http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:24:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 99057 times)
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 16, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 16, 2012, 03:18:52 PM

Quote from: Clanwolfer on May 16, 2012, 02:29:20 PM

1) Don't blame QA - you don't know how many bug reports might have gone unaddressed after being filed. QA can only find stuff, they can't force the dev team to address it. Pet peeve, as someone who's done shoestring-budget projects - you can't assume they didn't find issues, only that they didn't address them.

Don't blame the dev team.  It's usually not up to them to make a call like that.  It's usually the Project Manager or someone higher up.  Actually we don't know who screwed up, the point is, someone did.

Yes, sorry - the implication wasn't that the dev team has that power, just that the QA team doesn't.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 16, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on May 16, 2012, 03:25:01 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 16, 2012, 01:18:58 PM

Quote from: Misguided on May 16, 2012, 02:19:14 AM

For me, having an economy that isn't completely broken is totally worth it.

I agree, and this isn't on the same scale as D1 or D2.  It's much easier to have a smoother launch with a fraction of the players even if it's 12 years earlier.

This would be a whole lot easier on people if they stop even referring to it as 'single player'.  there IS NO SINGLE PLAYER MODE.  You can group with yourself and go solo, but it's still not single player mode.  More like an instanced MMO.  The mindset makes all the difference in frustration. It's not like you're playing Super Mario Bros and get disconnected right before you jump on the flag post.

Agreed, this definitely should have been made clear.  I wouldn't have paid any attention at all to the hype or been disappointed if I had known this was not a single player game.  I have zero interest in playing Diablo online or with other people.  Between the SC2 cash grab of splitting one game into three and now this...  Blizzard has thrown away the credit they had built up for so many years.  Very sad.

Funny how BioWare tanks when EA gets involved.... now Blizzard has missteps in the first two games since Activision got involved.
Dude, the game is incredible fun in co-op (and unlike D2, was not designed with various cramped areas that make co-op a pain in the ass), and everyone gets their own loot. How is that in any way a bad thing?

I have no issue with people trying co-op and saying they don't like it. I just find it sad when people stick their feet in the sand and decry co-op as some horrible thing (as they did with ME3, which has the most fun co-op I've played in years) instead of trying it before they bury it.

If people don't even want to try it, I feel sorry for them, but that's their perogative and their loss too.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 16, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »

I played pretty much all of the beta with the WD using Grasp of the Dead and I started out with it too, but I've recently changed to using Haunt for my mouse 2 skill.  I think I will like Haunt even more when I get the rune to keep it around even after the target dies.  I am using Poison Dart with the splinter rune to make 3 x darts.  I am using the dogs and Gargantuan pets also, along with the Templar, so I feel like I have a great barrier of meat shields (although the dogs die really fast, and I'm even using Jungle Fortitude!).  The one thing I can't find a use for is the big mana, nuke ability.  The zomie charger goes like 2 steps and falls apart, and the other spirit barrage just seems meh.  Maybe I need some runes.  

EDIT:  I should probably change Spirit Barrage to GotD, but I feel like I have so much stuff to click anyway.  Also I'm using Soul Harvest, which is great, but I need that 60s buff rune now!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:51:05 PM by leo8877 » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 16, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »

I agree, and this isn't on the same scale as D1 or D2.  It's much easier to have a smoother launch with a fraction of the players even if it's 12 years earlier.

This would be a whole lot easier on people if they stop even referring to it as 'single player'.  there IS NO SINGLE PLAYER MODE.  You can group with yourself and go solo, but it's still not single player mode.  More like an instanced MMO.  The mindset makes all the difference in frustration. It's not like you're playing Super Mario Bros and get disconnected right before you jump on the flag post.

Agreed, this definitely should have been made clear.  I wouldn't have paid any attention at all to the hype or been disappointed if I had known this was not a single player game.  I have zero interest in playing Diablo online or with other people.  Between the SC2 cash grab of splitting one game into three and now this...  Blizzard has thrown away the credit they had built up for so many years.  Very sad.

Funny how BioWare tanks when EA gets involved.... now Blizzard has missteps in the first two games since Activision got involved.

You don't have to play with anyone, you can choose to keep your games private.

Every Blizzard launch is like this, even before Activision got involved.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 16, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »

Yeah, I don't serve the issue with coop. I only played by myself so far, but I'm super stoked to play coop! But, you DON'T have to..

To recap for us Mac players out there, I'm running a 2.8, 512mb ati, 4 gb at mostly high settings with vsync and fsaa on and it runs great @ 1920x 1080 16:9. Very little slowdown at all actually. I'm sure I could tweak it a bit more for a few more fps, but it doesn't seem needed at all.

As far as gameplay goes, it's absolutely awesome. I had to force myself to go to bed at 5 am, then force myself to not call off work to play more...
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 16, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 16, 2012, 03:38:50 PM

Except with Diablo 2 there was less rage because we could at least play offline singleplayer while b.net is down.  Not sure why they didn't include an offline mode with D3?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 16, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 16, 2012, 04:28:10 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 16, 2012, 03:38:50 PM

Except with Diablo 2 there was less rage because we could at least play offline singleplayer while b.net is down.  Not sure why they didn't include an offline mode with D3?
I agree with that though.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 16, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »

Been playing for the last few hours, and have had no connection issues at all today. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 16, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »

I believe the lack of an offline mode has everything to do with preventing piracy. Hopefully, all the major problems will have been worked out in the net couple of days and it won't be a big deal anymore.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 16, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »

Before logging off last night I checked out the auction house and picked up a yellow quiver that has like +32 dexterity, minimum level 13. Cost me less than 6K gold. Considering at level 16 the best quiver drop I've seen was under +10 dexterity, I think I will be using that for a while. Seems like a crazy stat to have on lvl 13 drop.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: May 16, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 16, 2012, 05:40:13 PM

Before logging off last night I checked out the auction house and picked up a yellow quiver that has like +32 dexterity, minimum level 13. Cost me less than 6K gold. Considering at level 16 the best quiver drop I've seen was under +10 dexterity, I think I will be using that for a while. Seems like a crazy stat to have on lvl 13 drop.

Yeah I'm thinking it's time to hit up the AH.

I couldn't find a way to search for an item that I wanted to sell though, as a way to check prices...does anyone know how to do that?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1531 on: May 16, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »

Not easily, no, and it's a huge failure on the Blizzard side of things, IMO.

You have to choose the class, the item type, blah blah blah, and then hope someone has something similar up.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 16, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on May 16, 2012, 05:50:23 PM

You have to choose the class, the item type, blah blah blah, and then hope someone has something similar up.

Bummer.  I liked how in WoW you could shift click and just search.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: May 16, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »

Tera's AH isn't perfect, but one thing that is really cool is you can see the price that items were PURCHASED at recently. Being able to see what things actually sold for is pretty awesome.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 16, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 16, 2012, 05:53:05 PM

Well isn't the loot totally random? Like you have a "bow" and then that bow steals life and makes milkshakes, so it's "vampiric bow of the milkshake". And the possibilities are quite endless, so the odds of someone having the exact same bow is really low. As opposed to WoW where they have loot tables.

Or I could be wrong about that.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 16, 2012, 06:17:34 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 16, 2012, 06:04:00 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 16, 2012, 05:53:05 PM

Well isn't the loot totally random? Like you have a "bow" and then that bow steals life and makes milkshakes, so it's "vampiric bow of the milkshake". And the possibilities are quite endless, so the odds of someone having the exact same bow is really low. As opposed to WoW where they have loot tables.

Or I could be wrong about that.

That's a good point, I didn't think about that.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »

True, unless you are talking about unique or set items

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »

I need to stop taking a shit at work and reading about this or I will want to quit my job and go home to play!!!!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 16, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »

found my first unique, woooo. Up to act 2, think i'm near the end now. Absolutely digging the witch dr. once you get 20 you get a ton of options to play with and it just grows. I have no idea why elective mode is off my default. i can't imagine being stuck to their shitty system like that and there's no indication to turn it on either from the game. so remember people, turn that on!

right now on WD i'm rocking the poison darts as main attack, plague as second. using 4 dogs, the giant thing and the spider mother. then soul harvest to regain mana and destroy hell's minions quickly.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 16, 2012, 07:40:39 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 16, 2012, 07:32:45 PM

right now on WD i'm rocking the poison darts as main attack, plague as second. using 4 dogs, the giant thing and the spider mother. then soul harvest to regain mana and destroy hell's minions quickly.

Plague = plague of toads?

Also, how do you get 4 dogs, I do not see a rune for it?  Ah, I see passive skill.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:50:39 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1540 on: May 16, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »

The secret level has been unveiled.  It's...hilarious.  (SPOILER WARNING)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQzJC-vS40
siege

View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 16, 2012, 08:24:29 PM »

Level 15 on Monk now. I am IN LOVE with this game. I don't want to have to go back to work!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 16, 2012, 08:28:02 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on May 16, 2012, 07:58:30 PM

The secret level has been unveiled.  It's...hilarious.  (SPOILER WARNING)

interesting, but probably would have been funnier to me if I hadn't played through Deathspank this weekend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 16, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »

Quote from: TheGameAh on May 16, 2012, 03:09:26 PM

I have a question about character builds.

I haven't followed like everyone else, but how will one character be different from another at level 40, for example?   In D2, you could have an Amazon specialize around freezing arrow, or javelins (lightning fury).  

Is the rune system going to come into play there?

Overall, I think the math shows that there are even more builds possible per class in this iteration than there were in D2.

Don't forget to turn on Elective Mode to increase your customization options!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:25:13 AM by wonderpug » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 16, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »

I'm at level 14 currently, and the main issue I'm having is that my zombie dogs don't stay alive long enough, and without a pet out, I am a pretty soft target. For damage, I am using firebats with the first rune and toads. My main CC is grasping hands. Other stuff is up in the air right now. I'm going to give Horrify a shot. Looking forward to getting a more tacky pet, like Gargantuan or something.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: May 16, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on May 16, 2012, 07:58:30 PM

The secret level has been unveiled.  It's...hilarious.  (SPOILER WARNING)

Heyyyy, I think I see caption balloons there; there's one at the 20 second mark. I think it's above a player's head (he says "Do you want more?"), not a Follower unless the Scoundrel can eventually toss double Chakrams. Is caption balloons for player chat under Options somewhere?  confused

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 16, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 16, 2012, 09:00:39 PM

I haven't followed like everyone else, but how will one character be different from another at level 40, for example?   In D2, you could have an Amazon specialize around freezing arrow, or javelins (lightning fury). 

Overall, I think the math shows that there are even more builds possible per class in this iteration than there were in D2.

Don forget to turn on Elective Mode to increase your customization options!

Second time today I've heard about Elective mode. Where do I find that option?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »

So much to learn eek!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »

I haven't followed like everyone else, but how will one character be different from another at level 40, for example?   In D2, you could have an Amazon specialize around freezing arrow, or javelins (lightning fury). 

Don forget to turn on Elective Mode to increase your customization options!

No real point in debating it now, but what you gained in "customization" you lost in "specialization."  As I play D3, I rarely stop at all to think about anything, which I think is what they were going for.  There are really no more hard choices to make in terms of skills, you just take the next upgrade and if you don't like it, you switch back.  Some people will love this type of system; personally I think it's just not in the original spirit of the Diablo series.  I still love playing the game, I just miss allocating stats and testing/planning/agonizing over builds.

- - -

As far as the tech stuff we were discussing earlier, I honestly think it's the apologistic attitude that's often taken that allows this sort of thing (launch day/week fiascos) to continue.  When you have a million fanboys defending you left and right, you probably don't feel the need or the pressure to behave more responsibly and deliver what your customers actually paid for.  The excuses I've seen here are "well they just want to make money" or "they just want to save money" etc etc - so somehow that is supposed to make it acceptable?  This has got to be the only industry I've seen where no one seems to think companies should be held accountable.  Is it because it's "gaming" and somehow that's just not considered serious enough to warrant responsibility and accountability?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:35 AM »

I don't see how Diablo 3 isn't a single-player game.  Unless you choose to play multiplayer, you'll never see another person or even know that they're playing.  Some DRM systems require you to be online to play them, and even Steam requires you to connect, although not all the time.  If Skyrim required you to be always online for whatever reason, would that make it not a single-player game?  I don't see the difference.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 17, 2012, 12:21:18 AM »

Just finished my first game on Normal as a Wizard. Took me 17 hours 56 minutes. Finished at Level 31.

Verdict: HELLS YES! GO PLAY IT NOW.

Almost every aspect has been improved upon over Diablo 2. The most notable change is the combat. Its hella fun. You really have to pay attention and try, combat gets interesting fast. Tactics and strategy matter. The days of playing with my mouse hand and eating waffles with the other are over. Also notable is the difficulty. Normal difficulty is FAR MORE difficult to beat than vanilla Diablo 2 at launch. Felt like just the right amount of challenge. Though some of the boss fights were ridiculous until I figured out a strategy.

There's more loot, more kinds of loot, more awesome loot, crafted loot, loot, loot, loot. And loot really matters since all DPS is calculated off your weapon DPS. And the only way to alter your base stats is with armour and equipment. I really enjoyed the loot. Did I mention there's loot?

Minor issues: Gameplay gets slightly choppy during peak hours. The visuals look a lot more like WoW than Diablo. It really suffers from lack of an Act V biggrin (which I'm sure will be remedied). Acts III and IV are brutally short.

That's my review. GO PLAY IT NOW.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1551 on: May 17, 2012, 12:43:27 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 16, 2012, 01:46:10 AM

I'm surprised that he had elbows.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 17, 2012, 12:48:16 AM »

Arclight, check the options menu under game options, the right-hand panel at the bottom.

Quote from: rittchard on May 16, 2012, 11:19:02 PM

No real point in debating it now, but what you gained in "customization" you lost in "specialization."  As I play D3, I rarely stop at all to think about anything, which I think is what they were going for.  There are really no more hard choices to make in terms of skills, you just take the next upgrade and if you don't like it, you switch back.  Some people will love this type of system; personally I think it's just not in the original spirit of the Diablo series.  I still love playing the game, I just miss allocating stats and testing/planning/agonizing over builds.

Curious how far you've gotten. I agree it feels that way early. However, I think once you get an increasing number of skills and runes, it will be a matter of finding synergies. A new rune or passive might easily have a ripple effect on other skill choices. I could see loving a particular rune and building a set of skills around it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1553 on: May 17, 2012, 01:19:14 AM »

so now instead of error 37's, 3003's and such, we get queues.  bugger all for luck.  by the time I get home, the damn servers are full of all of you east-coasters who snagged the spots hours before I get home and then park there.  not blaming you per se, but damn if I'm not feeling a bit put off by the whole thing.   

so far, my retail experience mirrors my open beta weekend experience.  a whole lot of waiting for 10 minutes of game play. 

is there any way to tell how long of a wait you are in for? 

and I finally get in.  and not more than a minute afterwards, the damned message that the servers are shutting down in 5 minutes.  finger

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 17, 2012, 01:21:52 AM »

I swear its like the entire Internets is playing a different game than me. I've had no troubles logging in, played when I wanted to and happily enjoyed the game. Already finished once (see above).

If it's any consolation when the game does work, it's wonderful. And it gets WAY BETTER in the later Acts. FYI.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 17, 2012, 01:24:59 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 16, 2012, 10:54:37 PM

Don't forget to turn on Elective Mode to increase your customization options!

Second time today I've heard about Elective mode. Where do I find that option?

Options > Gameplay

Everyone should also turn on advanced tooltips.
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 17, 2012, 01:27:50 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 16, 2012, 01:46:10 AM

Ok, that dude owes me a new keyboard because I just spat my soda from laughing so hard!

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 17, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »

Ugh. Forgetting a mouse on this biz trip is proving to be a painful mistake. Trackpad FTL.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 17, 2012, 01:35:15 AM »

Quote from: Caine on May 17, 2012, 01:19:14 AM

so now instead of error 37's, 3003's and such, we get queues.  bugger all for luck.  by the time I get home, the damn servers are full of all of you east-coasters who snagged the spots hours before I get home and then park there.  not blaming you per se, but damn if I'm not feeling a bit put off by the whole thing.

haven't had any queues yet, but I was just in and got disconnected during single player.  now I'm getting error 37.  makes me want to look and see if anyone has figured out alternative ways of playing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 17, 2012, 01:37:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2012, 01:35:15 AM

Quote from: Caine on May 17, 2012, 01:19:14 AM

haven't had any queues yet, but I was just in and got disconnected during single player.  now I'm getting error 37.  makes me want to look and see if anyone has figured out alternative ways of playing.
yeah me to..

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: