http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 02:51:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 95705 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:30 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 22, 2012, 06:26:13 AM

I'm presuming multiple casts won't stack the effect, as it would be overkill.

Quote from: Abaddon on May 22, 2012, 04:53:52 AM

Witch Doctor "Haunt" skill is essentially a DoT (damage over time) that will jump to an additional target if the original dies within a given amount of time AND there is another target within close proximity. Base damage is fairly big, around 575% of weapon IIRC, however it's spread over about 12 seconds. You can modify it with runes to return life or mana as it ticks or reduce the time it ticks for a much quicker kill etc. etc.

You can only cast one instance of it on an enemy, but you can cast it on multiple enemies at the same time.  What's nice about it is that you can cast it on any enemy anywhere, and it will infect them, regardless of the distance or obstructions between you and your target.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 22, 2012, 10:17:56 AM »

hit 60 and inferno level last night. took a while for me and a wizard to kill diablo. i think we went through like 8 different skill sets before we got him. we basically just kited him. now that i read he can be stunned, well this is going to be easier lol

i still can't decide on a build for WD. I really, really hate relying in vision quest. I think our low mana issues need some serious attention. having to have 4 skills on CD to actually use attacks is beyond stupid. It's not even viable in inferno, basically need spirit walk for the get out of death in less than a second. if that's on CD you're gonna die, a lot. Pets are lol, as usual they don't scale. No fucking game gets this right, ever. it's 2012 people. I think we're beyond this, yes? Scale pets to player or gear. Here blizzard, i'll do your homework. Scale with our int or vit.  give them like 30% more dmg with int and 30% more hp with vit(or whatever makes sense, i have no clue their hp pool but it might as well be 1 for all the good it does).

if the damn servers weren't down I could be messing with all sorts of stuff right now.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1722 on: May 22, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »

Hit Act 4, but making no further progress with my Demon Hunter at level 30. I'm stacked on dexterity, probably way too much for my level, but I'm thinking she's just not the class I like to play in the end, despite being interesting early on.

The boss I'm fighting now has a teleport attack that kills me in 1 hit if my HP is just 1/4 down. It's pretty much unavoidable other than to have enough HP to survive or have lighting reflexes. Looks like I'll need to find some vitality armor pieces.

And honestly, how I'm doing loot now is I only pickup magic loot, then sell most of it that isn't a direct improvement, give away anything that my friends can use, then use the auction house to buy what I need.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:12:04 AM by Turtle » Logged
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 22, 2012, 12:41:07 PM »

Great game as Diablo is my all time favorite game(s).  This is the 1st game I actually went to a midnight release.  One thing I was thinking about last night is about the real money AH.  Is there anything in place stopping someone from buying something from the gold AH and then throwing it on the real money AH to make a real profit?
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: May 22, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »

Major gripe time:

Itemization is just beyond screwed up.  I had an Orange (Legendary) level 10 two-handed Monk weapon drop (Daibo) and I equipped it...briefly. After a minute I went back to my two blue fist weapons. What a frigging waste.  So I looked at the AH and at some posts online and it seems to be screwed across the board.

A lot of the magic in the Diablo series was having that new Green/Gold item turn up that you generally knew was going to be an upgrade over the blue you were holding. Opening your inventory to look at it was like opening a Christmas present. Occasionally you got socks, but other times you got the new awesome GI Joe with the Kung-Fu Grip. Looking for that next special color to flip up kept a lot of people playing just a little bit more (or a lot more). With itemization this screwed, that magic is lost and the game is really diminished.

I'm still having fun, having polished off Act III, but I hope they get some of this stuff sorted out soon.  Of course, knowing Blizzard, it'll take forever and a day to get fixed.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: May 22, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »

For those complaining about Diablo removing points allocation in attributes, you can still do that with gear.  If you want a STR-heavy sorceress, put STR gear on him/her.  I guess I don't see how you can't still do this, but just in a different way.

Also, with runes, the highest rune for a skill isn't necessarily the best...just different.  For instance, on my DH, I am using a lesser one because it has a slow on it and ignoring the higher ones (for now).  Just because you get a new rune, you don't have to use it (unless it fits with what you're trying to accomplish) and, at least for the DH class, each rune will have some differentiation.

Also, hopefully everyone knows about Elective Mode (mentioned several times in this thread), because that addressed my only complaint of only being able to use one skill from each type.  Now that I have that on, I can customize to my heart's content.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: May 22, 2012, 02:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 22, 2012, 01:43:18 PM

Major gripe time:

Itemization is just beyond screwed up.  I had an Orange (Legendary) level 10 two-handed Monk weapon drop (Daibo) and I equipped it...briefly. After a minute I went back to my two blue fist weapons. What a frigging waste.  So I looked at the AH and at some posts online and it seems to be screwed across the board.

A lot of the magic in the Diablo series was having that new Green/Gold item turn up that you generally knew was going to be an upgrade over the blue you were holding. Opening your inventory to look at it was like opening a Christmas present. Occasionally you got socks, but other times you got the new awesome GI Joe with the Kung-Fu Grip. Looking for that next special color to flip up kept a lot of people playing just a little bit more (or a lot more). With itemization this screwed, that magic is lost and the game is really diminished.

I'm still having fun, having polished off Act III, but I hope they get some of this stuff sorted out soon.  Of course, knowing Blizzard, it'll take forever and a day to get fixed.

Generally the yellow and oranges just have more bonus effects, which doesn't always make something better. I can live with that. I get what you are saying, but I don't agree with the severity of it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: May 22, 2012, 02:49:46 PM »

My take so far on itemization (I agree it just seems "off"  confused)
*With some exceptions, most of my favorite stuff has been socketed magical items. At times I've even just used "plain" bows/xbows that simply had good damage and a "+" bonus on the maximum damage.
*I keep running into lots and lots of rare stuff with mediocre modifiers that largely seem useless. I don't even bother with the AH on them.
*Are there any "set" items in the game? If so, I've yet to see any. Maybe like Legendaries they're only in the higher difficulty levels?
*Honestly, I feel like there's just too much loot in the game, and too much of it is useless junk, or "rares" that don't live up to the title. I would've preferred "less, but better" loot myself.

I'm sure Blizzard would say loot is the whole point of the game, so why would they reduce the loot. It's just sometimes I feel more like a garbage pickup worker cleaning up the side of a road of broken beer bottles, cigarette butts and moldy banana peels, desperately hoping to find something valuable, rather than an adventurer.  icon_neutral

Hopefully I'll feel differently after progressing further in Nightmare mode and getting the pages to do the next level of crafting, but that's my current take through Normal, fwiw.
======================
I'm enjoying the monk but I kind of enjoy all the attacks so the struggle is limiting myself to a few.

At first I thought Seven-Sided Strike's animation was too fast for me to enjoy. Then I realized if you used it on a spread out bunch of enemies (rather than a clump on top of you), your whatever it is (holographic projection? Shadow?) flies to the disparate targets in a way where you can better enjoy the animation.  icon_smile It makes me think of The Flash in comics, or perhaps Silver Bullet in Irrational's Freedom Force.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: May 22, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »

It drives me nuts that the monk animation doesn't use the weapons he has equipped. I know it's silly, but it seems lame to be using a 2 handed monk staff and as soon as you swing it it appears as if it's strapped to his back.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: May 22, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 22, 2012, 03:56:03 AM

Loving my current build at level 28. I swapped out my Spider Queen for Acid Cloud, which I like to drop after the grasping hands. I also use the Bad Medicine passive so good synergy there (acid=poison). I also dropped firebats for Haunt, so I now have a much more mana efficient ability to use especially on big targets. Gargantuan, the exploding skull thingy, and mass confusion round out the list. At 29 I will try swapping out confusion (which is a panic power I rarely use) for Wall of Zombies.

Between the new build and some new equipment, I am melting groups and having a blast. Not real clear on how haunt works, I need to use it some more.

Quote from: Roguetad on May 21, 2012, 09:29:49 PM

The WD is like a walking mage utility knife, with lots of options for dealing with encounters.  I'm currently going nuts with a pet build using the Gargantuan, Zombie Dogs, and I throw out the queen spider.  I'll use Grasp of the Dead to slow down the pack or boss, and then Poison Dart until dead.  Almost everything I use poisons baddies, so combined with the Bad Medicine passive, that's a 20% damage reduction to everything my team of decaying weirdos touches.  I like blowing up my dogs against champion packs, and then resummoning them right away.  I liked Dire Bats too, they clear out clusters of bad guys quickly.  The pet setup I'm using now probably won't work well in higher difficulties, but it's fun in normal.
I've been trying out the locust swarm spell, which is very cool how it bounces to different enemies for good damage, I just don't like the short range.  I've also been experimenting with the self healing rune options for Haunt and Soul Harvest.  I can see the potential there for healing, but it doesn't seem necessary yet for Normal.  I think the best aspects of both Haunt and Soul Harvest are their runes to either replenish mana or health.  I just added Hex to my skill set, the little shaman dude is funny.  I haven't had a chance to see him in action yet.  Looking forward to seeing how he works.  

Is Acid Cloud a good ranged aoe option?  I don't use any of the Decay skills yet.  I was dissapointed with the range of Zombie Charger, and Posion Dart seems way more effecient to use than Spirit Barrage.  
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: May 22, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 22, 2012, 03:40:27 PM

Is Acid Cloud a good ranged aoe option?  I don't use any of the Decay skills yet.  I was dissapointed with the range of Zombie Charger, and Posion Dart seems way more effecient to use than Spirit Barrage. 

Acid Cloud is great! I've got the first rune in, which makes the area larger. It is a targeted AoE. My WD is a co-op character with Oscuros' monk. He uses the ability that pulls stuff in toward him and I drop the acid, which is also helping him out by debugging all their damage. We were running through the fortress in the start of Act 3 yesterday and quarters were really cramped. Often I couldn't even see what we were fighting but with this, I didn't have to.

One other thing I like compared to firebats is that the damage from it applies much more quickly (not waiting for the bat to move across screen). It also pairs beautifully with the grasping hands. I follow up with exploding skulls for anything that isn't already dead, or if there's a big nasty, drop haunt.

I also didn't care for the charger when I tried it (like firebats with crappy range...ehhhh). I don't think I've even tried spirit barrage.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:14:07 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: May 22, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 22, 2012, 04:12:18 PM

Is Acid Cloud a good ranged aoe option?  I don't use any of the Decay skills yet.  I was dissapointed with the range of Zombie Charger, and Posion Dart seems way more effecient to use than Spirit Barrage. 

Acid Cloud is great! I've got the first rune in, which makes the area larger. It is a targeted AoE. My WD is a co-op character with Oscuros' monk. He uses the ability that pulls stuff in toward him and I drop the acid, which is also helping him out by debugging all their damage. We were running through the fortress in the start of Act 3 yesterday and quarters were really cramped. Often I couldn't even see what we were fighting but with this, I didn't have to.

One other thing I like compared to firebats is that the damage from it applies much more quickly (not waiting for the bat to move across screen). It also pairs beautifully with the grasping hands. I follow up with exploding skulls for anything that isn't already dead, or if there's a big nasty, drop haunt.

I also didn't care for the charger when I tried it (like firebats with crappy range...ehhhh). I don't think I've even tried spirit barrage.
I just tried Acid Cloud, and as you said, it's good!  I dropped Hex, since the shaman seems to take awhile to figure out what's happening, and often times just stands there.  I put Haunt on my right mouse click with the 2nd rune, and it moves around quickly, especially when I'm dumping acid on their heads.  Such a cool class.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: May 22, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »

Much like a barbarian leap, summoning a giant floating head that barfs acid all over my enemies is something I could do thousands of times and never tire of.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: May 22, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 22, 2012, 04:46:59 PM

Quote from: Misguided on May 22, 2012, 04:12:18 PM

I just tried Acid Cloud, and as you said, it's good!  I dropped Hex, since the shaman seems to take awhile to figure out what's happening, and often times just stands there.  I put Haunt on my right mouse click with the 2nd rune, and it moves around quickly, especially when I'm dumping acid on their heads.  Such a cool class.

Hex is awesome.  It works on Elites and even non-giant bosses.  Also has a few good runes, though I've been sticking with the heal rune for now. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: May 22, 2012, 05:25:38 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 22, 2012, 01:51:25 PM

For those complaining about Diablo removing points allocation in attributes, you can still do that with gear.  If you want a STR-heavy sorceress, put STR gear on him/her.  I guess I don't see how you can't still do this, but just in a different way.

Also, with runes, the highest rune for a skill isn't necessarily the best...just different.  For instance, on my DH, I am using a lesser one because it has a slow on it and ignoring the higher ones (for now).  Just because you get a new rune, you don't have to use it (unless it fits with what you're trying to accomplish) and, at least for the DH class, each rune will have some differentiation.

Also, hopefully everyone knows about Elective Mode (mentioned several times in this thread), because that addressed my only complaint of only being able to use one skill from each type.  Now that I have that on, I can customize to my heart's content.

This was discussed a lot, but for discussion's sake we have to differentiate customization from specialization (or individualization if you want to call it that).  There is no denying D3's system allows for a vast amount of customization, particularly once you've "unlocked" every possible runeskill at lvl 60.  But there is no true "specialization" in the sense that I can choose to enhance a skill/runeskill at the expense of not enhancing another.  So for instance if I committed max points (or max level rune in the original D3 system) to the runeskill Sentry (with rockets, forget the name), I could lay down 3 sentries where someone who didn't could only lay down one.  It's a game-changing type of philosophy, but it's the kind of thing that made D2 character builds so special.  Again, the original system they laid out for D3 gave you BOTH customization AND specialization, it's a shame they couldn't make it work.  Honestly I believe if they simply reduced the total number of skills/runeskills per class (let's face it there are some duds in every class, and others that could be consolidated), they could have made the system work without being too overwhelming.

Likewise, the question on attributes is why take that freedom away?  Yes of course you can try to use gear to do something similar, but allocating points each level would give you that much more individual control over it, and more importantly that might allow you to do something different with gear.  As an example, let's say I'm playing in HC mode and am dedicating all my given attribute points to vitality and dexterity at a 4:1 ratio for survival sake.  Now when I evaluate gear I have more freedom, I don't have to strictly focus on +vit, clearly +dex is always gonna be big but I can also look more freely for other specials like +dmg or +attack speed, etc.  The attribute points per level give you a known steady stream of specialization capabilty completely under your control, it's not the same as doing it by gear, it's a supplement.  
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: May 22, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »

I have found Diablo Wiki interesting because it's like this very snarky "fan site" that's often critical of Blizzard. They do point out Blizzard's justifications for dropping a manual attributes system (rightly or wrongly):

http://www.diablowiki.net/Attributes#Blizzard.27s_Response
The D3 Team never issued a formal, multi-point rebuttal, but they have commented on this issue a few times, being careful not to give away their plans for stat customization via systems, such as gems, traits, and the talisman, that they weren't yet ready to reveal.
========================
Jay Wilson: For the most part attribute spending in Diablo II was a great way, when you didn’t know how to play the game, to break your character. Most people didn’t know where to put them and when they found out the answer was always kind of weird like "Put 5 points in Energy and then all the rest of the points in Vitality."

The longest comment came from D3 Community Manager Bashiok who offered a detailed argument in a forum post in December 2008.

Loss of character customization:
With the current skill system, runes, and item affixes, as well as other unmentionables, there’s not going to be any issue with not having enough customization. If there is, bottom line, we’ll add more. We’re not going to release a game we’re not happy with, and a lack of character customization options would make us unhappy. But, even right now we have a lot more variety and ability to customize a character than Diablo II had.

Odd character builds:
Similarly is being able to create “off-spec” builds, or characters that aren’t just cookie cutter ideals of the class you’re playing. This is important to the game, and we will ensure that it doesn't get "tuned out" of the game. ...Manual attributes were not what made them possible in Diablo II. The ability to make these types of characters relies solely on the complexity and diversity of the the options available to steer your character, and not that they come in the form of a "+" button.

Less feeling of level up achievement:
        The loss of a feeling of a leveling achievement is actually something we recognize and intend to address.

We've always assigned our own points in Diablo games:
    The nostalgia of simply having points, and spending them on base stats is probably the most difficult. Liking something because it’s familiar is difficult to argue with, but it’s also probably the easiest to overcome.

Since we can’t force your memories out of you, we just have to make the best game we can and hope you realize that manual attribute assignment isn’t the best, most engaging or entertaining form of character customization possible, and that we’re offering an even deeper and richer game without those buttons.
==========================
Though this issue continues to emerge in comments and forum posts, the Diablo 3 team has shown no inclination to undo their changes to this aspect of the game.
I guess I'm just a wishy-washy compromiser, but I feel like there was some way to keep manual attributes-assigning in there as an Option so you know, everyone could be happy, right?

But the fact is, Blizzard doesn't believe in the manual assigning of attribute points period for D3, so I don't think anyone (not even the Mighty Blackjack the Compromiser  icon_razz) could convince them they needed to put that back into the game.

Still, if you want to hold out hope, the fact they removed the requirement to go through the entire campaign in Normal to unlock Hardcore mode seems to show their willingness to change, even if their forum posts/interviews say otherwise.

*Off the attributes topic, I would still like some ability to save a hotkey-skills set up and be able to quick-switch. Yes, even if that meant all my re-assigned skills needed a 5 second cooldown or whatever. I like the customizability, but trying to remember my favorite set ups becomes a second job.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:30:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: May 22, 2012, 08:12:30 PM »

Well, I was enjoying Nightmare mode until Act 2, when suddenly it got stupid hard for me.  Gotta figure out a good skill combo or something, but later, because I am too angry right now.  Dying over and over isn't much fun. frown

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: May 22, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »

I think the trick to nightmare is to not go it alone.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:28 PM »

I haven't been this giddy over a game in a LONG time. It's all I think about.. Today is my anniversary and I'm trying to think of what to cook for dinner. Something that makes her sleepy...so I can play more! slywink
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »

Quote from: DonD on May 22, 2012, 09:39:42 PM

I think the trick to nightmare is to not go it alone.

Sounds like that's more and more the case especially for the higher difficulties.  Not real cool since not everyone wants to group.  I've had good success with the WD in Nightmare, but I have 6 AIs with me when I do that.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: May 22, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »

This game is becoming one of my all time favorites.  I never really liked these type games too much.  Enjoyed Diablo II, beat it once but never got through the expansion.  Never beat the original Diablo, or any clones such as Titan Quest, etc.  But this one I have a Barb and DH going - the Barb in the middle of Act II, the DH in Act I.  Couldn't decide if I liked sharing the stash, but I love it now.  I have my barb always thinking of his little DH sister - he saves any DH loot just for her.

Few observations:
-No matter what dungeon it is, no matter which character I'm using, I always run into the stairs down or exit crystal first which means backtracking to complete the dungeon.  Every time!  I will swerve this way and that through corridors desperately trying to avoid the exit until I finish the level, but EVERY TIME I run into the exit!  Drives me crazy.

-Rapid Arrow for DH is probably the best invention since the wheel.  I love letting loose and shooting like Jesse Ventura in Predator with the mini-gun.  Set some caltrops down first and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.  I tried the invisibility ability, but doesn't hold a candle to caltrops.  MY DH is only lvl 9 or 10.

-Whirlwind for Barb is a close second for best invention.  Has made the game extremely enjoyable!

-The scoundrel is my favorite supporting actor in games of all time (off the top of my head).  His short quotes have more character and depth than supporting actors in other games who have hours of dialogue.  Then talking with him about his background floors me.  Great voice-over.

-Sold something in the auction.  Got about 500 gold.  Pretty cool.  I'm new to anything like this - never even knew other games had auction houses, so I'm very much like a tourist in NYC staring at all the tall buildings.  Amazed at the asking prices for some items worth less than my item but asking for thousands more.

-I refuse to look at skills I am not eligible for until it becomes active when I level.  The extreme joy or disappointment adds a lot to my enjoyment.  

-I can't wait to read the art book and watch the dvd, and even crack open the strategy guide - but I'm waiting to win the game once beforehand.

-Blizzard cannot make an expansion fast enough!
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: May 22, 2012, 09:51:49 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 22, 2012, 09:43:28 PM

I haven't been this giddy over a game in a LONG time. It's all I think about.. Today is my anniversary and I'm trying to think of what to cook for dinner. Something that makes her sleepy...so I can play more! slywink

Same thing here!  I blew off meeting friends the other night to play, and I love when my wife went out with her friends so I didn't feel bad hiding in the office playing.  Today I stayed home sick from work and was excited!  I feel like crap, but I managed a few hours of play time.  In all honesty I'm still sick as shit and will most likely stay home again tomorrow; that's how bad I truly feel and I'm damn excited to stay home and play! 

Happy Anniversary by the way!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: May 22, 2012, 09:55:24 PM »

How do you guys figure out what price to set on yellows?  Is there an easy way?  Like take vendor price and multiply by a factor of k or something?
VictorGrunn
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: May 22, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »

There's no set price just for being yellow. In general, everyone gravitates towards core stat + vit. Generally price around 2-10k, maybe check for comparable items in that class. Price low/to sell fast, since you only have 10 auction slots, and for all but the choicest gear it's a buyer's market.

I didn't check the thread, but just flat out sell crappy blues/yellows to merchants rather than breaking them down, if no one mentioned yet. Last I checked you could buy a stack of crafting mats for dirt cheap. Similar with paying to combine many gems versus straight up buying them.

As for nightmare, I managed to largely solo it (even soloed Diablo) on it as a DH. Main thing is good build and being sure to get the best gear in the sub-10k range off the AH. I know that upgrading my gear led to really dramatic differences, for about 25k total spent.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: May 22, 2012, 11:06:39 PM »

Ok, so I got the game.  Is there any reason to craft?  Considering the sheer number and availability of items available on the AH, I find it hard to believe that I'll ever have a need for anything I can craft.  Can crafted items approach legendary items in power?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: May 22, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 22, 2012, 07:27:31 PM

I guess I'm just a wishy-washy compromiser, but I feel like there was some way to keep manual attributes-assigning in there as an Option so you know, everyone could be happy, right?

But the fact is, Blizzard doesn't believe in the manual assigning of attribute points period for D3, so I don't think anyone (not even the Mighty Blackjack the Compromiser  icon_razz) could convince them they needed to put that back into the game.

Still, if you want to hold out hope, the fact they removed the requirement to go through the entire campaign in Normal to unlock Hardcore mode seems to show their willingness to change, even if their forum posts/interviews say otherwise.

*Off the attributes topic, I would still like some ability to save a hotkey-skills set up and be able to quick-switch. Yes, even if that meant all my re-assigned skills needed a 5 second cooldown or whatever. I like the customizability, but trying to remember my favorite set ups becomes a second job.  icon_razz

I think what frustrates me the most is they pretty much did a 180 on fans, and then used BS posturing like what Blackjack posted earlier to justify it.  At one point they were going on and on tooting their horn about how many variations were possible in the (original rune) system.  Then (presumably after they realized they couldn't pull it off), Bashiok issued this quote:

We all subscribed to the idea that in an RPG you build a character, there's an investment in those choices, and that makes the game fun. We do not believe that to be true for these two games any longer, it may make total sense for another game, but for ours it does not.

So suddenly a major part of what most players considered a fundamental part of RPGs and the Diablo series, they decided (for everyone) was no longer fun?  

Luckily the rest of the game is so well done I'm willing to overlook my bitterness, but every now and again while playing, I still imagine how much better it could have been.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: May 22, 2012, 11:33:18 PM »

I think overall in a game like D3 where there is tremendous repetition, I prefer the ability to completely change my guy around like we have it.  If we were assigning stat points on level up I could be stuck with a guy that has a deficit that can't be overcome with gear alone.  The way it is now it's much, much harder to gimp yourself and definitely impossible to do permanently.

don't overestimate the capabilities of the average person, there are people in Hell difficulty that still have no idea about elective mode
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: May 23, 2012, 03:34:58 AM »

I was having trouble with
Spoiler for Hiden:
Belial
on nightmare, so I figured rather than struggle, I would jump into a public game. Got into a room of four, we tore our way up to the boss, figured this will be great, over in a few minutes.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Breezed through the first half then got to the second part. Here's where it went sideways. When Belial sticks his hands in and turns the ground into poison, these guys aren't getting out of the way. Suddenly it's me running around reviving everyone, after which they just die again. First time we eventually wipe, second time these guys start dropping out while I'm running around rezzing their dumb asses over and over.

I freely admit to not being very good at video games, particularly pc games, but at least I'm not plain stupid.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: May 23, 2012, 03:56:41 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 22, 2012, 11:12:35 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on May 22, 2012, 07:27:31 PM

*Off the attributes topic, I would still like some ability to save a hotkey-skills set up and be able to quick-switch. Yes, even if that meant all my re-assigned skills needed a 5 second cooldown or whatever. I like the customizability, but trying to remember my favorite set ups becomes a second job.  icon_razz

I think what frustrates me the most is they pretty much did a 180 on fans, and then used BS posturing like what Blackjack posted earlier to justify it.  At one point they were going on and on tooting their horn about how many variations were possible in the (original rune) system.  Then (presumably after they realized they couldn't pull it off), Bashiok issued this quote:

We all subscribed to the idea that in an RPG you build a character, there's an investment in those choices, and that makes the game fun. We do not believe that to be true for these two games any longer, it may make total sense for another game, but for ours it does not.

So suddenly a major part of what most players considered a fundamental part of RPGs and the Diablo series, they decided (for everyone) was no longer fun?  

Luckily the rest of the game is so well done I'm willing to overlook my bitterness, but every now and again while playing, I still imagine how much better it could have been.

So what in your mind fixes it?  Can you only respec in town, does it cost money to respec, do you remove respecs entirely and go back to the early D2 days where if you wanted to try a different build you built a new character?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: May 23, 2012, 04:26:55 AM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on May 22, 2012, 09:51:49 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 22, 2012, 09:43:28 PM

Same thing here!  I blew off meeting friends the other night to play, and I love when my wife went out with her friends so I didn't feel bad hiding in the office playing.  Today I stayed home sick from work and was excited!  I feel like crap, but I managed a few hours of play time.  In all honesty I'm still sick as shit and will most likely stay home again tomorrow; that's how bad I truly feel and I'm damn excited to stay home and play! 

Happy Anniversary by the way!

Thx much, and all joking aside she had no problems with me chillin out play d3 for hrs. It's better than me being stuck at work at the bar after work. See video games are good for relationships!
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: May 23, 2012, 05:32:16 AM »

Blizzard obviously can design their game any way they wish, however saying that it's necessary to remove the ability for players to assign attribute points for their own good (i.e. broken character builds) is pretty lame and border-line insulting. Essentially this person is saying as a gamer I am too stupid or inept to figure out the "correct" way to build my character.

There is an insane amount of information available about every minute detail of Diablo 2 in regards to character builds and game mechanics, is there some reason Blizzard feels the same level of OCD-like attention to detail will not be forth-coming for Diablo 3 or that prospective D3 players are all unfamiliar with Google/Wiki?

How about a simple respec mechanic, even a severly limited one, that allows a player to adjust their characters attribute points at one or two points along their characters progression to fix any game breaking mistakes the dev's are so certain we are all going to make.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: May 23, 2012, 06:06:25 AM »

I think what some of you are missing is that the removal of skill point allocation actually allows deeper build design. Rather than having to throw all of your points into a couple of skills, you get to pick 6 that you love, that work for your style, and know they are going to be effective. I can understand why some people don't like the change, but there are some definite positives to the new method.

No, you don't make meaningful long term choices, but it is fun to swap things in and out and try new approaches. My biggest beef is the decreased need to make alts, but I guess the focus will be more on playing through the higher difficulties.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: May 23, 2012, 06:26:52 AM »

I don't miss attribute allocations at all.  I'd rather spend my time on other things, like different skill builds.  I can still have a major impact on stats by what type of gear I use.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: May 23, 2012, 07:07:44 AM »

So far, after playing a bit off all but one class, the demon hunter, I love the new skill system. Very flexible. As always as of recently I won't sleep much tonight. After playin my monk with my buddy, I'm off to give my barb some attention!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: May 23, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 22, 2012, 08:12:30 PM

Well, I was enjoying Nightmare mode until Act 2, when suddenly it got stupid hard for me.  Gotta figure out a good skill combo or something, but later, because I am too angry right now.  Dying over and over isn't much fun. frown

Upgrade your gear.  Made a HUGE difference for me. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »

Put me in I like the way D3 is set up.  Cool two WD in the group and he's using Gargantuan I'll use Big Bad Voodoo and switch my passive to match.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: May 23, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »

Here comes the NERF stick....

BOON OF PROTECTION HOTFIX - 5/22
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271780011#1
We're in the process of removing the on-use benefits of the Mantra of Healing rune, Boon of Protection. The hotfix change is:

Amount of damage absorbed is now capped at the amount of healing provided by Mantra of Healing in the first 3 seconds after activation

We recommend discontinuing its use until the rune is replaced with a new rune and mechanic in a future patch.

The Boon of Protection rune was approximately ten times over its budget on the benefits it provided, and it was quite simply a mistake on our part to let the rune ship as it was. We don't intend to take these quick and drastic measures often, but considering the severity of the issue, we felt it important to correct it swiftly.

We're shooting to post a full list of recent hotfixes tomorrow, and will be looking to answer questions once that's live.
Now this same sort of thing happened post-D2 launch (Strafe was awesome at launch and was hammered and patched into being "just another skill", for example), but I imagine given how complicated the rune stuff is, we'll see anything "too good to be true" to be gradually hotfixed back into "intended effect."

Bashiok had another post about "investigating" class balancing:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271780011?page=11#216
Let me follow up by saying that in general class balance is an ongoing investigation, and by no means do we believe the game is now perfect, but we're also seeing evidence that supports (with a few nerfs to wizard and demon hunter) the monk and barbarian are not as bad off as they seem.

A large part of the monk and barbarian designs are based on survival models that mimic the concept of the class itself. The idea of a monk is that he survives through being agile and difficult to hit, and his healing and survival scales particularly well by focusing on mitigation stats like dodge, resists, and armor. The concept of the barb is that he survives through a huge health pool, and healing himself through damage (%life on hit stats), which is potentially a bit obvious with all the life return skills but can't be overstated.

The game is young, there were some skills that threw things out of whack, and we expect the landscape to settle out a bit more evenly. Or at least change again so we can continue to monitor the impact. Maybe we're wrong, maybe there's no current chance for monk or barbarian to compete with ranged, but our current suspicion is that's incorrect and until we know for sure we're not going to turn any dials.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 23, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 23, 2012, 10:53:39 AM

The problem is I am getting shitty drops that I can't use.  Can you tell me what you focused on for gear?  I am playing a DH and seem to always get barbarian and witch doctor loot.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1758 on: May 23, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 23, 2012, 02:07:03 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 23, 2012, 10:53:39 AM

The problem is I am getting shitty drops that I can't use.  Can you tell me what you focused on for gear?  I am playing a DH and seem to always get barbarian and witch doctor loot.

Then sell the loot to barbarians and witch doctors and buy something you like at the AH. That's what it's there for. smile It seems pretty clear to me so far that the loot drops have been designed for use with the AH in this game. In Diablo 2 you would almost always find useful loot for your class and build, but in Diablo 3 you have no such guarantee.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: May 23, 2012, 02:29:04 PM »

The AH is a bit crazy right now.  I am finding it difficult to find any gear that is an upgrade that isn't 100,000 gold or more.  My level 40 Witch Doctor has about 35,000 gold on him, so my options are really limited.  I am not looking forward to trying to kill Belial on Nightmare.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: