http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 12:10:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 105120 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: May 20, 2012, 10:09:25 PM »

I'd gone close to 10 hours without a disconnect, but got hit with 4 in the space of 20 minutes this afternoon.  Was frustrating, but seemed to pass and I logged another hour with no problem.

So far, I've played a Barb to 20 and a Monk to 10.  I like the Barb much better as a melee character.  His attacks just feel more visceral, and he can clear a room like nobody's business.  

TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: May 20, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »

Is it possible to "share" the blacksmith?

I play 99% of my time with a partner, and 50% with a third person.  Is it possible for all of us to pour our resources into leveling the smith on 1 character?  This way, we level him up faster.  And if person A wants an item, he simply gives the gold and mats to person B (the one with the leveled smith), to craft the item for person A?
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: May 20, 2012, 10:30:57 PM »

You could have them buy something from you, trading you all their gold in the process. Then you level your smith up as high as possible and craft items for them as needed.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: May 20, 2012, 10:33:59 PM »

Gratch, imo its worth leveling the monk up to compare. I feel pretty much opposite what you are saying about the barb and monk. I am digging the monk, but the barb much less so!

Playing with a guy who has his monk in the high teens, he seems much more durable and has higher dps than my barb of the same level.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: May 20, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »

I have a Monk in the mid-twenties, and with the right load-out I'm pretty much a major wreaking ball.
Of course maximizing the load out to fit your play style, and the use of a follower who compliments that, is crucial.
But I've found one for now that makes this Monk the king of the hill. A whole mess of fun the monk is Luke.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1685 on: May 21, 2012, 01:46:47 AM »

I've read posts where people are barely dying at all in Normal mode and I've died about 20 times, am I that bad?  Most of my deaths have came later in ACT 3 and Act IV, and some in ACT IV's were one hit kills.   

I'm really enjoying the game and I've played about 3 characters so far and enjoy each one.  DH makes the game feel more like a shooter at times.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: May 21, 2012, 02:05:32 AM »

Quote from: shon on May 21, 2012, 01:46:47 AM

I've read posts where people are barely dying at all in Normal mode and I've died about 20 times, am I that bad?  Most of my deaths have came later in ACT 3 and Act IV, and some in ACT IV's were one hit kills.   

I'm really enjoying the game and I've played about 3 characters so far and enjoy each one.  DH makes the game feel more like a shooter at times.
sounds like you ignored vitality.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: May 21, 2012, 02:36:19 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 21, 2012, 02:05:32 AM

Yeah, vitality is always my deciding factor in swapping out gear.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1688 on: May 21, 2012, 02:42:31 AM »

Quote from: TheGameAh on May 20, 2012, 10:29:13 PM

Is it possible to "share" the blacksmith?

I play 99% of my time with a partner, and 50% with a third person.  Is it possible for all of us to pour our resources into leveling the smith on 1 character?  This way, we level him up faster.  And if person A wants an item, he simply gives the gold and mats to person B (the one with the leveled smith), to craft the item for person A?

this much makes me really happy that the crafters are account persistent.  I have my smith up to level 4 and also leveled the jeweler once.  having access to those two with my lower level char really helps out.

I also have a rule for salvage vs sell.  anything under 50 bucks (at level 20) gets salvaged.  I have over 50 of the basic item and at least a dozen yellow crafting items already and have crafted a handful of things so far.  I have been keeping my smith leveling up to match my level so as soon as I can use a crafted item, it's ready to go.

Quote from: Arclight on May 21, 2012, 02:36:19 AM

I keep 5 items with me whenever I go to fight a boss.  they add almost 1k in health to the barb which puts me almost to 3k (at level 24).  it's pretty much the best way to fight them as they tend to have a lot more hp to knock down.  otherwise I keep a higher DPS set on for mobs. 

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1689 on: May 21, 2012, 03:18:12 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 21, 2012, 02:36:19 AM

Well I went back in after a break and finished the game on normal, I had about 45 minutes left and just died once so maybe I was just getting some tough spawns earlier.
I will have more vitality for the next play through, thanks.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: May 21, 2012, 03:43:17 AM »

One tricky thing is the stats that seem unimportant are actually helpful for some things. Like Intelligence apparently determines your Resistances, and Strength can give armor bonuses, which I just didn't know cause I hadn't bothered to hover my cursor over the various stats. Now I'm trying to mix in a little Intelligence just to get a modicum of elemental/poison etc. resistances in place, cause I noticed my couple characters were taking a beating from stuff like poison.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: May 21, 2012, 03:53:09 AM »

I just had my first "you're playing hardcore, moron!" moment. Playing my barbarian (level 15 I think?), just feeling OP smashing the crap out of everything. Head into Leoric's Manor dungeon and leap total Hulk style, across a gap into the middle of a group of mobs with a purple boss in the middle. That'll teach me icon_lol

In other news, my level 42 demon hunter is now over 10K HP. Still feels a bit squishy tho frown. Had to stop using the 2500 HP potions because they hardly put anything back in my pool. smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1692 on: May 21, 2012, 04:28:48 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 21, 2012, 03:43:17 AM

One tricky thing is the stats that seem unimportant are actually helpful for some things. Like Intelligence apparently determines your Resistances, and Strength can give armor bonuses, which I just didn't know cause I hadn't bothered to hover my cursor over the various stats. Now I'm trying to mix in a little Intelligence just to get a modicum of elemental/poison etc. resistances in place, cause I noticed my couple characters were taking a beating from stuff like poison.

Ah, good to know.  My barbarian definitely takes some massive damage from poisons, and in fact the only death I've had so far was from being in the middle of three of those trees that drop poison pods.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: May 21, 2012, 04:40:05 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2012, 03:53:09 AM

I just had my first "you're playing hardcore, moron!" moment. Playing my barbarian (level 15 I think?), just feeling OP smashing the crap out of everything. Head into Leoric's Manor dungeon and leap total Hulk style, across a gap into the middle of a group of mobs with a purple boss in the middle. That'll teach me icon_lol

In other news, my level 42 demon hunter is now over 10K HP. Still feels a bit squishy tho frown. Had to stop using the 2500 HP potions because they hardly put anything back in my pool. smile

quit getting hit, you're a DH  ninja
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1694 on: May 21, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »

For some reason I keep getting disconnected every hour or so, and it's really damn annoying since I lose significant progress each time. 

Just now, even though I had completely cleared out a dungeon level, gone back to town and done some crafting for new weapons and then gone back to the dungeon, I got set back to the beginning of that level without my gear.  I could even see my new axes on the character select screen but when I went back in they were gone.   icon_evil

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: May 21, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »

Well, for good or bad, my sister didn't cancel the gift preorder from Christmas and Amazon finally got around to delivering D3 on Saturday, so I'm in.

I've always enjoyed playing Diablo solo and so that's how I've decided to roll for now. I've had bad experiences with Diablo multiplayer, so that's not something I want to tackle at this point. I picked the Monk, largely because that's what I played in AD&D and in the Baldur's Gate games. The story/voice acting/cut scenes are good, graphics ok, atmosphere generally fine, voice acting ok, some of the skills are interesting, etc. I'm deep into Act III, so obviously I spent a fair amount of time with it yesterday and it was generally pretty fun. It's Diablo. Again. Welcome back my old friend.

But I guess that's the concern. It doesn't feel like anything is new. It's Diablo. Again. I've basically been sleepwalking through the first 3 Acts while using the fairly simplistic skill system to mix things up occasionally. Hell, I wasn't even using the supposedly overpowered melee skill for the Monk (Crippling Wave) because I didn't need to - the whole thing has been pretty much a cakewalk. The one death was my stupidity - running headlong into 50 or so mobs, 3 of whom can Jail you, is a good way to get killed. The crafting hasn't produced much interesting yet. So I'm wondering if the game has any long-term legs for me. Will I want to play again after winning with my Monk? Will I want to try a harder difficulty? Will a new class keep me interested? I'm not sure. One of the main things that Diablo I had going for it was that it was randomized, so the dungeons were always different. I'm not sure how much I'll miss that in a future D3 game. I got months of game play from the original Diablo. The Jury is out whether or not I'll get weeks from D3. We'll see. It's Diablo. Again.

I avoided the messy launch issues on Tues/Wed, which is good. Those were some of the same issues I experienced back during the Beta - interesting how those same things cropped back up on release. I did experience a bit of ghosting and warping, which is annoying as hell. Nothing like beating on a mob right next to you, seeing his health bar never go down and then seeing that mob warped 15 feet away from you a few seconds later. But that's been really the only issue, which is a welcome change from the issues seen in beta and many people encountered during release.

TLDR version; fun for now, we'll see about the future.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: May 21, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »

Normal is generally too easy overall.  Things are a lot better in Nightmare and you have to pay a lot more attention to what's going on and what the mobs are etc.   I sort of wish they added a boost class to level 30 and in nightmare once you beat normal once with one character so you didn't have to go through normal again with a different class, especially where the first 10-15 levels are so straightforward with limited skill selection.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: May 21, 2012, 03:20:02 PM »

To be fair, most of the beta D3 criticism wasn't "this is just more of the same." It was "Why are you guys trying so hard to be different when Diablo II was already perfect?" It's much like the response to Firaxis' X-COM Enemy Unknown game not being a perfect duplication of the 1993 original.

To me so far, it seems like what's now labeled "Normal" should've been labeled "Easy," and recommended for "players new to the genre," although I ran into some tough spots in in the second half of the game. In most cases, I just needed to move around more, or re-think my skills/runes a bit for a given situation. But if you tried to tackle what's now labeled "Nightmare" with Starter Gear, you probably wouldn't get very far.

Maybe it should've been (with some balance adjustments):
-Easy (current Normal; with an option to skip it)
-Normal (current Nightmare, maybe tuned a bit to give you decent enough starter gear not to get waxed by the first zombies you encounter)

In the end, imho, they set Normal with the idea of accommodating players new to the genre. Which is fine, but a game with "III" in the tile is going to draw a lot of veteran players who want a challenge right away. Making them plow through 20-some odd hours of mostly cakewalk for each class, to get to the real challenge, seems a bit much.

I think because you can change skills/runes easily on the fly, there isn't much enticement (better or worse) to develop multiple class types from scratch. In D2 I'd have a "bow Amazon," and a "javelin Amazon," and I developed each from L1 as new characters. I don't see myself doing that here. I see myself doing one of each class and getting them as far as I can.

That's fine by me. I just think the "free form" skills system of D3 no longer encourages you to develop several iterations of one class (alts, if you will), and some folks may miss that.

Having done numerous 3-person and 4-person teams over the weekend, for me that's where it really becomes a blast. I'm eager to get some teams going on the tougher difficulties too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:22:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: May 21, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »

On the funner side, I can share how I liked to set up my Demon Hunter in the late Normal game.

I think this is how I usually had the hotkeys assigned (sometimes mixing up for certain bosses and situations):

Mouse Buttons

LMB: Hunger Arrow>Cinder Arrow or Scatter Shot rune
RMB: Rapid Fire>Withering Fire or Web Shot rune

Keys:

1: Grenades>Tinkerer (doubles hatred gen) or Cluster Bombs rune
2: Elemental Arrow>Ball Lightning or Frost Arrow rune; often 'no rune' worked well on bosses
3: Strafe>Equilibrium (attack speed buff) or sometimes Drifting Shadow (movement buff) rune
4: Multishot>Fire at Will [cuts hatred use in half] rune (I tried Burst Fire but didn't see much benefit from its shock pulse effect)

Rain of Vengeance is awesome, but given the 30-sec cooldown, I found it most useful for "camped" entry portals and certain situations where you might not want to try to aim while you're running around. Cluster Arrow I haven't used much, perhaps I will in Nightmare.

Chakram, Caltrops, Turrets etc. are all things I use now and then but for the most part I was happy just being a walking bow artillery guy.  icon_cool So for my play style it's been helpful to have runes that cut down on hatred consumption (Fire at Will for example), or increase hatred generation (Tinkerer).

The "Bat" pet increases hatred regeneration but I'm a little too impatient.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:36:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »

I ran into something that made me smile the other night while exploring the desert in Act 2.  I listened to a very funny journal entry of cult member that reminded me immediately of the the well written (and hilarious) journal entries of beastman#xxxx from Titan Quest.  The guy who wrote them would post on OO or here?  He was even recognized by the TQ developers at some point.  I think the writers for D3 were heavily inspired by his creativity...and by heavily I mean copied  icon_razz

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: May 21, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »

Posted on OO too, but does anyone have a guest pass they could send my way? Thanks!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: May 21, 2012, 05:52:21 PM »

Hark and I ran into a random guy in one of the early areas who invited us into his house. What happened inside was really funny. Haven't run into that guy on any of my other characters, but I'm hoping there are more random events like that.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1702 on: May 21, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2012, 05:52:21 PM

Hark and I ran into a random guy in one of the early areas who invited us into his house. What happened inside was really funny. Haven't run into that guy on any of my other characters, but I'm hoping there are more random events like that.

Was that
Spoiler for Hiden:
the spider guy?

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 21, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »

Hark and I ran into a random guy...who invited us into his house.
Generally I would decline that proposal in any other setting, but not D3, because there could be loot in that house!   
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: May 21, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 21, 2012, 06:12:20 PM

Hark and I ran into a random guy...who invited us into his house.
Generally I would decline that proposal in any other setting, but not D3, because there could be loot in that house!  

Or maybe some booty.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 21, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 21, 2012, 06:02:28 PM

Was that
Spoiler for Hiden:
the spider guy?

Hm, no, that's not it. I'll spoiler it in case you want to be surprised:

Spoiler for Hiden:
He invites you in to meet his wife, who turns out to be a skeleton. Her head falls off and he says something like, "oh sorry, she seems to have nodded off."

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1706 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »

Oh yeah, I saw that one last night as well.  Kind of funny, in a
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bates Motel
kind of way

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: May 21, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »

WDs have a rune upgrade for Acid Cloud called "Lob Blob Bomb".  Arrested Development reference thumbsup

I've played a WD, DH, and Barb to Act 2 Normal (levels 20, 21, 18 respectively).  They're all good so far in normal, with the Barb being the most straight forward visceral fun, the WD being more in the middle for complexity and options, and the DH requiring the most situational awareness and active prep/thought. Comparing the same encounters in Acts 1&2 playing those classes, Blizz did a nice job balancing the strengths of each class.  For example, just when I'm getting tired of running around trying not to get swarmed playing the DH, she will mow down a boss in half the time of the WD and Barb.  Or an encounter that I had to think through with my DH I just jumped into with the Barb and wrecked everything. 

The WD is like a walking mage utility knife, with lots of options for dealing with encounters.  I'm currently going nuts with a pet build using the Gargantuan, Zombie Dogs, and I throw out the queen spider.  I'll use Grasp of the Dead to slow down the pack or boss, and then Poison Dart until dead.  Almost everything I use poisons baddies, so combined with the Bad Medicine passive, that's a 20% damage reduction to everything my team of decaying weirdos touches.  I like blowing up my dogs against champion packs, and then resummoning them right away.  I liked Dire Bats too, they clear out clusters of bad guys quickly.  The pet setup I'm using now probably won't work well in higher difficulties, but it's fun in normal.     

Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: May 21, 2012, 11:35:35 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 21, 2012, 07:27:22 PM

Oh yeah, I saw that one last night as well.  Kind of funny, in a
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bates Motel
kind of way

Yes, I saw that one last night too.  Funny.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: May 21, 2012, 11:41:26 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 21, 2012, 05:39:27 PM

I ran into something that made me smile the other night while exploring the desert in Act 2.  I listened to a very funny journal entry of cult member that reminded me immediately of the the well written (and hilarious) journal entries of beastman#xxxx from Titan Quest.  The guy who wrote them would post on OO or here?  He was even recognized by the TQ developers at some point.  I think the writers for D3 were heavily inspired by his creativity...and by heavily I mean copied  icon_razz

http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/threads/3903-I-Beastman!-A-Titan-Quest-AAR

That's the link to the origin of the Beastman letter smile

Yes I belive he did post here and OO under the same name.

morlac00 on PSN
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: May 21, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »

Quote from: morlac on May 21, 2012, 11:41:26 PM

That's it!  Thank you.  Always a funny read.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 22, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »

Still absolutely loving this game! For me, coop is the real star of the show, while playin alone is still fun as I've done that quite a bit as well..I see several replays in my future..
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 22, 2012, 01:23:50 AM »

OK, here comes my initial review post finishing Normal and having started HC and NM.  There are some things that might be considered minor spoilers, so don't read it if you are at all concerned about such things.  Certainly there's nothing as spoilerific as the game does itself when it announces you are about to fight a boss lol.

After a full weekend of dancing with the devil, so to speak, I'm here with some detailed first impressions.  A friend of mine asked me for a review, but I don't feel I've actually played enough to give a truly informed one.  Not to mention my bias on this game is so strong, it's bound to be tainted by my own eccentricity.  It bears repeating that I consider Diablo 2 my favorite game of all time for any platform, and the ARPG genre is my favorite type of gaming.  With that in mind, I'll try to make it clear what points I think are important for different kinds of audiences.

So first off, from an overall gaming standpoint, forgetting about genre/sequel/nitpicks, Diablo 3 is an absolutely amazing experience.  If you are the type of player that is solely interested in "beating" the game once by yourself in its normal difficulty, you will still be treated to a vast array of classes, skills, environments, cutscenes creatures and more loot than you can shake a stick at.  If you take your time and stop to see the sights, I believe the single run through will net about 15-20 hours of gameplay, and bring your character to the early 30 range.  The 5 classes to choose from all play out very differently, and the game also changes dramatically depending on whether you are solo or with others.  As a solo game, Blizzard has enhanced the "follower" to a great degree; you can "unlock" (naturally through the storyline) 3 different class followers, basically a paladin-type (templar), caster (enchantress) and rogue (scoundrel).  Each comes with its own set of abilities, and you can control a limited amount of their inventory (weapon, rings, amulets, special item).  This makes playing a solo caster or ranged shooter (demon hunter), much more palatable, since you can employ a "tank" to soak up damage and attention while you pluck away.

The story follows the events of D2 20 years later, and fans of the game will be treated to many of the same/similar locations, as well as characters and references to characters from D2.  None of this is mandatory, but it certainly adds to the spice and nostalgia.  Speaking of which, any D2 player will be immediately at home with the sound effects and music, and will find throughout the game plenty of locations that are almost dead ringers for ones in D2 - except now with a gorgeous graphical update with tons of incredible detail.  I'm not entirely certain whether to applaud them for re-using so many basic locations or criticize them for not being creative enough to come up with new ones, but the fact is any D2 fan would be hard-pressed to not be engaged by a complete re-vamp of their favorite D2 spot.  For me personally it was the Sewers of D2-Act 2, where I spent many an hour grinding and grinding away, particularly in NM mode.  I don't remember exactly when they show up in D3 (I think also Act 2), but I was just amazed at how gorgeously detailed and improved they had designed them, while still retaining the nostalgic feel of the original.  There are similar nostalgic spots from D2 reminiscent of spots from Acts IV and V, as well as the jail from Act I, the Arcane Sancutary, the Maggot's Lair, etc etc.  What's important to note here is not just the nostalgic and artistic value, but that virtually every location has been tweaked enough so as to not cause the occasional irritation/frustration that its counterpart did.  Maggot's Lair is probably the best example; the D3 version (I forget the name) has the same twists and turns and spooging eggs and poisons, but not the single file horribleness that would have everyone stuck all over each other.  Ditto to the basic length and complexity of each area/zone; some parts of D2 can become really tiresome when searching for a waypoint or location, but in D3 it's been refined enough so that that feeling of "are we there yet?" rarely (almost never) occurs.  This is not to say it's that much easier than D2, but just better structured for more fun.  I can honestly say there isn't a single area to my recollection that I wouldn't mind re-visiting.

But I digress; back to the storyline.  Many people laugh when you talk about story in the Diablo series, myself included.  But D3 has stepped it up a notch with an engaging plot involving devils and angels and the humans they use in their games.  There are a couple of decent "twists" that actually caught me off guard so I applaud that.  Voice acting is OK for the most part, though some of the accents are a bit over the top.  The remaining story presentation is masterful, with a combination of in-game cutscenes, drawing-like narrated overviews, and, as is expected of the series, amazing animated sequences between acts.  This is some of the best animation I've seen in any format; the detail on peoples' faces is remarkable, as is the action and overall quality.  Like D2, the end comes all too soon and a bit abruptly, but its capped off with a nice concluding animation, and I'd wager the majority of fans will move right on to either creating a new character or starting anew in Hardcore or Nightmare modes.

Gameplay is likewise fantastic.  The action is fast and furious, and is very class/skill dependent.  My demon hunter is constantly on the run, shooting, stunning, raining, exploding damage all over the field.  The monk on the other hand literally teleports deep into the heart of a fight, pounding again and again for maximum damage.  The witch doctor blends the use of pets and spells to stay alive.  Throughout Normal, the game can be a little too easy (particularly some of the later bosses which didn’t put up the kind of fight one might have expected), especially in a good group, but for the most part, it all comes across very satisfying.

The loot is a mixed bag.  I miss seeing more set and unique pieces, but on the bright side, the crafting system is excellent, and forces you to choose between selling items for cash or salvaging them for parts.  Every time you make a new piece, it’s like the old gambling system which allowed you to get a certain number of random attributes.  Except here you are guaranteed at least an item of some baseline quality, so it’s never a total waste if you choose a base stat (armor or damage) that is going to be an upgrade.  Very very fun system, and also creates an inherent money and item sink.  Speaking of which, because of the new crafting system, gold is handled much better than it is in D2.  There always seems to be use for it, whether to upgrade crafters, buy items from vendors, buy crafted items, and of course to buy items from the Auction House.

So from an overall standpoint, you might say everything in D3 is an upgrade from D2.  Graphics, storyline, environment, crafting, use of cash, content, action/gameplay… everything has been optimized and improved from the D2 experience.  But there’s just one (not so) minor detail I saved to discuss.  The skill system.

Many of you know I was very much against the semi-last-minute changes Blizzard made to their skill system.  It seemed like a major slap in the face to fans who loved the class/build specialization that was so simple but elegantly complex in D2.  In D3, the originally advertised system was different, but potentially even more complex, and I for one was really excited about it.  Each of about 20+ skills per class could be slotted with one of five different rune types, and each rune type would have a scale of 5 different power levels.  The amount of variation in this system was staggering, and the producers hyped it up as such.  This was important to players like myself, especially since they had already announced they were removing the player’s ability to specify attributes.  Instead, an auto-level system does attributes for you when you level.  Why?  Apparently Blizzard thinks gamers are too stupid to do it themselves and may break their characters by mistake.  What they forgot or decided to ignore is that many players enjoyed doing exactly that, putting a ton of strength or vitality on a sorceress, for instance.  There are plenty of reasons someone might want to do things like that, even if it might be considered “fringe” or sub-optimal.  

In D3, this has been more or less removed.  Apparently the skill system they wanted to go with was just too difficult to implement or balance, and they replaced it with the numbingly dumbed down system that made it to release.  Here we are spoon-fed new skills and skill variants (what used to be the rune slots) every level. Once we’ve “unlocked” it, we can slot the skill into 1 of 6 slots and use it at will, then mix and match whenever we feel like.  Their is no real commitment to any skill, nor much of a sacrifice to swap.  The skills themselves may scale with your weapon damage, but they never alter in basic effect.  This is where the real disappointment lies, though most I believe will ultimately choose to overlook it.  In D2, I could specialize in something like Valkyrie, turning her from a one hit wonder to a legitimate tank, but I'd have to really put enough points in, which meant sacrificing those points on something else.  Or I could put points into specific traps or pets that I liked, so that I might be able to lay more down or summon extra of something.  In D3 there is no sacrifice or choice to make to enhance a skill like this.  Once you get it, you get it in its final form and there doesn’t appear to be any way to change that.  It’s really unfortunate because they missed the opportunity to make this possibly the greatest ARPG system ever conceived.  The original system would have still given players freedom and access to all the runeskills, but would have also allowed players to specialize through the use of the most powerful rune drops.  I believe the original intent was to have skills scale with these runes, very much in the way D2 did it, i.e. power level 5 rune would allow you to summon 5 zombie dogs instead of 3.  It could have been the best of both worlds.

Anyway, I chalk it up more to a missed opportunity than anything else.  The game still plays incredibly fun and addictive, and that’s obviously very important.  I think they missed out on delivering a superior system that would have prolonged the game’s longevity even further, but there’s no way to ever know that.

If I had to give it a number, I’d say ignoring my personal bent on the skill system, the game is a solid 98.  Taking into account the “missed opportunity” maybe more like a 91.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 22, 2012, 02:09:17 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 21, 2012, 11:57:32 PM

Quote from: morlac on May 21, 2012, 11:41:26 PM

That's it!  Thank you.  Always a funny read.

I knew they added those journals to IT, but I never knew until now that they also added Beastman #783 to the game as a random rare mob.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 22, 2012, 03:56:03 AM »

Loving my current build at level 28. I swapped out my Spider Queen for Acid Cloud, which I like to drop after the grasping hands. I also use the Bad Medicine passive so good synergy there (acid=poison). I also dropped firebats for Haunt, so I now have a much more mana efficient ability to use especially on big targets. Gargantuan, the exploding skull thingy, and mass confusion round out the list. At 29 I will try swapping out confusion (which is a panic power I rarely use) for Wall of Zombies.

Between the new build and some new equipment, I am melting groups and having a blast. Not real clear on how haunt works, I need to use it some more.

Quote from: Roguetad on May 21, 2012, 09:29:49 PM

The WD is like a walking mage utility knife, with lots of options for dealing with encounters.  I'm currently going nuts with a pet build using the Gargantuan, Zombie Dogs, and I throw out the queen spider.  I'll use Grasp of the Dead to slow down the pack or boss, and then Poison Dart until dead.  Almost everything I use poisons baddies, so combined with the Bad Medicine passive, that's a 20% damage reduction to everything my team of decaying weirdos touches.  I like blowing up my dogs against champion packs, and then resummoning them right away.  I liked Dire Bats too, they clear out clusters of bad guys quickly.  The pet setup I'm using now probably won't work well in higher difficulties, but it's fun in normal.     

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:59:29 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 22, 2012, 04:07:20 AM »

I have been playing a DH, and am currently 41 in Act II on Nightmare.  I'm getting bored because DH seems too easy.  Using Smokescreen runed for longer duration, and Preparation, it's easy to avoid all damage in a fight. Couple that with my lucky drops and him somehow having 1500 DPS already, it's not very difficult.  Act boss fights are the only time I have to conserve Smokescreen and use it smartly.  The rest of the time I just charge around invulnerable.  So I am thinking of starting a new character.

I avoid the forums, since they are a whine fest, so any of you who have played a Witchdoctor past Normal, what are your thoughts?  I know all the classes are good on Normal, and Nightmare, but from what I understand their weaknesses start showing in Hell and Inferno.  I would like a challenge, but not an adventure in hopelessness.  I am also debating a Wizard, but the DH has bored me of the glass cannon type of play. 

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 22, 2012, 04:44:03 AM »

Any class can feel easy if you are overlevelled fwiw.  41 in Act II of Nightmare is a bit overlevelled.  Just keep going and you'll find your challenge.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: May 22, 2012, 04:53:52 AM »

Witch Doctor "Haunt" skill is essentially a DoT (damage over time) that will jump to an additional target if the original dies within a given amount of time AND there is another target within close proximity. Base damage is fairly big, around 575% of weapon IIRC, however it's spread over about 12 seconds. You can modify it with runes to return life or mana as it ticks or reduce the time it ticks for a much quicker kill etc. etc.

My biggest complaint so far with the overall game, which was also touched upon by Ritt, is the lack of specialization. In Diablo 2 I like playing a Sorcerer heavily specced in Ice. While the Diablo 3 Wizard does have cold based attacks you cannot really "specialize". Diablo 2 had like 9 active Ice type skills and 1 passive where as D3 has a total of 3 plus one rune mod for another non-cold skill that adds some cold effects. I enjoyed dumping tons of points in to one or two skills like traps or pets to see the effect and definitely miss that level of customization in D3. I know there are tons of ways to loadout your characters skills to make them "unique" but the reality of this type of design is there will most likely be one or two acceptable/succesfull builds for Hell/Inferno (if you dont want to die over and over).
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: May 22, 2012, 04:56:36 AM »

At level 60 it looks like it would be possible to still spec a wiz either ice, arcane or lightning.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 22, 2012, 06:26:13 AM »

I'm presuming multiple casts won't stack the effect, as it would be overkill.

Quote from: Abaddon on May 22, 2012, 04:53:52 AM

Witch Doctor "Haunt" skill is essentially a DoT (damage over time) that will jump to an additional target if the original dies within a given amount of time AND there is another target within close proximity. Base damage is fairly big, around 575% of weapon IIRC, however it's spread over about 12 seconds. You can modify it with runes to return life or mana as it ticks or reduce the time it ticks for a much quicker kill etc. etc.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: