http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:41:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 98890 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: February 13, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

1.0.7 patch is out complete with 4 way dueling.  Needless to say I got slaughtered!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: March 29, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »

Ex-Blizzardite Jay Wilson, now free to say... OOPS!  Roll Eyes

Diablo 3 Director Jay Wilson: Auction Houses 'really hurt' game
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/diablo-3-director-jay-wilson-auction-houses-really-hurt-game/
Wilson said that before Blizzard launched the game, the company had a few assumptions about how the Auction Houses would work: He thought they would help reduce fraud, that they'd provide a wanted service to players, that only a small percentage of players would use it and that the price of items would limit how many were listed and sold.

But he said that once the game went live, Blizzard realized it was completely wrong about those last two points. It turns out that nearly every one of the game's players (of which there are still about 1 million per day, and about 3 million per month, according to Wilson) made use of either house, and that over 50 percent of players used it regularly. That, said Wilson, made money a much higher motivator than the game's original motivation to simply kill Diablo, and "damaged item rewards" in the game. While a lot of the buzz around the game attacked the real money Auction House, "gold does much more damage than the other one does," according to Wilson, because more players use it and prices fluctuate much more.

"I think we would turn it off if we could," Wilson said during his talk. But the problem is "not as easy as that;" with all of Blizzard's current players, he says the company "has no idea" how many players like the system or hate it.
I would think players who used the system a lot liked it, and players who never used it (me, for example) either hated it or didn't care about it. Or is that oversimplifying?  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 29, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 29, 2013, 05:43:03 PM

I would think players who used the system a lot liked it, and players who never used it (me, for example) either hated it or didn't care about it. Or is that oversimplifying?  icon_smile

I think it's more that the mere presence of the AH alters the game.  In-game item drops just become junk commodities like gold.  You're never excited about an item, other than its worth, because you're likely just going to sell it and then buy whatever item you want on the AH.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »

I agree.

And in a game where "loot drops" are (supposed to be) such a core component - this hurts.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2204 on: March 30, 2013, 03:32:08 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 29, 2013, 05:49:28 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 29, 2013, 05:43:03 PM

I think it's more that the mere presence of the AH alters the game.  In-game item drops just become junk commodities like gold.  You're never excited about an item, other than its worth, because you're likely just going to sell it and then buy whatever item you want on the AH.

It you never bothered,  you could get quite a way through Nightmare,  as I did.   Until I hit a wall and kept getting killed by specials,  and someone asked why I hadn't bought anything off the  AH.   that was when I learned how under equipped I was compared to my friends.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: March 31, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »

I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to in-game things that effect my everyday play time and enjoyment.
I don't always know why but sometimes I just get a ewww feeling about something when I first experience it in game.
Like the AH in D-3. I saw the writing on the wall within the first two days of playing. My simple love of D games is the
combat and loot drops. Nothing much more. The AH did away with getting significant rewards and loot drops. It quickly became
a frustrating game, with not much of anticipatory playing.
If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2206 on: March 31, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »

I think gems on the auction house ruined the game more than anything else for my group of regulars.  One of my friends would just buy a huge stack of flawless gems and hand them out to us.  They were so cheap and common that we never even bothered to recover them from an item before selling it.  They also made crappy items with sockets better than any of the named items we found in the game.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: April 01, 2013, 07:08:02 PM »

The AH was a bad idea, especially for a loot based game with poorly implemented loot drops.  If the loot drops weren't so bad I never would have used the AH.  It no fun getting loot that is 5-10 levels below your character for most of normal and nightmare.     
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: May 14, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »

Tomorrow is D3's first anniversary.... Yay? icon_neutral
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9693905
May 15th marks the one-year anniversary of Diablo III. Help us celebrate the Lord of Terror's rebirth (and contribute to an awesome community project in the process) by submitting your very own birthday greeting!

To participate, simply print out one of the birthday images below (or create your own), take a photo of you and/or your friends, and then tweet the picture to @Diablo using the hashtag #D3BDAY or email it to [email protected]. In addition to re-tweeting our favorites and uploading them to our Diablo Facebook page throughout the week, we'll also be compiling the most impressive greetings to show off here on the official community site after the festivities have concluded.
Sad to remember how I hoped I'd be enjoying it for years and it ended up being a couple months or so.

For me, if some of the insane boss bottles later on were a bit more fair -- maybe a checkpoint within the boss battle -- I might've stuck with it longer. I can't say the AH bothered me as much as what I perceived as unfair difficulty spikes here and there.

Or maybe my late 40s brain just didn't enjoy repetitive dungeon hack'n'slashing over and over as much as my 30s self enjoyed the first two games.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:41:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: May 14, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »

Playing single-player only, I enjoyed D3 just as much as the other Diablo games.  I'm not big on end-game content though, and typically just play through it once or twice.  I can certainly see how others who were in it for multiplayer or the super endgame stuff were disappointed. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: May 14, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 14, 2013, 03:39:44 PM

Tomorrow is D3's first anniversary....

so, only 9 years left until D4?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2013, 05:27:03 PM

CeeKay = Perpetual Optimist  icon_wink

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: May 15, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 15, 2013, 02:34:20 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2013, 05:27:03 PM

CeeKay = Perpetual Optimist  icon_wink

OK, so only 9 years until they announce the teaser for the announcement of the press conference where they will announce that they have a special announcement for Blizzcon 2022 where they will announce Diablo 4 is in pre-production and show off some concept art drawn on the back of some bar napkins.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: May 21, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »

While this strikes me as about about 10 months too late, these sound like some promising improvements to the co-op experience...

Developer Journal: Multiplayer Improvements

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9382478/
From day one, it’s been our goal to make Diablo III a great co-op experience, but right now it's not living up to its full potential. Even if you enjoy playing with your friends, it can often feel easier and more efficient to play solo.

Playing solo has a number of advantages. For instance, you can choose your own route. If you're farming for something in particular (like a specific recipe), you can do it as many times as you want. And you can pause the game and attend to things in real life without making anyone wait.

Of course, multiplayer is awesome, too, and comes with its own benefits. For example, leveling up characters with a group of friends can be an amazing experience. Working together with other players to take down bosses or destroy Elite packs super quickly makes for great farming runs. There's resurrections and the banner system, and don't forget farming for Infernal Machine keys and organs. But, there are also disadvantages, like having to coordinate where you're walking and what you're attacking, losing your followers, and trying to find groups that have similar goals to yours without a defined matchmaking system in place.

The point is that multiplayer can be lot of fun, but given the downsides it can often feel not worth the effort. By making it easier for players to find one another, improving social features, and providing direct buffs to co-op groups, we hope to change that perspective.
The stuff includes matchmaking "tags," multiplayer bonuses, reducing MP monster "extra health" from 70% to 50%, Identify All feature at vendors, combat alerts on map (when one party member encounters elite swarm etc.) and player portal/teleportation banners, private chat with up to 99 bnet friends.

This is going onto the test server first.

My only issue with the tags (via a drop down menu, they're still experimenting with different tag names, like Questing, Key Warden, PVP, etc.) is... people lie.  icon_razz If D3 could sort of determine what kind of player you are simply by how you've played the game over X period of time, that might be neat. Perhaps impossible, but given how intricate achievements are in games today, maybe not...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:10:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: June 12, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »

so... expansion announcement at Blizzcon?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: August 01, 2013, 02:50:39 AM »

expansion being announced at Gamescom 2013?

The news comes from an invitation sent to media today that reads, "We're making a special announcement that's sure to capture the attention of the Heavens, Burning Hells, and all the shadowed places that lie between."

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »

Blizzard says they'll be debuting a new cinematic at Gamescom.  That certainly sounds like new expansion, unless the console version is getting a new cinematic for some reason.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: August 01, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »

Maybe it's Diablo IV.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: August 01, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on August 01, 2013, 01:59:27 PM

Maybe it's Diablo IV.

And instead of being always online, you have to actually sit in Blizzard HQ to play it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: August 01, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 01, 2013, 02:13:42 PM

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on August 01, 2013, 01:59:27 PM

Maybe it's Diablo IV.

And instead of being always online, you have to actually sit in Blizzard HQ to play it.

And when the game starts, you find it just takes you to the ebay.com auction house where you're encouraged to bid on other games to buy and play.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: August 01, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »

I heard it's not actually a game it's just a 20 gig program that gives you a 'cannot connect to servers' error.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: August 01, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »

I've been entirely unable to get authentication to work so I can play it anymore (was using the smartphone app). While I think it was just because I switched from iPod Touch to iPhone, I never could sort it out. It's like I can get into my bnet account and all seems OK, but I can't log into the game at all.

It was maybe a blessing in disguise because it forced me to revisit Torchlight II, which led to me trying the mostly fine Van Helsing, then over to Marvel Heroes. If Blizzard's authentication system wasn't so f&&*ed up, I would've missed out on all that fun in other games not so f&&*ed up.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: August 07, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »

sounds like something did mess up when you transferred it.  if you can access your Battle.net account have you tried removing the authenticator and re-adding it?

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:24 AM »

Expansion Reaper of Souls

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: August 21, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »

Arise, ye foul, dead thread!!!

(PR casts necromancy spell)

.. for Diablo III will have its first expansion pack.. and it shall be called 'Reaper Of Souls'.

You may see it's opening cinematic here.. and see the new player class, The Crusader, here.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: August 21, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 21, 2013, 01:47:40 PM

.. for Diablo III will have its first expansion pack.. and it shall be called 'Reaper Of Souls'.

huh, can't believe no one pointed that out before....

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: August 21, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 21, 2013, 03:53:01 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 21, 2013, 01:47:40 PM

huh, can't believe no one pointed that out before....

It's almost like this dead thread had been strapped to someone's back saying, "I'm not dead" and "I feel happy"

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: August 21, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »

The way I play this game is I just play through the normal campaign with the different classes, I've never so much as played through Nightmare. Still, I love the look and feel of the game, and it's quite cathartic after a long day of work to just mindlessly kill shit. I'm definitely IN on this expansion.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: August 21, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »

Well, I still play and I'm actually looking forward to this

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:29 PM »

I was hoping for two new classes (or at least a more creative one), but the rest sounds good.  I hope we don't have to wait too long for it, especially since it seems like there may be more expansions after this one.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2230 on: August 21, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »

We've got video up on it. 

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/08/21/diablo-iii-reaper-of-souls-announced-new-class-new-level-cap-new-monsters/

icon_twisted

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: August 22, 2013, 01:33:37 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 21, 2013, 04:56:39 PM

Still, I love the look and feel of the game, and it's quite cathartic after a long day of work to just mindlessly kill shit.
It's a good stress relief.  D3 is the kind of game where I can just zone in on the gameplay and forget about everything else.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: August 22, 2013, 01:45:12 AM »

I'm not sure that I will get this. Ten years after D2, D3 just felt boring.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: August 23, 2013, 01:38:01 AM »

went back to D3 today............. kinda wish I stayed away.

1.5 hrs grinding in Act2 Inferno yeilded more 'rare' items than I can remember - however (wait for it) they were all useless for my class or WAY below what I have equipped.
Sad. So sad.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: August 26, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »

Here's a ton of information about the expansion.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: August 26, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »

So, it seems that "Loot 2.0" from the expansion will be available to everyone via a pre-expansion patch:

•Less items will drop in comparison to D3 Vanilla.
•Vanilla farming run would give 256 normal, 399 magic, 275 rares and 1 legendary item, in Reaper of Souls the same run would give 73 normal, 266 magic, 83 rare and 6 legendary items!
•White items will be useful as a new crafting reagent.
Smart Drop is a system which gives each item a chance that its affix rolls will be focused on the class currently being played.
•From some of the items seen (3k DPS and 300+ mainstat weapons), the new Level 70 items will have more potential and (eventually) overpower all current Level 63 Affix Items.
•All Legendaries can roll at all levels (with power/affixes and level requirement that match that level).
•Legendary will be build-changers, by drastically changing particular skills.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: August 27, 2013, 04:34:52 AM »

I quit playing after I hit 60 in hardcore, and haven't had any desire to go back.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: August 27, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 21, 2013, 04:56:39 PM

The way I play this game is I just play through the normal campaign with the different classes, I've never so much as played through Nightmare. Still, I love the look and feel of the game, and it's quite cathartic after a long day of work to just mindlessly kill shit. I'm definitely IN on this expansion.

Same here.  I thoroughly enjoyed D3, enough to actually play through a second time on the next difficulty level...something I have never done with a Diablo game before.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: September 04, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »

I just rented this on PS3, but being able to move on a controller and "god of war" style dodge is much better than mouse clicking.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: September 04, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »

Any word on what the differences will be in the PS4 version?  Just prettier, I imagine?  If the Gratch Pack is really going to be jumping into the co-op scene for this, I'd just as soon pick it up earlier so I can join the fun!

I know a couple places have advertised guaranteed trade in values when upgrading to the Xbox One version of a 360 game - anything like that for PS3 -> PS4 games?

-Autistic Angel

Edit: Damn you, autocorrect!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:37:10 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: