http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 07:11:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 81859 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: May 24, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »

Picked this up off GAF - using boneweave hauberks to block mobs lol

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: May 25, 2012, 04:23:19 AM »

A couple questions regarding companions -
Does anyone know if they're bound by item level restrictions?  I'm level 15 and my Templar is level 13.  Can he use a sword that requires level 15?  Also, do companions you're not using gain any experience?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 25, 2012, 08:32:12 AM »

that's pretty awesome and cheap teg. lol
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 25, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »

been farming inferno the last few days. I think the biggest thing blizzard can do right now is make all items drop be at level 58-60. i found so many rares that were lvl 50, what?

why am i finding nightmare shit in an end game difficulty?

also, give witch doctors a mana regen. wizards are lol.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: May 25, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 25, 2012, 10:16:07 AM

been farming inferno the last few days. I think the biggest thing blizzard can do right now is make all items drop be at level 58-60. i found so many rares that were lvl 50, what?

witch doctors do have abilities that Regen mana and quickly I might add. Soul walk has a time but my favorite is using spiders with the widow maker rune.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 25, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 25, 2012, 08:32:12 AM

that's pretty awesome and cheap teg. lol

Someone posted another picture of the Butcher completely stuck in a corner surrounded by bone weave hauberks. Amazing, the things that get through QA.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: May 25, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »

Got to Act III last night...still absolutely loving D3.  Haven't played much MP, mainly because I'm so focused on getting through the story that I don't have any interest in running around in someone else's.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 25, 2012, 02:40:02 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 25, 2012, 02:12:16 PM

Got to Act III last night...still absolutely loving D3.  Haven't played much MP, mainly because I'm so focused on getting through the story that I don't have any interest in running around in someone else's.  smile
Yeah better enjoy that because in group games everyone's frantically clicking on Esc key or the 'X' on the dialogue screens to advance it cause they don't wanna sit through any story/dialogue again. It's like playing with a bunch of ADD patients (not that there's anything wrong with that in real life  icon_smile).

The storyline posits us as altruistic, save-everybody heroes, whereas the reality is we're all just a bunch of impatient, greedy, serial-demon-killers. What's the word?

Dichotomy
division into two mutually exclusive, opposed, or contradictory groups
Not so much a complaint, as an observation but hey, the latter is really what Diablo as a franchise is even if the storyline wants us to feel Noble. smirk

Somewhere around L36-L37, Nightmare started seeming too easy (aside from one or two certain immune type boss groups I occasionally run into)... it just takes a bit more running around, and some patience here and there. In retrospect, my one issue with Normal being so easy is you annihilate certain key enemies faster than they can even get their dialogue out. It looks silly.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 25, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 25, 2012, 02:40:02 PM

The storyline posits us as altruistic, save-everybody heroes, whereas the reality is we're all just a bunch of impatient, greedy, serial-demon-killers. What's the word?

I've been jumping between the different classes trying to settle on who I'm going to use for my first trip through the storyline.  Originally I thought I'd be using the Witch Doctor since I really like both the female voice actor and the "philosophy" of the character (the way she imparts wisdom to the Templar companion, etc.).

After playing some more, though, the power hungry mindset of the Wizard character and voice acting seems far, far more in line with the actual mindset of the gamer: impatient, greedy, serial demon-killers.  icon_wink
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 25, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 25, 2012, 02:12:16 PM

Yeah better enjoy that because in group games everyone's frantically clicking on Esc key or the 'X' on the dialogue screens to advance it cause they don't wanna sit through any story/dialogue again. It's like playing with a bunch of ADD patients (not that there's anything wrong with that in real life  icon_smile).

I have actually started up a Barbarian (now level 20) that I only play alone because there were enough times I missed conversations and things in my first run through. Exploring all maps and trying to find all books and conversations with that character. It's a nice change of pace when Nightmare gets to be a little too stressful.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: May 25, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »

In retrospect, my one issue with Normal being so easy is you annihilate certain key enemies faster than they can even get their dialogue out. It looks silly.  icon_razz

I love that!

"Silly human, you will never defea"BARBARIAN SMASH!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:21:00 PM by Teggy » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1811 on: May 25, 2012, 05:13:27 PM »

BJ - my Wizard has broken more things, and taken more items that doesn't belong to him than any of those demons. 

I'd be remiss if I didn't point that out.

I have saved the villages of the world of countless wealth.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: May 25, 2012, 05:16:08 PM »

I actually was finding Nightmare almost too easy of late.

My DH is now using mostly:
-Mark of Death>Valley of Death rune (to cut the hardier Nightmare enemies down to size)
-Caltrops>Jagged Spikes (a lot of Nightmare enemies are Fast, and this helps whittle HP down too),
-Chakram>Twin Chakrams or Razor Disc (to dmg large groups quickly)
-Rain of Vengeance>Dark Cloud (to wear down large groups or tough targets over time)

In terms of LMB/RMB attacks, recently switched to:
LMB: Bola Shot>Acid Strike (now shoots 3 poisonous bola shots but no longer explodes)
RMB: Rapid Fire>Withering Fire (still sticking w/ that rune because of the reduced hatred consumption)

I thought I'd be using Strafe and Multishot more, but I just don't find them quite fast enough right now dmg-wise (could change w/ later runes) for what I'm encountering in Nightmare. Have found running around a lot and letting Rain of Vengeance and Caltrops whittle things down and then finishing off with LMB/RMB attacks seems most efficient, for now.

And, sigh, I got in trouble again at work for chronic tardiness. Hadn't happened since late beta/early launch of SWTOR. Damn me and my gaming addictions!  icon_redface I'll work on it. I never had the chutzpah to blame it on SWTOR or now D3, it's really just me. I just need to develop a willpower.  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:19:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 25, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 25, 2012, 03:28:07 PM

I've been jumping between the different classes trying to settle on who I'm going to use for my first trip through the storyline.  Originally I thought I'd be using the Witch Doctor since I really like both the female voice actor and the "philosophy" of the character (the way she imparts wisdom to the Templar companion, etc.).
The more I play the WD the more I can see that this class was a labor of love for the designers.  From the unique skills and spells, to the armor and off-hand mojo items, to the voice acting and dialogue.  They did a great job fleshing out a class concept that I wasn't remotely interested in when they first announced it. 

I agree that the female WD has good voice acting and writing.  It reminds me a little of the difference between playing a character from any of the other vampire clans in Vampire Bloodlines, and then playing a Malkavian.  Both characters speak with the same meaning, but you have to actually think about the malkavian dialogue.  I'm playing a Barbarian at the same level, and he may say something like, "He's almost dead."  The WD will say, "He already has one foot in the Unformed Lands."  Not a huge deal, but I really appreciate the creativity and effort to make it a unique class experience.  I was worried early on that she might be a little too granola-spirity in her dialogue, but that's not the case.  She has an unemotional, detached calmness to her killing and dialogue that works for me.  I find the Barbarian to be just a little cheesy...but hey, it's the Barbarian, he has to cheese a little.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: May 25, 2012, 06:48:38 PM »

Does the male WD have bad voice acting or something?  I just rolled one but haven't played yet.  
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: May 25, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 25, 2012, 06:48:38 PM

Does the male WD have bad voice acting or something?  I just rolled one but haven't played yet.  

He sounds like a nice, old grandpa.  Pappy should be your character name.

EDIT: I have a level 41 WD male.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 25, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 25, 2012, 06:49:30 PM

Quote from: skystride on May 25, 2012, 06:48:38 PM

He sounds like a nice, old grandpa.  Pappy should be your character name.

EDIT: I have a level 41 WD male.

I named him in honour of this guy:

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 25, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 22, 2012, 02:09:17 AM

Quote from: Roguetad on May 21, 2012, 11:57:32 PM

Quote from: morlac on May 21, 2012, 11:41:26 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on May 21, 2012, 05:39:27 PM

I ran into something that made me smile the other night while exploring the desert in Act 2.  I listened to a very funny journal entry of cult member that reminded me immediately of the the well written (and hilarious) journal entries of beastman#xxxx from Titan Quest.  The guy who wrote them would post on OO or here?  He was even recognized by the TQ developers at some point.  I think the writers for D3 were heavily inspired by his creativity...and by heavily I mean copied  icon_razz

http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/threads/3903-I-Beastman!-A-Titan-Quest-AAR

That's the link to the origin of the Beastman letter smile

Yes I belive he did post here and OO under the same name.
That's it!  Thank you.  Always a funny read.

I knew they added those journals to IT, but I never knew until now that they also added Beastman #783 to the game as a random rare mob.

Always nice seeing these get dusted off and trotted out again. You can find the whole series as well as the Titan Quest Lich series and the Age of Conan snake series here: http://beastman-archer.livejournal.com/  Entries are in reverse order.

And, while I don't know if it's completely true, I do like to think that my AAR had some sort of ripple effect on action RPGs that ultimately led to Diablo 3 NPC journals smile

I briefly entertained the notion of doing a Diablo 3 one. Steeping into the Highlands and getting attacked by goatmen made me think that I'd somehow strolled out iof Diablo and back into Titan Quest. One of those Goatmen archers looks a tad familiar...

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 25, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 25, 2012, 05:16:08 PM

-Mark of Death>Valley of Death rune (to cut the hardier Nightmare enemies down to size)
-Caltrops>Jagged Spikes (a lot of Nightmare enemies are Fast, and this helps whittle HP down too),
-Rain of Vengeance>Dark Cloud (to wear down large groups or tough targets over time)

LMB: Bola Shot>Acid Strike (now shoots 3 poisonous bola shots but no longer explodes)
RMB: Rapid Fire>Withering Fire (still sticking w/ that rune because of the reduced hatred consumption)

Thanks for posting this.  I started using it and really like it.  Between my better armor and this skill set, my Nightmare is going better now.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 25, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 25, 2012, 07:51:59 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on May 25, 2012, 05:16:08 PM

Thanks for posting this.  I started using it and really like it.  Between my better armor and this skill set, my Nightmare is going better now.

Just beat nighmare, though can't go to Hell yet as only level 49.  I find Elemental Arrow with the Ball Lightning rune to be the most hatred efficient skill in the game.  Good damage ratio and nice size AoE.   The range is also quite far but they travel slow.  For boss fights Stun Grenades seem to be the way to go though I generally don't like to carry them when just running about and till prefer Hungering Arrow there.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 25, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »

Ah, fellow DHs.  icon_cool What kind of passives are you two using? Just curious.

With that setup I mentioned above, I'm using:
-Numbing Traps -- decreases incoming dmg 25% from from targets that are slowed (not limited to Caltrops, but that's mainly how I'm slowing stuff). Basically to improve my survivability in Nightmare.

For the other two, I always feel obligated to use:
-Vengeance: Increases hatred max 25, and adds 20 hatred/2 discipline whenever you're healed by a health globe. Who can pass that up?  icon_smile
-Archery: bonus dmg or critical dmg (depending on type of ranged weapon(s) you use).

I liked Thrill of the Hunt (every 10 secs, next bow attack immobilizes the target) and Cull the Weak (15% dmg buff against slowed targets), but I generally feel like in Nightmare I need those above 3 passives more. I might experiment a bit this weekend though.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 25, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »

Am I the only unlucky bastard on this forum that has yet to get a legendary drop?  I'm 44 now and have yet to see one.  Anyone else unlucky or do you have to play on better than Nightmare to get them?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 25, 2012, 10:27:33 PM

Am I the only unlucky bastard on this forum that has yet to get a legendary drop?  I'm 44 now and have yet to see one.  Anyone else unlucky or do you have to play on better than Nightmare to get them?

almost 50 here and none.  I have Legendary bad luck with drops in almost any gmae though.  (granted, I did get the gibbering gemstone first time through which apparently people are farming for hours to get. Shame I don't care about it)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 25, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »

I've had one, a fist weapon, which I immediately handed to Oscuros for his monk, since it wasn't going to do my Witch Doctor any good.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 25, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 25, 2012, 10:27:33 PM

2 x 40 toons and no Lengendary drops for me.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 25, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »

32 Monk, and a few other's much lower...........Nothing yet.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 26, 2012, 12:26:28 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 25, 2012, 09:16:55 PM

Ah, fellow DHs.  icon_cool What kind of passives are you two using? Just curious.

With that setup I mentioned above, I'm using:
-Numbing Traps -- decreases incoming dmg 25% from from targets that are slowed (not limited to Caltrops, but that's mainly how I'm slowing stuff). Basically to improve my survivability in Nightmare.

For the other two, I always feel obligated to use:
-Vengeance: Increases hatred max 25, and adds 20 hatred/2 discipline whenever you're healed by a health globe. Who can pass that up?  icon_smile
-Archery: bonus dmg or critical dmg (depending on type of ranged weapon(s) you use).

I liked Thrill of the Hunt (every 10 secs, next bow attack immobilizes the target) and Cull the Weak (15% dmg buff against slowed targets), but I generally feel like in Nightmare I need those above 3 passives more. I might experiment a bit this weekend though.

I run pretty different.  Archery as that does seem too good to pass up, then Tactical Advantage and Perfectionist.  The speed boost after I smokescreen or vault is hard to give up.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 26, 2012, 03:33:44 AM »

Well, finished "normal" tonight with a lv-32 Monk. I don't know how others found the big battle at the end (Diablo)but I finished him off fairly easily without a death. With those health-wells there and my fire-ally, I didn't really feel like I was pressured at all.
I ended up with what seems to be pretty good gear. Mostly yellows with good gem placement. I felt good with my skill set up which was a good reward for willing to keep changing it up to find the best combo for me. I never got stopped by one boss all the way through normal, and if not for my lapse in concentration I doubt I would have died at all.
I'm seriously looking forward to Nightmare, and I hope I have to keep alert all the way through it.

Monk is a very fun class to play. A bit generic at times, but never lacking in skills that are very useful.
Now that I can continue levelling up crafting it should add some more fun.

Wondering now what class to put some time into. Definetly have had a good taste of melee, will try one of the range classes next.

I haven't looked at another game since this came out. Worth the loonies for sure.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 26, 2012, 04:14:26 AM »

Question, I decided to try out the wizard tonight and was getting beat up early on, until I got a 2 handed blue ax from a chest at around level 5 and decided what to heck i'll equip it and see what happens.  Well after I did this I was pretty much one shotting everyting with my magic missle.  I thought that was odd and re-equiped my starter wand and sure enough I was back to having a tough time.  Is this the way it's suppose to work?  I equip a 2 handed ax that has better DPS than my wand an even though I'm not actually using it to kill anything it makes my spells more powerfull?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 26, 2012, 04:22:36 AM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on May 26, 2012, 04:14:26 AM

Question, I decided to try out the wizard tonight and was getting beat up early on, until I got a 2 handed blue ax from a chest at around level 5 and decided what to heck i'll equip it and see what happens.  Well after I did this I was pretty much one shotting everyting with my magic missle.  I thought that was odd and re-equiped my starter wand and sure enough I was back to having a tough time.  Is this the way it's suppose to work?  I equip a 2 handed ax that has better DPS than my wand an even though I'm not actually using it to kill anything it makes my spells more powerfull?

For wizards, everything item or weapons is a stat stick. Since magic spell damage is based of 100% Weapon damage. Don't worry, things will be harder once you start juggling all your runes

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1830 on: May 26, 2012, 04:31:28 AM »

Lv 44 and still no epic item for me. Terrabad luck.

I've tossed ALOT of my pure STR gear in favor of triple mixed stats gear.
Health is up to 8k and resistances are up to 29.

Sword and board feels seriously weak, but between revenge, war cry, and frenzy all funneling health back to me in one way or another, I'm at least slowly moving forward on.
Had to toss the damage and crit passives in favor of armor % increase and ranged/spell damage reduction.

Gonna eat your face
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: May 26, 2012, 05:52:39 AM »

FFS, why does every rare item I find or craft only have pluses to Int and Dex?  My barb has all rare items equipped, but not a single one of them adds anything to Str.   icon_evil

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: May 26, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »

btw Mik, love the avatar  ninja
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: May 26, 2012, 08:34:20 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on May 25, 2012, 01:06:19 PM

Quote from: jersoc on May 25, 2012, 10:16:07 AM

witch doctors do have abilities that Regen mana and quickly I might add. Soul walk has a time but my favorite is using spiders with the widow maker rune.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

you can not use VQ in inferno, if that's what you mean. if you keep 4 skills on CD for no reason other to regen mana you are dead. you also can't spam bears anymore. I'm 60, i've played my WD for over 80 some hours. I know about all the VQ builds.

a range of emotions...

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:36:04 AM by jersoc » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: May 26, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »

This is interesting, but as I found from trying Diablo wannabes on my iPod Touch, tapping repeatedly on the screen just isn't as fun as mouse clicking.  icon_razz

Playing Diablo III on a [Windows 8] Tablet
http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/playing-diablo-iii-on-a-tablet

Had a pretty awesome, lengthy 4-player session with Namatoki and co. last night. Got a truly awesome magic hand crossbow. I'll share a pic in screenshots later. It's a good 40+ more max damage than any other bow of any type I've found in game so far (I've not bothered with the AH to this point).

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: May 26, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »

Got a great amulet from a buddy and grouped up with some friends to take down azmodan.  Got so many good yellow drops I now now have 600 damage and almost 4k in health at level 30.  I respecced for health regen and ran about in the dungeon for a while to compare how well I would do solo.  I am barely getting half way down in life before all the health regen stats kick in and I'm back up to full again. Should be good through act 4 now. 

It seems that going dual wield is much better than 2h or S&B just due to the additional gem slots and boosted dmg output, at least for now. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: May 26, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »

What's the point of WD pets in Nightmare+?  They die almost instantly.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: May 26, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 26, 2012, 03:58:55 PM

Which pets? Not Gargantuan I hope. Zombie dogs die damn near instantly in Normal act 2, so that's certainly not shocking.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: May 26, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 26, 2012, 04:50:29 PM

Which pets? Not Gargantuan I hope. Zombie dogs die damn near instantly in Normal act 2, so that's certainly not shocking.

I beat Nightmare last night in a four player game and was using my WD with pets.  My pets lived through most fights.  Are you using the passives to boost your pets' health and damage reduction?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: May 26, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »

Quote from: namatoki on May 26, 2012, 05:05:14 PM

Quote from: Misguided on May 26, 2012, 04:50:29 PM

I beat Nightmare last night in a four player game and was using my WD with pets.  My pets lived through most fights.  Are you using the passives to boost your pets' health and damage reduction?

I thought so, my hp is at 12k at level 43.  I thought they scaled off of vitality and defense?  Not sure what my defense is atm.

Also, I've been going solo, maybe that's the problem.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: