http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 65   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 85895 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 20, 2011, 06:20:20 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 20, 2011, 05:01:50 PM

K officially staying out of this thread now.

Blackout and all. I want this so bad I can taste it - I don't need to read about it.
OK, then I'll post videos so you don't have to read about it. Just give me a few more minutes.  icon_smile Hey, don't blame me. Blizzard told us to talk about it, post screenshots, videos etc. I'm trying to be a good soldier.  icon_smile If I didn't like it, if I found it disappointing in anyway, I'd be the first to say so. I didn't like WoW, and haven't played SC2 much since completing the campaign, so I'm not like a Blizzard junkie per se. This game is just much more in my wheelhouse than its other offerings..  icon_cool

If you think it's torture, think about getting a taste of it and not being able to play past what amounts to a chunk of Act 1. That's torture, man!  icon_lol Though hopefully all this repeat play is pointing out what could probably still use tweaking in the game, including difficulty balancing.

While I'm sure this will still run on a pretty wide variety of PCs, I do suspect the physics engine (there's a slider to tune that) and destructibility stuff is going to push the envelope more on system reqs than the first two games did. I hope the testing reveals whether NVIDIA and AMD/ATI need to do some driver magic for compatibility's sake. fwiw, it has been very stable for me on my so-so system and card (ATI HD 5670). I have had some slowdown in co-op sometimes, other times not -- hard to say if that's server related (lag), or frame rate stuff on my end.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 20, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »

I've been looking at the screenshots and the only thing that's getting me excited is the prospect of eBaying the CE I've got ordered, so maybe videos of the game in motion might indeed help. 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 20, 2011, 06:38:08 PM »

Nobody ever accused Diablo I and II of being "eye candy" games. The play mechanic's the thing. I find the new look grows on me, but initially I thought I was playing Darkstone in 1999. icon_smile Then again, Diablo II was a 640X480 rez game with a 800X600 "option" in 2000, and a lot of people thought initially it was pixelicious, and that Diablo I actually looked better. In the end, D2's gameplay won over most skeptics.

I think something similar will happen with D3 (though I'd never claim D2 looks better), but if you want the game to look like a pretty, high end FPS that requires a Crossfire video card set up for an acceptable frame rate, this is Not That Game and you should sell your CE.  icon_smile However, in terms of fun factor, variety, animations, destructability, physics etc., it's a blast, imho.

I posted a compilation video of a couple Soul Jar event experiences. I don't consider it spoiler-ish per se -- Soul Jar's not a storyline quest thing, just a very fun dungeon "event." And the text in game will explain to you pretty much what's going to happen once you activate it.

Soul Jar event gameplay footage from public beta of Blizzard's Diablo III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2edsyrQMkkw
*This also has some decent footage of the Demon Hunter and Monk in heavy duty combat, alongside the Templar follower. I zoomed in/out with the camera. Although I didn't initially think D3 would be too playable with the zoomed in view, I think it works pretty well with the melee types (Barbarian and Monk), and it's more playable in that view  in fairly open areas like this Dungeon room imho.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:49:13 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 21, 2011, 01:48:11 AM »

I'll try to do a compilation video of action from each class. What class do you guys want to see more action of first? I'll try to get something together after The Walking Dead episode tonight.

I seem to have a lot of Monk and Demon Hunter footage. I guess I deleted some files early Saturday cause the .AVI video files take up so much space and were about to drown my hard drive. So that gives me an excuse to re-try the other classes. I am trying eventually to get them all to the public beta cap (13), as they have some interesting skills available around 11-12.

Although I have some co-op footage, it's been laggier in co-op Saturday and I've sometimes had frame rate issues, which doesn't make for the best vid snippets.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:51:46 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 21, 2011, 02:23:31 AM »

I'm just generally interested in anything that highlights what sets the new classes apart from those in the last games.  How different is a witch doctor from a necromancer?  How different is this barbarian from the last?  What can a wizard do that a sorcerer or sorceress couldn't?
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 21, 2011, 03:12:15 AM »

Not gonna say I'm blown away by the screenshots...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 21, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 21, 2011, 02:23:31 AM

I'm just generally interested in anything that highlights what sets the new classes apart from those in the last games.  How different is a witch doctor from a necromancer?  How different is this barbarian from the last?  What can a wizard do that a sorcerer or sorceress couldn't?
You might find this Diablo 3 Wiki esp. useful in seeing the differences/similarities of D3's characters compared to D2's:
http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_3_Basics#Character_Classes

Barbarian skills:

http://www.diablowiki.net/Barbarian_skills
*All the favorites (leap attack, throwing weapon, whirlwind, war cries) are there but there are some real show-stoppers later, including an ability to temporarily call in the Ancients (the 3 stone Barbarians that come to life in D2's LoD expansion, when you have to defeat them to earn the right to enter a gateway).

TIPS:
-Set an area melee attack like Cleave to one of your mouse buttons so you can easily open up to 8-10 barrels at one time, saving a lot of mouse clicking.  icon_smile Ground stomp might also work, and both skills are good for obliterating large groups of lesser targets if you're repeating lower level content (as if we're forced to do in beta to reach L13 beta cap).
-Use leap attack to leap from one level down to another (who needs stairs?). And for now you seem to be able to leap right through closed gates too.

===================
Demon Hunter skills:
http://www.diablowiki.net/Demon_Hunter_Skills
*Hand bows let you "duel wield," although it seemed like a conventional bow or xbow still offers better DPS. Favorite Amazon skills like Multi Shot and Strafe are there but not available within the beta level cap.

TIP: Chakram (L7) feels weird at first due to its irregular flight pattern. But use it and love it -- when you start tackling large packs deeper into the game, it is devastating and fun to use. You can "spam" it and I think have up to 4 of the flying Chakram discs flying around at once. I suggest backing up a bit before you "toss" it -- it's difficult to hit a point blank target with it.

=====================
Monk skills:
http://www.diablowiki.net/Monk_Skills
*In some ways this seems like a hybrid of LoD's Assassin (melee attacks that "charge up") and D2's Paladin (healing and reflexive damage "mantras," and a charging ability that seems to turn you briefly into an Intel "blue man" icon_cool).

TIP: Just remember you have to do the same spirit generator attack usually 3 straight times to get its full "kapow!" power that hits more than one target. Never let up.  icon_smile If you don't like to click fast and often, you might prefer a different class.  smirk

Witch Doctor skills:
http://www.diablowiki.net/Witch_Doctor_Skills
*No corpse explosion per se, although I enjoy spamming the suicidal "zombie charger" who gives a little poison explosion on contact. And zombie army stuff much later in the game.

TIP: You can spam Zombie Chargers; i.e., you don't have to wait for the first one you sent to blow up before you send another one.
=============================
Wizard skills:
http://www.diablowiki.net/Wizard_Skills
*This is far from a sorceress re-do as the skills aren't broken down by elemental type. Some favorites are there (blizzard, meteor, teleport for example), but none of those are available within the beta level restriction (13).

TIP: So far I suck with this class so who am I to give tips? Frost Nova could make you popular with other players. Melee classes might not appreciate Wave of Force's knockback though it's basically a life saver for a solo wizard. Spectral Blade gives you a neat little area short-range attack but it's wimpy damage even if it has a nice sound.
=======================

And keep in mind this isn't an MMO (no 5 hotkey trays with 56 skills on them etc.). You won't get to use more than maybe a half dozen of these skills at one time (Passives are a separate tree), assigned to Left Mouse button, RMB and 4 or 5 keys (depending on if you decide to keep health potions assigned to one of those). The Runestone stuff should in theory customize all that enough to provide some flexibility/variety.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:56:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 21, 2011, 11:29:01 PM »

Although Blizz's D3 forums don't seem to have a dev tracker, going through the summaries of posts by Blizz officials there pulled up some things of interest...

Trial version
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3530214682?page=2#27
Quote from: Bashiok, community manager
We're definitely looking into having a trial version available at some point, as we do for World of Warcraft and StarCraft II.

Pick Up All Items feature (area effect): (Nov. 4)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3530333118?page=9#161
Quote from: Bashiok
This is one of those user experience issues where some players really want convenience, and we have to sort of fight back against that for the betterment of the experience and enjoyment of the game.

It potentially sounds ridiculous. Of course convenience means you're able to have more fun, right? Actually it can seriously degrade even short term enjoyment of a game.

We maintain that the act of clicking to pick up items is important for a few reasons. It obviously allows you to pick and choose what you actually want to pick up, and that's actually an important player choice. And it happens a lot. You could argue that you want to pick up everything! For gold this is true, there's never a reason not to pick up gold, but for items the reality is that in the long term it's pretty unlikely that you're always going to want to pick up every item that drops. In fact I'd personally guarantee it. And for all of the convenience options we have, all of the streamlining, making the game easy to approach (but difficult to master), and all that junk, the fact remains that Diablo is about clicking, clicking, clicking. It works. It has always worked, and we know that it's integral to the formula of why it does.

In my personal outlook, it's a situation where - and this is potentially getting into the psychology of games a little - your direct interaction with the game, where upon completion of a goal (killing demons) you're presented a reward (phat lewt) it's important that you're involved in actually receiving the reward. Hitting a button to vacuum it all up devalues that system, and ultimately the enjoyment of the game.
NOTE: Currently in beta, you automatically vacuum coins as you get near them, and there is an item modifier that includes your "gold collection radius." You still click items, scrolls etc. to get them.

Some players think the tiny "companions" called in by a scroll (I've seen an insect, and then a scorpion summoned) to auto-collect gold are a waste of time and others find it a neat feature.

Hatred Generation [Demon Hunter] (Nov. 4)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3530353763#5
Quote from: Bashiok
Thanks! Keep in mind that we're playing around a lot with Hatred generation/spending. Overall we like it, but some of the numbers are just off - especially in the beta. The nature of testing and deploying an update just means the build you're playing on is already a few weeks old.

For example on the current internal version Impale costs 25 Hatred and does 275% weapon damage, and Hungering arrow is a generator.

We'll try to share those types of things when we can.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 22, 2011, 05:28:22 AM »

It took a while to pile up enough video footage to do a class video compilation. Here's one...

The Monk in Diablo III Beta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvWWxnS_oUI
*NOTE: This is in 720HD so you might choose that via the menu and go for either the largest "video size outline" in the lower right, or try full screen. I think this ends up less distorted in the YouTube player than 1080HD vids.

I didn't annotate the video, but basically the early snippets are mostly using Fists of Thunder and the "ranged melee" Deadly Reach, with a few helpings of Lashing Tail Kick. When you see things stunned, I'm using Blinding Flash. Later on the really colorful attack is Crippling Wave. The charging "blue man" attack is Dashing Strike. The cool attack in the last clip that keeps blowing up tombstones is Exploding Palm (available at 12), which should be awesome with the destructible environments.  icon_cool

And yes, you'll see things a bit laggy here and there. Could be the server, could be my mediocre video card, or it could be "it's a beta!"  icon_smile
=============
One tidbit I should add -- while the quests and "events" aren't rocket science, there are sometimes things you have to "complete" by doing something, and that'll spawn a loot reward and give you the quest exp. I didn't realize at the end of the Soul Jar event that you need to "smash" the jar to complete the event and get your reward until I ran it a second time.

There's another quest (not a main storyline quest but more of an optional dungeon thing) where you collect something from three locations... I was so focused on the battles involved, I didn't notice there was a fourth location that you take stuff to, to complete the quest. When I was doing that again last night to get some more Monk video footage, I definitely had a "doh" moment and saw the fourth location I needed to visit to complete the quest fully.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:56:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 22, 2011, 02:26:25 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 14, 2011, 10:52:55 PM

Stop the presses! Hell froze over!

First though, I'll have to check my bnet account to make sure it wasn't the most clever phishing attempt ever.  icon_smile

Looks legit...

Just got my Beta invite as well. Funny thing is the next email I got was my SWTOR beta invite too. Screw em both. I'm playing Skyrim! I'll check out D3 though even though I only played DI & II single player.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 22, 2011, 03:51:07 PM »

Quote from: Jag on November 22, 2011, 02:26:25 PM

First though, I'll have to check my bnet account to make sure it wasn't the most clever phishing attempt ever.  icon_smile

Looks legit...
Just got my Beta invite as well. Funny thing is the next email I got was my SWTOR beta invite too. Screw em both. I'm playing Skyrim! I'll check out D3 though even though I only played DI & II single player.
If the e-mail asks you for your battle.net ID, password etc., it's not legit. If it simply tells you to log into your battle.net account etc. (it shouldn't tell you to follow a link in the e-mail itself) and then take a few steps there to d/l the beta client and play, then it's almost certainly legit.

fwiw, you can play D3 single player (even though you have to be "online" to play), and if you don't want the Templar follower's help later on, you just dismiss him and he'll stick around town. The beta is set to "private" games, invitation only by default, which is basically single player.

I like co-op in theory but at least in the test, as if I've said maybe too often  icon_smile, people constantly rush through the whole thing like they have a plane to catch. I ended up using leap and charge skills just to keep up and have some beasties to kill.

This in spite of the fact D3 has no run/sprint key. Your default speed is pretty quick, there are movement speed modifiers and passive skills that speed you up etc. Maybe Blizzard's biggest difficulty will be giving anyone a reason to slow down and savor things a bit, rather than acting like there's some big reward for completing the game in the shortest time possible (there isn't afik).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:53:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 22, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »

Damn you people!  I fully expected to be invited by now.  Still nothing for me.  I saw a few people on Facebook talk about getting in last night, must have been a new push of invites.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 22, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 22, 2011, 03:51:07 PM

Quote from: Jag on November 22, 2011, 02:26:25 PM

Looks legit...
If the e-mail asks you for your battle.net ID, password etc., it's not legit. If it simply tells you to log into your battle.net account etc. (it shouldn't tell you to follow a link in the e-mail itself) and then take a few steps there to d/l the beta client and play, then it's almost certainly legit.

First thing I did was go to Battle.Net and there it was.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 22, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »

Well, I just found out that I'm going to have to do the authenticator hoop jumping, as my old phone went in the drink and the restore didn't move the settings over to my new one.  icon_confused

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 22, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 22, 2011, 03:58:10 PM

Damn you people!  I fully expected to be invited by now.  Still nothing for me.  I saw a few people on Facebook talk about getting in last night, must have been a new push of invites.
Although you can enter into a "beta key sweepstakes" at the official Facebook site, I'd seen a Bashiok (community manager) post saying they send far more invites via plain old "opt in" on your battle.net account page.

And they've actually said that many people just play the public beta for a while (a week, two, something) and then just quit. If enough people clearly stop playing it, then it gives them some reason to invite more folks into it. So you should probably hope folks like me get bored and quit cold turkey. I expect that to happen once SWTOR head start occurs.  icon_smile

It really isn't that long a chunk of Act 1, and you pretty much have to slum (fight much lower level beasties) from about 8-13 if you want to reach the beta cap which, honestly, gets boring after a while -- I would not recommend after release, wasting time one-shotting things 5 levels below you (the novelty wears off, even if you still get some xp).

Though there are enough interesting skills at 12, that I really want to try to get each class to it at least. I want to do that and get some more video footage for some more class compilation vids, and then I'll probably retire from beta and try to make room for others.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 22, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »

This actually one game I couldnt care less about getting a beta invite for it.  I probably wouldnt even use it.  Id prefer to go into the world of Diablo once again, fresh with no pre release game play.  Ive even avoided all the videos and such.  When I play Diablo 3 it will be all new to me.  and thats the way (a-huh, a-huh) I like it.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 22, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 22, 2011, 06:20:06 PM

This actually one game I couldnt care less about getting a beta invite for it.  I probably wouldnt even use it.  Id prefer to go into the world of Diablo once again, fresh with no pre release game play.  Ive even avoided all the videos and such.  When I play Diablo 3 it will be all new to me.  and thats the way (a-huh, a-huh) I like it.
I couldn't care more, so therefore I've canceled you out.  Tongue

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 23, 2011, 03:13:59 AM »

I did some more demon hunter play tonight and tried to get some footage of some fun stuff like Rapid Fire and Elemental (nice, burning, penetrating... <insert vulgar joke here>) Arrow... Elemental is very much Da Bomb, and very conservative in hatred use. If I can just stay awake, I'll get a Demon Hunter compilation vid up soon...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:58:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 23, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »

I fell asleep. icon_razz And watching my compilation vid, I kept thinking "Needs More Cowbell!" ... um... or at least, "Needs More Chakram." I also got the DH to 11 so I could get a little Grenades footage in. It's a "hatred builder," so you can use it as a main attack if you want. Very different.

Without further adieu...

Demon Hunter Gameplay Footage from the Diablo III Public Beta (not quite 5 minutes long)
http://youtu.be/NmbEVcNrcYU

Bolo sort of ties a fiery explosive around the target's neck briefly, the flashy bright red skill is Rapid Fire, the fireball-ish projectile is Elemental Arrow, the flying star-shaped discs is Chakram, and the stuff in the last clip is Grenades.

*NOTE: As with before, this is 720HD, and much of this is me beating up on lower levels on repeat playthroughs. I've also found it fun to sort of "herd" large groups of enemies into one area before showcasing the skills. I think you get a glimpse of just about every Demon Hunter attack skill available in the beta (which is really just a small sampling). The area attack bow skills are too high for beta (multi-shot, strafe, molten arrow etc.).

And you'll notice my character gasping for Hatred a lot. That should be less of an issue around L12; at that point you can have 4 skills active, and there's a Passive that grants about 10 Hatred w/ each "health globe" you pick up off the ground.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:58:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 24, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving from the ... Barbarian!  Bring your own!

Barbarian Gameplay Footage from the Diablo III Public Beta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaBgH1Gn-C4
Like Christian Bale in American Psycho, you may need to wear plastic. Barbarians get messy.  smirk

*This is a mix of two 1-handed swords and one 2-hand sword footage, with a wide variety of the sampling of skills you can get within the L13 beta limit.

The one spin attack is not whirlwind, and it's more of a "bleeder" attack meant to sort of nick everyone around you. Frenzy (which speed up attacks to a certain point and has a cool animation) is glimpsed early on. Leap attack's still a hoot. You may not gain an appreciation of the differences from D2's Barbarian because of the beta level restriction blocking out a lot of promising later stuff.

it's pretty crazy how far some enemies fly when using a 2-handed weapon. Axes, polearms, sickles, maces etc. have some cool animations but I mostly stuck with swords. I think all the swords in this footage are basic "Apprentice"-level crafted ones from the blacksmith. They are useful right away at the level when you can initially make them.
============
fwiw, my Profile has my hours played like this:
Monk: 24 hours, 18 minutes
Demon Hunter: 16 hrs., 20 mins.
Barbarian: 15 hrs., 32 mins.
Wizard: 3 hrs., 47 mins.
Witch Doctor: 3 hrs, 4 mins

So I think you can see where my preferences lie.  icon_smile I am gonna try to squeeze some more time in on those last two classes so I can do some video compilations on them too. The Witch Doctor is very effective, I just don't enjoy it as much as the more "active combat" classes. The Wizard I just plain struggle to be effective solo with (which I'm sure changes at higher levels).

Generally speaking, I found the Barbarian and Monk the most "click-heavy" classes. I'd be most likely to wear out my mouse buttons. Possibly my wrist too, although after 63+ hours with the beta, I've had no wrist issues at all. Very pleased that for whatever reason, this game doesn't seem to bring back my Titan Quest Tendinitis ... so far. Who knows what the higher difficulty modes could bring?  paranoid

I'd say the Demon Hunter and Wizard feel the least click-heavy. Esp. later (post-beta), DH has lots of attacks that hit multiple targets and do lingering damage. I can't wait to see how Runestones modify the Chakram flying discs. And pet-heavy classes tend to require less clickness.

Not sure about the Wizard, click-wise. Some of its nastier later skills are more like a continous damaging "beam," which you keep on and then point around (almost like a flashlight beam).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:00:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 25, 2011, 09:20:35 PM »

I finally committed to the Wizard and just hit the level cap with her now (L13 in beta). I'll have a video up a little later. Got the final skill (Disintegrate, one of these "continous beam" skills) so just want to get a bit of video of that.

Once the Wiz hits 10 and you can get the passive that gives you 10 Arcane Power for each Health Globe you run over on the ground, it makes a world of difference, and Arcane Power gobblers like Arcane Orb become a lot more usable. I also found the Energy Twister very "spammable" and useful and fun to watch.

The armor spells (ice armor, diamond skin, storm armor) imho are useful if you use the Spectral Blade (kind of a cool "area magic melee" skill), or if you just buff a traditional weapon with Magic Weapon and wail away. But if you get into using Energy Twister, Arcane Orb and Electrocute (or something like that -- that combo was good for me), you'll probably be frying and zapping things long before they ever get close enough for an Armor spell to have any effect.  icon_smile

I would say a difference from D2's Sorceress is you really aren't locked into one type of elemental spell attack (the Wizard's skills aren't divvied up like that), yet you could choose to focus on a "theme" if you wanted to at the Skills Altar and be mostly fire, or mostly lighting, mostly frost etc. though there isn't a Signature Skill that's frost oriented. The Signature ones gradually decrease in Arcane Power consumption as you level up.

A few sorceress "classics" are in there further on up the skill list, including Hydra (19), Blizzard (26) and Meteor (27).

I put my D3 beta vids in a little play list for easier linking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7551DC9110BA7328
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:25:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 25, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »

I got an email inviting me to play Diablo 3 for free for 90 days. Sounds legit.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 26, 2011, 12:28:10 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 25, 2011, 09:31:38 PM

I got an email inviting me to play Diablo 3 for free for 90 days. Sounds legit.
*throws shoes at CeeKay*.  *Fist Shaking* icon_razz

Here be the Wizard compilation video:
Wizard Gameplay Footage from the Diablo III Public Beta
http://youtu.be/aA2ameBoQw0
*NOTE: As always, this is 720 HD video, so click the 360P in the lower right of the video player and probably the largest of the 3 icon button "video size" choices for the best detail. The server was kind of crappy today (laggy sometimes and other times I'd "unsynch" from the game and everything would stop), which I blame on SWTOR.  icon_razz

I included a bit of what appears to be a similar trap to "Soul Jar," this time with a chest that you open in the middle of a room and then some interesting "respawn" gizmos pop up. I found this in a far corner of the "Cathedral 4" level, which is just below the final boss battle in the beta.
=====================
Maybe the biggest fundamental gamplay change is there's really no "potion spamming" per se. There are no mana potions at all, and health potions have a really long cooldown after use. "Health globes" drop frequently from enemies, and certain passives let you benefit from the health globes in other ways -- the Wizard's ability to get some Arcane Power from each health globe pickup is key at 10 imho, for example.

This all takes just a little bit of getting used to when you first start playing, though it all eventually becomes second nature.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:14:51 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 28, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »

What are you using to regen mana?  Is it potions or some other system?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 28, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on November 28, 2011, 01:26:52 PM

What are you using to regen mana?  Is it potions or some other system?
There's really no "mana" in D3. They call it "Arcane Power," and your Wizard regenerates it automatically (takes a little time). At L10, you unlock passives; eventually there's a passive where any "health globes" (dropped by fallen enemies) are converted to 10 Arcane Power. So by that point (I guess about 12), you rarely run out of Arcane Power unless you're spamming one of the more costly skills.

This makes the Wizard a bit different/unique from the other classes, which have "generator" skills to build up their "arcane power equivalent." So the Demon Hunter has skills that "build" hatred, and then skills that "expend" hatred. You can't realistically just slot "hatred expenders," cause your Demon Hunter can't regenerate that automatically.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »

Do you find all that stuff fun/interesting or is it a hassle having to concentrate on resource management rather than just killing stuff?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 28, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on November 28, 2011, 02:39:11 PM

Do you find all that stuff fun/interesting or is it a hassle having to concentrate on resource management rather than just killing stuff?
You have it backwards.  icon_smile "Resource management" imho was having to constantly run back to "town" to buy health and mana potions over and over and over again. That's basically gone from D3. Poof. I mean, you can bring 30 health potions but given the lengthy cooldown you don't really need to fixate on them.

So I find it fun, addictive, etc.  icon_smile Even within the beta limits, I could easily say "I'll just play Demon Hunter an hour or so to get more video footage" and then BOOM, it's 3 a.m. and I'm like "What the hell happened?"  icon_cool

It just takes a wee little bit of experimenting at the "skills altar" to balance your choices between stuff that generated something and stuff that expends something. It's really not hard to find a mix that works but initially you might find characters "gasping" a bit for their "attack fuel" (hatred, etc.).

You can tell from the beta forums there are plenty of D2 fans who don't want change and would rather have Diablo 2.5 (something with more modern graphics that plays and has a skills system identical to D2). To Blizzard's credit (imho), they didn't want to settle for that. And I assume the fact virtually nobody is left from The Blizzard North/Condor teams that worked on the first two games, it's not really a surprise D3 is noticeably different from D2/D1 even if it's basically the same gameplay mechanic and isometric viewpoint.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 28, 2011, 09:22:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 28, 2011, 05:03:23 PM

You can tell from the beta forums there are plenty of D2 fans who don't want change and would rather have Diablo 2.5 (something with more modern graphics that plays and has a skills system identical to D2). To Blizzard's credit (imho), they didn't want to settle for that.

I honestly don't think someone can make a proper judgment on the skill system until they see the Runes and how they play out in a build and build ideas.  As it stands in the beta, the skill system really does feel a bit lackluster when compared to Diablo 2, particularly in the earlier levels when you are stick with only 2 active skills. 

I don't understand why they aren't allowing at least some rudimentary runes into the beta testing, as it seems like the fundamental aspect that will ultimately make or break this new system.  Even if we guess a June release you'd think they'd want to do some more extensive testing sooner rather than later.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 28, 2011, 10:42:23 PM »

While I realize "using it" is different than reading about it, you can view every single runestone and read the description of how each works at the site (this particular one's the Barbarian's, but you can click around to see others):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/barbarian/active/
*Hover mouse cursor over each runestone effect name to read its tooltip description.

You can see videos of several runestone effects:
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/runestones.xml

Judging from those videos posted in late May at Blizzard's D3 "The World" web site (which for some reason is hard to get to from the official D3 site) -- which only showed a character by itself in an empty environment demonstrating various runestone effects -- I'm guessing they're a fairly late addition to the game and most likely aren't ready for open testing at this point (as opposed to internal and "friends and family" continued testing). Balancing all those different effects sounds like a nightmare.

I mean, 5 different runestone effects unique to each skill on each of 5 classes. I counted 22 skills for the Barbarian. That's 110 totally different runestone effects for one class. That means they're somehow trying to have 550 different (well, maybe a tad overlap between characters, but most of what I see is different) runestone effects, and they have to balance all that and bug test all of that.

As much as I'd like to sample more of the game or try the runestone stuff, this public test is basically a testing of server stability and how the game runs on a variety of systems. They've emphasized that repeatedly at the beta forums.

I could certainly argue that if you're going to introduce 550 unique runestone effects into the game, you oughta test that on as many systems as possible. I mean, maybe casting whirlwinds that then cast other whirlwinds is gonna blow up my ATI video card, right?  icon_eek My guess is either they don't have a way to "partially" implement runestones in the public beta test build, or they feel the internal and friends/family testing is getting them all the runestone feedback they need.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »

Blackjack, a question for you:
My favorite D2 classes were Elemental Druid and paladin. Elemental druid because of the nice spell effect graphics, and because molten boulder was the most fun skill in the entire game biggrin
Paladin because he could hold his ground, whatever the odds (mostly), and had auras to support others.

Do you think any of the D3-classes offer these things? Does the wizard or witch doctor have nice big spells with a lot of "oomph" (like molten boulder)? Can a barbarian or monk resemble a paladin-playing style?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 04, 2011, 03:07:38 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on November 29, 2011, 10:05:24 AM

Blackjack, a question for you:
My favorite D2 classes were Elemental Druid and paladin. Elemental druid because of the nice spell effect graphics, and because molten boulder was the most fun skill in the entire game biggrin
Paladin because he could hold his ground, whatever the odds (mostly), and had auras to support others.

Do you think any of the D3-classes offer these things? Does the wizard or witch doctor have nice big spells with a lot of "oomph" (like molten boulder)? Can a barbarian or monk resemble a paladin-playing style?
Sorry to take so long, been preoccupied.  icon_smile

*In terms of skills, the monk has the most Paladin-like I've seen so far. That includes both protective and damaging auras (labeled  "mantras"), the ability to heal the group. And attacks that damage multiple targets. No shields of course (staffs and brass-knuckle type things). And of course it's a very "religious" class (I could see a Monk and a Paladin enjoying conversation at a pub... while the other classes said "what the HECK are they going on about?"). ninja2 The one thing Paladin-ish the Barbarian has is a "Furious Charge" attack that knocks back enemies, and causes damage both "at the destination" and along the way (no shield's required though, afik). That's in the early L20s I think.

Because the beta is limited to L13 I can't really give you any first-hand insight on whether there's something as fun as molten boulder in the game. Late-game, the Wizard has meteor and blizzard (like D2's sorceress), and the Barbarian has whirlwind and a showstopper "Call of the Ancients" that calls in those 3 legendary barbarians from the LoD expansion (Talic, Korlic, and Madawc) for 15 seconds -- that should be something to see.  icon_cool I could go on, I just don't quite see a molten boulder on the lists so far.  icon_smile

You might fish around Diablo Inc Gamers' (formerly diabloii.net/diabloiii.net) wiki site, which lists all the D3 classes' skills, to see what sounds good. Here's link: http://www.diablowiki.net/Main_Page

All 5 classes I've tried seem fine at tackling any sort of group within the beta's limited confines (which is a relatively small segment of Act I, and only up to L13, character-wise), I just found the Wizard took me the most time to get comfortable with and find a mix that was effective for me. Since you've got the Followers (far tougher, and more interesting than D2's hirelings imho) for backup, once you've unlocked the first one, you can always call on that for backup if you need it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:15:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 04, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »

Patch 7 apparently went up Dec. 1 (the beta client auto-started today on my PC, and started d/l the new version). They have wiped all the test characters to date.  tear icon_razz And cue the Darth Vader march music... the trial version of the real-currency-based auction house is now in place! @#$(*&%

Here's the Patch 7 notes:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3123246179
Diablo III Beta Patch 7 – v.0.4.1.7931
Released 12/1/11

General
-A trial version of the Diablo III Currency-Based Auction House is now available for testing. To learn more about how this feature will work in the beta, please review the FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4024156/ [testers get "50 beta bucks" to try it with]
-In order to fully test the Currency-Based Auction House and its features, all characters have been wiped. Please note that this wipe will also affect gold, achievements, followers, and artisans.

Bug Fixes
-The Blacksmith will now properly unlock for all players after completing the quest "A Shattered Crown: Talk to Haedrig Eamon"
-Fixed an issue with viewing Achievements while in a Public Game
-Fixed an issue where players in a Solo Game were being kicked by a "party leader"
I found it amusing the FAQ had to allow for miscreants thinking they can "sell" their beta bucks or otherwise cash them:
Q. Is this real money? Will I be able to cash it out?

The 50 Beta Bucks are being provided as nonmonetary virtual currency for beta testing purposes only.  It will not be possible to cash this money out or to utilize it for any services outside the Diablo III beta test.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:19:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 04, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »

The number one reason I was looking forward to D3 was because I was sure the Assassin would make a comeback, as it was such a fun class to play in D2.  Wrong.

BJ:  Is the monk the closest class to the D2 Assassin?  If so - does he get any traps or any psionic type range abilities later on do you know?  I have purposely stayed away from video of the game, but if he doesn't get traps, who does?  I'm gonna guess the hunter chick.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 05, 2011, 04:47:09 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 04, 2011, 04:24:08 PM

The number one reason I was looking forward to D3 was because I was sure the Assassin would make a comeback, as it was such a fun class to play in D2.  Wrong.

BJ:  Is the monk the closest class to the D2 Assassin?  If so - does he get any traps or any psionic type range abilities later on do you know?  I have purposely stayed away from video of the game, but if he doesn't get traps, who does?  I'm gonna guess the hunter chick.
Please keep in mind the public beta is limited to L13 characters, so I can't really give you any firsthand insights on skills that are largely later in the game. I'm happy to share my deep thoughts with Jack Handey on what I've read and stuff.

That Wiki page I mentioned to Rocketman in the earlier post is your best bet for seeing if your D2 favorite skills (or something akin to them) are there in some form:
http://www.diablowiki.net/Main_Page

*In terms of traps, Demon Hunter has a "spiked trap" skill at L16. There are various "area slow downs" like the DH's
"caltrops" or the Witch Doctor's "Grasp of the Dead" that might sort of be considered traps.

*Within the beta's limitations, the melee-focused Monk is probably the closest to Assassin in terms of fisticuff attacks, and is very satisfying and lively to play. Deadly Reach (L4) gives you a 25-yard "ranged melee-spirit" attack early, and you eventually have ranged charge-at-targets attacks like Dashing Strike (L6) and Tempest Rush (L16, not in beta).
============
Although I always thought of the Barbarian as a popular character and assumed that's why he was making a return appearance, in interviews Blizzard said they found things either wrong or lacking with the Barbarian that they wanted to improve upon, and thus that's why they brought him back. Other character types aren't returning (at least as it stands) simply because the D3 team doesn't think (rightly or not) that they could improve upon their D2 iterations.

I suspect we will see cameos by the various D2 class types because a Necromancer NPC plays a key role in Act 1. And they seem open to the idea of bringing back some other D2 classes as playable, but if that happened, I suspect that'd be in an expansion.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:50:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 05, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »

had a chance to play the beta this weekend. I played a monk and they were a lot of fun. The spirit system works nicely. Do smaller attacks to build it up then unleash your powerful attacks on hordes of enemies. I was constantly getting bonuses for killing 10+ mobs in a single explosion or killing 20+ in whatever time limit they have.

I like how the crafting is much more fleshed out too. It's the basic mmo formula, but I guess beats putting things in a cube.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 05, 2011, 08:34:05 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 04, 2011, 04:24:08 PM

The number one reason I was looking forward to D3 was because I was sure the Assassin would make a comeback, as it was such a fun class to play in D2.  Wrong.

BJ:  Is the monk the closest class to the D2 Assassin?  If so - does he get any traps or any psionic type range abilities later on do you know?  I have purposely stayed away from video of the game, but if he doesn't get traps, who does?  I'm gonna guess the hunter chick.

Seems to me like Demon Hunter is clearly the "trap" portion of the assassin:

Caltrops at Level 2
Spike Trap at Level 16
Sentry at Level 18

Entangling shot and grenades are kind of like some of the assassin's skills as well.

To me, DH looks like a clear cross between Bow-Amazon and Trap-Assasin, which is pretty cool because I think I was one of the first people to play a Bow/Trap Assassin when LoD came out, even wrote a guide on it smile

As BJ mentioned, the martial arts portion clearly went to the monk.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 07, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »

WOOT just got my invite!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 07, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »

I just checked my spam folder and I'm in too!

Diablo III FREE for 90 Days - Offer Expires December 31
Eligibility: You must be 18 years or older, and October 18, 2011 or before registration of the "World of Warcraft" and you continuously use the full version of accumulated more than three months.

Blizzard is based out of Shanghai right?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 07, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »

ya I've received those.  I just check my actual account to be sure, and lo and behold this time it was true!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 10, 2011, 12:54:56 PM »

Some non-beta news...

Diablo III Full Cinematic World Premiere Dec. 10 (tonight)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4081403/Diablo_III_Cinematic_World_Premiere_at_the_VGAs-12_9_2011
Be sure to tune into Spike TV’s Video Game Awards [tonight], December 10 at 8:00 p.m. / 7:00 p.m. Central. Diablo III’s full opening cinematic will make its world premiere during the show.

It seems an appropriate time to share how the tone is set for our forthcoming game, as Spike has announced that they’ll bestow their second-ever Gamer God Award upon Blizzard Entertainment’s three founders, Mike Morhaime, Allen Adham, and Frank Pearce.
I think every time a Blizzard appearance like this happens now, you can hear Bill Roper crying Flagship Tears somewhere in the world.   crybabyicon_razz

P.S. Glad you guys got in!  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:58:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 65   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: