http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 05:57:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 89592 times)
EngineNo9 (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: May 16, 2012, 04:14:44 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 16, 2012, 04:12:47 AM

Okay, I'm an idiot sucker... I'm downloading this now. Can't wait!

welcome to the queue.   thumbsup

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 16, 2012, 04:15:55 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 16, 2012, 04:12:47 AM

Okay, I'm an idiot sucker... I'm downloading this now. Can't wait!

Error 37 is waiting for you. smile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 16, 2012, 04:16:32 AM »

from the twitter feed, btw:

We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for #D3 servers in the Americas to resolve several issues http://bit.ly/IXhyDg

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 16, 2012, 04:18:14 AM »

Quote from: skystride on May 16, 2012, 04:10:36 AM

Quote from: Gratch on May 16, 2012, 03:54:07 AM

Quote from: Azhag on May 16, 2012, 02:06:12 AM

Wow. This is getting a Dragon Age 2 type response on Amazon and Metacritic user reviews. Happy I decided to wait on it... maybe I'll play some more Torchlight 2 beta...

Nerdrage is hilarious/ridiculous to me.  Yes, the game has some issues today with half the planet trying to log in at once.  We can all agree that it's very frustrating, but I'd be shocked if the problems persist past the next 24-48 hours.  

It's annoying because I can't play a single player game because of login issues.  This never used to be a problem for past single player games.

Lets hope you are right about 24-48 hours because it took Blizzard a month to fix Diablo 2 at release.

Never said it wasn't annoying...it very much is.  But dropping permanent 1-star reviews for launch issues seems a little knee-jerky.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 16, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »

When I have even able to get on and play, I have been having a blast. The game looks good and plays great. I am torn on the whole constant Internet connection thing. Part of me is glad for it, since it will hopefully cut down on the pirates and cheaters....but these server issues really show the problems with it. There should be an option to play offline, but just not be able to play online with those characters or sell items on the auction house with items looted from those characters.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: May 16, 2012, 04:36:11 AM »

damnit hetz didnt i tell you to play GoTs to fill me in on the details?!?!?!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 16, 2012, 04:42:38 AM »

Quote from: Caine on May 16, 2012, 04:16:32 AM

from the twitter feed, btw:

We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for #D3 servers in the Americas to resolve several issues http://bit.ly/IXhyDg
Quote from: Blizzard Support
We're aware players may not be able to connect to the Americas region, or are having difficulty stay in-game. We are investigating.
I'm afraid Blizzard may be pasting in those words for a while. paranoid

I love D3 when it works but the fact is, you only get one chance to make a good first impression launching a game and Blizzard has blown it big time. You can already sense customer venom in some of those twitter customer support exchanges. And right now, laying off all those tech support people a while back doesn't look so smart, IMHO.

Hopefully this is just a one or two day blip. I'll cross my fingers...

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 16, 2012, 04:45:10 AM »

Does anyone know if there's a way to compare an item in your bags with your followers equipped item?  I can't seem to find a button that allows that on mouse-over.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 16, 2012, 04:54:17 AM »

We're continuing to work on the issues currently affecting the Americas region, which are resulting in failed login attempts and service issues. While we've identified the causes and are working to resolve them, we expect our efforts to require an approximate two hours to complete. We expect game services to fully return by approximately 11:45 p.m. PDT. We apologize for the downtime, and appreciate your continued patience.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1489 on: May 16, 2012, 04:57:16 AM »

Gah, 11:45...and I came home from work to try and play this infernal game.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 16, 2012, 04:58:49 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 16, 2012, 04:54:17 AM

We're continuing to work on the issues currently affecting the Americas region, which are resulting in failed login attempts and service issues. While we've identified the causes and are working to resolve them, we expect our efforts to require an approximate two hours to complete. We expect game services to fully return by approximately 11:45 p.m. PDT. We apologize for the downtime, and appreciate your continued patience.

So glad I got my game shipped on release day delivery.  Plan was to go to my nephew's grad dinner, and then be able to play a few hours tonight.  Guess that's not going to happen.

I'm playing torchlight right now.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1491 on: May 16, 2012, 04:59:22 AM »

Yay.  Glad I'm giving away a game that nobody can play.   Awesome.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 16, 2012, 05:16:03 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 16, 2012, 04:11:08 AM

Got my Witch Doctor to 19 and loving it.  I've been able to play about 7 hours today, even with the server issues. 

I've been experimenting with some new builds and some completely different ones than I used all in the beta.  Really enjoy the system they have setup for this.

Didn't play beta at all and know nothing of the later skills, but at 11, when I got the frogs and the first firebat rune, I found those two were a great combo. Lead off with the grasping hands, drop a few bats if there's a big group, then switch to frogs when mana is low. All the while puppies go munch munch. Lots of fun.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 16, 2012, 05:19:08 AM »

Glad I got to play all of 10 minutes in the last 24 hours of launch.  Thanks for all the fun, Blizzard.

Really glad that the game was sitting on my hard drive for a month too.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 16, 2012, 06:02:47 AM »

Yeah, I got a massive download relatively quick and bam! This..Oh well, Ill play some max payne and keep trying this. I want to play! nod
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 16, 2012, 06:21:36 AM »

Servers apparently went back online around 11:20 pm pst.  woohoo.  just in time to go to bed. 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 16, 2012, 06:23:25 AM »

My biggest bone with this kind of crap is how it continues to happen time and again, and the gaming community as a whole just seems helpless (or hapless) to do anything about it.  Of course I know that after a few days of bitching and moaning the problem generally "goes away", but how is it possible that a multi-million/billion dollar industry can get away with this kind of thing over and over and over?  I'm not saying this is necessarily the answer, but perhaps it's time the government needs to get involved.  You boil it down and you are dealing with a different form of fraud or "bait and switch".  Is there any other form of merchandise/entertainment like this where you can put down $60-100 and simply not be able to access it?  Imagine going to watch The Avengers and 5 minutes into the movie, it just melts down and craps into nothingness, then you are told maybe you can come watch more of it in 2 hours.  Would anyone stand for that kind of nonsense?

Even worse, unless someone can explain the technicalities of it (and even if they can't), I am hard pressed to see how this couldn't have been avoided.  As I've noted before in other online launches, these companies have all the power and all the information they need well in advance (online pre-purchases, online pre-orders, box and CE edition orders, etc etc), and had plenty of time to work it all out.  Any engineering endeavor I've been a part of always has a specification to meet, and any good engineer will work the spec to the worst case scenario - and then build some margin on top of that just to be safe.  If their worst case scenario was 2 million people at once, they should have planned for 3 million.  Or alternatively, if their capacity/bottleneck testing showed they could only handle 1 million simultaneous hits, they could have limited the initial login run to 500,000, and gradually ramp more in.  Would people be pissed if they didn't pre-order on time?  Of course - but if it guaranteed the service would be good, I think most people could live with that over this kind of situation.  

I'm glad to see that at least for once they are getting some bad press to balance out the fanboy apologists who still cling to Blizzard like they are gods.  I guess the only way to really send a message is to do it with $, but even that seems futile for the most part.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 16, 2012, 07:14:22 AM »

Seems back up. Played for just a few mins, gonna hop on in 5 and check
It out a bit more before bed. BTW, it seems, at least at the wry beginning
To run well on my Mac. Seems this will be a ton o fun!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1498 on: May 16, 2012, 07:18:07 AM »

Heh, I just switched to the Europe servers and played over there for a couple hours.  It gave me a chance to try out the Monk for a while without feeling like I was missing out on my normal Barbarian that I'll inevitably create on the Americas servers.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 16, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »

A couple of questions:

Anyone use the mobile phone authenticator? It asks me to authenticate every time I log on, and I do NOT have that option selected. The option box is unchecked meaning I am only supposed to have to authenticate once a week.

Joining a game etiquette? Do you ask in chat before you join a friends game? Is there something someone can set so people know you don't want anyone to join in?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: May 16, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »

I preordered my copy from Newegg, when they had a sale going.  The downside: they dont have release day delivery so I wont get my copy until this afternoon.
The upside:  I saved $10 and hours of rage and frustration because they dont have release day delivery so I dont get my copy until this afternoon.

Ill just throw this out there, if youve ever owned an illegal copy of a game, this is your fault.  Rampant dishonesty is the primary reason companies are resorting to such draconian measures to protect their products.  Blizzard has even realized that if you cant beat them, profit off them, by putting in a real cash AH.  This way they can profit off the farmers, instead of wasting dollars trying to fight them. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 16, 2012, 12:14:17 PM

A couple of questions:

Joining a game etiquette? Do you ask in chat before you join a friends game? Is there something someone can set so people know you don't want anyone to join in?
Lee, check under OPTIONS>SOCIAL to adjust whether you want to let anyone on your friends list auto-join you. If you set that to off (i.e., uncheck that option box), people only have an option to "request an invite to your game," something like that.

While I don't know if there's an option to just tell everyone to leave you alone  icon_smile, I think you can set your bnet status to "AWAY," and that might give folks a hint.

I don't think it hurts to just send someone a quick message "hey is it OK if I join you." I'm sure most won't mind, but until people get used to using the Social options menu, a lot of folks may have games open to "quick join" without really wanting to.
===========================

A glimpse of me DH:

*Hand crossbows are so rare. I think I've seen like three (one normal, one magic, and just now finally a decent magic one). It's the one thing I could see myself visiting the auction house for at some point.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:54:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: May 16, 2012, 01:07:01 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 16, 2012, 12:14:17 PM

Anyone use the mobile phone authenticator? It asks me to authenticate every time I log on, and I do NOT have that option selected. The option box is unchecked meaning I am only supposed to have to authenticate once a week.

At first it seems to do this, then it "learns" where you are logging in from and goes to once a week.  Every time you access your account on battle.net though it will prompt you.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 16, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 16, 2012, 03:45:59 AM

As I was literally 2 steps away from clicking the cemetery checkpoint, I got disconnected...so I'll have to play back through the last 20'ish minutes again from the last checkpoint.

This exact thing happened to me.  All I did was head straight for the cemetery instead of re-exploring the whole swamp.  When you get disconnected, you keep all your xp and items, so there really isn't a point to go explore again, unless you want another shot at loot.  It does suck, though, that getting disconnected makes you kicked out of the single player.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 16, 2012, 01:18:58 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 16, 2012, 02:19:14 AM

For me, having an economy that isn't completely broken is totally worth it.

I agree, and this isn't on the same scale as D1 or D2.  It's much easier to have a smoother launch with a fraction of the players even if it's 12 years earlier.

This would be a whole lot easier on people if they stop even referring to it as 'single player'.  there IS NO SINGLE PLAYER MODE.  You can group with yourself and go solo, but it's still not single player mode.  More like an instanced MMO.  The mindset makes all the difference in frustration. It's not like you're playing Super Mario Bros and get disconnected right before you jump on the flag post.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: May 16, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 16, 2012, 06:23:25 AM

My biggest bone with this kind of crap is how it continues to happen time and again, and the gaming community as a whole just seems helpless (or hapless) to do anything about it.  Of course I know that after a few days of bitching and moaning the problem generally "goes away", but how is it possible that a multi-million/billion dollar industry can get away with this kind of thing over and over and over?  I'm not saying this is necessarily the answer, but perhaps it's time the government needs to get involved.  You boil it down and you are dealing with a different form of fraud or "bait and switch".  Is there any other form of merchandise/entertainment like this where you can put down $60-100 and simply not be able to access it?  Imagine going to watch The Avengers and 5 minutes into the movie, it just melts down and craps into nothingness, then you are told maybe you can come watch more of it in 2 hours.  Would anyone stand for that kind of nonsense?

Even worse, unless someone can explain the technicalities of it (and even if they can't), I am hard pressed to see how this couldn't have been avoided.  As I've noted before in other online launches, these companies have all the power and all the information they need well in advance (online pre-purchases, online pre-orders, box and CE edition orders, etc etc), and had plenty of time to work it all out.  Any engineering endeavor I've been a part of always has a specification to meet, and any good engineer will work the spec to the worst case scenario - and then build some margin on top of that just to be safe.  If their worst case scenario was 2 million people at once, they should have planned for 3 million.  Or alternatively, if their capacity/bottleneck testing showed they could only handle 1 million simultaneous hits, they could have limited the initial login run to 500,000, and gradually ramp more in.  Would people be pissed if they didn't pre-order on time?  Of course - but if it guaranteed the service would be good, I think most people could live with that over this kind of situation.  

I'm glad to see that at least for once they are getting some bad press to balance out the fanboy apologists who still cling to Blizzard like they are gods.  I guess the only way to really send a message is to do it with $, but even that seems futile for the most part.

It would be quite silly for them to not sell as many copies as they can though.  They are trying to make money and they make far more money by just pushing through the problems than by actively keeping people from buying the game.  Most people will whine and still play so Bliz really has no incentive. 

On top of that there are definitely networking reasons that these problems still come up.  Managing multiple millions of information requests simultaneously is still something that nobody really knows how to do on our infrastructure.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1506 on: May 16, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 16, 2012, 01:18:58 PM

This would be a whole lot easier on people if they stop even referring to it as 'single player'.  there IS NO SINGLE PLAYER MODE.  You can group with yourself and go solo, but it's still not single player mode.  More like an instanced MMO.  The mindset makes all the difference in frustration. It's not like you're playing Super Mario Bros and get disconnected right before you jump on the flag post.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. Playing Diablo 3 alone and without quick join is definitely a single player mode. I don't know what your definition is, but when you're playing a game for yourself where other players can't join, it's a single player game. By what I suspect is your definition, Diablo 2 would have been a pure multiplayer game too with how it handled checkpoints. Whether or not your game is on a server is irrelevant. If not, anything you'd play through services like OnLive would have been multiplayer, regardless of the game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: May 16, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 16, 2012, 01:16:49 PM

As I was literally 2 steps away from clicking the cemetery checkpoint, I got disconnected...so I'll have to play back through the last 20'ish minutes again from the last checkpoint.

This exact thing happened to me.  All I did was head straight for the cemetery instead of re-exploring the whole swamp.  When you get disconnected, you keep all your xp and items, so there really isn't a point to go explore again, unless you want another shot at loot.  It does suck, though, that getting disconnected makes you kicked out of the single player.

Interestingly, I booted it up this morning and my character was standing in the exact same spot he was when I got booted...2 steps away from the checkpoint.   thumbsup

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: May 16, 2012, 01:55:16 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 16, 2012, 01:53:17 PM

This exact thing happened to me.  All I did was head straight for the cemetery instead of re-exploring the whole swamp.  When you get disconnected, you keep all your xp and items, so there really isn't a point to go explore again, unless you want another shot at loot.  It does suck, though, that getting disconnected makes you kicked out of the single player.

Interestingly, I booted it up this morning and my character was standing in the exact same spot he was when I got booted...2 steps away from the checkpoint.   thumbsup

Nice!  That did not happen to me. frown

Edit - Actually, do you mean the waypoint (teleporter thing)?  Because the checkpoint is opening the gate to get to the waypoint.  I was two steps from the checkpoint.  I have a feeling you had opened the gate and were two steps from the waypoint.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: May 16, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 16, 2012, 01:23:40 PM

Quote from: rittchard on May 16, 2012, 06:23:25 AM

It would be quite silly for them to not sell as many copies as they can though.  They are trying to make money and they make far more money by just pushing through the problems than by actively keeping people from buying the game.  Most people will whine and still play so Bliz really has no incentive. 

On top of that there are definitely networking reasons that these problems still come up.  Managing multiple millions of information requests simultaneously is still something that nobody really knows how to do on our infrastructure.

Plus, you know, servers are expensive. They do what they can on the back-end, but they're not going to plan for 3 million players if they're pretty sure that, after the launch day rush, they're only going to top out at half of that at any given time.

Since it's basically a game client to an online server, I'd make the analogy more to a theme park than I would to a movie - if you go to Cedar Point when a new coaster opens, good luck actually riding it, it will probably spend some time in maintenance and then there's going to be a gigantic line. And then you've planned a whole vacation around it, not just a day at home.

Is it sort of annoying that Blizz's servers catch fire a few times at launch, here? Sure. Do I expect them to cut into their profit margin and buy tons of hardware they don't need 99% of the time? Not at all. I'd expect them to act more like EVE Online, where they keep their servers going at a pretty good clip, can reallocate them to deal with big events, but still have to cut into gameplay experience from time to time.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: May 16, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 16, 2012, 01:55:16 PM

Quote from: Gratch on May 16, 2012, 01:53:17 PM

This exact thing happened to me.  All I did was head straight for the cemetery instead of re-exploring the whole swamp.  When you get disconnected, you keep all your xp and items, so there really isn't a point to go explore again, unless you want another shot at loot.  It does suck, though, that getting disconnected makes you kicked out of the single player.

Interestingly, I booted it up this morning and my character was standing in the exact same spot he was when I got booted...2 steps away from the checkpoint.   thumbsup

Nice!  That did not happen to me. frown

Edit - Actually, do you mean the waypoint (teleporter thing)?  Because the checkpoint is opening the gate to get to the waypoint.  I was two steps from the checkpoint.  I have a feeling you had opened the gate and were two steps from the waypoint.

You're correct...waypoint, not checkpoint.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: May 16, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on May 16, 2012, 01:58:24 PM

Do I expect them to cut into their profit margin and buy tons of hardware they don't need 99% of the time? Not at all.

They can rent servers and not buy them.

Also how do you explain taking everything down for hours because they need to fix bugs to anything other than incompetence and a bad QA department?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:16:19 PM by skystride » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 16, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 16, 2012, 02:14:20 PM

Do I expect them to cut into their profit margin and buy tons of hardware they don't need 99% of the time? Not at all.

renting and setting them up is not free, still cuts into their profit for something that know will pass soon anyway.  From a business standpoint it's not worth it to them.  Sure we'd be much, much happier if they did.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 16, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 16, 2012, 02:14:20 PM

Also how do you explain taking everything down for hours because they need to fix bugs to anything other than incompetence and a bad QA department?

1) Don't blame QA - you don't know how many bug reports might have gone unaddressed after being filed. QA can only find stuff, they can't force the dev team to address it. Pet peeve, as someone who's done shoestring-budget projects - you can't assume they didn't find issues, only that they didn't address them.
2) Matter of scale - it's always harder to fix a production server than you think it will be. I run a small application at work (relatively - 20K-30K users) and to fix production, it's always a giant deal. I've easily had fixes that should take a few minutes (and did, in development environments) take much longer. I dread to think how the day went for the Blizzard architects and engineers.

Like I said - it sucks, and I'd rather at the end of the day it be working than not, especially after an open stress test - but I'm not about to lay into them with the fire and brimstone, full-on 'you deserve to go out of business' speech, because I just don't know. It's entirely possible their engineers are sipping Fanta and playing table tennis instead of rebooting the servers, but I doubt it - I bet they're working about as hard as humanly possible, to the utmost extent of their abilities, after months of crunch to get the game shipped and online. I'm pretty sure they don't have a giant 'fix everything' button they're deciding not to press, and I'm pretty sure that in the crunch of getting their game ready to ship, it's not like they had the opportunity and declined.

It's a business, with a set budget for the project and a set budget for resources. I'm pretty sure they're doing the best they can under those constraints, and the best thing for the shareholders is that this get ironed out ASAP, so they're going to lay into that team with all they've got until it is. If anything I feel bad for the guys stuck working/living it, not vengeful and glad they're getting 2s and 3s on Metacritic.

If it's clear there's a structural issue, if 2-3 months down the road it's still not working right and it turns out they declined to bring on and train extra staff when it became clear there was a structural issue, then I'll be peeved. But for right now, I'm going to file it under 'launch day hiccups' and be glad I had a few episodes of Downton Abbey saved up to watch while the servers were down.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: May 16, 2012, 02:51:50 PM »

I was right there with you until something about an Abbey  ninja
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: May 16, 2012, 03:09:26 PM »

I have a question about character builds.

I haven't followed like everyone else, but how will one character be different from another at level 40, for example?   In D2, you could have an Amazon specialize around freezing arrow, or javelins (lightning fury). 

Is the rune system going to come into play there?
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 16, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on May 16, 2012, 02:29:20 PM

1) Don't blame QA - you don't know how many bug reports might have gone unaddressed after being filed. QA can only find stuff, they can't force the dev team to address it. Pet peeve, as someone who's done shoestring-budget projects - you can't assume they didn't find issues, only that they didn't address them.

Don't blame the dev team.  It's usually not up to them to make a call like that.  It's usually the Project Manager or someone higher up.  Actually we don't know who screwed up, the point is, someone did.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 16, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »

Quote from: TheGameAh on May 16, 2012, 03:09:26 PM

I haven't followed like everyone else, but how will one character be different from another at level 40, for example?   In D2, you could have an Amazon specialize around freezing arrow, or javelins (lightning fury). 

You are selecting a set of skills since you can't have them all available.  That defines your build as well as the rune system.  However, if you don't like your build, you can easily respec.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 16, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »

Quote from: TheGameAh on May 16, 2012, 03:09:26 PM

I haven't followed like everyone else, but how will one character be different from another at level 40, for example?   In D2, you could have an Amazon specialize around freezing arrow, or javelins (lightning fury).  

I recommend checking the Game Guide:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/
*For example, the Demon Hunter's actives:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/active/
(runes are listed on the right, and description pops up when you hover the cursor over them)

I've found there's a ton of room for flexibility, but the Rune choices will probably factor into that later, say in the mid-late teens, when you start having more than one Rune choice for each skill.

Right now my Demon Hunter is mostly content to use Hungering Arrow as his hate builder, Rapid Fire and Chakram (I switched the hotkeys mode to the one that gives you full flexibility on assigning skills to hotkeys/mouse buttons) for dealing with groups, and Caltrops for slowing them down.

That means I'm ignoring quite a few skills, including smoke screen, bola shot, entangling shot, vault, etc. But the above choices fit my personal play style and I have a lot of fun.  icon_smile I do on occasion use some of the other things in certain situations.

I love rapid fire in part because I can just hold it down, and "rinse off" large groups, and it feels less stressful on my old right wrist.  icon_smile

*P.S. AFIK, only Templar followers can use javelins now.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:27:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 16, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 16, 2012, 01:18:58 PM

Quote from: Misguided on May 16, 2012, 02:19:14 AM

For me, having an economy that isn't completely broken is totally worth it.

I agree, and this isn't on the same scale as D1 or D2.  It's much easier to have a smoother launch with a fraction of the players even if it's 12 years earlier.

Agreed, this definitely should have been made clear.  I wouldn't have paid any attention at all to the hype or been disappointed if I had known this was not a single player game.  I have zero interest in playing Diablo online or with other people.  Between the SC2 cash grab of splitting one game into three and now this...  Blizzard has thrown away the credit they had built up for so many years.  Very sad.

Funny how BioWare tanks when EA gets involved.... now Blizzard has missteps in the first two games since Activision got involved.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: