, here's what the little guy looks like.

if you want a video, check out my site. there's one there.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 06:40:59 AM »

How do they know you purchased the CE?
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 06:53:29 AM »

right now it seems random as to who gets a pet and who doesn't.  i think they did it just to test them out.

it's not flagged per account (none of my other characters i created to test out had the package) and not everyone gets them.  but certain keys will be flagged with CE status and that's how they'll know in retail.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 07:22:55 AM »

Whats a panderan?...A Zergling might be cool.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 07:28:49 AM »

Before this patch, I was thinking to spring the cash for the CE. Collectible, support blizz for making a FUN EASY TO PLAY MMORPG. Yeah, not right now.

I know Tiny Ogre might read. He knows I respect him. Hell, I respect the company.

Half of what they did with this patch changed fundamental design concepts that should have been in the game back in Beta freaking 1, much like durability that was introduced a few weeks back. I dont know what the hell they are thinking making core gameplay changes so close to retail, but it just shows how disorganized this must be internally.

If a big chunk of this patch isn't modified, amended, changed, or simply rolled back, many players, most of them loyal, long time CB testers, are going to be bitterly dissapointed. I think I just hijacked your thread, sorry, couldnt think of anywhere else to post this.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 07:34:56 AM »

no worries mate.

I'll still be playing retail a week or two after release.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 07:45:55 AM »

Heck yeah, a Zergling smile

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 08:01:29 AM »

"Whats a panderan?"
It's one of the neutral heroes from Warcraft 3 - a panda brewmaster.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 11:08:46 AM »

So is it confirmed that you won't be able to train these pets to attack or anything?  I would love to have one of those little guys following me around, but if he takes the place of my regular pet as a hunter and doesn't do anything then he's completely useless.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 11:18:40 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Whats a panderan?...A Zergling might be cool.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 11:34:34 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Before this patch, I was thinking to spring the cash for the CE. Collectible, support blizz for making a FUN EASY TO PLAY MMORPG. Yeah, not right now.

I know Tiny Ogre might read. He knows I respect him. Hell, I respect the company.

Half of what they did with this patch changed fundamental design concepts that should have been in the game back in Beta freaking 1, much like durability that was introduced a few weeks back. I dont know what the hell they are thinking making core gameplay changes so close to retail, but it just shows how disorganized this must be internally.

If a big chunk of this patch isn't modified, amended, changed, or simply rolled back, many players, most of them loyal, long time CB testers, are going to be bitterly dissapointed. I think I just hijacked your thread, sorry, couldnt think of anywhere else to post this.

I totally agree.  Though I played the 'old way' for only a week, the new patch is noticably different and, imo, much, much worse.  World of Warcraft is fast approaching the point where I'll consider to be "just another MMORPG."

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 11:35:24 AM »

no, they dont take the place of any pet.  your hunter can have his/her pet and still have one of these running along.  again, they're just for cosmetics.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
So is it confirmed that you won't be able to train these pets to attack or anything?  I would love to have one of those little guys following me around, but if he takes the place of my regular pet as a hunter and doesn't do anything then he's completely useless.

These are just like the cats, hawks, and other beasties you can buy to have follow you around and generally look cute.

Makes me glad I have the Collector's Edition reserved now... biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 02:39:04 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if Blizzard gets stubborn again.  Far from being a sign of disorganization, this is basically how Blizzard makes games.  They make huge, sweeping changes during the beta, only weeks before the game is released.  Usually, along the way, they totally fuck something up and refuse to admit it was a mistake.

Back during the Reign of Chaos beta, they totally hosed the game with the armor + upkeep patch.  Instead of focusing on what made War3 fun and different from other RTS games, they vanillafied it.  The game was broken until the expansion came out, pretty much.  

I wonder if they'll man up and realize they did it again.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 02:50:57 PM »

I'm all OVER this!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 03:53:06 PM »

Hmh, anyone care to give me the lowdowns on what exactly did this latest patch, since there's such a doom and gloom feel about it?

Oh, and I've already read about the Undead race being changed from the undead, to humanoid, which I found to be hilarious (and a huge shame).

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 05:43:45 PM »

Do you mean the latest patch has made it so when you die your items are damaged and you have to have them fixed? If so thats a big reason I hate EQ2. They do that in there too and thats one of the reasons i was going to play WoW instead was because of thier easy death penalties. Damnit.

And thnx guys for telling me what a Panderan was. BTW Ive seen a pic of the Zergling pet..really nice.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 07:39:39 PM »

but you only have to have your damaged goods repaired if you elect not to make the corpse run, which hasn't been much of an issue for me so far.  that may very well change the more i play, though.

oh, and to keep this post on topic, i saw a mini diablo pet last night and assumed the player was a mod.  cool that it's part of the collector's edition package.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 08:18:53 PM »

Aww! How CUTE! I want one now.  ninja

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 08:53:32 PM »

Quote from: "Valhuerdi"
It'll be interesting to see if Blizzard gets stubborn again.  Far from being a sign of disorganization, this is basically how Blizzard makes games.  They make huge, sweeping changes during the beta, only weeks before the game is released.  Usually, along the way, they totally fuck something up and refuse to admit it was a mistake.

Back during the Reign of Chaos beta, they totally hosed the game with the armor + upkeep patch.  Instead of focusing on what made War3 fun and different from other RTS games, they vanillafied it.  The game was broken until the expansion came out, pretty much.  

I wonder if they'll man up and realize they did it again.

Val, I dont know how early you were in the WCIII beta. I was in the first phase post Alpha FnF. I saw all of the cool shit-steam tanks manned by riflemen, the awesome power of Night Elf archers, the truely awesome strength of the basic orc grunt.

The game was so wildly different, so fun to play, and all of it was nerfed within an inch of its life with every patch. I enjoyed the final product very much, but the game I played in beta was superior in every way but one: it was slightly imbalanced.

For the sake of percieved PvP balance (which I dont think they have achieved), they have ripped out the heart of what made PvE in WoW such a different experience from other MMOs.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 01:19:46 PM »

Quote from: "none"
but you only have to have your damaged goods repaired if you elect not to make the corpse run, which hasn't been much of an issue for me so far.  that may very well change the more i play, though.

Haven't actually died yet so I can't speak from experience, but even if you do the corpse run your equipped items are supposed to take a 10% durability hit.  Rezzing at the Spirit Healer knocks 'em down 100%.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 03:05:46 PM »

The game was so wildly different, so fun to play, and all of it was nerfed within an inch of its life with every patch. I enjoyed the final product very much, but the game I played in beta was superior in every way but one: it was slightly imbalanced.

Well I don't know about wildly different, but it was a much different game.  The Starcraft freaks whined that it was all about heroes, and Blizzard actually listened to them.  IMO, from that point until the release of Frozen Throne, the game was trash.  It's still a generic RTS, it's just now a really, really good generic RTS.
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 05:02:28 PM »

How cool is that! I've whipped Diablo's ass so many times it would be appropriate having him running along beside me as my little lap dog! Almost wish I'd sprung for the CE now smile
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 06:50:46 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
Quote from: "none"

Haven't actually died yet so I can't speak from experience, but even if you do the corpse run your equipped items are supposed to take a 10% durability hit.  Rezzing at the Spirit Healer knocks 'em down 100%.
you're exactly right, Gedd.  i'd forgotten about the 10% damage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: