http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:40:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 82576 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: April 22, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 22, 2012, 07:14:31 PM

so far I've been cutting myself off right after I rescue Deckard Cain from the Cathedral so I don't spoil things too much.  how much is after that part?
I would say that you are about halfway done with the beta at that point.  I don't think there is that much to spoil, so you should finish it and enjoy it! smile
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 22, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »

so far I've been cutting myself off right after I rescue Deckard Cain from the Cathedral so I don't spoil things too much.  how much is after that part?

that's about 70% 'ish. there's a few random stuff, but it's pretty much kill the king after that.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 22, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »

the beta is short enough that you can play the entire thing and I don't think you'll really have spoiled much of the full game in the slightest
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 22, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »

Well, I like it.  I am in.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #964 on: April 22, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 22, 2012, 07:49:34 PM

that's about 70% 'ish. there's a few random stuff, but it's pretty much kill the king after that.

no... the blacksmith, then the tombs, then returning to the cathedral where they REALLY get diablo-esque.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 22, 2012, 07:56:59 PM

the beta is short enough that you can play the entire thing and I don't think you'll really have spoiled much of the full game in the slightest

I was more worried about burning myself out by going through the same sections over and over, kinda like in MMO betas where, when it finally goes live, I look at the starting area and go 'again?'  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 22, 2012, 08:19:22 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 22, 2012, 07:56:59 PM

I was more worried about burning myself out by going through the same sections over and over, kinda like in MMO betas where, when it finally goes live, I look at the starting area and go 'again?'  icon_lol

Uhh... that's Diablo.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 22, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 22, 2012, 05:57:06 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on April 22, 2012, 05:51:35 PM

Is there a new town portal equivalent?  Or do you just use waygates or whateverthey'recalled?

Keep playing, young padawan.

Waiting for release!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 22, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »

There's a moderate amount more... don't remember, so I'll say 50%?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 22, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »

Got about 5 minutes in before an announced server shut down.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 22, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 21, 2012, 03:01:37 PM

There's a difference between a stress test and presenting something that's utterly broken to prospective customers.  If the stress test was an effort to get me to cancel my preorder, Blizz is getting close to "success"

I started this morning at 6:45AM and couldn't create a game. I repeatedly got Error 300008 or something like that.  I never could get a game to start and so I went to run a 5k.
Then I spent 20 minutes trying to log in and getting Error 37 (sounds like I'm not the only one).
Now I finally made it past the login screen, but I'm getting Error 3008 and can't start a game.

So the results are thus far over an hour trying to play the game, 3 different error messages, no play time.  Color me unimpressed. 

I'll give it a bit more time, but If it's this crappy on 4/21, I don't have much hope for it being smooth on 5/15.  It's easy enough to cancel my preorder and transfer the money to another game.

The create game errors were the only negatives we experienced in the beta weekend and they only happened a couple times.  Other than that everyone in my party loves the game and found it to have the typical blizzard polish.

I actually put in for the 15th off as soon as I got to work today smile

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 22, 2012, 11:53:09 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 22, 2012, 02:13:59 AM

trying for 7 hours to get in to a stress test shows some dedication, extreme boredom, or some other possibly more serious issues.  icon_eek

Ah yes, the ole' "you put in way too much time/you didn't give it enough time" response.  Lose/lose either way.  Harkonis, you're getting rather predictable. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 23, 2012, 01:08:48 AM »

I was lucky enough to have no problems with this weekend's stress test, but if I did have any, I think I'd give up at about the 10 minute mark.  Why try so hard to get into a 2-day stress test?  After 10 minutes of fail I'd just as soon wait for the first impressions thread to see if the release day experience was any better.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 23, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 21, 2012, 09:19:32 PM

I'm out. I've requested a cancellation of the pre-order and uninstalled the beta. I think a few here are glossing over the stress test aspect of this open beta (which is exactly what it's called on the Diablo 3 website - not a "stress test"). It's an open beta as declared by Blizz - and it simply doesn't work.

I don't think 11 different error codes and 45 minutes of actual gameplay (over 7 hours of trying to get in) bodes well for the actual release. Frankly, it's an unmitigated disaster and I've not seen any open beta - MMO or other - perform so poorly in this decade. There's no reward or bonus for pre-ordering and I play this single-player, so there's absolutely no reason not to keep my money and wait this out. If/when they fix the problems,great, I'll reconsider. They may have them fixed by May 15th - I hope they do for the benefit of those who are sticking with it. But at this stage, I'd have to say that this is the biggest FAIL open beta in recent memory. All Blizz convinced me of was that they can't handle the one thing I was most concerned about - the online always component of the game - and failed to impress me with any evolution or revolution of the genre. I had more fun replaying Titan Quest this afternoon than I did playing D3.

As such, the only way I'll end up playing on release is if I can't get the pre-order canceled for some reason.

Sounds like a good decision for you.  I thought the open beta was fine and am greatful for the opportunity to spend a few hours playing this weekend.  It was cool to check things out and the game is pretty much everything I hoped it would be.  Still looking forward to May 15th!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 23, 2012, 01:36:41 AM »

I ran into a few log in issues but eventually got to play a Demon Hunter thru the beta limit.  I guess that after seeing the new starcraft, I shouldnt be surprised that theres nothing new here in Diablo3.  It seems like a glorified expansion and Im curious as to why it took so long to get out the door.  That being said it still has the old Diablo fun factor and once I got in it ran smoothly.  Im also not too happy that they are forcing a single player gamers to face server issues. Anyways, if you liked the previous Diablos, youll likely like this one as well, warts and all.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:56 AM »

Not that it was ever in doubt, but I finally pre-purchased tonight.  icon_smile Just plain old digital edition from Blizzard. No CE crap full of stuff I'm never gonna look at, read or even ogle (re my SWTOR statue). Although if it included a CE Logitech MX518 mouse with specially strengthened mouse clicker mechanisms, I would've gone for that.  icon_razz

I'm just sooooo tired of this 20% sliver of Act 1, and all these cool sounding skills and skill runes just out of reach (due to beta level cap). Bring on the full release!  icon_cool
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:28:51 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 23, 2012, 02:59:13 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 23, 2012, 01:36:41 AM

I ran into a few log in issues but eventually got to play a Demon Hunter thru the beta limit.  I guess that after seeing the new starcraft, I shouldnt be surprised that theres nothing new here in Diablo3.  It seems like a glorified expansion and Im curious as to why it took so long to get out the door.  That being said it still has the old Diablo fun factor and once I got in it ran smoothly.  Im also not too happy that they are forcing a single player gamers to face server issues. Anyways, if you liked the previous Diablos, youll likely like this one as well, warts and all.

While I admire and enjoy most (if not all) of Bliizzard's games, I believe that they are a victim of their own success. Having the luxury, budget, and all the time they want to make a game is not always a good thing.

Edit: of course I'm buying it 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:08:16 AM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 23, 2012, 03:21:38 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 23, 2012, 02:59:13 AM

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 23, 2012, 01:36:41 AM

I ran into a few log in issues but eventually got to play a Demon Hunter thru the beta limit.  I guess that after seeing the new starcraft, I shouldnt be surprised that theres nothing new here in Diablo3.  It seems like a glorified expansion and Im curious as to why it took so long to get out the door.  That being said it still has the old Diablo fun factor and once I got in it ran smoothly.  Im also not too happy that they are forcing a single player gamers to face server issues. Anyways, if you liked the previous Diablos, youll likely like this one as well, warts and all.

While I admire and enjoy most (if not all) of Bliizzard's games, I believe that they are a victim of their own success. Having the luxury, budget, and all the time they want to make a game is not always a good thing.

Edit: of course I'm buying it 

Lol we are too weak to make a stand for innovation.  Bring on the demons!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #978 on: April 23, 2012, 04:51:07 AM »

You're reading this is Deckard Cain's voice.

slywink

First of all - at the point of saving Deckard is roughly the 30-35% of the beta. I ran through that in less than 20 minutes, and I managed to kill everything and find everything. Granted, it's my 8th or 10th time through, so I'm not reading or listening to stuff. The blacksmith is tiny, but then heading to the tombs is pretty open. If you explore there is tons of loot and exp. to be had.

By the time I got to the teleporter at the tombs, I had played for a little over an hour. Once again, no reading / etc. I got my monk to lvl8 and MAN have they improved him.

Bring on May 15!! (unless I end up travelling that day :_( slywink )

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 23, 2012, 05:07:07 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 23, 2012, 02:26:56 AM

Not that it was ever in doubt, but I finally pre-purchased tonight.  icon_smile Just plain old digital edition from Blizzard. No CE crap full of stuff I'm never gonna look at, read or even ogle (re my SWTOR statue). Although if it included a CE Logitech G400 mouse with specially strengthened mouse clicker mechanisms, I would've gone for that.  icon_razz

FTFY- get with the times man!  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 23, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »

IGN debuted the new Witch Doctor spotlight video:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/04/23/diablo-iii-witch-doctor-spotlight-video

The Gargantuan looks fun.  icon_cool I haven't really gotten into playing as the class, though it's enjoyable enough to play alongside WDs.

btw, this was about the most precise attempt I've seen to explain the graphics' look of D3:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662716705?page=2
Quote from: Blizzard's Bashiok
We're not particularly interested in pushing graphical limits with Blizzard games. Our intent is always to provide a timeless stylized aesthetic, while allowing for a broad range of machines to view the game with similar results. The art style for Diablo III is specifically intended to appear as a moving painting, which in general avoids very crisp textures or hard lines.

More importantly though we specifically separate background from foreground by using by using a visually unobtrusive canvas and sharper and more saturated enemies and spell effects in the foreground to elevate the gameplay. We actually specifically call it the 'canvas' because the foreground and midground elements and action are painted on top.

With the screen full of enemies, spell effects, minions, and players you don't want a busy background, because it actually detracts from the ability to quickly and easily make important skilled choices during combat. Being able to quickly and effortlessly read what's going on is more important than almost everything else, because if you can't do that then the depth of a combat system is being thwarted by the visual bells and whistles.

It's more important for us to serve the gameplay as well as design a timeless game. "Realism" in games is really only as real as the next version of DirectX or video card product cycle. By approaching with a stylized and painterly approach, we intend for Diablo III to be playable and visually appealing for as long as possible.
imho D3 looks gorgeous in action (see my various gameplay flicks and others' on YouTube). In screenshots, not so much. In fact, sometimes stills of D3 remind me of Darkstone (1999) of all things.

I think you could say the same about the first two games, although for its 1996-1997 day, Diablo actually looked pretty good in stills.

As far as being "timeless," who can say if we'll all still be playing D3 in 2027. I'll be over 60 then, and I think I'll have more worries than "When the **** is Diablo 4 coming out?"  icon_razz
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:41:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 23, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »

It's going to be a long three weeks waiting for the full game drool

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 23, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »

I started my open beta experience with the barbarian, the class I played the most in Diablo 2, and finished with the witch doctor.  I wish more of the classes were as unique as the witch doctor.  As soon as I read that I unlocked "Zombie Dogs" as a skill, I was in.  The combination of the aoe grasping skill, the aforementioned decaying canines, and the first rune upgrade for poison dart felt really strong.  What a cool surprise (liking the witch doctor).

I like the rune system, I like the flexibilty of not being stuck in a skill tree. 
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 23, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »

Just got booted, beta is over. Good fun while it lasted.

I had two CTDs while playing but otherwise no other issues. Played just the barbarian and had a ton of fun.

It's going to be a long three weeks.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 23, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »

While I was initially one of those folks who missed the "old" battle.net co-op system (setting up your own game chat room, password protecting games etc.), I did enjoy -- when the server cooperated -- joining others folks' games this weekend. Right clicking a buddy's name gives you various options including inviting him, or "requesting an invite" to his game, etc.

And it seemed like if someone on the friend's list is online you immediately get a "quick join" option (I couldn't quite tell if that meant the friend's game was "public," or if you just sort of got a "quick join" privilege cause you're on his list).

I played a bit with my Denmark bud Topper over the weekend and aside from a little lag bubble once at exactly the time he joined my game, it went very smoothly. While I haven't really found open game "strangers" obnoxious per se, most seem to want to rush through the game as quickly as possible; don't know if it'll be that way for the full game too. I tend to want to linger and explore the nooks and crannies, listen to the dialogue etc.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »

I had 1 issue with the updater not installing an update correctly (after I had played for a few hours).  Somehow the update got corrupted, or the updater itself went wonky, and I had to uninstall and reinstall the beta in order to get it to run again.  That was the only tech issue I experienced.  I think it might have been due to me running other stuff while the updater was running.

Some thoughts on the classes:
Barbarian was visceral and fun.  The sound effects of the slashing, crushing, and severing were great. I tried dual wield, but prefered laying waste with a big axe. The class definitely satisfies the up close and personal playstyle.  I had just enough time to try out the leap skill, which was awesome.  

I already mentioned the Witch Doctor above.  Unique class.  Seems really strong.  I preferred the female version.  The male kind of creeps me out.  I really liked the playstyle of using the ranged grasping skill, having the zombie dog pets, and shooting multiple poison darts.      

I thought the Wizard was a good caster until I tried the Witch Doctor (I prefered the WD).  I don't think I got a good taste for the wizard since their better stuff is at higher levels.  I liked using frost beam for range, and lightning for close aoe.  I tried using sphere plus magic missile, which worked well too.  Seemed pretty good.  Not my first choice or second choice for class at launch.

I liked the Demon Hunter, but it's definitely a finesse class, complete with skills for kiting.  At first I was kind of underwhelmed, but then I picked up a 1 handed DH crossbow, and unlocked machine gun (rapid fire?), and things started getting really fun.  I did try the rune upgrade with the chance to stun for the dagger throw, and I was surpised to see that the stun works on bosses and elites too.  It's good to know that players have at least 2 finesse classes to play in D3 with the Monk and DH.  

I'm still on the fence between starting a Barbarian or DH.  Witch Doctor is in the running too.  

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 23, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »

I never quite got comfortable soloing with the Wizard though I suspect that might change in later levels; I enjoyed it quite a bit in co-op play. The beam stuff is cool and different (visually, it helps keep the wizard from seeming merely Sorceress 2.0), though I found the frost one more effective in assisting co-op buds than as a way to rapidly annihilate stuff. I can see a Wizard and Demon Hunter being a pretty awesome, complimentary duo even when a melee type isn't around.

The Demon Hunter's Chakram (spinning deadly starfish-ish disc flying in irregular patterns) was probably my favorite skill that I was able to try in the public beta. I think they made some change to the Dodge defensive skill that seemed to make it feel easier to use/more useful. Rapid Fire seemed to be more efficient in hatred use than earlier in beta, but maybe I just had the wrong skills in place before. It was definitely my go-to over the weekend. I got a chance to try grenades (you sort of toss a shower of grenades in a limited range) earlier in beta, and I don't know if it'll be my cup of tea. It was cool visually but the grenade explosion sounds grated on me after a while, and you have to spam it to be effective (so there's no escaping the noise  icon_smile).

I'm sure like most folks I'll eventually play everything. I kinda anticipate playing Demon Hunter, Monk and Barbarian first, and the Wizard and Witch Doctor a bit later.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 23, 2012, 07:13:13 PM »

Didn't realize that this was open to everyone this weekend, so I was bummed this morning when i found out.  I decided to try giving it a shot anyway and to my surprise, I was still able to play this morning!  I didn't get a lot of time, but I did manage to finish the beta using the Witch Doctor.  What a great class; I'm already seeing several different playstyles emerge even at a low level.  I started with dart/grasp, then moved to dart/flame bats later on.  The spider skill didn't seem useful to me at first, but once you get the dogs that might be different (I never went back to try that out).  I also get the feeling that different loadouts will be more effective against different mobs or in different areas.  I like the idea of needing to adjust your skill strategy for different encounters. No more encounters that are just flat out impossible with your current build, and with the knowledge that people aren't locked into decisions anymore, blizzard should be able to create much more interesting encounters (especially at higher difficulty levels).

I was hoping to get some time in with the Wizard, but alas I am now locked back out of the beta. I did learn enough to solidify my decision that I will be picking this up day one, and quelled some concerns over how much fun/longevity this title would have with all the changes.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 23, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »

later on you don't want to adjust your skills at max level. you get a MF bonus the longer you keep the same set, but this only works at max level.

still, i think it's a neat system too. once you get some runes should be glorious.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 23, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »

MF bonus?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: April 23, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 23, 2012, 08:28:39 PM

MF bonus?
Magic Find.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 23, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 23, 2012, 08:28:39 PM

MF bonus?

for as much as you know about pokemon....  ninja
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 23, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on April 23, 2012, 04:10:37 PM

I started my open beta experience with the barbarian, the class I played the most in Diablo 2, and finished with the witch doctor.  I wish more of the classes were as unique as the witch doctor.  As soon as I read that I unlocked "Zombie Dogs" as a skill, I was in.  The combination of the aoe grasping skill, the aforementioned decaying canines, and the first rune upgrade for poison dart felt really strong.  What a cool surprise (liking the witch doctor).

I like the rune system, I like the flexibilty of not being stuck in a skill tree. 

Once upon a time I heard three words: Wall of Zombies

I have been dying to play the witch doctor ever since.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 23, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 23, 2012, 10:16:51 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on April 23, 2012, 04:10:37 PM

Once upon a time I heard three words: Wall of Zombies

I have been dying to play the witch doctor ever since.
I read some of the other skills and rune upgrades for the WD this afternoon.  Some of the standouts were:  Zombie Charger.  Zombie Bears!  Big Stinker.  Head Hunters.  Explosive Toads.  Blazing Spiders.  Rain of Corpses, and as already mentioned, Wall of Zombies. 

Reading the quotes for the passive skills provides some lore flavor for each of the classes:  http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 24, 2012, 12:48:28 AM »

The closed public beta continues btw through May 1. But now i feel i'm back to having No Friends.  crybaby icon_razz But I am going to finally try to get all my test characters to the cap and try out a few more rune thingies.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 24, 2012, 06:25:54 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 24, 2012, 12:48:28 AM

The closed public beta continues btw through May 1. But now i feel i'm back to having No Friends.  crybaby icon_razz But I am going to finally try to get all my test characters to the cap and try out a few more rune thingies.

Ahh I totally misunderstood this frown Thought they had expected the open beta, ohh well roll on the 15th

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 24, 2012, 09:58:26 AM »

Earlier in the beta some of the higher tier skills were unlocked this was before the rune changes and some of the later skills are quite powerful like the WD Firebomb and Wizard Electrocute. I've settled on a WD being my main and probably Monk as my first hardcore guy.  

Think I will finish my Hardcore Demon Hunter run tonite when I get off work

-Kato I apologize in advance when we play MP together  ninja

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 24, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »

I guess I confuse people, even myself.  icon_confused afik,
-Blizzard in the past had referred to the continuing beta as a "public beta" in that everyone's encouraged to post screenshots, movies, share impressions etc. (i.e., no cloak and dagger secrecy). Now they seem to be calling it "closed beta."
-I tend to think of "closed beta" as what's been ongoing with Guild Wars 2 for example (aside from certain media, testers aren't allowed to say boo about their experience to this point).
-I tend to think of "open" beta as this past weekend's D3 beta event, in that everyone's able to play.

Presumably this past weekend helped them get an idea of how to scale server capacity to meet demand, though I'm still nervous about what opening week's going to be like. In 2000, I was just worried about frying my dial-up modem from over use.  icon_razz
============

Oh if you're wondering why they didn't just extend the beta portion a bit longer (he hints something important happens just after the beta portion's end and they didn't want to spoil it before release):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662477428?page=2
That aside, I think that's decent feedback and I agree that being able to offer more of the game would certainly help people get a better feel for the game and its systems. Unfortunately right after the [Skeleton King] fight some pretty major plot development happens, and we simply aren't willing to compromise the enjoyment and discovery people will have on launch day by extending the 'barrier' of the beta.

So I guess it's a trade off of not showing enough of the game, or showing too much, and we went with the prior. We think it's ultimately the better decision.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:28:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »

That thread has some interesting discussions (well, sometimes arguments) about skills diversity:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662477428?page=5
Quote from: Blizzard's Bashiok
There's a large amount of diversity, and some of that is afforded by overlap in skills. With ~150 skills per class they of course aren't all going to unique in their function, which allows for overlap and customization in build choice. In addition, we find that gear as well as just play experience will influence someone's build as they go.

Someone might pick up an item with a +skill mod, and decide to swap around their build to benefit from the item. If they enjoy it they'll start building out a set that really feeds that new build. In addition to the Nephalem Valor buff which penalizes changing builds mid-game, there's a large amount of item and skill investment in perfecting a build that lends itself to sticking with it.

I know people have a concept that players are just going to be swapping around their builds all the time, and that's certainly true as things are unlocking, but at high levels there's enough investment in a build that it just doesn't really happen.

I've said this elsewhere recently, but the designers knew they were on the right track for diversity and balance when people would come up to them and say "This skill is absolutely overpowered and required to play this class" and right behind them would be another person saying the exact same thing about another skill.

There are absolutely skills that are very tempting, but different skills appeal to different people, and our intent (and what we believe we've achieved) is the ability for someone to choose a build that appeals to them and to make it work. A lot of personal taste, play style, experience, and even just aesthetics play more into build choices than people usually expect. And that's insanely exciting from both a design and player perspective.
In terms of the underlined, Strafe was "that" for me and many other Amazon-bow players in D2, at least until it was nerfed post-release. I'm hopeful there'll be many DH skills I like to use, and that I won't just use 2 or 3 actives and never want to bother with anything else.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 24, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »

Saw an interesting post just now at official forums, a fella comparing D2 and D3 Barbarians in terms of skills availability. Bearing in mind he's sort of considering the Rune Effects as skills rather than as modifiers per se.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4662477428?page=21#405
If you're wondering how that'll be with the D3 barb (# indicates when said skill or rune becomes available):
Diablo 3 Barbarian skill progression

1 Bash
2 Hammer of the Ancients
3 Cleave
4 Ground Stomp
5 Rend
6 Bash Clobber Rune
7 Hammer of the Ancients Rolling Thunder Rune
8 Leap
9 Ancient Spear
9 Cleave Rupture Rune
-
11 Frenzy
11 Rend Ravage Rune
12 Seismic Slam
12 Ground Stomp Deafening Crash Rune
13 Revenge
13 Bash Onslaught Rune
14 Weapon Throw
14 Leap Iron Impact Rune
15 Hammer of the Ancients Smash Rune
15 Ancient Spear Grappling Hooks Rune
16 Sprint
17 Threatening Shout
17 Frenzy Sidearm Rune
18 Cleave Reaping Swing Rune
18 Ground Stomp Wrenching Smash Rune
18 Seismic Slam Stagger Rune
19 Earthquake
19 Rend Blood Lust Rune
19 Revenge Vengeance is Mine Rune
20 Whirlwind
21 Furious Charge
21 Leap Launch Rune
21 Weapon Throw Mighty Throw Rune
22 Battle Rage
22 Ignore Pain
22 Frenzy Triumph Rune
23 Ancient Spear Skirmish Rune
23 Sprint Rush Rune
23 Threatening Shout Intimidate Rune
24 Earthquake Giant's Stride Rune
24 Whirlwind Dust Devils Rune
25 Call of the Ancients
25 Seismic Slam Shattered Ground Rune
25 Revenge Best Server Cold Rune
25 Weapon Throw Richochet Rune
26 Overpower
26 Bash Punish Rune
26 Battle Rage Marauder's Rage Rune
26 Ignore Pain Bravado Rune
27 Hammer of the Ancients The Devil's Anvil Rune
27 Furious Charge Battering Ram Rune
28 War Cry
28 Ground Stomp Trembling Stomp Rune
28 Threatening Shout Falter Rune
29 Sprint Run Like the Wind Rune
29 Earthquake Chilling Earth Rune
29 Whirlwind Hurricane Rune
29 Overpower Storm of Steel Rune
30 Wrath of the Berserker

31+ Another 72 assorted runes
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:32:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: