http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 08:09:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 65   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 87012 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:28 AM »

Took a trip to the AH because I was dying a lot in hell act 1. Jumped up to 4k dps and a lot more armor. Act 1 hell complete!  Favorite thing to do is drop a shock trap in a circle of praying cultists and watch them all drop dead icon_lol

I am still getting nothing for drops though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: June 04, 2012, 05:15:22 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 04, 2012, 04:10:28 AM

Took a trip to the AH because I was dying a lot in hell act 1. Jumped up to 4k dps and a lot more armor. Act 1 hell complete!  Favorite thing to do is drop a shock trap in a circle of praying cultists and watch them all drop dead icon_lol

I am still getting nothing for drops though.

I've pretty much loaded up on the AH.  Even bought a legendary 2h for only 100k.  My dps is 6-7k depending on when I get health globes (passive talent buff), 35k health.  Rocking pretty good in Act 1 Hell.  Act 2 still giving me fits though.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: June 04, 2012, 07:09:29 AM »

On the occasion you do get a drop that's a real upgrade, though, it is awesome.

Quote from: Arclight on June 03, 2012, 07:43:58 PM

Yeah, looking at it like that makes sense. Its just that a big part of the fun for me in these types of games, is the anticipation of the next drop. If I've pretty much resigned myself to just farming the "cash" to buy what I want. I'm sure things will get tweaked and re-tweak for a few years to come. No panic here, yet.  icon_cool

I loved act III as well, JCC. I loved normal and am enjoying NM even more. Things start to become less mindless. I like the the challenge level starts to ramp up, but not simply because the mobs are tougher, but because of the ability combos.

Speaking of which, saw one earlier I hadn't seen: Vortex, Fire chains. I can see that being nasty in Hell with the addition of Jailer/Molten/Desecrator etc.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: June 04, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »

Nearing the end of Act IV Hell with my lvl 60 Wizzy and still loving every minute of this game. I have kept a policy of only hitting the AH when I am really having a hard time progressing against normal mobs, and when I do, I set a max buyout of 5K for any given item; this has served me very well. I don't see much point in spending much money before inferno, as you will outlevel most everything so quickly.  I also enjoy living off the land, so I'm hoping that come inferno, I will be able to build my gear purely off drops rather than having to hit the AH constantly.  Time will tell if that's realistic or not.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »

having fun on Nightmare now. My Barb is at level 41 or something and does about 1600dps and I have 14k health.

What I do not like is that my Enchantress has turned me into a chicken too many times to count when I am in the middle as kicking ass! She needs better aim! When I am a chicken I can't move and just sit there taking damage for a couple of seconds!!!
If I could hurt her I would!

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: June 04, 2012, 03:11:09 PM »

This has been my Diablo 3 strategy so far up to Hell Act 3 at level 57 with not too much difficulty:

- farm lots of gold (or sell stuff on AH) and use gold to buy upgrades from AH
- don't get hit by spinning lasers
- don't get hit by exploding snowballs that freeze you
- don't stand on ground that's on fire

I'm guessing Inferno will be MOTS but the minions will have a gazillion HP and hit a lot harder.  I have yet to buy anything more than 10k from the AH but even that stuff is way better than any drops I've gotten.  I'll probably have to spend a lot more for Inferno.

As far as builds go, I feel like I'm forced to take 2-3 skills simply because they are just that much better than anything else.  And then I rotate about 2 skills depending on the situation.  Not really seeing the millions of possible combinations potential that Blizzard promised.  Also when I group up with other people playing the same class, I notice they are taking the same stuff too.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: June 04, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »

Quote from: Roman on June 04, 2012, 02:08:29 PM

having fun on Nightmare now. My Barb is at level 41 or something and does about 1600dps and I have 14k health.

What I do not like is that my Enchantress has turned me into a chicken too many times to count when I am in the middle as kicking ass! She needs better aim! When I am a chicken I can't move and just sit there taking damage for a couple of seconds!!!
If I could hurt her I would!

Yeah, I swapped out that skill for the other one. I didn't like the chicken effect at all. Much happier now with Gabby the Enchantress.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: June 04, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »

holy crap.  ran into a bug swarm champion mob that was extra health, fast and vampiric.  Every time I would beat it down, it would feast off my companion to get back to full health and kill him.  I would then beat the crap out of it until my companion rezzed, upon which time it was time for the mob to re gen its health off my companion and Id be back to square one.  I had to give up, I just couldnt beat it down.  It never came close to killing me but I had no interest in fighting it for 1000 years.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »

Got my monk up to 21. Pretty good stuff is starting to happen. Awesome!
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1969 on: June 04, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »

I may be the tortoise, but I finally finished Normal.  Of course I did finish faster than it's taking Blizzard to fix commodity auctions.  The monk was pretty good.  I'll probably try a ranged character after I dabble in nightmare.

How much gold does everyone have?  Judging by the auction prices, it must start rolling in faster on higher levels.

You guys did scare me into adding an authenticator to my account.  Is it necessary to set it every login?

Overall, fun game that gave me my money's worth, and there's still a lot to play.  Let's see how long it continues to hold my attention.  I like the auction house, by the way.  It let me even things out after a run of bad drops, and I could ignore it when getting good ones.  I must be terrible at setting prices since I clearly could have gotten more for some items and others won't sell.  Does anyone play with shields?  I haven't sold one yet.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »

I have no idea how people have so much money.  I see bids of over 500k on level 40ish and 50ish items.  These are stuff you will outgrow pretty quick.  Not sure what is going on.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: June 04, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 04, 2012, 06:13:58 PM

I have no idea how people have so much money.  I see bids of over 500k on level 40ish and 50ish items.  These are stuff you will outgrow pretty quick.  Not sure what is going on.

Buying from gold farmers or doing their own farming runs, I'd guess.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: June 04, 2012, 06:44:54 PM »

Most of thatstifff isn't getting bought, though. You don't see a ton of actual sales at prices like that. But gold definitely starts pouring in faster. Even in early nightmare, it isn't unusual for gold piles of several hundred. No clue how much gold drops in hell/inferno. Toss in some +gold find items...

What's interesting is that the price of some stuff has plummeted, whereas I'm sure other things are going to go up due to inflation (gold will continue to pour into the economy).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:49:32 PM by Misguided » Logged

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: June 04, 2012, 07:37:16 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 04, 2012, 06:44:54 PM

Most of thatstifff isn't getting bought, though. You don't see a ton of actual sales at prices like that. But gold definitely starts pouring in faster. Even in early nightmare, it isn't unusual for gold piles of several hundred. No clue how much gold drops in hell/inferno. Toss in some +gold find items...

I'm talking about actual bids, not buyout price so they are being bought.  Search a weapon at level 40-60 and sort it by DPS and you will see actual bids of over a million gold.  I'm still broke in Hell even though I limit myself to AH purchases to an average of about 6k for each item.  Still need money to get my 3rd inventory tab.  Upgrading the crafters is also expensive.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: June 04, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »

Got a second legendary today!  And I can actually use this one!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: June 04, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 04, 2012, 07:37:16 PM

Quote from: Misguided on June 04, 2012, 06:44:54 PM

I'm talking about actual bids, not buyout price so they are being bought.  Search a weapon at level 40-60 and sort it by DPS and you will see actual bids of over a million gold.  I'm still broke in Hell even though I limit myself to AH purchases to an average of about 6k for each item.  Still need money to get my 3rd inventory tab.  Upgrading the crafters is also expensive.

I don't think there is anyway to know if that's an actual bid or just what they put in as the starting bid without bidding yourself.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:35 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 04, 2012, 08:03:54 PM

Got a second legendary today!  And I can actually use this one!

Cool!

Hark, you can tell. If you click to bid on the item, and the default max bid is the same as what is shown in the bid column, then that's the opening bid. If there's already a bid on it, the default max will be higher.

On the hardcore AH there is currently one 3 mil bid on a 714 dps weapon. None of the others on the first page have bids. On the normal AH, there are bids of 15 and 25 mil on the front page. I think these are the exception rather than the rule, honestly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:19:41 PM by Misguided » Logged

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 05, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »

holy crap man. i have sunk ungodly hours into this game. 94 on my witch dr and 54 on my wizard.

my wizard is decked the hell out. almost 27k dps. been farming goblins all week. goes so quick with 4 people it's basically non stop. found a 1k dps bow i gave my brother, would have easily netted me 2-3 million if not more. it has like ungodly stats. my first and only 1k dps weapon so far. i could probably do the majority of act 2 now. i'm slaughtering champ packs clearing the goblin and that's harder because you cant aggro goblin!

once they fix crafting i got the tomes, good lord do i have the tomes.
Mackeson
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: June 05, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »

Where is your favourite Goblin farming area Jersoc?

Anybody else have any tips in this area?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:20:36 AM by Mackeson » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 04, 2012, 05:58:46 PM

You guys did scare me into adding an authenticator to my account.  Is it necessary to set it every login?

Does anyone play with shields?  I haven't sold one yet.
Though it's tough to separate fact from fiction on the whole Account Compromising news front, I'd recommend setting the authenticator to be required every login.

Although if one has a keylogger hiding on one's PC, maybe the whole thing's moot? I dunno. I just think setting it to be required every time is the way to go for now.  paranoid

My L30 barbarian gal just started using a nice shield on Saturday. I got a socketed bastard sword with tremendous damage for a one-hand weapon, and the shield (rare) had great stats, so I figured it was time to try. I do wish there were more shield-specific skills (a la D2's Paladin, and Titan Quest's shield skills set), but I guess they didn't want to make shields required for anything in D3.

As mentioned, so far I've steered clear of the AH, mainly just to see how far I can realistically get my characters without resorting to it.

My Hell experiences have varied. I usually try to play in public games or with folks on friends list there. I'm not worried about the scaling up in difficulty for teams; I find it fun to work with other people, esp. on some of the elite groups that initially feel next to impossible.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: June 05, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 05, 2012, 12:10:48 PM

As mentioned, so far I've steered clear of the AH, mainly just to see how far I can realistically get my characters without resorting to it.

Give in to the dark side!  icon_twisted  Eventually you will have to anyway.

Normal is trivial without AH stuff.  Nightmare is fine but will take longer.  Hell Act 3 and 4, you're pretty much screwed from this point.  Blizzard clearly didn't spend a lot of effort balancing the game properly so why make it harder on yourself for their laziness?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: June 05, 2012, 04:54:13 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 05, 2012, 12:10:48 PM

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 04, 2012, 05:58:46 PM

You guys did scare me into adding an authenticator to my account.  Is it necessary to set it every login?

Does anyone play with shields?  I haven't sold one yet.
Though it's tough to separate fact from fiction on the whole Account Compromising news front, I'd recommend setting the authenticator to be required every login.

Although if one has a keylogger hiding on one's PC, maybe the whole thing's moot? I dunno. I just think setting it to be required every time is the way to go for now.  paranoid

1) It doesn't seem necessary to have it in there on every login.  It looks as though they are doing some anomaly detection on the login where if they do detect some weirdness in your login pattern (such as logins from different locations), they'll ask for the One Time Password/code (OTP) anyway.  I've certainly had that happen to me the last few weeks as I've been playing while traveling.

2) Keyloggers aren't really effective against modern OTP.  Since every tech that I'm aware of discards your OTP once you use it, it's nearly impossible for a keylogger to grab a useable OTP before you yourself use it.  If they happen to be scraping your screen at that moment in time AND grab your OTP before you hit enter, there's a race condition they could theoretically win but it's pretty unlikely.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 05, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 05, 2012, 04:54:13 PM

1) It doesn't seem necessary to have it in there on every login.  It looks as though they are doing some anomaly detection on the login where if they do detect some weirdness in your login pattern (such as logins from different locations), they'll ask for the One Time Password/code (OTP) anyway.  I've certainly had that happen to me the last few weeks as I've been playing while traveling.

Agreed with your second sentence. The last time they patched and it caused a service outage I tried to switch to another server location outside of the Americas several times with ZERO success.
However the next day when things were back to normal I was prompted for my secret password answer - I dialed it down to the fact that I was playing around with INI files and switching servers.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1983 on: June 05, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »

After getting my 30 WD hacked I had to start another character because the WD couldn't last more than a minute. I would have loved to have grabbed some goodies out of my stash but they cleaned that out as well as about 35K in gold - I know that's not a ton but it would have put me back in action.

I've gotten a barbarian up to level 11 and now have some money I can spend on at least a weapon in the AH. What a PITA, though. Honestly, all I want to do is play a single player version of D3 without all this server crap getting in the way.

Now I use the authenticator and I'm careful about how I exit the game. I have never joined a public game, offered my game as public, or even played with another person. I wish I knew how the hell someone got into my account.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 05, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »

Quote from: Mackeson on June 05, 2012, 10:18:32 AM

I'd love to know how to farm these goblins easily in Nightmare.  I found one and wasn't able to kill him.  Any guidance on where to repeatedly find them and how to kill them as a Barbarian?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 06, 2012, 03:42:15 AM »

Quote from: Travis on June 05, 2012, 06:56:28 PM

I'd love to know how to farm these goblins easily in Nightmare.  I found one and wasn't able to kill him.  Any guidance on where to repeatedly find them and how to kill them as a Barbarian?

hit them with your weapon?  biggrin

sorry, not sure where to find them.  I'd like to know too as I am just starting out as a barb in NM too.  other than going full vit + health return on hit I don't have a lot to offer.  It definitely paid to go shopping for as many high end gems as you can get though.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 06, 2012, 05:56:40 AM »

I've had some pretty crazy chases on my HC barbarian. I KNOW I shouldn't chase them, but I can't help it. I do have a couple of tips. Use leap to jump PAST them. That will usually get them to turn around and run back the way they came, which is hopefully an area you already cleared. If you can steer them to a dead end or cleared spot, do. The other thing is to have something with range. I happen to like seismic slam. When they stop and open a portal, they are easily interrupted if you can reach them (thrown axe, leap, seismic, etc.).

Quote from: Travis on June 05, 2012, 06:56:28 PM

Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 06, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »

Took out Belial solo with my wizard in Inferno today.

Pretty satisfying since he can be a SOB even on the lower difficulties.

21k Hp
45k dps
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 06, 2012, 07:21:47 AM »

finally got around to finishing act 2 with the monk and thought Belial was kind of a pushover.  I keep waiting for it to change, but so far the toughest fight was with The Butcher.

Dragon's Dogma has spoiled me for followers too-  I keep wanting my Enchantress and Spirit Monk to start picking up stuff  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 06, 2012, 10:00:54 AM »

it got nerfed apparently, doesnt appear as much. still should be good enough for 4 players. it's act 2 dark soul stone or whatever quest, number 8. you can youtube it. glad i got the farming in. i knew a nerf was coming soon.

Toying with the wizard melee build, doing pretty well in act 2 except for the god damn wasps, seriously fuck those things up their stingers. I beat maghda with it, so there's that. I need a weapon with more life on hit though, 500 doesn't cut it in act 2. it tore through act 1 so quick. did a warden butcher run and never came close to dying outside one pact i didnt know was frozen. this is way more fun than kiting. i went from 27k to 13k dps but it doesnt really matter. since they all group on your hydra+the meteor just destroys them. it's a really fun build and fellow 60 wizards should try it. if you already dont' have a lot of resistance you're going to be sinking some gold, but most will be a weapon and shield if you dont have one.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 06, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »

Interesting poll at DiabloIncGamers:

Your 3 Favorite Things in Diablo III:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/vote-your-favorite-things-in-diablo-iii
The three I chose are in the lead, so maybe it's not really that interesting - the top 3-4 choices are pretty clear unless you hated the game, in which case the last choice on the list is the one to choose  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 06, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »

My top 3 were absent from the choice list: the gameplay, the class designs, and the easy respeccing.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 06, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »

So today I try to play D3 and after logging in get a message that a patch is available, so the game will close and download the patch.  The game closes, restarts, and tells me it's up to date.  Login again and get the same error.

Guess I'm not allowed to play my single player Diablo game today.  Unreal.
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: June 06, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »

Same here, Rowdy. 
Great patch, makes the game totally  unplayable. icon_confused
You would think with all the money their making off us and all the hoops we have to jump through to play, they could at least check to see if the patch runs first!

Byte me
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 06, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »

Battle.net is down. Some people got the same error during the maintenance window for the 1.02 patch. Sould be back up in about an hour if all goes according to schedule.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: June 06, 2012, 05:10:26 PM »

It tells you at the login screen it will be down from 5-11am PST, not sure why you are surprised you can't get in unless you just don't read it.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: June 06, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »

I've been playing a "Use found items only" Barbarian for fun on the European servers during maintenance. No vendors, blacksmith, jewelcrafter or auction house until level 60 smile I am having a blast so far.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 06, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 06, 2012, 01:45:58 PM

My top 3 were absent from the choice list: the gameplay, the class designs, and the easy respeccing.
Basically, you're saying "skills and runes" cause that's pretty much what those three things boil down to, right?  icon_smile My other choices were graphics/sound effects, and quests/random events.

I actually, repeatedly run into random events I didn't see/weren't aware of on my initial runs. None blow me away per se (I still think Soul Jar is the coolest), but it's always fun to discover a little something new.

In retrospect, I think they should've added a checkbox to Skip All Cutscenes, Once You've Completed One Run Through of the Campaign. This would save a lot of players frantically hitting Esc to skip everything on repeated run throughs.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: June 06, 2012, 06:04:17 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 06, 2012, 05:10:26 PM

It tells you at the login screen it will be down from 5-11am PST, not sure why you are surprised you can't get in unless you just don't read it.

True, but in their defense, if they are getting an error that says they need to patch when they already have, it's understandable there might be some confusion. Maybe that occurs because the server hasn't finished patching and therefore the versions don't match. Regardless, it should be fine when things go back online.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: June 06, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 06, 2012, 06:04:17 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on June 06, 2012, 05:10:26 PM

True, but in their defense, if they are getting an error that says they need to patch when they already have, it's understandable there might be some confusion. Maybe that occurs because the server hasn't finished patching and therefore the versions don't match. Regardless, it should be fine when things go back online.

I ran into this last patch, once the servers were live it was all good.  Nothing to worry about.  If you try to log in now though its not happening, they pushed it back an hour.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 65   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: