http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:19:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 98916 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: March 27, 2014, 01:31:16 AM »

Quick question about the difficulty...apologies if this has been covered already, I haven't paid much attention to the patches and such.

I started from the beginning with a Crusader.  The only difficulty options available were Normal and Hard.  Does Hard give me any extras (loot, XP, gold, etc)?  I switched over after the first couple hours, but am finding it to be...well...Hard. Thinking I might start again on Normal if there isn't any substantial advantages.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: March 27, 2014, 01:41:04 AM »

According to the diablo 3 website, 75% bonus exp and gold on Hard.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: March 27, 2014, 02:47:39 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 27, 2014, 01:31:16 AM

I started from the beginning with a Crusader.  The only difficulty options available were Normal and Hard.  Does Hard give me any extras (loot, XP, gold, etc)?  I switched over after the first couple hours, but am finding it to be...well...Hard. Thinking I might start again on Normal if there isn't any substantial advantages.

You wouldn't need to start over, as you can change difficulty at any time now.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: March 27, 2014, 03:19:52 AM »

I wasn't really digging the crusader at first--it kept on feeling like I had nothing I cared to spend my mana on most of the time--but I just got into the low level 20s and now the abilities are really starting to be fun.  The ability to leap into the air for a delayed AoE damage landing feels just a Final Fantasy lancer/dragoon leap, which is just fun. 

Now my biggest complaint is how I can have my crusader wield an awesome gigantic 2-handed weapon in one hand... that magically disappears and turns into the same old whip spell effect animation every time.  I know the original classes also had weapons that vanished for spell effects, but that seems like something they could have done a little better with this brand new hero.  Ah well.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: March 27, 2014, 04:18:52 AM »

just got a weapon that turns one of my wrath spenders into a free spell, so I no longer run any of the basic builders.  It's crazy
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: March 27, 2014, 05:38:08 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 27, 2014, 03:19:52 AM

Now my biggest complaint is how I can have my crusader wield an awesome gigantic 2-handed weapon in one hand... that magically disappears and turns into the same old whip spell effect animation every time.  I know the original classes also had weapons that vanished for spell effects, but that seems like something they could have done a little better with this brand new hero.  Ah well.

This drives me nuts about Diablo in general. Equip cool weapon, animation doesn't show it. I get why it's like this, but it's always very distracting to me.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: March 27, 2014, 05:40:45 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 27, 2014, 04:18:52 AM

just got a weapon that turns one of my wrath spenders into a free spell, so I no longer run any of the basic builders.  It's crazy

I have played D3 quite a bit (which isn't much compared to everyone else), I have finished the game a couple of times, but haven't been past Master level. Whatever you just said, made zero sense to me.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2447 on: March 27, 2014, 05:42:46 AM »

Quick question about the difficulty...apologies if this has been covered already, I haven't paid much attention to the patches and such.

The difficulty selector shows you exactly what you get at each difficulty level. I think there's on undocumented part to it though: If I'm not mistaken, there are additional Legendaries available on Torment difficulty, though not many.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: March 27, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 27, 2014, 05:42:46 AM

I started from the beginning with a Crusader.  The only difficulty options available were Normal and Hard.  Does Hard give me any extras (loot, XP, gold, etc)?  I switched over after the first couple hours, but am finding it to be...well...Hard. Thinking I might start again on Normal if there isn't any substantial advantages.

The difficulty selector shows you exactly what you get at each difficulty level. I think there's on undocumented part to it though: If I'm not mistaken, there are additional Legendaries available on Torment difficulty, though not many.

Correction:  The difficulty selector from the main character select screen shows you exactly what you get at each level.  The in-game difficulty selector (you can switch difficulty on the ESC screen in-game) doesn't provide any of those details.

I switched in-game, so I missed the descriptions...just thought it made my game harder with no real benefit.  smile

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: March 27, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »

The game limits your ability to change difficulties while playing, telling you that you must "Start a new game" to change things further.  It actually means you need to start a new session by exitng out to the main menu and using the options there -- you will not lose any story progress, character stuff, or unlocked waypoints by doing this.

It's important to know because, as your character gets stronger, you really want to bump up the difficulty for more challenge and greater rewards.  Sometimes you may find you've set it too high, though, so rest assured there's no risk of losing progress if you need to turn it back down.

-Autistic Angel
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: March 27, 2014, 05:24:42 PM »

Holding out for the PS4 version of this is going to be tough....the new expansion sounds awesome. Hopefully, the "Ultimate Evil" edition will be out by summer on the PS4.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: March 27, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »

I completed Act V last night with my new crusader.  I was kind of disappointed in the length of Act V, it just felt way too short after waiting so long for it, but it was partially my own fault for playing at Normal. I just wanted to see the story elements before spoilers ruined anything so Normal seemed smart at the time.  Really seems like they need at least one more expansion to round the story out, though.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Was it just me or was Malthael too tiny lol?  And also after all that no return of Leah??  Maybe saving her for another expansion?

On the bright side, Adventure Mode is absolutely fantastic, as are all of the new additions to the game.  It's odd how some things are not really explained but just kind of show up.  Like the chick who sells stuff for Blood Shards, I just kind of randomly found that.  And Nephalem Rifts, what's up with that?  Anyway lots of cool stuff.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: March 27, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 27, 2014, 05:24:42 PM

Holding out for the PS4 version of this is going to be tough....the new expansion sounds awesome. Hopefully, the "Ultimate Evil" edition will be out by summer on the PS4.

Agree Hetz, I played D1 a bit, didn't touch D2, but Hearthstone and the forum effect has made me all over D3 when it comes to PS4.   Can't wait...

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: March 27, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 27, 2014, 07:39:24 PM

Agree Hetz, I played D1 a bit, didn't touch D2, but Hearthstone and the forum effect has made me all over D3 when it comes to PS4.   Can't wait...
I'm having a hard time resisting the expansion for the PC, but I'm going to stay strong and wait for the ps4 version.  I thought the ps3/360 version was great using the controller.  I want more of that but with better visuals on the ps4.   
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2454 on: March 27, 2014, 09:25:19 PM »

There was a Blizzard guy who strongly hinted, a few days ago, that the distance between the PC and console releases for this game will be really short. It could happen within the next 2-3 months.

Also, other hints indicate that an Xbox One version might be released at the same time as the PS4 edition, even though they have refused to comment on the potential existence of an Xbox version.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: March 27, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 27, 2014, 09:25:19 PM

There was a Blizzard guy who strongly hinted, a few days ago, that the distance between the PC and console releases for this game will be really short. It could happen within the next 2-3 months.

Also, other hints indicate that an Xbox One version might be released at the same time as the PS4 edition, even though they have refused to comment on the potential existence of an Xbox version.

They commented the other day that it was in development, but that no contract had been reached with MS so that was that for now.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: March 27, 2014, 11:14:53 PM »

You'd be better off playing diablo 2 in the interim. The loot patch improves 3 a lot and it's a lot of fun, but Diablo 2 is a better game.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: March 27, 2014, 11:20:17 PM »

Quote from: JCC on March 27, 2014, 11:14:53 PM

You'd be better off playing diablo 2 in the interim. The loot patch improves 3 a lot and it's a lot of fun, but Diablo 2 is a better game.

Depends on what you're looking for.  The easy respecs in Diablo 3 are perfectly suited to the way I like to play Diablo games, so that alone gives it a big edge of D2 in my book.  In D2 I always felt afraid to spend points on a new skill lest I waste points on a skill I don't want or need.  In D3 I can happily experiment as much as I want.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: March 27, 2014, 11:29:33 PM »

I never did like Diablo 2, couldn't agree that it's a better game personally.  I far preferred Titan Quest despite the lack of randomness
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: March 28, 2014, 02:46:47 AM »

Can't see how anyone could play D2 at this time. It looks and plays terrible against current games IMO.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: March 28, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »

I'm another one holding out for the PS4 version. I played the Diablo 3 extensively, and really want the expansion, but I have so many other games on the backlog right now that I don't think it would be prudent. By the time the console version comes out I'll be finished with Infamous, Thief, and Arkham Origins and will probably be in the market for a new game.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: March 28, 2014, 05:25:32 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 28, 2014, 02:46:47 AM

Can't see how anyone could play D2 at this time. It looks and plays terrible against current games IMO.

Uhhhh you may have heard of a little genre called Roguelikes in which graphics/effects are not the focus...  There's certainly been a resurgence of these games of late, and graphics are clearly not the priority.  D2 is still a step above many of those games and in my mind is still one of the best games of all time, particularly in the ARPG genre.  No other game since, including D3, has really done as good a job with map randomization.  And the class system, particularly with synergies, runes, itemization, etc. is still one of the best overall systems/combinations to give players a true feel of customization with decision making in a particular build actually being meaningful.

The original version of D3 was plagued by the greed of the RMAH as well as the console-influenced focus on being much more an action game.  Itemization stunk and that just brought more focus on the lack of depth/customization in the skill system.

That said, I am loving the new version of D3 with the expansion.  It's taken a few steps back to get closer to the D2 feel where item/skill choices can actually distinguish a build, but they are still fleeting because you can always change skills on the fly.  More importantly, the additions of Loot 2.0, Adventure Mode, Mystic, etc are all welcome and have made the game much more fun.  And of course graphically it's a huge leap above D2 which certainly doesn't hurt  icon_twisted  I'd argue it still doesn't have the character building depth of D2, but maybe that doesn't matter in today's world; certainly it is much more effective for the console.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: March 28, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 28, 2014, 05:25:32 PM

The original version of D3 was plagued by the greed of the RMAH as well as the console-influenced focus on being much more an action game.  Itemization stunk and that just brought more focus on the lack of depth/customization in the skill system.

I'm curious how you think the original D3 release suffered in some way because of consoles.  The revamping they did for the consoles (Loot 2.0, etc.) are what turned it into a fun game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: March 28, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »

A lot of that post confuses me Ritt.  Roguelikes are typically turn based and that's part of why graphics don't matter in the genre.  Also I much preferred Titan Quest's skill system to diablos and it also had the benefit of having a respec system that was expensive but doable which is still better than starting a new character because of a misclicked or misassigned point.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: March 28, 2014, 09:22:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 28, 2014, 07:00:35 PM

Quote from: rittchard on March 28, 2014, 05:25:32 PM

I'm curious how you think the original D3 release suffered in some way because of consoles.  The revamping they did for the consoles (Loot 2.0, etc.) are what turned it into a fun game.

This was more from the earlier development perspective, and somewhat just conjecture.  The way the skill system was dumbed down and preset into (conveniently) 6 buttons (coincidence?), and the removal of stat points and deeper customization all pointed to a simpler system that would be conducive to move to console.  In the original system you couldn't pick any skill for any button, each button was limited to the specific category.  There were a number of other clues as well that at least one of the main developers was trying to simplify the game systems down, and to me it looked like that was primarily for an eventual console port.

Also the Loot 2.0 revamping was not done for consoles alone - it was also done because people seriously hated the RMAH and clearly it contributed to a failed loot itemization design.  Jay Wilson's exit pretty much confirmed who was responsible for that mess, and they had to clean it all up for all versions of the game.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: March 28, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 28, 2014, 08:37:56 PM

A lot of that post confuses me Ritt.  Roguelikes are typically turn based and that's part of why graphics don't matter in the genre.  Also I much preferred Titan Quest's skill system to diablos and it also had the benefit of having a respec system that was expensive but doable which is still better than starting a new character because of a misclicked or misassigned point.

I would argue graphics are just as important (or not) in a turn-based game.  Why shouldn't a turn based game be nice to look at, even if it's a roguelike?   

But anyway, the part of roguelike gaming I'm referring to is more the map randomization as well as the strategic decision making.  Hardcore D2 is about as close as you can get to a non-turn-based version.  Every decision/step you make matters because of permadeath.  But you are still able to collect items and gold that will help your next guy along the way. 

As for TQ, I enjoyed the skill system a lot, but I didn't like that there was only a single character and then classes were all derived from that.  There was room for player character/class diversity but not in the way that D2 provided.  Also as I think we talked about there was no randomization in the maps so things could get repetitive pretty fast.  And lastly, TQ's multiplayer was overall kind of lacking.  Overall it was still a great game (one of my favorites) but it didn't offer the full experience that D2 did.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: March 30, 2014, 10:43:02 PM »

This is kinda strange, wondering if anyone else is seeing it.  In my profile, it lists the classes I've played and the number of levels in each.  It shows my Barbarian (52), my Monk (18), and even my Demon Hunter that I only spent 3 levels with.  However, it doesn't show any levels on my Crusader...who I've spent the last 12 hours with and just dinged level 34.  What gives?

EDIT:  Here's my Crusader, who shows up under the "Heroes" tab

Also, are Blood Shards only an Act V thing?  I started over from the beginning with a Crusader, and haven't seen anything about Blood Shards yet.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:47:45 PM by Gratch » Logged

dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: March 31, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 30, 2014, 10:43:02 PM

Also, are Blood Shards only an Act V thing?  I started over from the beginning with a Crusader, and haven't seen anything about Blood Shards yet.

You get them in Adventure Mode when you collect bounties.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: March 31, 2014, 01:09:02 AM »

Quote from: dangerballs on March 31, 2014, 12:09:35 AM

And spend them at a special Adventure Mode merchant who exchanges them for mystery gear.  Blizzard recently tweaked the payout to "significantly increase" the odds of getting a Legendary piece of gear, but I don't know what the numbers behind that are.  I picked up 5 - 6 bracers and every one was worse than the yellow ones I already have.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: March 31, 2014, 01:24:10 AM »

When does Adventure Mode become available?  I assume after you beat the game?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: March 31, 2014, 01:30:17 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 31, 2014, 01:09:02 AM

Also, are Blood Shards only an Act V thing?  I started over from the beginning with a Crusader, and haven't seen anything about Blood Shards yet.

And spend them at a special Adventure Mode merchant who exchanges them for mystery gear.  Blizzard recently tweaked the payout to "significantly increase" the odds of getting a Legendary piece of gear, but I don't know what the numbers behind that are.  I picked up 5 - 6 bracers and every one was worse than the yellow ones I already have.

Yeah I've yet to get anything useful out of those. But I keep trying!

Quote from: Gratch on March 31, 2014, 01:24:10 AM

Also, are Blood Shards only an Act V thing?  I started over from the beginning with a Crusader, and haven't seen anything about Blood Shards yet.

When does Adventure Mode become available?  I assume after you beat the game?

Correct, which was very annoying to me.

So this game with the exp has its hooks in me pretty hard. I'm loving my Barb in adventure mode.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: March 31, 2014, 02:07:58 AM »

Do you have to do all the bounties in an Act to get them?  I've done a bounty here and there and have not gotten a shard yet.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: March 31, 2014, 02:42:35 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 31, 2014, 02:07:58 AM

Do you have to do all the bounties in an Act to get them?  I've done a bounty here and there and have not gotten a shard yet.
  I think they might fall from bosses and maybe elites, but you definitely get them from the horadric stash when you finish all bounties for an act.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: March 31, 2014, 11:22:55 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 31, 2014, 02:07:58 AM

In my experience, Blood Shards are your reward for completing more than one bounty in a single Act.  I've never received any as an enemy drop or from finishing one bounty, but they become your quest rewards for finishing additional bounties.

I've been playing with my Monk on Master where one of the rewards is double Blood Shard drops.  The rules may be different for other difficulty levels.

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: March 31, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »

You can get a stack of them for finishing a Nephalem Rift.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: March 31, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 31, 2014, 12:05:07 PM

Yeah, ended up getting some that way last night.  I was level 65 and joined a group doing Torment 1 rifts and I think we did 4 of them and I got to level 70 and had a nice chunk of them.  They were in their mid-100s Paragon levels and I was barely damaging monsters and could die very easily.  Not sure if paragon levels come into play when the monsters are generated, but I was playing Torment 1 before Reaper came out and able to play just fine, but now it's too tough for me.  Will have to either find groups that are as patient or play on lower difficulties until I get geared up again.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: March 31, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 31, 2014, 02:19:36 PM

Quote from: Teggy on March 31, 2014, 12:05:07 PM

Yeah, ended up getting some that way last night.  I was level 65 and joined a group doing Torment 1 rifts and I think we did 4 of them and I got to level 70 and had a nice chunk of them.  They were in their mid-100s Paragon levels and I was barely damaging monsters and could die very easily.  Not sure if paragon levels come into play when the monsters are generated, but I was playing Torment 1 before Reaper came out and able to play just fine, but now it's too tough for me.  Will have to either find groups that are as patient or play on lower difficulties until I get geared up again.

Grue remember monster scale up based on group size and gear levels, so you were probably outleveled based on these criteria.  You might have had a easier time if you tried Torment lvl 1 solo.  

Just a thought

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: March 31, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 31, 2014, 02:27:37 PM

Grue remember monster scale up based on group size and gear levels, so you were probably outleveled based on these criteria.  You might have had a easier time if you tried Torment lvl 1 solo.  

Just a thought

Yeah, wasn't sure if Paragon levels kept scaling that up or not.  They were almost 100 Paragon levels over me.  I will probably just open a game and hope people join.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: March 31, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 31, 2014, 03:14:55 PM

Just a thought

Yeah, wasn't sure if Paragon levels kept scaling that up or not.  They were almost 100 Paragon levels over me.  I will probably just open a game and hope people join.

What's your Battle.Net name?  It doesn't appear to be on the official list.

-Autistic Angel
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: March 31, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 31, 2014, 08:01:54 PM

Quote from: The Grue on March 31, 2014, 03:14:55 PM

Just a thought

What's your Battle.Net name?  It doesn't appear to be on the official list.

-Autistic Angel

TheGrue#1545

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: