http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 02:34:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 94479 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: May 29, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »

I got kicked out after msgs saying the server was going down.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: May 29, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »

Yep, looks like another Patch Tuesday fiasco. Extended maintenance plus downtime.

I sort of remember early WoW being this bad or worse on Patch Tuesdays, though. The saving grace there was that there were enough realms that if you had a character on a second realm you had a good shot at one of the two being playable.

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »

Let the mp be down. Please just let me play single player. I've paid $60 for a digital brick.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1883 on: May 30, 2012, 12:48:15 AM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on May 29, 2012, 11:20:45 PM

Let the mp be down. Please just let me play single player. I've paid $60 for a digital brick.

Isn't that Minecraft?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: May 30, 2012, 12:53:47 AM »

seems to be running fine now.  good thing I didn't have time to play until now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: May 30, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 30, 2012, 12:53:47 AM

seems to be running fine now.  good thing I didn't have time to play until now.

Now I'm getting error 37 instead of error 33.  Either way the result is the same...no Diablo  icon_evil  Leave it to Blizzard to FU this game too.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1886 on: May 30, 2012, 03:52:32 AM »

Got on for a bit and was getting some awesome drops and was just about to get more loot and then disconnect.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: May 30, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »

4 barbarians take on the Skeleton King in Hardcore, with a twist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NXOYC_sBPVg

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: May 30, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »

I cant play this game anymore - its simply too boring. While I never was a big D2 or D1 fan, I've enjoyed countless click-the-mob games over the years, but this one just leaves me cold.
I realize people say I have to get through Normal to get the good part, but when doing so takes me 12 hours of mind-numbing boredom, something is wrong.

Such a shame.

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 30, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »

Just out of curiosity, which class did you use?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: May 30, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 30, 2012, 11:11:06 AM

I've tried a few, but the one I got the longest with, is the Monk - lvl...26 or so I think, act 3. Some big desert I just completed I think :-)
I have a few lvl 10's as well.

Anyways - its weird, the game should be everything I ever wanted, but I find it so boring.

A new one
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: May 30, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »

26 WD, 30 mage, 29 monk, 16 barbarian and 8 demon hunter..   Hopefully not wore out after work tonight so I can play the hell out of it.   icon_lol
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: May 30, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »

I've switched out some stats on my WD and instead of using more Vit stuff, I've basically pumped INT into everything and I'm doing much better with my pets.  I'm at 47 or 48 now and using dogs/garg with Soul Harvest/Locusts/Acid Cloud (with Kiss of Death) and it really is owning stuff in Nightmare now.  Having much more fun with it.  Also I started using the Templar again instead of a ranged helper and that does a lot of good, too.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: May 30, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 30, 2012, 01:44:21 PM

I've switched out some stats on my WD and instead of using more Vit stuff, I've basically pumped INT into everything and I'm doing much better with my pets.  I'm at 47 or 48 now and using dogs/garg with Soul Harvest/Locusts/Acid Cloud (with Kiss of Death) and it really is owning stuff in Nightmare now.  Having much more fun with it.  Also I started using the Templar again instead of a ranged helper and that does a lot of good, too.

Hey Leo, acid cloud and locusts seem like they have considerable overlap to me, how do you use them?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: May 30, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 30, 2012, 11:01:54 AM

I cant play this game anymore - its simply too boring. While I never was a big D2 or D1 fan, I've enjoyed countless click-the-mob games over the years, but this one just leaves me cold.
I realize people say I have to get through Normal to get the good part, but when doing so takes me 12 hours of mind-numbing boredom, something is wrong.

Such a shame.

I'm still enjoying the game but I can see why someone could get bored with the gameplay.  I was just having a discussion last night while we were blitzing through Nigtmare mode whether Diablo is a skill based game.  The others disagreed, but I don't really see it as one.  Too much of it is dependedent on loot and build and there is not as much player skill involved.   For example, I could play a League of Legends champ for months and even though a LOL champ only has 4 active skills, I still feel like I have lots to learn to improve my play with that champ.  Diablo classes feel like easy mode compared to that and I guess a large part of it is because the skills are very simple to use.  I appreciate the strategic part of Diablo where you come up with build ideas to handle different situations.  I'm just not a huge fan of how straight forward the combat is.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: May 30, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 30, 2012, 03:24:34 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 30, 2012, 01:44:21 PM

Hey Leo, acid cloud and locusts seem like they have considerable overlap to me, how do you use them?

Mostly I run up to a pack and hit soul harvest to boost my INT with 5 stacks, then I use locusts with the mana regen rune for each time it jumps, then I have a ton of mana to do acid cloud.  I forgot to mention I also use point darts w/ splinter rune to snipe stuff.  As long as there are big packs, my locusts generate a bunch of mana for me.  Only if I get multiple big elite packs in a row do I have to regen for a sec.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: May 30, 2012, 05:17:06 PM »

Skystride, that's a function of playing against other human beings. The thing about PvP in Diablo that could put it on a whole different level than league is that you won't know what skills your opponent has. The thing that will make it suck (compared to LOL) will be the huge disparity in gear. If they match people well based on gear, it could be a lot of fun for people who are into that.

Leo, thanks for the explanation. Right now with my WD, one acid cloud kills nearly anything it hits, so I don't really have need of a second AoE, but that could certainly change in nightmare.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: May 30, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 30, 2012, 05:17:06 PM

Leo, thanks for the explanation. Right now with my WD, one acid cloud kills nearly anything it hits, so I don't really have need of a second AoE, but that could certainly change in nightmare.

WD is the class I've had to do the most changes with as the difficulty goes up.   I'm still not completely happy with my build for nightmare and I just finished Diablo off on it last night.   My DH on the other hand is pretty static with minor tweaks just to mix things up.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: May 30, 2012, 07:39:59 PM »

Invulnerable Minions is now my least favorite Elite Mob skill. I thought Arcane Enchanted and Waller were bad. I was wrong.

58 Wizard now, Hell difficulty, Act II. Should hit the big 60 tonight. Am still in love with the game! biggrin

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: May 30, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 30, 2012, 03:48:57 PM

Quote from: Razgon on May 30, 2012, 11:01:54 AM

Such a shame.

I'm still enjoying the game but I can see why someone could get bored with the gameplay.  I was just having a discussion last night while we were blitzing through Nigtmare mode whether Diablo is a skill based game.  The others disagreed, but I don't really see it as one.  Too much of it is dependedent on loot and build and there is not as much player skill involved.   For example, I could play a League of Legends champ for months and even though a LOL champ only has 4 active skills, I still feel like I have lots to learn to improve my play with that champ.  Diablo classes feel like easy mode compared to that and I guess a large part of it is because the skills are very simple to use.  I appreciate the strategic part of Diablo where you come up with build ideas to handle different situations.  I'm just not a huge fan of how straight forward the combat is.

PvE is always going to be relatively more "mindless."  I do think they could have provided some better AI on the key bosses to make them have more unique challenges; as we were discussing D2's bosses seemed to have a few more tactics/tricks compared to their D3 counterparts.  In any case, I do believe there's still a significant skill-based element to the game.  If I walk into a tough situation and do nothing, I'm going to die.  If I don't treat it seriously, I'll still probably die.  If I do the right things at the right time, I will likely survive.  If I do the optimal things, I will survive and carve through as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Diablo's skill and strategic requirements are more subtle but they are there if you think about it.  One misclick and you might die, or cause your teammates to die.  Get yourself trapped in a corner without a means of escape or ability to survive, you'll also die.   Forget that some mobs explode and do damage after they die, and you might also die.  (This is why some people get hooked on HC, because there is a true penalty; in regular there's really no death penatly at all, so that could be why you don't have as much concern about playing "skillfully" to survive.)  Part of it is planning ahead to have the escape skills or the ability to tank/heal, and part of it is knowing how/when to use those skills effectively.  My monk build has pretty much been fixed since around lvl 30; it's meant to be a group healing/sustaining build.  I've got only 2 pure offense skills on right and left mouse buttons; both are spirit generators.  Depending on the situation, I may have the pet ally going, and then everything else is about the timing on heals (one self that can also negate CC, one area) and mitigation (aura with castable effects).  Most people may not even notice what I'm doing, but I can guarantee you it takes a certain amount of skill to keep people alive while still contributing offensively, particularly when there are lower level players around. 
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: May 31, 2012, 01:59:08 AM »

DING 60! biggrin I've never reached max level in a Diablo game before so I am pleased by this.

It got really hard and frustrating playing my Wizard in Act II Hell Difficulty until I heard this crazy tactic (maybe it's what everyone does and I'm the one who's crazy). I unsocketed ALL my gear and filled the sockets with +VIT. My Life went from 26K to 41K. HUGE difference when taking on Elites. Those few extra seconds of health buys me time to hotfoot it to the nearest health globe and keep killing. I am woefully undergeared, so now begins the expensive process of equipping myself with all iLvl 60 items (or better). I am really enjoying this! Back to crushing demons biggrin

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 31, 2012, 03:40:46 AM »

I've been playing a Wizard when my main, who's a Monk, starts frustrating me(in nightmare)

I'm about 17 or so with the Wizard and the range game is a good change from head banging.
It's good to hear Orgull, that the Wizard remains very viable throughout the game.

Got my first legendary drop tonight playing the Wizz. Sad thing is that it's a lv 9 quiver called "sin seeker".
There's even a few of them on the AH. Well, at least I've broken the ice with my first legendary.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1902 on: May 31, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »

GT official review

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1903 on: May 31, 2012, 04:26:09 AM »

Uh ohz.

Got people on my FB throwing up "I got hacked" statuses already.
Not cool.

Gonna eat your face
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1904 on: May 31, 2012, 04:46:30 AM »

I’m one of the many people who apparently had their account compromised but only on a single character and not even the one with the best equipment or highest level.  My case seems to have a unique element to it though as my blacksmith was also reset, something I don’t think could occur because of a compromised account.    There are about 30 threads on the Blizzard Tech forums filled with people who have lost items; at this point I think a problem with the system is much more likely. 

In case anyone is curious what happens if your account is “compromised” I got my response from Blizzard after about three days.  They can only do a full account roll back, not a single character and they can’t guarantee that they even have a save point of any of your characters.  Anything you've done since the event will be lost if they can recover it at all.

They also didn’t acknowledge that my Blacksmith level was reset.  Not impressed.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: May 31, 2012, 04:59:23 AM »

Finished normal for the first time earlier on my WD with Oscuros and his Monk. Also finished Act III HC with my barbarian.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: May 31, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 31, 2012, 04:46:30 AM

Iím one of the many people who apparently had their account compromised but only on a single character and not even the one with the best equipment or highest level.  My case seems to have a unique element to it though as my blacksmith was also reset, something I donít think could occur because of a compromised account.    There are about 30 threads on the Blizzard Tech forums filled with people who have lost items; at this point I think a problem with the system is much more likely. 

In case anyone is curious what happens if your account is ďcompromisedĒ I got my response from Blizzard after about three days.  They can only do a full account roll back, not a single character and they canít guarantee that they even have a save point of any of your characters.  Anything you've done since the event will be lost if they can recover it at all.

They also didnít acknowledge that my Blacksmith level was reset.  Not impressed.

Did you have an authenticator on your account?  If it starts happening to those accounts, that is when I will worry.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: May 31, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »

Sounds more like a bug than intentional hacking, no?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: May 31, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 30, 2012, 11:24:21 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 30, 2012, 11:11:06 AM

I've tried a few, but the one I got the longest with, is the Monk - lvl...26 or so I think, act 3. Some big desert I just completed I think :-)
I have a few lvl 10's as well.

Anyways - its weird, the game should be everything I ever wanted, but I find it so boring.
To me so far, the game has been most thrilling to play somewhere in the middle part of Nightmare. Yes, it's a shame it takes that long to feel truly challenging/exciting, but to me the game doesn't reward "alt-itis." If people just keep playing characters to L20-25 and then start over, they're missing the more exciting gameplay later in Nightmare.

I still feel gameplay difficulty is wildly imbalanced. You might be bored for 15 minutes and then run into a named boss group that's seemingly invincible. Or you might run into difficult stretches, change up your runes, and suddenly it feels too easy. While I like the flexibility of the rune system, I think it ultimately made it pretty much impossible to balance the difficulty challenge in a consistent fashion -- too many variables.

In nightmare I have on occasion had to either beg for help off my friends list (thanks to, I think it's, Plainsrunner here for helping on one particular boss) or just join a public game to get through certain sequences. But my DH has also had long passages in Nightmare where he just annihilates everything on screen practically as soon as they appear, with the Follower chipping in a little bit.

I still feel like they spent too much time worrying about accommodating casual players, as if Diablo was a tough game to figure out. I think if they'd skipped Normal altogether or just made it an optional Easy mode for new players (as I posted here earlier), we wouldn't have all this complaining about the game being too easy. It might've been just about right.

As for AI, this is Diablo, not Half-Life 3.  icon_smile Typically the franchise has upped the challenge by throwing simply More, and Bigger, and varying the modifiers so that you have to figure out how to damage something with a zillion HP that's immune to almost everything, reflects dmg back at you, drips high dmg elemental attacks everywhere and knocks you back. Or, they've cheap shotted the player in a situation where he has no room to maneuver (think D2's Duriel in his original incarnation), or not enough time to escape (think walking around a corner into a group of barfing "demon dogs" in Diablo I in a cramped dungeon tunnel).

I'm not defending that per se, it's just how Condor/Blizzard North and now Blizzard think when it comes to enemies in Diablo.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1909 on: May 31, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 31, 2012, 01:50:15 PM

Quote from: The Grue on May 31, 2012, 01:33:18 PM

Did you have an authenticator on your account?  If it starts happening to those accounts, that is when I will worry.

No authenticator but I have a hard time believing I was hacked.  Between having my blacksmith lose levels and losing the items and inventory of ONLY a single character it doesnít add up.  It has also been reported by way too many people as evident by these threads: Link 1 Link 2
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: May 31, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »

Blackjack, I think the wild difficulty swings are part of the design. You're supposed to obliterate normal mobs just by looking at them (and if you don't you're in deep trouble). I love wiping out 10+ creatures with a single attack or having a massacre of 30+. That kind of thing makes your character feel powerful. But you have to always stay on your toes, because you never know what might be around the corner.

Some people play it and say it's boring, that they click stuff and it dies. I play and love it, because you click stuff and it dies. Then the corpses spew loot so you can eventually get better gear and click on harder stuff until it dies. Diablo is like the perfect distillation of Dungeons and Dragons: kill the monsters and take their stuff.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: May 31, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 31, 2012, 03:11:57 PM

No authenticator but I have a hard time believing I was hacked.  Between having my blacksmith lose levels and losing the items and inventory of ONLY a single character it doesnít add up.  It has also been reported by way too many people as evident by these threads: Link 1 Link 2

I looked at both those threads (though I didn't read the entirety of the first). No one in there mentioned anything about losing Blacksmith training. All those people sound like classic account theft victims.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: May 31, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »

+1 authenticator! I'm using the app for the iPhone. Simple and its easy to use. I wasn't going to, but I see no downside at all.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1913 on: May 31, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 31, 2012, 05:05:54 PM

No authenticator but I have a hard time believing I was hacked.  Between having my blacksmith lose levels and losing the items and inventory of ONLY a single character it doesn’t add up.  It has also been reported by way too many people as evident by these threads: Link 1 Link 2

I looked at both those threads (though I didn't read the entirety of the first). No one in there mentioned anything about losing Blacksmith training. All those people sound like classic account theft victims.
Yeah the blacksmith thing is unique to me as I posted above, however lots of people in that thread had their quest logs reset to the first mission on act one, which I also encountered.  There have also been a couple isolated reports of people experiencing the problem with authenticators now as well.  Personally, I had never joined a public online game and while I’ll admit it’s possible I was hacked I still find it unlikely.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:47:53 PM by Lordnine » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: May 31, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 31, 2012, 05:00:32 PM

Some people play it and say it's boring, that they click stuff and it dies. I play and love it, because you click stuff and it dies. Then the corpses spew loot so you can eventually get better gear and click on harder stuff until it dies. Diablo is like the perfect distillation of Dungeons and Dragons: kill the monsters and take their stuff.

I think you meant you click on "Search" not "corpses" since all the cool loot is in the AH.  Drops in my game are just for selling so I can buy the real gear from the AH.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: May 31, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »

Their quests are probably being set to act I to facilitate moving items to mules. If you have a link to a verified occurrence on an account with an authenticator, I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing that. I wouldn't put it past people to lie about having one, though.

Quote from: skystride on May 31, 2012, 06:07:18 PM

Quote from: Misguided on May 31, 2012, 05:00:32 PM

I think you meant you click on "Search" not "corpses" since all the cool loot is in the AH.  Drops in my game are just for selling so I can buy the real gear from the AH.

Well, I happen to love the AH. It's just a different part of the game for me. Yeah, it is unusual to find an upgrade for the character you are playing, but it is really cool when you do. Oscuros and I both had nice upgrades drop during act IV last night, which was awesome.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: May 31, 2012, 07:17:03 PM »

you're right, you probably won't hacked, you were phished a long time ago. with this many comprises this quick it's very obvious someone was holding onto these accounts waiting for blizzard to release diablo and MoP. Auths. are free, can get one for android,ios and windows phone or use winauth.
someday the old people in congress will make a law that comprising any account that holds personal information online is a federal crime, until then, blizzard accounts are more valuable than your bank account.

i started a wizard over the weekend, up to lvl 53. used the mortar trick to go from 30-40 in about 2 hours and blasted through nightmare. i'm enjoy my wizard way more than my witch doctor. my wizard is always lucky beyond belief with drops. my WD saw crap for random rares, my wizard finds them from trash mobs or barrels all the time. i found a legendary within 2 hours of starting her too. hope this carries into inferno!
next character will be a monk, which i might start before they fix the mortar thing, heh.

the AH is becoming an interesting meta game too. there's been a few hot trend that I jumped on and made a killing too
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: May 31, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »

I hadn't thought about the possibility that account info might have been phished ages ago before the game came out. Interesting thought. Perhaps Blizzard should have forced people with existing accounts to change their passwords when the game launched.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 31, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »

I definitely learned my lesson regarding the authenticator.  I had taken it off the day I cancelled WoW so that I didn't have to worry about forgetting to unauthorize my phone should I ever switch it and then have to wait for an hour on hold with Blizzard support to get it taken off (this has happened to me before).  So, took it off and then about a year later, my WoW account got hacked.  I hadn't played for a year so no keyloggers or anything would have been used at the time.  They must have gotten it way long ago and held onto it.  Got everything squared away, but I've had the authenticator on ever since as it seems to be the only reliable way to keep your account safe.  The odd thing is I'm not even sure how the people would have gotten my account info the first time.  I don't visit shady sites or porn sites or any of the usual avenues for this stuff.  I don't click on  links in emails.  I always wondered how they got it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1919 on: May 31, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »

Really sucks that the dial in authenticator doesn't work with Diablo III.  Short of buying the keychain thingy it's my only option.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: