http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 01:41:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 94804 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: August 19, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on August 19, 2014, 06:49:52 PM

This may be as close as I'll ever get to gaming perfection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow.  Big statement.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet, still hooked on TLOU. 

On my radar though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: August 19, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »

Oh my. I'm hooked again. Controller works amazingly well. Better than I ever thought they could pull it off. Glorious HD. From my couch.

Less clicking, more streamlined. Just as fun as on the PC.

I really like it as well, but I do notice that I can't be as precise as the PC version with its mouse ability to target precisely what you want to target.  I love the experience of playing from the couch, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2602 on: August 19, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »

Got to level 20 in one evening of casual (listening to the crappy story) solo play at Expert difficulty as a wizard. The campaign in this game is actually really long, which becomes especially noticeable when you're trying to reach Adventure mode. Tongue
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 19, 2014, 08:23:36 PM

Got to level 20 in one evening of casual (listening to the crappy story) solo play at Expert difficulty as a wizard. The campaign in this game is actually really long, which becomes especially noticeable when you're trying to reach Adventure mode. Tongue

Got a level 11 legendary mojo from you.  Weren't sure if you manually sent it or if it was from the feature where if something drops for you then it can drop for your friends.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2604 on: August 19, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »

I did order an PS4 copy from Amazon yesterday but they say it won't arrive until Thursday.  Two days go get to me???  What is this, the dark ages!?!?   icon_evil   slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2605 on: August 19, 2014, 09:19:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 19, 2014, 09:16:36 PM

Quote from: TiLT on August 19, 2014, 08:23:36 PM

Got a level 11 legendary mojo from you.  Weren't sure if you manually sent it or if it was from the feature where if something drops for you then it can drop for your friends.

I sent it manually. It was the kind of legendary item that has a chance of dropping whenever you find one for yourself. The player who finds it doesn't get to keep it, and it's already been assigned to someone on your friends list (you don't get to choose yourself). You do have to manually send the item by going to your inventory and doing so though, so if you find one of these, don't make the mistake of thinking that it sends itself once you pick it up.

I think that particular legendary you got from me dropped when I got Leoric's Crown from the Skeleton King.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: August 19, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »

My AC broke today so I had an excuse to sit at home and play Diablo 3 while waiting on the guy.  icon_biggrin

I really like the console controls, though the UI in terms of navigating inventory and the like is taking some getting used to. However, as pointed out previously, playing this thing on a TV with surround sound is just awesome. You can really appreciate the graphical touches when they're blown up that big, and the sound is excellent as well.

Since I never bought the expansion I wanted to play through as a Crusader. Fun class but man is he overpowered. I plan on bumping the difficulty up to Expert, as Normal is no challenge at all. I'm all the way to the Skeleton King and haven't even drank a health potion yet!
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: August 19, 2014, 11:39:54 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 18, 2014, 09:23:22 PM

Is anybody getting this on Xbone?  I'm now being tempted by the forum effect but it sounds like most people are getting the PS4 version?

I'm getting more tempted than I thought to double-dip, and it'd be Xbone for me.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: August 19, 2014, 11:47:17 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on August 19, 2014, 11:39:54 PM

Is anybody getting this on Xbone?  I'm now being tempted by the forum effect but it sounds like most people are getting the PS4 version?

I'm getting more tempted than I thought to double-dip, and it'd be Xbone for me.

this

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 20, 2014, 12:29:19 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 19, 2014, 07:15:59 PM

Wow.  Big statement.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet, still hooked on TLOU. 

On my radar though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't want to derail this thread but I agree 100%.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2610 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:13 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 19, 2014, 11:47:17 PM

Quote from: Clanwolfer on August 19, 2014, 11:39:54 PM

this

Well of course you guys had to wait a day to reply, after I already ordered the PS4 version.  Tongue

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: August 20, 2014, 12:52:19 AM »

Went ahead and double dipped for the XB1

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: August 20, 2014, 01:05:26 AM »

Gotta say the digital preorder and preload process was awesome. Game was all ready to go as soon as I was.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: August 20, 2014, 01:42:10 AM »

I'm loving the new streak bonuses, such as kill streaks, destruction streaks, etc.  They really change how you play the game, especially the kill streaks and nephalem glory.  Also, I think I just sent my first nemesis to someone.  After I got killed, a red portal opened up and something went through it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: August 20, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 20, 2014, 01:42:10 AM

I'm loving the new streak bonuses, such as kill streaks, destruction streaks, etc.  They really change how you play the game, especially the kill streaks and nephalem glory.  Also, I think I just sent my first nemesis to someone.  After I got killed, a red portal opened up and something went through it.

Yeah there's also a streak where you get a movement speed bonus when you break 7+ objects.  Last time I played on the PC these were not in, so I am digging them too!
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: August 20, 2014, 02:12:38 AM »

double-dipped... sigh... downloading now lol

NiM$
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: August 20, 2014, 04:40:48 AM »

I'm resisting the urge to dip-and-a-half! Bought the PC version, didn't buy Reaper of Souls.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: August 20, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »

Would any of you guys recommend going Expert with a brand new character? Or is it better to just stick with Normal/Hard until you have some decent gear?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: August 20, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »

What is the appeal of playing this again on a console?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2619 on: August 20, 2014, 04:03:10 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 20, 2014, 03:26:47 PM

Would any of you guys recommend going Expert with a brand new character? Or is it better to just stick with Normal/Hard until you have some decent gear?

I can't say from personal experience, but I know Jeff at Giant Bomb was saying even Hard felt far too easy to be called "hard". 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: August 20, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »

when I start a new character, I start on expert with no gear.  The levels below that are ridiculously easy once you know how to push buttons  ninja

the game is more relaxing on a console ATB, other than that or people who just have a better setup (audio/visual) on the console I think that's it.  If I wasn't broke and had too many games to play already I would be tempted to play it on console.  Partially because a controller is far better on my arthritis
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: August 20, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »

I echo the same glowing impressions of the PS4 version.  I've played well over 300 hours on the PC and this version breathes fresh air into it.  Excellent graphics and the gameplay feels right.  I agree it takes a little bit to get use to the new wheel like menu movements.   I like it though.  I'm playing on master difficulty which is a nice challenge.  You can't go into a fight head first with elites, else you die.  Playing a crusader and reached level 13 last night.  I'm extremely pleased and will be playing this for many months, if not longer.

Now I need to expand my friends list so I can experience the "named" mob feature.  Also, I want to find the Last of Us dungeon room.  Fun times coming.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: August 20, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »

I'm playing expert with a new Crusader and face-rolling.  I do have some great legendary gear though and I poached some gems from imported characters.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: August 20, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 20, 2014, 03:34:08 PM

What is the appeal of playing this again on a console?

I get to play one of my favourite games on my couch on a bigger screen in HD. No-brainer for me.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2624 on: August 20, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »

Diablo 3 is unique in that you don't have to agonize over a decision like this. Pick a difficulty, any one, and see how it goes. If it's too hard, just turn it down a notch. If you don't use any potions, turn it up a notch. With the patch that was released just before Reaper of Souls, and which the console versions now have, the difficulty is meant to be adjusted as you play. Don't get too comfortable at whatever you pick either, because your luck in loot drops can make it harder or easier as you play, despite your best efforts. Just wing it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2625 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »

I'm up to level 32 now, and some way past the midway point of Act 2, playing on Expert. My wizard is really kicking ass at this point, but it was a struggle at earlier levels. Disintegrate is brutal!

I received a total of 3 legendaries via the mail system today. Two of them were from a real-life friend, while the third came from Knightshade Dragon, I believe. smile At least I've sent two legendaries off myself. Half my equipment is legendary at this point, but I keep replacing it too.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: August 20, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »

I went home for lunch to play and re-rolled my Crusader on Expert. I know I could have just upped the difficulty, but I wanted a "clean" run knowing I started on Expert with no gear.

The game is about 10x more fun now. That is definitely the sweet spot for me in terms of challenge. Really I see no reason for anyone to start on something lower than Expert unless you just like mindlessly mashing buttons. Expert makes potion drops actually mean something. You have to use strategy, pull mobs, etc, vs wading into crowds. Skill selection becomes much more crucial. Gear drops become much more exciting because they actually impact your success. It just improves the game in every conceivable way.

To answer ATB's question, here's my take on it. This is coming from a long time PC gamer who only recently delved back into the console world:

- Interface - I used to get the dreaded "Diablo hand" from clicking the damn mouse so much on the PC. The console version alleviates that. It seems weird, but hitting A feels more visceral than clicking the mouse button. It makes the combat more fun to me. I grew up playing every action RPG that came out on the consoles (Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, etc.), and this throws me back to those good old days.

- Graphics - I've got a nice 24" monitor in my office, but seeing Diablo 3 blown up on a 50-inch is way better. Sitting my lazy ass on a couch instead of an office chair is also way better.

- Sound - This game sounds REALLY good when piped through a home theater system. I play all my games through my surround sound, but this is the first one that's really made me sit up and take notice, mostly because it can get loud as hell in the rears when you're bashing monsters.

- Polish - Having not played Diablo 3 since they made a lot of the major changes and fixes, it's nice to have what amounts to "the whole package" in one game without worrying about patches, expansions, etc. Here's the game with every improvement, every bit of content, and a couple of little extra features that you don't see on PC as an added bonus.

Now, I am experiencing a tinge of buyer's remorse for spending that $60 on a game I've (mostly) already played before. There are a LOT of really great new games coming out in the next two months I could have spent that money on. But I can tell you that despite having played this before, I'm still itching to get back home and dive back in.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2627 on: August 20, 2014, 09:05:07 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 20, 2014, 08:45:11 PM

Here's the game with every improvement, every bit of content, and a couple of little extra features that you don't see on PC as an added bonus.

There's actually some content "missing" (it's missing from the PC version too, but is available on the public test servers), which we'll get soon, probably before the end of the year. This is the 2.1 patch, which adds plenty of stuff at the end of the game, most notably Greater Rifts, a new location for regular rifts, lots of new legendaries, balance fixes to make all the classes equally powerful at Torment VI, a treasure dimension, and so on. It's pretty sizable, and there's no way to try it out on consoles for now.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: August 20, 2014, 11:13:49 PM »

Have any of you guys tried out the apprentice system yet?  Just curious how well it was implemented.

And also what's the etiquette here on dropping into people's games?  Some of you I know well enough that I will just drop in but others I'm not sure if they would prefer not to be disrupted.  I guess you can always block people from joining?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: August 21, 2014, 12:23:36 AM »

I tried local co-op with my Crusader being level 15, and the other 2 people starting at level 1.  A message popped up saying that their stats were boosted.  They seemed to do just fine, especially after they started getting good drops.  It seemed like their leveling pace was fast too.  After about an hour of play they were level 11 and my crusader was level 18.  The apprentice boost seemed to work well.   
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: August 21, 2014, 07:18:08 AM »

Triple dipped. Love it still , even more so now. Any late night folks wanna play? Pm me! On ps4.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: August 21, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »

Been playing on Expert with a Crusader which I have on the PC version and so far I love it. 

Twitch Stream

NiM$
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: August 21, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »

Created a witch doctor last night and immediately got a notification that I had something in my mailbox.  It was a level 11 sweet legendary item from someone in my friend's list.  Pretty cool.   
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: August 21, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 21, 2014, 11:59:07 AM

Been playing on Expert with a Crusader which I have on the PC version and so far I love it. 

Twitch Stream

Wait, are you saying you imported your PC character into the game?  I didn't think that was possible.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: August 21, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 21, 2014, 02:20:24 PM

Twitch Stream

Wait, are you saying you imported your PC character into the game?  I didn't think that was possible.

No, I recreated my Crusader.   Actually trying out different build on the console...  Some of the skills and affixes on the PC I've never used are quite viable for me on the console.  Steed Charge is freaking amazing on the console, but I rarely used on the PC due to poor steering control

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: August 21, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 21, 2014, 02:20:24 PM

Twitch Stream

Wait, are you saying you imported your PC character into the game?  I didn't think that was possible.

Note you can import from previous gen consoles though.  I brought over a bunch of PS3 chars to my PS4 game.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: August 21, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »

The next gen version of this game is so good.  Playing a Crusader is like playing Thor + Capt America + spartan warrior + paladin knight all rolled into one.  It's such a fun class that I have a hard time deciding what skills I'm going to use each session.  Do I want to throw shields at things, or do I want to throw hammers?  Do I feel like smashing things in close with huge weapons, or doing a mix of mid-range and melee?  And he can carry 2 handed weapons while using a shield?  Awesome.   
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: August 21, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »

Yes, I played every class but the Crusader on the PC, but he is by far my favorite now. It's the first class where I actually felt kinship with the character. I feel like I'm doing God's holy work, smashing evil and kicking ass in the name of the Lord.

I also love that you don't have to deal with mana.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: August 21, 2014, 05:29:20 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 21, 2014, 05:00:24 PM

Yes, I played every class but the Crusader on the PC, but he is by far my favorite now. It's the first class where I actually felt kinship with the character. I feel like I'm doing God's holy work, smashing evil and kicking ass in the name of the Lord.

I also love that you don't have to deal with mana.

Same here. Awesome class.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: August 21, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »

Hetz's nemesis face rolled my low level character last night.....

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: