http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 09:45:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 103515 times)
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 02, 2011, 07:11:08 PM »

Consensus seems to be that it's Blizzard fucking with us and pimping their annual WoW subs. I do not play WoW. Assholes.
Crabbs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 02, 2011, 07:12:53 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on November 02, 2011, 06:57:59 PM

Anyone else have 'Diablo III (Coming Soon)' showing under your Battle.net 'Your Game Accounts'?

It's just a teaser frown doesn't seem to have a bearing on whether you're in the Beta or not.  When I load my accounts page it starts out saying "Coming Soon" and then changes to the "Sign up for the World of Warcraft Annual Pass and get Diablo III® FREE!"

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 02, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »

Anyone else have 'Diablo III (Coming Soon)' showing under your Battle.net 'Your Game Accounts'?
Yeah I get the same on the Accounts screen:
Your Game Accounts
Diablo III® (Coming Soon)
Visit the Community Site.
I'm waiting to see a "Your friend said you were added to the Diablo III beta test but you really aren't yet are you, loser!" Tongue note added to my account.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:17:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: November 03, 2011, 03:06:12 AM »

I got the same.
YOUR GAME ACCOUNTS
DIABLO III
Diablo III® (Coming Soon)
Visit the Community Site.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 03, 2011, 08:08:06 AM »

i just checked, it said for an instance and turned to the WoW year sub. omgomgomg cock teased so hard.
Crabbs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: November 03, 2011, 12:34:06 PM »

New Beta Patch incoming soon, which also means a new round of invites smile

We're currently in the process of preparing the next beta patch for release. As part of this patch, we'll be wiping all characters and items (including those placed on the auction house).

While a specific ETA is unavailable at this time, please note that Beta Patch 5 may go live as early as tomorrow afternoon.

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: November 03, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »

You're killing me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 14, 2011, 10:52:55 PM »

Stop the presses! Hell froze over!

First though, I'll have to check my bnet account to make sure it wasn't the most clever phishing attempt ever.  icon_smile

Looks legit...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:56:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: November 15, 2011, 02:26:58 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 14, 2011, 10:52:55 PM

Stop the presses! Hell froze over!

First though, I'll have to check my bnet account to make sure it wasn't the most clever phishing attempt ever.  icon_smile

Looks legit...

Go here to check:
https://us.battle.net/account/management/index.xml

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 15, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »

I played just a little bit last night. As per the beta experience, I hit a black screen (couldn't even alt-tab to the desktop) and had to turn off my computer to get out of it. No permanent damage though.  icon_smile

Some screenies (there's no NDA):

*They're still pushing RealID

*The graphical look actually reminds me of a gorier Torchlight, of all things.

*While I certainly prefer the graphics to D2's pixeliciousness, my only beef is characters seem too tiny in the default view (I tried several different resolutions, and everything just seemed small to me). At the zoomed view, you just can't see enough of the surroundings to be effective. I guess I would've liked something in between.

I found the character selection too clever. Instead of Male/Female buttons, it's symbols, which I didn't even notice.  icon_razz

What little combat I did felt good. There's a pretty satisfying "crunch" to things, even just firing the initial "bow pistols." It's something many bargain Diablo clones I've tried just don't quite get right.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:32:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 17, 2011, 06:41:55 AM »

Put in several hours tonight. Damned if it isn't still addictive.  icon_cool

I set it up in Steam as a non-Steam shortcut just to get some conversation going... "WHAT?"  icon_smile Chatted a lot with EngineNo9 to share what I was finding as I played. Other guy was "ARGH I've been trying to get in the D3 beta for a year!" and another was "Get me a key!" Sorry, wish I had that power.  icon_smile

Some pix:

Chakram (spelling?) is pretty awesome fun to use, once you get use to the irregular flying pattern of these huge star thingies. You can have several flying around at once. Just make sure to fire it in the direction you want it to go...

The cool thing about the "bow pistol" is that you can wield a shield in your offhand, and you will block regularly (there's a nice "Block" text to confirm when you've blocked). There are quivers, but the ones I've seen just have a modest stat modifier of some sort and don't otherwise seem to improve bows. I guess the idea is if you're using a regular bow (and can't use a shield then), you can at least use a quiver in the offhand to get some enhancement.

The engines is not, well, Crysis 4 or whatever, but it's very colorful, and renders a lot of destructability and fine detail like here.

Hey it's Diablo -- get re-used to the idea of piling up a lot of crap in inventory quickly.  icon_smile You eventually earn a stone that lets you recall to the nearest town -- it takes several seconds to complete, so it's not something you can use willy-nilly in combat. Most of the stuff in the left 2 columns there is for crafting -- you eventually "unlock" the blacksmith via a quest so don't panic if you "complete" the pages and don't have anyone to turn it into yet. As I found.  icon_smile The health potions stack so no more health pots gobbling up inventory -- you can easily break them into smaller stacks if you need to.

I guess you get your own little GollumTM to help fetch gold. Not clear on if he's a temporary or permanent companion.

A few random observations: (many might already know this stuff)
-Lots and lots and lots of voice work for your character, all the vendors and many, many NPCs. It's not SWTOR (there aren't fancy cutscene animations per se), but I really do dig all the voice work. It's all very polished and it's a nice break from walls of text in hack'n'slashes. I feel that way about the voices being just about everywhere in War in the North too.
-As you move around near gold, you'll automatically snap it up. You can still click on every pile in sight but it's a lot less wrist wear 'n tour to just move around in the general vicinity and auto-pickup. You still have to click items, afik.
-While you still use LMB and RMB for attacks, you do get to use 1-4 keys for a few more attacks. The idea seems to be to let you have about 6 slots by 24, and to encourage you to try a bit of everything and maybe swap now and then.

-While Demon Hunter has all the Amazon type attacks we know and love (including Strafe, and Multishot and Elemental Arrow), there's a lot of interesting skills that are fresh, and the need to "build up hate" is kind of interesting. No arrow supplies to worry about, but you do probably wanna keep one good "hate builder" attack slotted so you aren't constantly gasping. The Discipline tree provides some interesting, almost Ninja-like abilities, including smoke screens and shadow stuff and leaping, along with a turret.

I love Chakram or Chakam or whatever. I'll have a hard time bringing myself to not equip that.  icon_cool

Anyway. Dammit, I needed sleep early tonight. D3 beta made me fail miserably at that. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:48:43 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 17, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »

I should've added, all keybinds can be changed. So if you liked using the Function (F1, F2 etc.) keys in the older games, you can still choose that here:

Got my first Follower, Templar...

*It might be oversimplifying to call Followers souped-up mercs with cool backstories, but that's what they seem like on first glance.  icon_cool They seem like fun. If you prefer to play solo but like a little reliable company, there ya go.  icon_smile They have some skills, and seem to be designed to complement the player's.

As far as difficulty goes, I haven't felt too challenged through most of Act 1. A few certain kinds of enemies can hurt my character noticeably but I haven't had to resort to a lot of potion guzzling.

imho, definitely a game where you want to be careful about saying "just one more level." Most of the dungeon levels are pretty massive and "just one more" can take a while...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:19:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 17, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »

Few things before I actually try to focus at work:
-I like that now they can have actual stairs upwards/downwards/spiraling and you can have battles on them (i.e., arrows going downwards and upwards noticeably). It's a small thing, though I think it adds a lot in terms of variety to dungeons. imho that's half the battle with these things, even with randomizing -- can you vary the look and design enough to not get tired of going through dungeons again and again. I like what I see so far in Act 1.  icon_smile

I don't think there's any particular advantage to say, firing from up high down below. I just like it visually.

-They put a lot of effort into having enemies coming from everywhere. Out of the ground and barrels, but also breaking out of what seemed to be average walls, crawilng out from behind walls and ledges etc. I don't know if any of that will scare anybody but you can't ever really feel safe no matter how mundane a given environs might seem to be.  paranoid

-Gold piles up so quickly I can focus more on dismantling loot for crafting, and that's fine by me though it took me a while to get used to it (probably cause in War in the North I'm selling every piece of scrap constantly). The vendors have a simple "buy back" list of the most recent things sold to them. I like that you can make some pretty useful stuff right away (made a helm with +4 to all attributes from the get-go).

This is in contrast to most of my MMO crafting experiences, which is "make tons and tons of worthless crap to reach the point of making anything remotely decent you might want to use." I understand, esp. with monthly fee MMOs, you want people to time-sink crafting. But I prefer how it's handled here, so far.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:01:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 17, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »

Few other things:
*Forget my concerns about characters seeming kinda tiny. It took me maybe 20 minutes play time or so to adjust and then it seemed right  -- any more zoomed in would probably not give you enough peripheral view of the environs to be effective.

*I meant to post a screenshot of this -- each character screen has a little "video screen" showing the types of skills that character uses. It's pretty cool and gives you a useful visual snapshot of what to expect and what you might like about the character type.

*I thought I'd enjoy the Demon Hunter's "Rapid Fire" (you sort of spray these red projectiles lie a machine gun of sorts), but it absolutely devours the Hatred meter. Poof! I couldn't so far really figure out a setup (within my current 3-skill slots) where I could use that for any length of time without constantly gasping. The voicework is nice but hearing "I don't have enough hatred to do that!" 10 times straight can get tiresome.  icon_razz

*I'm not really clear yet whether exiting the game "manually saves" it, or if you'd just return to the most recent checkpoint on your return.

*The checkpoint saves seem to occur mostly when you enter a new dungeon, I think maybe when you enter a new level within a dungeon. I would hope it would also checkpoint save when you complete a quest, but I'm not so sure. It may be more often than that, but I haven't taken notes about it per se.

*The battle.net server did crash me to the desktop once. When I returned, I was at the most recent checkpoint at the start of a dungeon level that had a quest in it. Which seemed to mean I had to do that quest over again. What was interesting, is that the equipment/loot I'd added since that checkpoint was still on me. I think. If that's the case, maybe the game constantly saves a "character state," just not a questing/map location state? I dunno, maybe I was hallucinating. I'll have to look at that closely if it happens again.

*I crashed once while alt-tabbing back and forth to Steam to chat with EngineNo9, though overall the game seemed to behave nicely with alt-tabbing to the desktop.

*I disabled antialiasing. For me it didn't seem to add much visually and hindered the frame rate too much for my tastes. I disabled shadows too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:05:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 17, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »

Since nobody's peppering me with questions (I was actually hoping you guys would  icon_smile), I'm gonna try a poll here: which class do you guys want me to try next after the Demon Hunter. Watch for it.  icon_smile

I guess I hafta do a separate thread; I don't think I can do a poll in this one since I didn't start the thread.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 17, 2011, 10:43:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 17, 2011, 10:38:37 PM

Since nobody's peppering me with questions (I was actually hoping you guys would  icon_smile), I'm gonna try a poll here: which class do you guys want me to try next after the Demon Hunter. Watch for it.  icon_smile

I guess I hafta do a separate thread; I don't think I can do a poll in this one since I didn't start the thread.

Seriously though, most people know what the game will be like. The same as the other two, only better.. nod

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 17, 2011, 11:04:47 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 17, 2011, 10:43:21 PM

Since nobody's peppering me with questions (I was actually hoping you guys would  icon_smile), I'm gonna try a poll here: which class do you guys want me to try next after the Demon Hunter. Watch for it.  icon_smile

Seriously though, most people know what the game will be like. The same as the other two, only better.. nod
Because there are virtually no loading screens when you go into dungeons or new areas, you won't get ****ed by Duriel every time you walk through a door into a tomb.

Clearly, that's the most important change.  icon_smile

I'm almost done with Act 1 (at least what we're allowed to play in the beta), so I guess a poll's a moot point. Maybe I'll set one up for which character I should try last or something.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:07:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 18, 2011, 12:34:02 AM »

I think this is new at the official site:

Followers - Game Guide - Diablo III
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/follower/
*Includes a skills calculator.

Oh this is rich. They're taking the server down for 8 hours to prep a new patch (#6) and it won't be back up until 10 p.m. Pacific (1 a.m. EST). Maybe I should take a nap to prepare, lol.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595671038
Quote from: community manager
We're in the process of bringing down the Diablo III test server to deploy beta patch 6. We anticipate the downtime to last approximately 8 hours until 10:00 p.m. PST.
Looks like a War in the North night...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:42:15 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 18, 2011, 12:47:39 AM »

Witch Doctor!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 18, 2011, 03:09:35 AM »

Grumble... maybe I shoulda done that poll afterall. I won't even get to finish off the Skeleton King as a Demon Hunter yet...

Patch 6 Character Wipe Incoming
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595371476
Quote from: community manager
As the patch introduces achievements to the game, and we want to ensure that we’re able to obtain as much testing on them as possible, we will be wiping characters with the deployment of tonight’s patch.

We apologize for the late notice, we like to give notice at least a week before we wipe characters, but this decision wasn’t made until just a few moments ago due to specific testing gaps and issues we believe would occur if we do not wipe characters.

We appreciate your understanding, and thank you for your continued help in testing Diablo III.
Between this and my War in the North savegame getting screwed up... man it's a gaming evening to forget. I'll hopefully get to put some time in tomorrow evening.
===================

Leo, I was reading up on the witch doctor skills:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch-doctor/active/
*How exactly does a zombie act "suicidal" when it's already dead?  confused

Pretty crazy stuff. Interesting to read in the game guide about how the runestones affect skills. I'm eager to see a Barricade "double wall Zombie Army"  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 03:17:10 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: November 18, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »

Oh well...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3595671038
We've run into a fairly significant issue with the patch that was intended to update beta clients so they can connect to the now updated service. We're currently unable to estimate when the patch will become available, but are expecting that the beta will not return to service this evening. We apologize for any inconvenience or interruption in your scheduled play and appreciate your understanding.

They do at least have Patch 6 Notes up:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3123246179
Diablo III Beta Patch 6 – v.0.4.0.7841
Released 11/17/11 [well, not exactly...  smirk]

General

Auction House
*Stackable items can now be purchased and sold on the gold Auction House. These items can be purchased in any quantity, provided that the quantity is available for sale, and will pull from multiple auction listings if needed.

*Battle.netPlayer profiles have been added! These profiles will display important statistics for each of your characters, as well as 3D models featuring their current gear. Player profiles will only be viewable while in the main, character select, and party screens. They will not be viewable in-game. To access your player profile, click on your hero or press "P."

*To view other players' profiles while in a party, right-click on their character. Player profiles for Real ID friends can also be accessed by right-clicking on their names in the Friends List.

*Achievements are now available for testing. Please note that for the beta launch of this system, only a limited number of achievements have been included. To view your characters’ achievements, click on the "Achievements" icon located in the lower right or press "Y" at any point while playing.
To view another character’s achievements while in a party, right-click on their character and select "Inspect."

Classes
Monk
-Active SkillsBlinding FlashSpirit Cost reduced from 30 to 10Blind duration increased from 3 seconds to 5 seconds
Now has a 15 second cooldown
-Crippling WaveDamage reduced from 135% to 110%
-Dashing StrikeDamage increased from 65% to 160%
-Exploding PalmExplosion damage reduced from 40% to 30% of target’s max health
-Fists of ThunderDamage reduced 120% to 100%
-Inner SanctuarySpirit Cost reduced from 80 to 20
Now has a 30 second cooldown
-Lashing Tail KickDamage increased from 180% to 225%
Cooldown removed
-Lethal DecoyDamage increased from 110% to 330%Duration reduced from 5 seconds to 1 second
-Decoy is now summoned directly on top of the Monk
-Ability now plays a casting animation

Wizard
-Active SkillsMagic WeaponDamage bonus reduced from 20% to 15%

Monsters
GeneralMonster affixes “Die Together,” “Powerful,” and “Ghostly” have all been removed from the game
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 03:55:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 18, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 18, 2011, 12:47:39 AM

Witch Doctor!
Hey I WILL try this next, promise.  icon_smile No more updates from Blizz at the beta forums since last night so perhaps adding achievements has borked up things more than expected (from the standpoint of updating the clients to be compatible, as I read it).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 18, 2011, 07:05:02 PM »

Supposedly beta's back up, judging from a few players' posts recently...

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 19, 2011, 01:00:49 AM »

Here's some new stuff to soak in from beta patch 6: Achievements, and Player Profiles. I've weeded out Achievement listings that I thought might be spoiler-ish, fwiw, so this pic only shows more "bland" achievements... (I brightened some of these to be easier to see):

Achievements:

*Obviously, these are specific to the limited beta, and will be different in the released game.

Player Profiles screens:

*I assume but don't know for sure there's some option to disable this view if you don't want strangers snooping through your equipment screen and bugging you to give them something you're wearing.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: November 19, 2011, 01:02:43 AM »

Hmm, if only the game had an offline mode.  But who would ever need that.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 19, 2011, 02:42:21 AM »

I thought it might be more fun to race to 5-6 with each of the other classes (besides Demon Hunter) to get some glimpses and try a few skills. To start, here's...

Witch Doctor

*Donning my first mask. You'll note with this and with the Barbarian that your armor (at least from what I see so far) keeps your chest bare on the male character model, but with different paint patterns. I assume the females are handled a bit differently 'cause this isn't Age of Conan.  smirk

*Zombie Dogs. I'm not quite sure what I expected, but these look more like little purple dinosaurs to me.  icon_razz

*Dead Hands. These grabby hands snare targets and do surprisingly strong damage.

I forgot to get a Plague of Toads screenshot. These explosive toads are effective but they wander and you can't really be precise with 'em. Also got my first Zombie Charger, which is a zombie that sort of runs off and disintegrates (like he's made of sand) before exploding in a burst of poison.
=========================================

Barbarian

*As mentioned above, his armor adds a warpaint to his chest rather than armor, cosmetically. I'm not sure if that changes later perhaps. ADDENDUM: oops, my bad. I've already had the blacksmith make a "real armor" that's much less drafty.  icon_smile

*The Barbarian is CRAZY fun to play. I mean, he just DESTROYS everything even with his starter attack and enemies go flying. In fact, here you see a zombie's skeleton separated from his skin.  icon_twisted icon_smile

*A magical hammer skill. Unlike say, that mallet thing of the Paladin's in D2, this is a delightfully unsubtle magical hammer that goes BOOM!

I love the barb, but I was telling EngineNo9 in Steam chat that it's probably a recipe for Titan Quest Tendinitis.  paranoid
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:19:41 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 19, 2011, 03:02:12 AM »

Man that looks good!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 19, 2011, 04:39:59 AM »

Ah well, servers just came down (announced in game), probably some sort of emergency maintenance thing. They seem to have really adjusted the Normal Act 1 difficulty level quite a bit. Enough to make you sweat a little, but not so much as to pound your face in the dirt.  icon_smile Most of  us seem to be seeing quite a few more signature enemies in dungeons.

2-hand weapons are just as viable as dual wielding, I found. Had the blacksmith make a nice flamberge...

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 19, 2011, 05:11:57 AM »

Wow, this looks awesome! 

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 19, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »

Man, I'll be a mess tomorrow.... er later today. But boy is it fun.  icon_smile I do believe (I think along with some other testers) that the Wizard right now is underpowered on the initial skills, esp. with the Friday patch's notable difference in difficulty (Normal, Act 1). All the other classes though have felt awesome to me, and have seemed strong enough in the early going to tackle the tougher difficulty solo without too much fuss.

And the fists and feet focused Monk is pretty darn crazy fun. I should say that if you're not into over the top gore, you should avoid the Monk and Barbarian because they spend much of D3 tearing Diablo's minions into tiny bloody pieces.  icon_razz otoh, if you are into over the top gore, and you want characters that are pretty playable at the zoomed in level (cause you're not worried so much about environmental awareness for ranged attacks), then I guarantee you'll love these two.  icon_smile

Official site explains this I guess; the Monk's attacks are sort of momentum-based. So you punch, punch again, and then BOOM the third punch is something special (lightning burst, and hitting the group in front of you; or some sort of change in your attack that's fun). A few of its attacks are like that.

I tried to get some cool Monk pix...

Monk's initial attack sets off lightning on your third straight punch.

This is a sort of somersaulting flip kick that uses the Monk's, uh, equivalent of mana (I think it's Fury or something, you have certain attacks that build it up, and others that expend it). Very messy, very effective.  icon_cool

This is a short-distance sort of "ranged melee" attack that kinda of "projects" your attack at a distance. Kinda reminds me of The Flash.  icon_smile If you do it 3 times straight, the 3rd time unleashes a substantially longer ranged attack.

This is a sweeping kick, just demoing in New Tristram because my co-op group had finished the final quest. This gives you one colorful pattern the first sweep, another the 2nd sweep and then this burst on the 3rd (as I understand it).  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 19, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »

And thought I'd mention some teleport discoveries.

Rift fans will appreciate this (though Blizzard would never admit that as inspiration, right?):  icon_smile

*Once everyone in the group agrees to enter a quest "event" (basically, anything involving a major boss and the main quest storyline), it will teleport everyone in there regardless of location. You can choose to decline too. [I clipped out the quest "Event name" for your protection.  icon_smile ]

*I was confused by these banners, wondering if they were buff skills of some sort. Turns out, when you're in a co-op game, everyone has a "portal to their side" up in the main town hub. So if you wanna join someone, they don't need to pop open a portal for you. You just click the appropriate "teleport banner" and it zips you right to the side of that person. The little box as seen there shows you where that person is at that time (in this case we were both in town then). The banner that isn't glowing at its base is mine.  icon_smile

*Wizards have a Teleport skill...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:50:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 19, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »

Now that I've tried everything, the Profile page is more interesting.  icon_smile

btw, if you wondered if D3 will have a hardcore mode? Wonder no more! High five! (see lower left)

My lineup so far:

*Although the Monk can use a staff, it seems odd to me cause he's still attacking with fists and feet.

My demon hunter got wiped, so I have just started a new one. Witch Doctor is promising enough though some of the funner stuff is beyond what we'll get to try in beta.

I believe you can have up to 10 characters (10 monks if you want, it's not limited that way).

I don't know what they can do about scaling co-op. Right now after patch 6, imho the solo difficulty is challenging in a fair way except maybe the Wizard (at least, how I play it  icon_redface). Co-op is basically every group is an unstoppable lawnmower. The enemies might as well not even be there. Actually, it's like the first 12 levels or so in SWTOR.  icon_razz

I mean, maybe folks are into games being that easy but I'd like my coop group to maybe break a sweat now and then and not just be able to race through every dungeon in 60 seconds because everything's obliterated so quickly.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:38:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 19, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 19, 2011, 01:02:43 AM

Hmm, if only the game had an offline mode.  But who would ever need that.  slywink

yup, who boots up a game and disconnects from the internet, good question indeed.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: November 19, 2011, 07:49:22 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 19, 2011, 07:36:09 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 19, 2011, 01:02:43 AM

yup, who boots up a game and disconnects from the internet, good question indeed.

Or who would want to actually play the game instead of wait for server downtime to be able to launch it again. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 20, 2011, 03:12:18 AM »

Jar of Souls "trap" = Fun  icon_biggrin
*I think the only place with it is in one of the three dungeons below the cemetery. I had read about it in beta forums but didn't stumble onto it until earlier today.

I think it's more fun if you don't know what happens when you "open" the jar. But if you're curious...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Basically, these spirit things float out into the area surrounding thus room center and start spawning skeleton soldiers. Gradually at first, then with a furious intensity and volume, in waves. At one point I could barely see the screen, for all the skeleton soldiers blotting it. Eventually there's this crazy-axe wielding boss skeleton of some sort.
I'll be eager to see how the event plays in Nightmare or Hell modes.  paranoid Although it's probably only a couple minutes or so, it's very intense.

I finally worked on the Witch Doctor. It's very effective and probably the easiest on Titan Quest-Tendinitis type wrists because your toads, zombie dogs, suicidal zombie, spiders, dead hands (however you mix them) and other voodoo hoodoo can do so much of the work. I suspect as with D2's Necromancer, they'll have their hands full trying to balance that so your doc doesn't become so omnipotent the game gets boring.  icon_smile

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:14:03 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 20, 2011, 04:39:57 AM »

I haven't really kept an eye on the official site but it's pretty darn informative and snazzy now, starting hub would be:
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/index.xml

Though I found "The World" page most informative:
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/
*Runestones sound cool, but aren't currently available/enabled in the public beta, fwiw.

New Tristram is the area we're playing in, public beta wise. "Old" Tristram and the characters as far back as the first game still play key roles. If you've played both the first and II (many younger folks I run into never played the first game), you'll likely smile at a lot of references to certain characters and places.  icon_smile I think that's cool, esp. given that virtually nobody from those Condor/Blizzzard North dev teams is still with Blizzard (most got Flagshipped, some work on the Torchlight games etc.).

Borderlands is glimpsed in several of the official site's class page gameplay videos.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:43:47 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 20, 2011, 04:45:15 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 20, 2011, 04:39:57 AM

Borderlands is glimpsed in several of the official site's class page gameplay videos.

I wonder if Claptrap will make an appearance.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 20, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2011, 04:45:15 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on November 20, 2011, 04:39:57 AM

I wonder if Claptrap will make an appearance.
Ba dump bump.  icon_smile I was gonna make that joke but I forgot its name.  icon_lol It looks a bit like the desert areas in D2, albeit much less pixelicious.

I got a couple little fun videos of a Jar of Souls event (early part with my Demon Hunter going Chakram crazy; later part with the Monk).

Here's some more pix I thought would interest folks...

Auction House: (partly working in public beta; tomes/pages aren't yet)

*You don't access this within game (fine by me; I don't log into a Diablo game to sit and wait for people sitting at an auctions vendor icon_razz). It's at the startup screen. You have a button to take you here. You can filter either "shared stash," listing everything you have, and by individual character (yes, admire my creative character names  retard). I didn't check but I assume there's a way to filter out stuff you're actually equipping.

Passives
Finally got a character (Monk) to 10 on repeated playthroughs this morning, unlocking Passives:

Has  its own separate tree. You get two choices at L10. Eventually you can slot up to three Passives.

I highlighted a couple of the more interesting ones, description wise:

*Man, people already run through this beta in co-op so fast, if everyone gets fleet foot, the full game won't provide 2 hours of play time.  icon_razz

*My Wizard would find this more handy imho... icon_redface

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:59:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 20, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »

I'm really digging the Follower system (Templar initially; Scoundrel and Enchantress later), although I keep referring to them as "hirelings" (D2 flashback I guess):
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/followers.xml

I finally leveled mine and got a second skill choice:

*I suspect these Follower skill choices will be more meaningful in later Acts and in Nightmare and Hell modes. You can't use Followers at all if another player's in the game, afik. I think  that means you could start a co-op game and play w/ your Follower until someone joined the game; then he'd go "poof" and no longer be available for hire.

The Follower does have a health meter so he isn't invulnerable. I suspect if he croaks he technically just "returns to town," and you re-hire him there, though I don't have a way to test that theory yet as the Act 1 Normal doesn't seem punishing enough to put a dent in the Templar.

They obviously put a lot of effort into pathfinding and making them solid in combat without taking over the game (I've not yet ever had one get stuck on something or not know how to keep up with me), as well as into the little bits of conversation dialogue (it's voiced, and you can choose to also enable caption bubble/subtitle conversation if you like to read that too) between the Templar and your character.

So you get some interesting little back and forth like this:

*btw, imho, they oughta have this caption bubble stuff as an option in co-op. Not that pickup groups wanna take 1 second to talk. Did I mention people rush through things?  icon_smile

What's funny is that if you and your Templar do the quest that rewards you with a Templar, for a time you get to have TWO templars.  icon_smile They even put in some dialogue to allow for that, although at one point my original Templar (that I'd re-equipped with a sword instead of a javelin) starts talking about how great his javelin is, prompted by a question by my Monk. Now, the game doesn't turn into Baldur's Gate or anything, but I do enjoy the conversations, and they aren't so frequent as to be an annoyance.

And here's my Templar tag team. Eventually a storyline checkpoint results in the new Templar running off.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:56:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: November 20, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »

K officially staying out of this thread now.

Blackout and all. I want this so bad I can taste it - I don't need to read about it.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: