http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:20:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 82466 times)
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 21, 2012, 03:09:32 PM »

That's a fair enough opinion... but man, I think you guys are all crazy. It's advertised as an open beta/stress test, it's advertised there may be connection issues, they're clearly not doing all the things they'll do at retail for uptime, so if you bail now, based on something that has advertised and admitted differences to the way they'll handle retail, I think you're making a mistake. Just one man's opinion, of course - but y'all nuts.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 21, 2012, 03:19:22 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on April 21, 2012, 03:09:32 PM

That's a fair enough opinion... but man, I think you guys are all crazy. It's advertised as an open beta/stress test, it's advertised there may be connection issues, they're clearly not doing all the things they'll do at retail for uptime, so if you bail now, based on something that has advertised and admitted differences to the way they'll handle retail, I think you're making a mistake. Just one man's opinion, of course - but y'all nuts.

I understand what this is supposed to be.  But from a consumer's perspective, this sucks and there's no other way to put it.  I've had the game preordered since December, yet I've not been invited to any of the other betas.  Ok, that's not exactly great, but I'll deal with it.  So this is my first chance to see the Diablo 3 experience I'll have in less than a month.  The thing that's concerned me as a prospective customer is the "always online" aspect of the game since I only play single-player Diablo.  If not for that, I'd have no concerns about D3.

So what's my experience?  Well, in the last 4 hours (off and on), I've seen no less than 8 error codes - 300008, 37, 3008, 3004, 31300, 33, 61 and something else (didn't write it down) - and zero game play time.  So if this is at all indicative of the game play experience I'll have in less than a month, why the hell would I want to keep my preorder?  I'd expect some bugs, disruptions and so forth in an open beta/stress test, but not this level of disruption.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 21, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »

Blacka that error is I believe because you have selected eu as the servers, go into options and change to Americas and you'll then get the server full message smile

Euro servers arn't included in the stress test - guess they are confident if it works in us it will work in eu, so many assumptions smile

On a serious note because of the time zones I found 9am a good time to get in

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 21, 2012, 03:33:37 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on April 21, 2012, 03:09:32 PM

If we we in a room together you'd see how totally unconcerned I was regarding this - just think there are better ways.

That said expect a fairly strong post should I see a server full message on go live - I will be upset then.....

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 21, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »

No Tals, I'm on the US servers.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 21, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 21, 2012, 03:35:15 PM

All I can think then is assuming you haven't got in at all then you have a firewall issue as that error is the same you get when the server doesn't exist.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 21, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »

Quote from: Tals on April 21, 2012, 03:39:35 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on April 21, 2012, 03:35:15 PM

All I can think then is assuming you haven't got in at all then you have a firewall issue as that error is the same you get when the server doesn't exist.

You'd be wrong.  If that were the issue, I'd get the same error message.

I appreciate the efforts to help, but I looked up the codes I'm getting and they're universally Blizzard-side issues.  It even says so on their forums. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 21, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »

you guys whine a LOT about a stress test.  Are you all new to this concept?

Wait until they screw up launch, then whine.  If you can't get in, do something else.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 21, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »

I thought Torchlight had an OK story.  granted it was simple but it was enough for me to complete the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 21, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 21, 2012, 03:51:10 PM

you guys whine a LOT about a stress test.  Are you all new to this concept?

Wait until they screw up launch, then whine.  If you can't get in, do something else.

No it definitely isn't whining, and tbh if these issues are revalent at launch I would be p******. For some reason people see stress test and have no thoughts how that test could be better. I've played little over an hour of this game by choice this weekend, that's how much it's impacting my life lol.

As I said if you were next to me you'd see how seriously this isn't an issue. But I do get p****** with this it's a stress test get over it attitude more than any issue the stress test has smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 21, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 21, 2012, 05:35:27 PM

I thought Torchlight had an OK story.  granted it was simple but it was enough for me to complete the game.

It certainly wasn't the games strong point smile

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 21, 2012, 09:19:32 PM »

I'm out. I've requested a cancellation of the pre-order and uninstalled the beta. I think a few here are glossing over the stress test aspect of this open beta (which is exactly what it's called on the Diablo 3 website - not a "stress test"). It's an open beta as declared by Blizz - and it simply doesn't work.

I don't think 11 different error codes and 45 minutes of actual gameplay (over 7 hours of trying to get in) bodes well for the actual release. Frankly, it's an unmitigated disaster and I've not seen any open beta - MMO or other - perform so poorly in this decade. There's no reward or bonus for pre-ordering and I play this single-player, so there's absolutely no reason not to keep my money and wait this out. If/when they fix the problems,great, I'll reconsider. They may have them fixed by May 15th - I hope they do for the benefit of those who are sticking with it. But at this stage, I'd have to say that this is the biggest FAIL open beta in recent memory. All Blizz convinced me of was that they can't handle the one thing I was most concerned about - the online always component of the game - and failed to impress me with any evolution or revolution of the genre. I had more fun replaying Titan Quest this afternoon than I did playing D3.

As such, the only way I'll end up playing on release is if I can't get the pre-order canceled for some reason.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 21, 2012, 11:07:11 PM »

Well, we're cancelling each other out then.  icon_wink

I liked the previous Diablos but I was hardly a megafan.  I know I beat the first one, but I'm not sure if I ever got to the end of the second.  Kept on dabbling with new characters.

Anyhow, I had been taking a wait and see stance with D3, and now after just an hour of playing the open beta I'm sold on preordering.  I don't even want to play any more this weekend because I'd rather save the experience for the release.  They seem to have improved all my favorite parts and made my least favorite parts less painful.  The new skill tree system (or lake thereof) that has hardcore fans up in arms is perfect for me. 

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 21, 2012, 11:14:49 PM »

And the fun I had convinced me to get in on pre-ordering. Like you said, though - no downside to canceling the pre-order if you're that anxious about it. But I'm pretty sure Blizz isn't going to put out anything that could be called fundamentally broken on the 15th, and I liked my playthrough.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 21, 2012, 11:31:37 PM »

Finally was able to get in about 30-45 minutes ago. I really haven't been following this at all, so I was going in with no preconceived expectations. I liked the original and like many, played the hell out of Diablo 2, but I was certainly nowhere near a "hardcore" player. I did "win" Diablo 2 and the expansion on Normal, but I always got frustrated on even Nightmare difficulty. I always just kept rolling new Paladins and playing through the game over and over again. Though I think I only won Act 5 one time - I remember I always had big slowdowns during part of that act.

As for the server issues. I downloaded the client late this morning (when I heard it was open beta this weekend). I was very impressed with how quickly the download went, and thought it was neat they would let you start playing before it was done (you know, if you could log in). Naturally, I couldn't log in successfully this afternoon (I would try once an hour or so). I highly doubt I will buy this at release (more on that below), but I wouldn't worry too much about the launch. It is clear when you fire up the game that this weekend IS a load/stress test (their news updates continue to state this), and these are designed to find problems like the inability to log in and fix/mitigate them. I do think it's silly to require a login to play a single player game, but at least with Blizzard you can expect the support of the game to continue pretty much indefinitely.

As for my first 45 minutes or so first impressions - I am underwhelmed. I know Blizzard doesn't ever try to push the boundaries graphically, but I think this game looks OLD. This looks more like a 2005 game to me than a 2012 game. I am amazed that basic gaming features like camera rotation, zoom (I don't count their toggle zoom which is useless) aren't in this game. I haven't gotten far enough to evaluate the new skill system. Does the game get any lighter? It seems very dark so far - to a fault. Having said all that - it's still Diablo. Even the best of the clones like Torchlight and Titan Quest don't quite have the same magic. I sense the magic is here. Still, I can't stop myself from thinking, "It took them 12 years to make THIS?!" I think it's funny that Nintendo has (rightly) been criticized for being behind the curve graphically, but Blizzard doesn't seem to draw the same criticism. Am I wrong? Does this really look good, and I'm just missing something? My settings are all pretty much on high.

Unless I just have an awesome time with it this weekend, I doubt I will be an early buyer.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 22, 2012, 02:13:59 AM »

nobody is glossing over anything, a stress test can be part of an open beta.  They are not mutually exclusive.  An open beta is not simply a FFA demo for everyone.  It's still for testing, in this case server load.

trying for 7 hours to get in to a stress test shows some dedication, extreme boredom, or some other possibly more serious issues.  icon_eek

Put several hours in so far and have all classes at or around level 10.  Bummed there isn't much content at all for us to go through, and stopping at level 13 seems a bit early since by then classes still don't have some class defining abilities. (like mantras for monks)

Regarding graphics, it's not going to wow anyone, but it's definitely not a 2005 game.  I know people often feel like a new game has 7 year old graphics, but go actually LOOK at a game from 7 years ago...  this is much better than that slywink

This is a far cry from DII having 800x600 graphics when 1024x768 was considered low end. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 22, 2012, 02:30:36 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 22, 2012, 02:13:59 AM

Regarding graphics, it's not going to wow anyone, but it's definitely not a 2005 game.  I know people often feel like a new game has 7 year old graphics, but go actually LOOK at a game from 7 years ago...  this is much better than that slywink

This is a far cry from DII having 800x600 graphics when 1024x768 was considered low end.  

I think it looks really good visually when everything is set to high.  

I haven't played much since patch 15, but I really enjoyed the beta and already pre-ordered the digital version from Blizz.  Can't wait to really start leveling when it comes out.  I'm starting with Witch Doctor.  I just wish the male voice didn't sound like a nice old grandpa.  I wanted voodoo evil like the female WD.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 22, 2012, 02:53:15 AM »

I was intentionally exaggerating a bit with the 2005 comment, but not really by much. I certainly think Oblivion (late 2006) looks better than D3 does. I still can't believe they won't let us rotate the camera or do a more proper zoom in/out. It seems ANCIENT to not have that feature here - not that it's a big impediment to my overall enjoyment of the gameplay.

Played another couple of hours, and the gameplay does seem to have that magic Blizzard/Diablo feel that the clones can't quite live up to. From that point of view it's excellent. I am just not sure that 12 years after D2 and having played many clones that his genre still pulls at my heart strings the way it used to. I will try to play it some more tomorrow (barring login problems). I think it's interesting that the stats go up on their own here. I am not sure if I am happy or not about that. I do like some of the other "mainstreaming" of certain game mechanics. (No more identify or town portal scrolls, automatically picking up gold, etc.)

My opinion of it overall improved over the course of the evening. My first impression was that there was no way I'd buy it this year, but now I am wavering a bit.... I might wait a month or two and see what the sites and gamers say after a good bit of time with it.

-John

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 22, 2012, 03:25:47 AM »

Better zooming would be nice, but I'm very glad they designed the game without camera rotation. Rotation leads to sloppy level/graphics design and confusing gameplay.  With a fixed camera, you get better set pieces and scripted events, since the designers are able to know what you're going to be seeing.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #939 on: April 22, 2012, 03:36:32 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 21, 2012, 09:19:32 PM

I'm out. I've requested a cancellation of the pre-order and uninstalled the beta. I think a few here are glossing over the stress test aspect of this open beta (which is exactly what it's called on the Diablo 3 website - not a "stress test"). It's an open beta as declared by Blizz - and it simply doesn't work.

While you're entitled to your opinion, I think you're off base.

The login screen under "Breaking News" explains the load test / stress test (which is part of beta testing) and frankly, how many people just DOWNLOADED the client at once?

They indicated right on the login page that they were restarting servers and checking loads on the servers per region. Keep in mind that server load testing isn't something fun - it's something that a room full of analysts are going to go through to determine cost / benefit ratios. They're going to be deciding if they need to buy another 50 $40,000 servers, or if 25 should do. You getting the chance to play a game, for free, is a benefit to you - not them. If you, BlackAdar, don't play Diablo III because you misunderstood how beta testing works even after they communicate via the front-end, I don't think there is anything more they can do for you.

Even demos have statements like "This is for demonstrational purposes only, and may not reflect the final product" - certainly demos that are released before the game comes out.

In this case, all the footage I've seen for Monk makes him play WAY cooler than the first beta build I got to try him out in. I think it'd be a shame if this experience has you shy away from the game - I hope this post helps put into perspective the thrust of beta testing and their goals this weekend.

FWIW, I can sign in right now. at noon I could not.  smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 22, 2012, 03:41:21 AM »

Quote from: JCC on April 22, 2012, 02:53:15 AM

I was intentionally exaggerating a bit with the 2005 comment, but not really by much. I certainly think Oblivion (late 2006) looks better than D3 does. I still can't believe they won't let us rotate the camera or do a more proper zoom in/out.

Oblivion isn't a multiplayer game. Which multiplayer games have better graphics than Oblivion? Besides, every entry in the Diablo series has been well behind current standards graphically.

As for the camera, the game is specifically designed so that no camera rotation is needed. I know I sure as heck don't want to be screwing with the camera in the midst of a huge fight so I can see what is attacking me. This is not an issue of game tech, but of game design. It might interest you to know that Grim Dawn is being designed with a fixed camera, but they are going to give players the option to move it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 22, 2012, 03:44:42 AM »

well, that was fun.  I got the same error earlier when I tried to get in so I didn't get a chance.  tonight I am able to get in and play for a little bit.  about 5 minutes before they shut the servers down.  hope it's just temporary. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 22, 2012, 03:45:17 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 22, 2012, 03:41:21 AM

Oblivion isn't a multiplayer game. Which multiplayer games have better graphics than Oblivion? Besides, every entry in the Diablo series has been well behind current standards graphically.

Rift?

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 22, 2012, 03:48:15 AM »

Fair enough. Tera looks great too. My broader point was more that the series has never pushed the envelope graphically. Could they? Sure. But it isn't what the series is about. It's still a huge upgrade.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 22, 2012, 04:20:05 AM »

I've played in a couple three-player groups last night and tonight and it's just been mucho fun. Can't wait to play it on the tougher difficulty acts after release, and see what it's like then.

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: April 22, 2012, 05:54:21 AM »

I'm definitely in, initially I was quite surprised how it wasn't as spectacular looking as I expected but I love all the touches, the journals that read to you as you continue your game. The story is nicely done, combat is quick - though I do prefer my moba combat style to this it does work well. I like the various screens opening in a logical way so they don't clutter the screen and the comparison with equipped and non equipped. Some are obvious touches and have been done before but IMHO this is all done right. Stress test, it's fine - I still think a company that pulls in millions could have done it differently to make it a better experience, not without faults but some like server full can be predicted and can be handled better at the client end but that  wasn't going to put me off. What would have put me off would have been those initial core aspects and those are looking mighty fine smile

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 22, 2012, 12:03:32 PM »

I find it so odd that you can't switch what skills are assigned to mouse buttons except through the skill screen.  It seems like such a waste.  Until I'm in a room, I don't know if I need AOE or single target high damage.  I shouldn't have to guess.  I should be able to respond appropriately.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 22, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »

Finished the "main quest" in the beta. Definitely fun. I am tempted, but I also have a big backlog of 360 games and a smaller backlog of PC games. So, I may wait and see on this.

I still say the graphics are very dated even by Blizzard standards. I only played a trial of it, but I think Starcraft 2 looked significantly better than this game does. I also hope the whole game isn't as dark as this. I get that tombs, dungeons, and caves are dark and should be lit appropriately. I just find it hard to see stuff at times.

-John

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 22, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »

Oh and I did find an unidentified item at the end, so I guess they did leave that tedious mechanic in. Too bad.

One other thing I find interesting about this "beta" is that they reduce what you can do in the game. That's not a beta, that's a demo! smile

-John

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 22, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 22, 2012, 01:28:18 PM

Oh and I did find an unidentified item at the end, so I guess they did leave that tedious mechanic in. Too bad.

One other thing I find interesting about this "beta" is that they reduce what you can do in the game. That's not a beta, that's a demo! smile

There are no scrolls though. You just right click on the item, or maybe mouse over to discover it.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 22, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »

The difficulty scales with multi-player I hope? I played through SP with a Monk on normal and never came close to feeling threatened.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 22, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 22, 2012, 01:54:00 PM

The difficulty scales with multi-player I hope? I played through SP with a Monk on normal and never came close to feeling threatened.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4443593
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #952 on: April 22, 2012, 02:57:52 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 22, 2012, 01:54:00 PM

very much so.

Also, they got rid of identification scrolls and town portal scrolls. When you play through it again, you may find more of them.

As to the cutoff - they're trying to get a sense of gameplay, not have you look up their skirts.

I found there were quests in the MP that weren't available when you played SP. Bravo.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 22, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »

Quote from: DonD on April 22, 2012, 12:03:32 PM

I find it so odd that you can't switch what skills are assigned to mouse buttons except through the skill screen.  It seems like such a waste.  Until I'm in a room, I don't know if I need AOE or single target high damage.  I shouldn't have to guess.  I should be able to respond appropriately.
You can play in "elective" mode from the game options menu which allows you to customize your hotkeys with any skill you want. However I don't think you can expand the current number of four hotkeys.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 22, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 21, 2012, 09:19:32 PM

I don't think 11 different error codes and 45 minutes of actual gameplay (over 7 hours of trying to get in) bodes well for the actual release. Frankly, it's an unmitigated disaster and I've not seen any open beta - MMO or other - perform so poorly in this decade. There's no reward or bonus for pre-ordering and I play this single-player, so there's absolutely no reason not to keep my money and wait this out. If/when they fix the problems,great, I'll reconsider. They may have them fixed by May 15th - I hope they do for the benefit of those who are sticking with it. But at this stage, I'd have to say that this is the biggest FAIL open beta in recent memory. All Blizz convinced me of was that they can't handle the one thing I was most concerned about - the online always component of the game - and failed to impress me with any evolution or revolution of the genre. I had more fun replaying Titan Quest this afternoon than I did playing D3.

As such, the only way I'll end up playing on release is if I can't get the pre-order canceled for some reason.

I respect your opinion, but it's a stress test and the news screen when you log in even tells you they are aware of the issue. I look to StarCraft 2 and I think Blizzard will be fine on day 1.  Anyway, I think I am done with the open beta/stress test weekend.  I'll get back on later in the week

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 22, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 22, 2012, 01:44:12 PM

There are no scrolls though. You just right click on the item, or maybe mouse over to discover it.

Ha! It never occurred to me to try that! smile Kudos to Blizzard for eliminating both scrolls.

-John

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 22, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »

Is there a new town portal equivalent?  Or do you just use waygates or whateverthey'recalled?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 22, 2012, 05:57:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 22, 2012, 05:51:35 PM

Is there a new town portal equivalent?  Or do you just use waygates or whateverthey'recalled?

Keep playing, young padawan.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 22, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »

so far I've been cutting myself off right after I rescue Deckard Cain from the Cathedral so I don't spoil things too much.  how much is after that part?

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 22, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 22, 2012, 05:57:06 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on April 22, 2012, 05:51:35 PM

Keep playing, young padawan.

Yeah it's a stone you get that becomes part of the UI in one of the early quests.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: