http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 01:57:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 94941 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2280 on: September 17, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »

ha.  beat by a moment but I didn't know it as I had already tabbed over to the other article.  figured I might as well post it as it has a few more details, for the link wary.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2281 on: September 17, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »

Woohoo!  Maybe with the Loot 2.0 rebalancing and killing of the Auction House this game might finally be worth playing again.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: September 17, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »

I actually tried out the PS3 demo of this, with my GF and we had tons of fun. It even looked better than it does on my PC - go figure.

Its a lot of fun to play co-op on the same PS3, and in case anyone wonders if its worth it to try out the demo, we played for close to three hours without hitting the limit of the demo.

A new one
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: September 17, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »

I started playing Diablo 3 again on the next level of difficulty.  I have friends that play it all the time so I figured I would play again.  Here's what I don't get.  Why do people keep playing it?  Is it really just to get new items?  There isn't any PvP in the game and the game isn't hard so far, so why do people care what items they have?  Does it get to a point where I need to farm for gear to beat higher difficulties?  Does the game change at all (new mission, etc.)?  I'm just wondering what the fun is in collecting more gear.  I have been swapping mine out for items that seems better and breaking down the others.  Is there a place to brag about what I have if I were to get something crazy?

I have to add that for some reason clicking on things is fun, but I just want to make sure I am not missing something.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:37:45 AM by Travis » Logged
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: September 18, 2013, 12:34:03 AM »

Quote from: Caine on September 17, 2013, 06:31:01 PM

what the H?

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-kills-diablo-iii-real-money-auction-house-1335035020

"remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo III." effective on March 18, 2014.

Bliz has admitted " it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot"

not sure how I feel about this.  too little, too late?

Might be just fine, depending on the timing of the expansion. 

Guess I should stock up on gems before then. 

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2285 on: September 18, 2013, 02:34:52 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on September 18, 2013, 12:34:03 AM

Quote from: Caine on September 17, 2013, 06:31:01 PM

what the H?

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-kills-diablo-iii-real-money-auction-house-1335035020

"remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo III." effective on March 18, 2014.

Bliz has admitted " it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot"

not sure how I feel about this.  too little, too late?

Might be just fine, depending on the timing of the expansion. 

Guess I should stock up on gems before then. 

I was thinking the same thing.  those items are going to be much harder to come by after the AH is gone. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 18, 2013, 05:12:44 AM »

Quote from: Travis on September 17, 2013, 10:06:15 PM

I started playing Diablo 3 again on the next level of difficulty.  I have friends that play it all the time so I figured I would play again.  Here's what I don't get.  Why do people keep playing it?  Is it really just to get new items?  There isn't any PvP in the game and the game isn't hard so far, so why do people care what items they have?  Does it get to a point where I need to farm for gear to beat higher difficulties?  Does the game change at all (new mission, etc.)?  I'm just wondering what the fun is in collecting more gear.  I have been swapping mine out for items that seems better and breaking down the others.  Is there a place to brag about what I have if I were to get something crazy?

I have to add that for some reason clicking on things is fun, but I just want to make sure I am not missing something.

I'm pretty sure Inferno gets really hard and having better gear just makes it easier by small degrees, plus there's the pride of ownership thing... kind of like the way people soup up their cars.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:52 PM »

I've been playing a little here and there on the Xbox and really enjoying it.  I think if you go back and look at the majority of the "controversial" design decisions, you'll probably see in one form or another that many of the choices were made with consideration for the console version.  I suspect this may have been partially what resulted in the schism that made the other producer quit.  I'm sure the lure of more $ from the console was more important than preserving the earlier design vision.  Sadly though this means we'll probably never see a "deeper" sequel to the Diablo series.

That said, the good news is that the console version has an overall better feel than the PC.  Everything is streamlined and simplified, the focus is on the combat/adventure - and that just works better for the console.  Imagine playing co-op and people constantly stopping to upgrade their points, their gear, spend their skill points, etc. a la D2, it just wouldn't work well.  While I haven't had the pleasure of playing live co-op, I can imagine that there's a much shorter cycle for waiting for others compared to a game like D2 where more thoughtfulness and strategy might be involved.  The pacing and action aspect of the game really work well with the console version, and in many ways it feels more relaxing but simultaneously more exciting.  The removal of the AH is also a blessing, as there aren't easy shortcuts to the best gear anymore.  Sure you could just avoid the temptation in the PC version, but it was just too enticing for me to play with uber gear.

My only complaint would be that the graphics definitely suffer at 720p once you're used to the PC's higher resolutions.  Hopefully this will be resolved with the PS4 and Xbox One to get the definitive version of the game.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 24, 2013, 09:33:42 PM »

I'm picking this up on Friday, since the impressions here seem good. I love that the local co-op is split-screen yet still supports 4 players - a real rarity for games on the 360. Can't wait to play this with my son and daughter.  slywink
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2289 on: September 25, 2013, 05:22:42 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 24, 2013, 09:33:42 PM

I'm picking this up on Friday, since the impressions here seem good. I love that the local co-op is split-screen yet still supports 4 players - a real rarity for games on the 360. Can't wait to play this with my son and daughter.  slywink

Pretty sure it ISN'T split screen

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: September 25, 2013, 10:37:16 AM »

It isn't.  Couch co-op operates similarly to Gauntlet, X-Men Legends, or the early Lego games: all players share the same screen space, and the camera tries to keep a centerpoint between their characters.  The biggest difference is that if one character lags behind or gets caught on impassible geometry, they'll automatically teleport to the group leader.

-Autistic Angel
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: October 08, 2013, 06:08:04 AM »

I just grabbed this even though I played a ton on my Mac. It's seems the definitive version, minus graphics, plus couch coop. Looking forward to popping it in for a few minutes, or hrs before bed.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: October 09, 2013, 06:44:04 AM »

While I played tonight and witnessed my wife getting intrigued and I remember how we used to play alot of baulders gate(sp?) on the original Xbox. Which is NOT xbox one, which is just plain silly. So we are gonna fire this up over the weekend and im sure be hooked. So when my wife isn't around, who on here is playing on 360 and wishes to play?

Also, graphics aside, which certainly aren't bad at all. They are actually pretty good still. This is my preferred version. Every moment of playing this on my Mac I kept thinking, she would like this alot. But, I wasn't going to fix that problem by purchasing another machine to play it on. This is the fix for that easily. Add in the actual ingame drops that are good. Well, that's a winner my friends. Voice com doesn't hurt either.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: October 09, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »

The console version of this is pretty damn awesome - My kids and my GF are all over it as well - Such a great job they did. I'm impressed, something I wasn't by the pc release.

A new one
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: October 09, 2013, 07:12:11 PM »

It's a lot of fun on the console.  They did it right.  My wizard is almost done with normal and is fully decked out in legendaries and yellows from drops.  The itemization is right on.  It's great that all of the legendary drops I've seen so far have been usable by the character I'm playing.  So much better than the current PC version.  Also, dodge roll...yes. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: October 09, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »

I had written off the console version, but all the positive feedback has me intrigued.  Is it substantially better and worth taking the plunge if I'm not going to be playing couch co-op, or is that the main draw?

I've beaten the first two D3 difficulty levels on PC and got halfway through the third before burning out.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: October 09, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 09, 2013, 07:17:04 PM

I had written off the console version, but all the positive feedback has me intrigued.  Is it substantially better and worth taking the plunge if I'm not going to be playing couch co-op, or is that the main draw?

I've beaten the first two D3 difficulty levels on PC and got halfway through the third before burning out.

I guess it depends on how much of a Diablo/ARPG fan you are.  Playing comfortably on the couch with a controller is a very different "feel" and in many ways, it's really like this was how it was meant to be played - but there's no getting around that it is still the same game.  If you haven't tried all the classes, that might be a good way to re-experience the game.  I think there's a demo version, you could try it out first to see if the feel is enough...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: October 09, 2013, 10:15:39 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 09, 2013, 08:46:38 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 09, 2013, 07:17:04 PM

I guess it depends on how much of a Diablo/ARPG fan you are.  Playing comfortably on the couch with a controller is a very different "feel" and in many ways, it's really like this was how it was meant to be played - but there's no getting around that it is still the same game.  If you haven't tried all the classes, that might be a good way to re-experience the game.  I think there's a demo version, you could try it out first to see if the feel is enough...

I'm not playing co-op at all, and I'm already much further into the console version than the PC one (I didn't even finish the first chapter there).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: October 10, 2013, 12:45:17 AM »

I put over 100 hours into the PC version, but the console version has a whole different feel to it.  Both the new control scheme and vastly improved loot make the game seem fresh.  I wasn't quite burned out yet on the PC version, but the console game has reignited my love D3.  On PC, my I spent most of my time with Witch Doctor and Monk, so I'm going to play the other three characters on console and go back to the WD and Monk on PC once the expansion comes out.

Does anyone know if there's a difference in where you resurrect when you die?  I can resurrect at my corpse, at a checkpoint, or in town, but is there any difference in penalties between the three?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: October 10, 2013, 02:39:47 AM »

Thanks all for the input, I may give it a whirl.  Been thinking about jumping back into the PC version anyways...looks like console may be the way to go.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: October 10, 2013, 06:54:01 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 10, 2013, 02:39:47 AM

Thanks all for the input, I may give it a whirl.  Been thinking about jumping back into the PC version anyways...looks like console may be the way to go.

If you do, I am ready;). Btw, wife played for a bit tonight. She was only angry about one thing. She had to stop to go to bed. It's working!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: October 10, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »

Uh. I screwed myself. Played way too late, and well, this is after 65 hrs or so on Mac..this actually pulls me from gta5.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: October 10, 2013, 03:59:29 PM »

I bought it - played it - beat it - and sold it.
While I enjoyed my time with it  - the second time thru I chose a different character and I felt that it lost its replayability for me frown
then again I did beat it 3x on the PC...........

I don't look at it like wasted time / money. I enjoyed playing on my couch and the control scheme worked well.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: October 10, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 10, 2013, 09:46:02 AM

Uh. I screwed myself. Played way too late, and well, this is after 65 hrs or so on Mac..this actually pulls me from gta5.

Yes, this game has a strange magnetism to it...

Sean Lama
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: October 11, 2013, 01:41:36 AM »

Picked it up for PS3 today, working through Act I with a Monk.  It feels more fun than the PC version, but I can't really put my finger on why.  There's two things that jump to mind though:

1.  This is strongly reminiscent of Baldur's Gate:  Dark Alliance on PS2, which was one of my favorite hack-n-slash titles ever made.  
2.  Knowing this version is properly balanced and that I won't be required to dredge through an AH to get decent gear makes a big difference.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:43:14 AM by Gratch » Logged

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: October 12, 2013, 05:55:25 AM »

It's 2 am and was going to finish my beer and was going to go to bed. Until my wife said she wants to "fire electricity at demons"... I guess that means a little d3 is in order with a few beverages..
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: October 12, 2013, 05:56:44 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 10, 2013, 04:24:09 PM

You on 360?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: October 12, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 11, 2013, 01:41:36 AM

Picked it up for PS3 today, working through Act I with a Monk.  It feels more fun than the PC version, but I can't really put my finger on why.  There's two things that jump to mind though:

1.  This is strongly reminiscent of Baldur's Gate:  Dark Alliance on PS2, which was one of my favorite hack-n-slash titles ever made.  
2.  Knowing this version is properly balanced and that I won't be required to dredge through an AH to get decent gear makes a big difference.

I'd like to play the console version of Diablo 3, but I've decided to wait for the PS4 version.  I'll be interested to hear how it goes, though!  The Monk was my primary character in the PC version and I enjoyed the class a lot!

Before I forget to ask again, are you going to be doing any sort of live stream playthrough for this year's Extra Life marathon?

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: October 12, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 12, 2013, 05:56:44 AM

You on 360?

Nah, PC.

Sean Lama
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: October 12, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 12, 2013, 03:27:26 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 12, 2013, 05:56:44 AM

You on 360?

Nah, PC.

Bah!;)

Also, no clue what a extra life marathon is.. retard
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: October 12, 2013, 07:10:31 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 12, 2013, 01:44:21 PM

I'd like to play the console version of Diablo 3, but I've decided to wait for the PS4 version.  I'll be interested to hear how it goes, though!  The Monk was my primary character in the PC version and I enjoyed the class a lot!

So far, so good.  Almost through Act I, hoping to finish it up after the Utah/Stanford game tonight.  I think the biggest benefit to the console version is the lack of carpal tunnel.  smile 

Is the PS3/360 getting the upcoming expansion?

Before I forget to ask again, are you going to be doing any sort of live stream playthrough for this year's Extra Life marathon?

Am I what the what what?  (I'll say no, since I don't have any idea what that is.  smile)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: October 18, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »

Reaper of Souls will hit the PS4.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: October 20, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2013, 04:38:09 PM

I wonder if this will include the original game, or if there will be a Diablo 3 with enhanced graphics for the Ps4. My only compliant with the console version was the visual gap between the PC and consoles.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: October 20, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 20, 2013, 08:37:25 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2013, 04:38:09 PM

I wonder if this will include the original game, or if there will be a Diablo 3 with enhanced graphics for the Ps4. My only compliant with the console version was the visual gap between the PC and consoles.

I also hope that saves will transfer, but now that's seeming less likely.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: October 27, 2013, 07:34:02 PM »

first look at Myriam the Mystic, a new ally for the expansion.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: November 08, 2013, 02:59:35 AM »

possible leaked trailer.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: November 09, 2013, 03:01:45 AM »

1080p on PS4, includes the Reaper of Souls expansion, and you can import your characters from the PS3 version.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/08/hands-on-with-diablo-iii-and-reaper-of-souls-on-ps4/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: November 09, 2013, 03:13:51 AM »

I suppose I'll grab the expansion for the PC eventually.  here's some Adventure mode details.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2318 on: November 09, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »

I'm so in for the PS4 version! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: November 09, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »

looks like eventually may be a long eventually.  Looking over the info out there I'm thinking it is down to a $10 eventually.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: