http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 04:21:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 103774 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 15, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 15, 2012, 03:07:29 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on May 15, 2012, 07:48:57 AM

That's probably more than even the best of databases could handle (and they aren't all the same physical database either, if they're smart)

I picture poorly-paid interns running back and forth to a card catalog, looking up login credentials. 

Paid? LOL. smile

I tried to make my character at midnight and like everyone else, timed out and gave up.  This morning, I log in and see my character list is full of demon hunters.  saywhat
Crabbs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 15, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 15, 2012, 02:55:05 PM

Quote from: Travis on May 15, 2012, 02:40:36 PM

My friend bought the game from newegg and wants to know how to install it early.  Is there a link for the installer or would he had to have been on the beta?

I posted a link a few pages back, but I think I also just saw someone say that the old installer isn't working properly anymore.  Not sure if if there's an updated non-Blizzard link out in the wild yet.

Looks like they're providing a direct link from the Battle.net splash page. Gives you the option to activate a key or to download the client.

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 15, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »

Let me know how it plays on Mac!!! I'm purposely getting mp3 tonight so I don't fall prey to this yet... I want to know how well it runs and frankly give it a few days for the servers to settle in...
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 15, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »

Quote from: Crabbs on May 15, 2012, 04:34:41 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 15, 2012, 02:55:05 PM

Quote from: Travis on May 15, 2012, 02:40:36 PM

My friend bought the game from newegg and wants to know how to install it early.  Is there a link for the installer or would he had to have been on the beta?

I posted a link a few pages back, but I think I also just saw someone say that the old installer isn't working properly anymore.  Not sure if if there's an updated non-Blizzard link out in the wild yet.

Looks like they're providing a direct link from the Battle.net splash page. Gives you the option to activate a key or to download the client.

Thanks guys!  I sent the info to him.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 15, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 15, 2012, 04:36:06 PM

Let me know how it plays on Mac!!! I'm purposely getting mp3 tonight so I don't fall prey to this yet... I want to know how well it runs and frankly give it a few days for the servers to settle in...

Just tried it for 5 minutes on my Fall 2010 11" Macbook Air, and it seemed to work great.  Combat chugged at first, but turning down shadows seemed to make it fine.  I think most of the other details were turned up by default, so there's still plenty more room to boost performance.

This was just dipping my toes in, though.  Didn't get to see it with lots of simultaneous enemies or spell effects.  I think it's going to run just fine, though.  (The fan was going crazy, though. smile)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1405 on: May 15, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »

Here's to hoping that it runs well later today. Ron wants me to produce a review for it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 15, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »

Three hours later and I'm still getting Error 3007 and dumped back to the login screen. Happening every 20-30 mins now. I'm going to be level 60 before I get out of Act 1 at this rate.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 15, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 15, 2012, 10:33:21 AM

LOL

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 15, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 15, 2012, 05:20:56 PM

Three hours later and I'm still getting Error 3007 and dumped back to the login screen. Happening every 20-30 mins now. I'm going to be level 60 before I get out of Act 1 at this rate.

did you check this page?

Because I can,
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 15, 2012, 05:56:23 PM »

It's working fine for me up here in Happy Canada. No crashes, no bugs, no errors.

I'm loving the game so far. Am partway through Act II. I loved the cutscenes between acts 1 and 2. Awesome. I'm playing a wizard and enjoying it but I'm very surprised at how much more difficult the finished game is than the beta. I've died quite a bit, especially against certain elites. Not complaining though, would hate if it was too easy. They've also made crafting so expensive it's almost prohibitive for a first-time playthrough. But that's ok too.

Two Thumbs Up, way up, so far.

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: May 15, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »

I've had no problem logging in since I woke up this morning.  I'm a good way into Act 1 now and it is FANTASTIC.  This is definitely a Diablo game and those who worried it might be dumbed down couldn't be more wrong. Plenty of  options I can see so far and I'm just getting started, the world is appearing to be huge and well thought out, the story is actually interesting, and combat is much more interesting/involved than it was in D2. I'll write up more later as I'm anxious to get back to it.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 15, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »

Quote from: Orgull on May 15, 2012, 05:56:23 PM

It's working fine for me up here in Happy Canada. No crashes, no bugs, no errors.

Of course it works fine now!  I'm really hoping I can play tonight when the masses pour in but I have my doubts.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 15, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »

Looks like the game isn't playing nice with certain models of D-Link routers, especially the 615. Of course it worked perfectly in beta....
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1413 on: May 15, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »

This game has some surprisingly serious issues for a Blizzard game. There's at least one way to permanently lock you out of the game that has been found by now, and a lot of people (including me) are either losing plenty of achievements or not getting them in the first place. I just killed the skeleton king, but I've only received one achievement (much earlier in the game). I tried logging out to see if that helped, and now I can't get back in. Figures.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 15, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »

I like the game, but these launch issues are ridiculous. Luckily I have a lot of gaming options available (Max Payne) while these issues get taken care of. If all I had to play was Diablo, I would probably be pissed.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 15, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »

To hell with Blizzard!!!

Just as soon as I get off work.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 15, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »

Gods curse you Blizzard! (Downloading the game now on my desktop and trying to focus on work on my laptop....)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:58:14 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Crabbs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 15, 2012, 06:48:13 PM »

Are the American servers even up? Looks like they are doing emergency maintenance

11:30 a.m. PDT- We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for Diablo III servers in the Americas to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play at approximately 1:30 p.m. PDT. We will provide further updates as necessary. Thank you for your patience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10: 22 a.m. PDT- We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for all North American Diablo III servers to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play in approximately 1 hour.

Thank you for your patience.

Still waiting on my copy from Amazon (should be here within the hour) just wanted to know if there should even be a rush to try logging in if the servers are kaput until 4:30pm EST

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 15, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »

screw this, I'm going to go get some Taco Bell.

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 15, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

I love the game so far (when I can get on and play it). This is going to be my new addiction for quite awhile, I believe. Too bad about the launch issues though. frown

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 15, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »

I was able to get in this morning and play a bit, then snuck in a little time during lunch.  Now the servers are down.  I expect that all will be ironed out within a few days and these issues will become a distant memory.

As far as gameplay goes, I'm enjoying it much more than the beta, (played only during open beta weekend), primarily because they increased the difficulty perceptibly.  It's still pretty easy, but no longer mind-numbingly so.  I believe they increased shop prices as well as the threat that enemies pose. 

I am also very glad that my friends list survived from beta.  Looking forward to playing with folks here and from the Wanderers tomorrow, when I get my first big chunk of time to dedicate to it.

hotfreak#1424

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 15, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »

Been playing all morning and just got kicked off.  Got about 5 hours in though.  Pretty silly launch issues though.  How can they not expect it?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1422 on: May 15, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »

Here's a tip to avoid losing or not even gaining achievements in the first place: Make sure you always do a clean logout when you exit the game. In other words, choose Leave Game and then log out. Don't just quit. I don't know how accurate this tip is, but several people have reported that it works for them and it did fix my issue with achievements (though it wasn't retroactive, which means I lost several that I'll just have to go retake later).

Up to level 11 now. I think I'm a pretty slow player. I tend to explore every nook and cranny, talk to every NPC and look closely at equipment and game mechanics. It probably took me about 4-5 hours to get this far. Still, I haven't died even once as a Monk.

Edit: Now that I think about it, some of that time was spent dealing with technical issues such as logging in. So probably more like 3-4 hours then.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:48:10 PM by TiLT » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 15, 2012, 07:59:41 PM »

Got my CE, but all I am doing is staring at the part where it wants to load the character list, but can't.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: May 15, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 15, 2012, 07:59:41 PM

Got my CE, but all I am doing is staring at the part where it wants to load the character list, but can't.
Guys, better BOOKMARK this Battle.net Emergency Maintenance status page for future reference (probably mentioned here earlier):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5051765603
We anticipate all servers will be available for play at approximately 1:30 p.m. PDT. [i.e., 4:30 p.m. Eastern]
So, presumably they're (or at least "most" of "they're") not up yet.

None of this surprises me because the moment they announced it was a server-based game (basically), I know all the server screw ups that occur with nearly every big mmorpg release were going to happen with D3 too. I guess it's just a question of whether this is gonna be the "new normal," or if it's just a one or two day launch-load fiasco.  paranoid
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:11:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: May 15, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »

Guess I shouldn't have logged out when I went to eat lunch :\

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »

So lame. Diablo 3 is a multiplayer game, but if no one can log in its a 0-player game  slywink

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: May 15, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 15, 2012, 08:13:25 PM

So lame. Diablo 3 is a multiplayer game, but if no one can log in its a 0-player game  slywink

Didn't you read about their massive new ARG subgame, Nerd Rage?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: May 15, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »

Noob question. How do weapon stats affect skills, if at all?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 15, 2012, 09:17:57 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 15, 2012, 09:09:13 PM

If you mouse over the skill in your character pane, it will tell you what each stat does.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: May 15, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »

There is no excuse for these queues. You implement this shit and yet don't plan appropriately for usage. Blizzard is effectively selling paperweights or coasters until they get their shit sorted out.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: May 15, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 15, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »

The queue screen is great. Installed, waited in queue for two hours because the servers I don't need to play on are full, then got disconnected and went on-line to find that servers are to be down for another two hours.

Good stuff.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: May 15, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 15, 2012, 09:17:57 PM

Quote from: Misguided on May 15, 2012, 09:09:13 PM

If you mouse over the skill in your character pane, it will tell you what each stat does.

You may have to enable advanced tool tips? Can't remember
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: May 15, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »

What about stuff like bonus damage? If a weapon adds cold or holy damage, does that impact anything other than regular attacks? For example if I through a fireball as a wizard, is that affected by bonus damage on the axe I'm carrying around (just a silly example).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 15, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 15, 2012, 10:05:30 PM

What about stuff like bonus damage? If a weapon adds cold or holy damage, does that impact anything other than regular attacks? For example if I through a fireball as a wizard, is that affected by bonus damage on the axe I'm carrying around (just a silly example).
It can get tricky. From my beta recollection, some skills that "look" like say, a bow skill, or a Monk's fist skill, are in fact "magic attacks." So I too would get confused on whether a bow with an elemental bonus was contributing when the attack was more some sort of magical projectile.

I think the maintenance thread should be retitled...
We Are FUBARed!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5051765603
1:55 p.m. PDT - Starting at approximately 2:15 p.m. PDT, we will be bringing Diablo III servers in the Americas offline for urgent maintenance to address several issues that are impacting the game.

We anticipate that maintenance will last for about an hour and that servers will be available at approximately 3:30 p.m. PDT. [6:30 p.m. Eastern] We will provide further updates as they are necessary. Thank you for your patience.
What I don't fathom is they should know exactly how many digital editions they've sold, and at least how many SKUs were sent out. And certainly they know how rabid the demand is since they've been hyping the game for months if not years. It shouldn't have been a mystery to project what was going to flood the servers today.

So how do they know all that, and still not be able to project what sort of server capacity, demand, strength, whatever they're going to need to withstand the traffic? Clearly they've been Zerged on launch day, but I would've thought their experience with WoW and its expansions, and SC2 would've prepared 'em for this.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:17:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 15, 2012, 10:18:05 PM »

So D3 is being review bombed on Amazon. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 15, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »

Was going to "work from home" tomorrow so I could play, figuring they'd have the day one issues sorted out...rethinking that plan now.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: May 15, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »

Well, at least you can still "work from home" tomorrow so you can play more Xenoblade Chronicles! nod thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 15, 2012, 11:11:57 PM »

Whats funny I bought a physical copy so I wouldn't have to worry about trying to download the game, and I can't even install the game it just hangs at "updating files" how hilarious is that, so now I'm downloading it via bnet lovely....
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: