http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 03:27:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 105216 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 02, 2012, 06:32:21 AM »

debating how much free playtime I want to enjoy.  I just worked my way through a horde of undead, and not sure how many times I want to go through that part again.  still, game looks nice, leaning more towards keeping the CE instead of trying to make money off of it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 02, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »

soulchilde#1845  oh  IN!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 02, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 02, 2012, 10:13:20 AM

man, they'll let anyone in

(except me)
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 02, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »

This would be the first beta I got into that you didn't... makes me all warm & fuzzy inside  icon_biggrin

Seriously, I am not a hard core Diablo player so I was surprised to see my invite this morning.   Anyway, Hark, I'm sure you'll get in because it looks like they will take forever pushing this game out

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 02, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »

TQ fanboys get invited last  ninja
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:48:14 PM by skystride » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 02, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »

I did finally get the notification email later in the evening too.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 03, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »

Just got in, shockingly it doesn't work too well on a Macbook Air. That's all I got for awhile.

They don't pull invites do they? Now that I am in, I don't have to worry about losing it before I have a computer that can play it do I?
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 03, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »

[quote aNouthor=Lee link=topic=5678.msg843317#msg843317 date=1328262674]
Just got in, shockingly it doesn't work too well on a Macbook Air. That's all I got for awhile.

They don't pull invites do they? Now that I am in, I don't have to worry about losing it before I have a computer that can play it do I?
[/quote]
No, and your beta participation will be linked to your account forever. You might get a special in game item for participation when d3 goes live.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 03, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »

Damn - I'd love to play it but no invite for me.  I checked my battle.net account and it shows me signed up with system specs.

crybaby

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 03, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »

I got in before Hark?   icon_twisted
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: February 03, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »

Just checked my bnet, no idea how long i've been in but apparently i'm in...gonna check it out.

Now i'm curious how the game's been shapin up...havn't been keepin up with it at all.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 03, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »

Ugh.

So, 6,999,999,997 people got in, while only three of us here did not?   crybaby

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »

Four.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 03, 2012, 08:53:22 PM »

Make that five...
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 03, 2012, 08:54:01 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on February 03, 2012, 08:17:56 PM

Just checked my bnet, no idea how long i've been in but apparently i'm in...gonna check it out.

Now i'm curious how the game's been shapin up...havn't been keepin up with it at all.

Don't tell those that didn't get in, but it's as close to electronic dream sex as you can get.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 03, 2012, 09:02:59 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 03, 2012, 08:54:01 PM

Don't tell those that didn't get in, but it's as close to electronic dream sex as you can get.

Yeah but when the game comes out, they get to have sex with a virgin and you get used goods  icon_twisted
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 03, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »

Six.  crybaby
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 03, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »

Quote from: skystride on February 03, 2012, 09:02:59 PM

Quote from: msduncan on February 03, 2012, 08:54:01 PM

Yeah but when the game comes out, they get to have sex with a virgin and you get used goods  icon_twisted

True, but my experienced Diablo will be willing to get a little more freaky a lot faster than their virgins will.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 03, 2012, 11:00:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 02, 2012, 10:38:09 AM

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 02, 2012, 10:13:20 AM

man, they'll let anyone in

(except me)

don't worry, there will still be plenty of barrels to smash when you do get in.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #699 on: February 04, 2012, 01:17:42 AM »

I created a female barbarian with the best name I could think of: KirstieAlley

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 05, 2012, 05:19:04 AM »

I've become quite quickly bummed out on Dialbo 3.

I feel like they ripped out a lot of what i loved about Dialbo 2 but didn't add anything in to replace it.  Feels like a barebones dialbo 2 so far.

My main complaints are lack of skills trees with skill choice allotments and stats, I don't feel at all like i'm building my character anymore.  I cannot get past this as i feel zero attachment to my toon.  I'm playing a generic action game figure through a generic action game the only goal of which is loot, not building the most awesome build of which loot is just a big part of where you have to find loot specifically for your build and the avaialbility to you of it's part of how and what builds you can create etc.

I can't call my character or the game and action rpg character/game. I can find no role playing elements....such as character building and customization.  All wizards are apparently exactly the same etc.

Beyond that,  there appears to be exactly no pet classes unless i'm missing something blindingly obvous here.   All my D2 characters that made it past normal ended up being skellemancers, trapsins and druid's focusing on pets and something.  It's just the playstyles i ended up enjoying more than button mashing barbarians or amazons.  Nothing in D3 appears to be anything other than a non stop button masher with no pets....i love pet classes and get attached to working my pets.

So for me, from my experience so far with the D3 beta, i'm glad i did not pre-order it, i don't intend anymore to buy it.  I should have paid more attention tot he press and talk on it i guess cause i was all excited about ti but i'm already completely turned off of it. It holds zero excitement for this long ttime Diablo 2 player after i've spent some time with the beta.

Sad cause now i gotta let my friends know not to count me in on the planned hardcore groups...i really loved D2 hardcore games but can't see how i'd be interested here...i'm not sure i'd actually care if my character died since i can't seem to feel any attachment to them.

PS: Yes, I considered trapsin a pet class...your pets were turrets.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 05, 2012, 05:29:01 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on December 12, 2011, 07:24:04 PM

Come on, you are all just kidding yourselves.  This is one of the coolest CEs of all time!  Artwork book, behind the scenes, skull thingy AND a USB soulstone!!  You had me at USB soulstone!!!!!   icon_lol

If it'd been a USB stripper pole....they might have had me....

But there's no Gat here...and no stripper poles...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 05, 2012, 07:04:33 AM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on February 05, 2012, 05:19:04 AM

I can't call my character or the game and action rpg character/game. I can find no role playing elements....such as character building and customization.  All wizards are apparently exactly the same etc.

Beyond that,  there appears to be exactly no pet classes unless i'm missing something blindingly obvous here.   All my D2 characters that made it past normal ended up being skellemancers, trapsins and druid's focusing on pets and something.  It's just the playstyles i ended up enjoying more than button mashing barbarians or amazons.  Nothing in D3 appears to be anything other than a non stop button masher with no pets....i love pet classes and get attached to working my pets.

1) I don't think this beta is a fair comparison of the final product without runes.  Each ability has 5 x tweaks that completely changes the game imo.  If you look at the game guide you can see what each rune does for each ability.  They really missed the mark by not including those, but I guess they are still working on them at this point.

2) Witch Doctor has pets.  
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 05, 2012, 09:00:01 AM »

I'm not a big D2 fan, but I definitely think you're missing something Fuzz.  There is plenty of customization AND there is a pet class.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #704 on: February 05, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »

Dreamshadow#1980 here... no relations to BSG 1980. smile

Working my way through for the Overachiever achivement.. why?  Because I like achivements.   *presses the pavlov button again*

Interesting..  There are achievements where I've earned the later versions of (Elite Kills 35, 50) but I've not gotten the 10 and 20 versions of.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:39:01 PM by Dreamshadow » Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: February 05, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »

Is there a way to compare your followers gear to an item you are mousing over in your bag? 

Also, I just found out that if you hold down control when mousing over a skill, it shows you the advanced tooltip with actually dmg% increase, etc etc.  Just FYI.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 05, 2012, 10:07:03 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 05, 2012, 07:04:33 AM

I can't call my character or the game and action rpg character/game. I can find no role playing elements....such as character building and customization.  All wizards are apparently exactly the same etc.

Beyond that,  there appears to be exactly no pet classes unless i'm missing something blindingly obvous here.   All my D2 characters that made it past normal ended up being skellemancers, trapsins and druid's focusing on pets and something.  It's just the playstyles i ended up enjoying more than button mashing barbarians or amazons.  Nothing in D3 appears to be anything other than a non stop button masher with no pets....i love pet classes and get attached to working my pets.

1) I don't think this beta is a fair comparison of the final product without runes.  Each ability has 5 x tweaks that completely changes the game imo.  If you look at the game guide you can see what each rune does for each ability.  They really missed the mark by not including those, but I guess they are still working on them at this point.

Ok, didn't realize witch doctor was a pet class from whatever brief description i read.  I'll go give it a shot.

regarding runes, sounds interesting, i didn't see a hint of it in game, i'm assumin from what yer sayin they've just withheld it from beta?  Is there gonna be custom builds with it and synergies and all that cool stuff?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 05, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on February 05, 2012, 10:07:03 PM

Ok, didn't realize witch doctor was a pet class from whatever brief description i read.  I'll go give it a shot.

regarding runes, sounds interesting, i didn't see a hint of it in game, i'm assumin from what yer sayin they've just withheld it from beta?  Is there gonna be custom builds with it and synergies and all that cool stuff?

Check out this link, it's from the official Blizzard game guide:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch-doctor/active/

Look at the right column for runestones, it shows you examples of what each runestone does for the ability.  So you can see that each ability has a boring base spell, but then when you socket a rune it changes it sometimes drastically.  When you play MP with other characters, the synergies will come into play. 

The runes are not in the beta yet because I think they are still working on them and finalizing what they'll do.  It could even be how they work, considering how they've just  made some major changes in the last couple weeks. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 06, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »

1) I don't think this beta is a fair comparison of the final product without runes.  Each ability has 5 x tweaks that completely changes the game imo.  If you look at the game guide you can see what each rune does for each ability.  They really missed the mark by not including those, but I guess they are still working on them at this point.

Ok, didn't realize witch doctor was a pet class from whatever brief description i read.  I'll go give it a shot.

regarding runes, sounds interesting, i didn't see a hint of it in game, i'm assumin from what yer sayin they've just withheld it from beta?  Is there gonna be custom builds with it and synergies and all that cool stuff?

I think I explained it pretty well a few pages ago, but yes, the intention is/was that the runes and loot are what make the character build, supposedly with the version they were working on there were like a bazillion different combinations.  Now of course they are in the process of revamping things so that could quickly change yet again.  But either way I'm pretty sure there's no way the game will come out without some sort of customization capability.  The fans would riot.

That said, I have to wonder aloud again what exactly they hope to accomplish with this so-called Beta Test.  It's feeling more and more like a demo, but a very very limited one.  I can imagine many people like Fuzz being turned off by what appears to be a completely simplified and gutted system where you don't make many choices, except for what skills you want to employ at a given time.  And even that can be kind of aggravating, particularly in the beginning of the game.

Edit: here's my example from the WD:

So let's say I choose "Summon Zombie Dogs" as one of my skills.  Eventually I get an Alabaster lvl 1 runestone, which allows me to upgrade my Zombies Dogs to "Leeching Beasts" that return a small % of their damage to heal you.  A while later I get a lvl 2 Alabaster, but also an Indigo runestone.  If I use the Alabaster I upgrade the amount of heal %, but if I swap to the Indigo the skill morphs into Life Link, which has the dogs absorb x% of the dmg I am taking.  Or I might choose to use that Indigo for a different skill, like Corpse Spiders, and that would allow me to add a Queen Spider to that skill.

So the runestone system should constantly have you upgrading and making choices of how/what to upgrade on top of which skills to keep active.  Every skill can have 1 of 5 runestone upgrades, and each runestone (apparently) has 7 ranks of upgradeability.  So there will still be tons and tons of upgrading to do and even tougher choices to make, just with a different twist.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:51:38 PM by rittchard » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 06, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 06, 2012, 06:47:29 PM

1) I don't think this beta is a fair comparison of the final product without runes.  Each ability has 5 x tweaks that completely changes the game imo.  If you look at the game guide you can see what each rune does for each ability.  They really missed the mark by not including those, but I guess they are still working on them at this point.

Ok, didn't realize witch doctor was a pet class from whatever brief description i read.  I'll go give it a shot.

regarding runes, sounds interesting, i didn't see a hint of it in game, i'm assumin from what yer sayin they've just withheld it from beta?  Is there gonna be custom builds with it and synergies and all that cool stuff?

I think I explained it pretty well a few pages ago, but yes, the intention is/was that the runes and loot are what make the character build, supposedly with the version they were working on there were like a bazillion different combinations.  Now of course they are in the process of revamping things so that could quickly change yet again.  But either way I'm pretty sure there's no way the game will come out without some sort of customization capability.  The fans would riot.

That said, I have to wonder aloud again what exactly they hope to accomplish with this so-called Beta Test.  It's feeling more and more like a demo, but a very very limited one.  I can imagine many people like Fuzz being turned off by what appears to be a completely simplified and gutted system where you don't make many choices, except for what skills you want to employ at a given time.  And even that can be kind of aggravating, particularly in the beginning of the game.

Edit: here's my example from the WD:

So let's say I choose "Summon Zombie Dogs" as one of my skills.  Eventually I get an Alabaster lvl 1 runestone, which allows me to upgrade my Zombies Dogs to "Leeching Beasts" that return a small % of their damage to heal you.  A while later I get a lvl 2 Alabaster, but also an Indigo runestone.  If I use the Alabaster I upgrade the amount of heal %, but if I swap to the Indigo the skill morphs into Life Link, which has the dogs absorb x% of the dmg I am taking.  Or I might choose to use that Indigo for a different skill, like Corpse Spiders, and that would allow me to add a Queen Spider to that skill.

So the runestone system should constantly have you upgrading and making choices of how/what to upgrade on top of which skills to keep active.  Every skill can have 1 of 5 runestone upgrades, and each runestone (apparently) has 7 ranks of upgradeability.  So there will still be tons and tons of upgrading to do and even tougher choices to make, just with a different twist.

That's a great analysis ritt and I really think that most people are going to miss that since the beta is so basic as it is now.  I can't wait to get into the meat of this game when it's finally at retail.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #710 on: February 06, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »

Here's buying a car from a used car lot ... now here's a Lamborghini buying experience.

IMHO, they've shown with the beta that they have already surpassed Torchlight WITHOUT adding the layers of customization.

The only thing I want them to add is voicecomm ASAP, and perhaps a full emote system (like WoW) so people can do crazy things like dance. I was also not crazy about the AH, especially if there is no option to use in-game gold.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 07, 2012, 12:53:31 AM »

Quote from: Purge on February 06, 2012, 07:30:48 PM

IMHO, they've shown with the beta that they have already surpassed Torchlight WITHOUT adding the layers of customization.

Ummm, no disrespect to you or Torchlight, but why would you think Blizzard's endgame goal with one of the biggest PC franchises of all time is to surpass Torchlight (or even TL2)?  Their biggest challenge is themselves, i.e. Diablo 2.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: February 07, 2012, 03:21:53 AM »

I think the point I'm making is missed on you.

It IS important because surpassing a dungeon-crawling item-whoring experience isn't just about a game that has been on the shelf since June, 2000 - If devs only tried to improve on their own model without looking at the rest of the current market, Duke Nukem Forever would have been rated "alright" instead of "complete waste of time".

Torchlight, Titan Quest, and others have tried to improve on the formula, and they have proven to the market that Blizzard is not the only game in Tristam. But, with this Beta, they've put out a enough of it to show off that they are to be taken seriously.

With 12 years since the last game, there is an entire generation of gamers who don't have that nostalgia to drive their interests to Diablo ]I[.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 07, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »

Your logic falls apart if you draw a comparison to Starcraft 1 & 2. Blizzard can innovate as much I as little as they want and sell games just fine.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #714 on: February 07, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »

Starcraft II is a different beast. You don't have all of Korea out-buying the North American market for Diablo.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 07, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 07, 2012, 03:21:53 AM

Torchlight, Titan Quest, and others have tried to improve on the formula, and they have proven to the market that Blizzard is not the only game in Tristam. But, with this Beta, they've put out a enough of it to show off that they are to be taken seriously.

Sorry Purge, but all TL, TQ and the others have proven to Blizzard is that they have NO COMPETITION.  I loved both those games, and have played countless others like them, but without a persistent server tying them together, they weren't true contenders.  Putting together a single-player only ARPG is not in the same depth as Diablo 2/3, where not only do you have to worry about balancing everything out for the core game, you have to consider an over-arching online economy and to compete with D2, provide the service for free.  The games that have had online presence like this have pretty much stunk or failed.  Path of Exile is the closest thing to offering all the same features that Diablo 2 did, and it's still not out.  Even TL2 which will add multiplayer is still not providing persistent servers.  In terms of online persistence with no monthly fees, the only successful ARPG has been Guild Wars, but GW was a different type of game, not a traditional loot and level ARPG.

All that said, I do agree the demo offers great gameplay in its own way.  They certainly have the core feel of the combat down.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #716 on: February 08, 2012, 01:08:09 AM »

Wait, when is "persistent server" a big bullet point on a game? How much did that rank Homefront over Halo? Game experience matters, and while Starcraft II got some pretty good reviews, I've found, with people I know and play games with, that it wasn't the mecca that Starcraft was - save the rabid fanbase.

Blizzards market isn't *just* you and I. With WoW they've gained a much bigger audience - the casual gamers. Diablo 2 to today's new gamers is as much as Marathon 2 is to the Halo Frat Boys. Much like the Wii, Blizzar's WoW has tapped into a much larger pool, but unlike Nintendo, haven't driven us off with their product line that panders to the lowest common gaming denominator. So what this beta has done (IMO), is shown that the core game, PLUS limitless character developments (using the Rune system) means that this isn't just a 5 item slot, slightly better graphics version of Diablo 2. It has competed with contemporary games, rather than just being a revamp. Diablo 1 and 2 does have a coherent mythos, but the trials and tribulations of Tristam and the Horadrim are not something ingrained in every modern gamers psyche - the last game was 12 years ago.

So I'll agree to disagree. It's not important enough to type any more about it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 08, 2012, 04:13:08 AM »

Diablo III : Titan Quest :: World of Warcraft : Earth & Beyond

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Titan Quest, and I wasn't that big of a Diablo II guy, but the "competitors" you are saying Blizzard has to fight off are tiny gnats in comparison to the Blizzard behemoth.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #718 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »

In all honesty, both genres are in remission. But they do have to prove themselves- they don't exactly have a gigantic stable of IPs to draw from, and while WoW is their bread and butter, they need to have more than one basket.After the disappointments of last years big revival (duke) its nice to see that bliz is taking their time and really thinking this through.
Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 08, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 08, 2012, 01:08:09 AM

Game experience matters, and while Starcraft II got some pretty good reviews, I've found, with people I know and play games with, that it wasn't the mecca that Starcraft was - save the rabid fanbase.

Do you have facts to backup that SC2 was a flop for majority of gamers?  Every news article I read talks about amazing sales numbers in North America and that it's the number one e-sports game in the world.  I'm pretty sure it's not just a Korea thing.  I don't have the numbers but I'm pretty sure that it's probably the number one online game in North America too (even bigger than a game like League of Legends which is huge).
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: