http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 12:21:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 103220 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 18, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 18, 2012, 06:45:37 PM

I've been trying to ignore the pre-release hype for D3 and focus on the bajillion games I'm currently trying to finish, but it's not working.  I'm feeling the pull all over again. 

Same here. I played 'Diablo II' some though not a lot; also played a bit of 'Torchlight' last year. I've been watching 'Diablo III' playthrough videos on YouTube for some days now. It's a Blizzard game, which I seem to buy automatically. I'm getting sucked in and will put likely put in my pre-order in a few days.

... Damn you, Blizzard.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 18, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »

whoops.  I wonder if they'll leave it open to anyone who got in.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 19, 2012, 04:41:47 AM »

Anybody know if you can login to both wow and diablo from the same bnet account simultaneously?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 20, 2012, 05:45:14 AM »

So apparently, this weekend, anyone with a Bnet account can play the Diablo III beta. You can play all 5 classes up to level 13. I'm downloading the beta client now.  nod
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 20, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 20, 2012, 05:45:14 AM

So apparently, this weekend, anyone with a Bnet account can play the Diablo III beta. You can play all 5 classes up to level 13. I'm downloading the beta client now.  nod

Figures, the weekend I'm out of town.   icon_evil

Haavok
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »

Misguided   As of a couple weeks ago I was able to play both at same time.  I would tab out of wow while raiding when we had down time and play some D3.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 20, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »

Thanks, Haavok, appreciate it.

Quote from: Gratch on April 20, 2012, 12:18:45 PM

Figures, the weekend I'm out of town.   icon_evil

Same here!  saywhat

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 20, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »

wife took my laptop out of town! F*CK!

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #888 on: April 20, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »

Just remember kids: King Ulric's crown is always in the LAST TOMB you explore. ALWAYS. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 20, 2012, 01:54:27 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 19, 2012, 04:41:47 AM

Anybody know if you can login to both wow and diablo from the same bnet account simultaneously?

good question,  I've heard no but haven't seen anything definite.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 20, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 20, 2012, 01:49:31 PM

Just remember kids: King Ulric's crown is always in the LAST TOMB you explore. ALWAYS. slywink
pro tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: April 20, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »

I've gotten nine characters to maxed out in the various beta releases (at one point, I had all five).

Not burned out on it either - just being patient.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 20, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »

Also for our European members:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4105609/Diablo_III_Open_Beta_Weekend_-20_04_2012

Keep in mind this weekend is a stress test, and you may well (on purpose really, for troubleshooting purposes) experience your share of problems, lag, disconnects etc.
Quote from: Blizzard
What if the service is down/laggy/disconnecting me?

It's very possible that players connecting to the stress test could experience issues with the service. While not ideal, this is exactly why we're having a stress test. We want to catch and analyze as many bugs as possible during this stress test period, so that we can try to ensure a smooth launch on May 15.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen stress tests where people run around the Internet kvetching that the game is "messed up" and the "servers are totally borked!" Roll Eyes

All I'm sure of for launch is that I'll be focusing on Demon Hunter and Monk initially, then the Barbarian. I'm not sure I'll do much Wizarding and Witch Doctoring (though maybe with the revamped skill-assignment UI, my attempts at those classes won't be so messed up), but that just means I'll be looking forward to teaming up with other players that are more competent at those classes.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:13:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 20, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »

dammit, I was all set to play a monk, but noooooo, I had to go and fire up a witch doctor.....

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 20, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »

WD is fun but get much better in the later levels.  I was upset when they moved the based AE spell into the later levels but I understand why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 20, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »

Apparently the crush of players has broken the servers.  Nobody is getting in right now.  Guess that is what the stress test is for.   Tongue

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 20, 2012, 10:46:49 PM »

So I'm assuming no Mac beta? Just windows... crybaby
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 20, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »

I can't remember now but thought I saw an option other than Windows for the download.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 20, 2012, 11:28:26 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 20, 2012, 10:46:49 PM

PC or Mac.  I'm downloading Mac beta as we speak.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #899 on: April 21, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »

So far really enjoying the beta.  The sound is pretty awesome in the game and I like some of the throwback sounds that remind me of the other games.

I have vsync turned on but still see some screen tearing, other than that it has ran great and I was able to get in on the first try. 

Playing as the barbarian and watching the enemies fly is pretty awesome.

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: April 21, 2012, 01:13:28 AM »

Very much classic Diablo style play.  Played the Wizard, Demon Hunter, and Witch Doctor (Named OogaBooga).  Nice skill and skill additions as you level.  I got crafting and broke up a few magic items, havent crafted anything yet though. 

By the way your stash is shared with all characters as is your gold.

Kinda fun throwing jars full of spiders at mobs and then tying them down with ghoul hands from under the ground.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 21, 2012, 01:33:04 AM »

Dude this is Blizzard.  Mac is included!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 21, 2012, 03:14:59 AM »

Just played through the demo as a Monk. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it seemed all that more impressive or fun than Torchlight really...
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 21, 2012, 06:21:04 AM »

Played over 2.5 hours as a Monk. Got him to level 8 by the time I quit. I'm very much liking the vibe of the game. It feels like good olde 'Diablo II'--the story is there, the npcs are there, the gameplay is there, so is the music--yet it has a new, painterly, attractive coat of paint. And the action is so fast and furious, the loads of loot come at you so fast--I found myself just 'flowing' from one quest to another without pausing. Just having fun, exploring and laying the smackdown on large hordes of creatures. I'm gonna be purchasing it.

I was chatting to Shinino in game, but didn't get to do Co-op. I would like to try that before the weekend's thru. Must be double the fun!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #904 on: April 21, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »

Coop is fucking insane.  WAVES of monsters, so there's a lot less tendency to 'run around and see what you find' and more 'holy shit stay close so we don't DIE'.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 21, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 21, 2012, 01:33:04 AM

Dude this is Blizzard.  Mac is included!

Going to download!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 21, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 21, 2012, 03:14:59 AM

Just played through the demo as a Monk. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it seemed all that more impressive or fun than Torchlight really...

Torchlight didn't have a story to speak of, so whilst some of the gameplay wasn't bad at the end I lost interest playing it as it was very much rinse and repeat. When I fired D3 up I was quite disappointed with what I saw but the more I play it the more I am wow this is really really good

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »

Well, I would love to try this out, but I still can't log in.  Getting error code 37 that the servers are too busy.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 21, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 21, 2012, 11:02:44 AM

Well, I would love to try this out, but I still can't log in.  Getting error code 37 that the servers are too busy.

Just need to go in at off peak times, but hopefully this isn't indicative of release date. Not sure why they culdn't have implemented queues, they have enough experience of this type of thing

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 21, 2012, 12:20:33 PM »

Quote from: Tals on April 21, 2012, 11:39:53 AM

Just need to go in at off peak times, but hopefully this isn't indicative of release date. Not sure why they culdn't have implemented queues, they have enough experience of this type of thing

Figured as much, which is why I tried at 6 AM eastern this morning, but apparently that is peak time for somewhere.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 21, 2012, 12:25:05 PM »

The whole point of this is a stress test, remember? No point if they have the servers at smooth, playable capacity - they want to turn all their fancy queue management off, throw as many players on individual servers as possible, and see just how far they can push it before the server melts down.

Really, I'm sort of shocked by how many people read 'open beta/stress test' as 'official demo' - it's not always about you.  icon_wink

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 21, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 21, 2012, 12:20:33 PM

Figured as much, which is why I tried at 6 AM eastern this morning, but apparently that is peak time for somewhere.

I wonder if that is indicative of another problem?  I signed in several times last evening between 8 and 11 PM EST with no problems.  Or maybe I was just lucky!
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 21, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on April 21, 2012, 12:25:05 PM

The whole point of this is a stress test, remember? No point if they have the servers at smooth, playable capacity - they want to turn all their fancy queue management off, throw as many players on individual servers as possible, and see just how far they can push it before the server melts down.

Really, I'm sort of shocked by how many people read 'open beta/stress test' as 'official demo' - it's not always about you.  icon_wink

I get your point, but are you saying when the servers are maxed that this is what will happen and they didn't predict this. I expected an issue getting in but a little bit bet than having to endlessly retry logging in. It is a beta but I'd view part of the testing to be how they handle maxed servers and how it currently dos it is not acceptable. Cross fingers it will be handled better at release.

Actual game when I get in is pretty impressive

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 21, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »

True, I'm definitely hoping Torchlight 2 has more of a story behind it. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy this... I'm just not sure I will $60 enjoy it...

Quote from: Tals on April 21, 2012, 09:59:16 AM

Quote from: Azhag on April 21, 2012, 03:14:59 AM

Torchlight didn't have a story to speak of, so whilst some of the gameplay wasn't bad at the end I lost interest playing it as it was very much rinse and repeat. When I fired D3 up I was quite disappointed with what I saw but the more I play it the more I am wow this is really really good
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 21, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »

Quote from: Tals on April 21, 2012, 01:35:21 PM

Quote from: Clanwolfer on April 21, 2012, 12:25:05 PM

I get your point, but are you saying when the servers are maxed that this is what will happen and they didn't predict this. I expected an issue getting in but a little bit bet than having to endlessly retry logging in. It is a beta but I'd view part of the testing to be how they handle maxed servers and how it currently dos it is not acceptable. Cross fingers it will be handled better at release.

Actual game when I get in is pretty impressive

They completely predicted this. From the open beta page:

"It's very possible that players connecting to the stress test could experience issues with the service. While not ideal, this is exactly why we're having a stress test. We want to catch and analyze as many bugs as possible during this stress test period, so that we can try to ensure a smooth launch on May 15."

The whole point of a smoke test like this is to push their servers to the absolute limit, so that when they do the retail launch, they know exactly what their worst-case scenarios are, and how quickly they can get back up and running from them. Basically they have three days to figure out, when this thing goes retail, if they're looking at the load getting so high it crashes their servers, overwhelms battle.net logins, etc. The best way for them to do that is artificially restrict the number of servers, and get right to the threshold where they start to see issues. If anything, I'd guess they're probably taking down even more servers at off-peak times, to try and keep their utilization as close to 100% as possible.

This way, they can spend the next couple of weeks analyzing any crashes, bottlenecks, etc, and figure out what they need to prepare for May 15. If everyone can play all weekend without issues, it probably means they weren't stress-testing right (or their servers are damned amazing). Their ideal should be that everyone has mild issues all weekend - just a little bit of lag, just a little bit of crashing, etc, so they have the maximum amount of useful data - yeah, endlessly clicking retry sucks, but I'd guess they're bringing servers online bit by bit by bit, until they can -exactly- handle the traffic they've got.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: April 21, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »

You are purposely missing my point, I don't have a problem in stress tests with slowness difficulty to connect, crashing tbh any difficulty on the test, but I expect it to be properly catered for. My issue is that they should treat this as a live event - it is after all less than a months to release so I am surprised that they do not have a better mechanism to handle when a server is full beyond a very basic server full message and having to rinse and repeat with no idea if you can get in or not.

Let's wait to release but I truly hope no one sees a server full message on release and having this random I may get in but most likely I won't. If memory serves me right wow had this on release and shortly afterwards implemented the queues, all the wrong way round IMHO. I could be wrong about which mmo put the queue in after release and no doubt after the stress test when no doubt good intentioned fellows argued as you do smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 21, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »

Let's say they have a big red button that says "implement queues."  It bypasses all the problems.  

Retail release?  You definitely hit that button to keep your customers happy.  Look into the problems later.

Beta stress test?  Maybe you specifically avoid hitting that button so you can watch your servers actively breaking so you can better spot the problems right then and there.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 21, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »

Possibly, I think I'm on a losing wicket re this argument. I could state queue lengths etc can also be tuned so they can push more or less people to a server. I could also argue that if they are planing to implement queues that it would be pertinent to stress test those as well but I suspect I will be wasting my breath and better just to wait for a release smile

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 21, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »

I don't have an issue with stress testing... but with advertising it as open beta weekend, an open beta that doesn't work it only such good advertising  Tongue
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 21, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »

There's a difference between a stress test and presenting something that's utterly broken to prospective customers.  If the stress test was an effort to get me to cancel my preorder, Blizz is getting close to "success"

I started this morning at 6:45AM and couldn't create a game. I repeatedly got Error 300008 or something like that.  I never could get a game to start and so I went to run a 5k.
Then I spent 20 minutes trying to log in and getting Error 37 (sounds like I'm not the only one).
Now I finally made it past the login screen, but I'm getting Error 3008 and can't start a game.

So the results are thus far over an hour trying to play the game, 3 different error messages, no play time.  Color me unimpressed. 

I'll give it a bit more time, but If it's this crappy on 4/21, I don't have much hope for it being smooth on 5/15.  It's easy enough to cancel my preorder and transfer the money to another game.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: