http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:25:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 95345 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: September 25, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »

Quote from: KC on September 25, 2011, 01:36:32 AM

Has any of the beta testers tried to play this in a laptop w/o a dedicated graphics card?

I run it on my laptop as well as my desktop. I have a Dell L501X. I know it has a dedicated graphics card, but it's the only example I have. The resolution is weak (bizzaro laptop 1366x768 resolution), but it runs the game perfectly.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 25, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 25, 2011, 06:28:32 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 23, 2011, 03:10:58 PM

Can we move on to complaining about the lack of a pause button?  If I get this it will be for playing single-player, so I'm pretty annoyed about the omission.

Use the soul stone to warp back to town.  Problem solved.

but then I lose my progress!  WHAAAAAAAAAAA! slywink  (like most people complaining about this wouldn't end up replaying the same levels dozens of times anyway)

Also the graphics look just fine to me.  (hint:  watch them in HD instead of low res in a tiny window)
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 25, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 25, 2011, 06:35:51 PM

Can we move on to complaining about the lack of a pause button?  If I get this it will be for playing single-player, so I'm pretty annoyed about the omission.

but then I lose my progress!  WHAAAAAAAAAAA! slywink  (like most people complaining about this wouldn't end up replaying the same levels dozens of times anyway)

Also the graphics look just fine to me.  (hint:  watch them in HD instead of low res in a tiny window)

Isn't it like a town portal where it saves the current state of the world until you go back to B.net?
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 26, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »

This HD button? Yup, got it.

This doesn't look terribly pixelated to you? Again, I'm not comparing D2 to D3 but I am comparing it to newer games like Bastion.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: September 26, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on September 26, 2011, 12:50:56 PM

This HD button? Yup, got it.

This doesn't look terribly pixelated to you? Again, I'm not comparing D2 to D3 but I am comparing it to newer games like Bastion.

Bastions maps are tiny, the graphics aren't at all intense, and it's all pretty much static artwork.

Not to say I don't love Bastion, but it isn't really the same game type - there is a lot more going on in Diablo 3.

I do agree though that the screenshot you posted does look a little pixelated.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 26, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »

That screen shot does look pixelated, but I don't know for certain that's what it looks like when it's on your screen.  Going by videos is always a risky proposition.  Do you know what res it was recorded in?  What res it was played in?  Too many variables.  It might look bad, but jumping to that conclusion based on early vids is a bit naive.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 26, 2011, 02:18:46 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 26, 2011, 01:47:53 PM

That screen shot does look pixelated, but I don't know for certain that's what it looks like when it's on your screen.  Going by videos is always a risky proposition.  Do you know what res it was recorded in?  What res it was played in?  Too many variables.  It might look bad, but jumping to that conclusion based on early vids is a bit naive.

It's KD's video so naturally I assumed it was captured in the absolute best possible way. There are faaar worse quality videos out there but I've not personally seen one better.

This is no way deters my purchase, obviously, it was more of an offhanded comment that it should run on just about any newish hardware these days, even laptops. I am curious what resolution they are forcing on us this time though and can it be windowed so that it's not blown up on a native 25x16 monitor to look like arse?
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 26, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »

Or they could just stop with the stupid ass DRM schemes and allow players to pause the game in single-player. Problem solved.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 26, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on September 26, 2011, 02:18:46 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on September 26, 2011, 01:47:53 PM

That screen shot does look pixelated, but I don't know for certain that's what it looks like when it's on your screen.  Going by videos is always a risky proposition.  Do you know what res it was recorded in?  What res it was played in?  Too many variables.  It might look bad, but jumping to that conclusion based on early vids is a bit naive.

It's KD's video so naturally I assumed it was captured in the absolute best possible way. There are faaar worse quality videos out there but I've not personally seen one better.

This is no way deters my purchase, obviously, it was more of an offhanded comment that it should run on just about any newish hardware these days, even laptops. I am curious what resolution they are forcing on us this time though and can it be windowed so that it's not blown up on a native 25x16 monitor to look like arse?

I know what you mean.  Also it IS Blizzard so I don't expect awesome cutting edge graphics, but more of a scalable setup.

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/screenshots/ss166-hires.jpg looks pretty good, though if you zoom in you can still see that there is a lower detail.  i don't think the game is meant to be played zoomed in though so it should be pretty good.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: September 26, 2011, 08:11:41 PM »

One factor that may make a difference - does Diablo III show armor differences (aka Warrior dress-up)? Bastion was static except for weapon changes.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 26, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 26, 2011, 08:05:43 PM

I know what you mean.  Also it IS Blizzard so I don't expect awesome cutting edge graphics, but more of a scalable setup.

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/screenshots/ss166-hires.jpg looks pretty good, though if you zoom in you can still see that there is a lower detail.  i don't think the game is meant to be played zoomed in though so it should be pretty good.

That looks a lot better. Maybe KD does need to review his capture procedure.

Quote from: Purge on September 26, 2011, 08:11:41 PM

One factor that may make a difference - does Diablo III show armor differences (aka Warrior dress-up)? Bastion was static except for weapon changes.

Bastion was just the first newer game I could think of that shares the same non-rotating perspective that diablo does. I'm sure there are others but things like witcher2 rotates so I didn't think it fair to compare.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: September 26, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »

I get where you're coming from, but my point is that the res is high, your character small, and equipment is a factor. I'd rather it be more detailed and a little pixelated at extreme zoom in than blurred out. :shrug:

Bliz's MO has always been to make games that can be played on tons of machines (as opposed to Crysis, who were trying to sell video card upgrades slywink).

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 26, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »

Diablo 2 was so pixelated that it looked worse than Diablo 1.  I was pretty disappointed at first but then I got used to it.  I am a graphics whore but when gameplay is that good, it's easy to ignore the graphics.  I feel the same way about League of Legends which looks like shit.

P.S. I really don't know how D3 will look since I haven't been following the videos/screenshots religiously.  I'm hoping graphics are at the level of Dungeon Siege 3 at least.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 26, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »

I was never able to get past the graphics in D2 since they were truly behind what was available at the time by a long way.  I played the crap out of TQ when it came out as a result. slywink
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: September 26, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on September 26, 2011, 08:19:39 PM

We were discussing this in the podcast this week- it's very likely that the high-res textures have been held back for the final release. All of the official media from the site looks much crisper. Blizzard has made it clear that they are concerned with gameplay balancing for this beta so full-res textures wouldn't be necessary.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 26, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 26, 2011, 09:47:17 PM

We were discussing this in the podcast this week- it's very likely that the high-res textures have been held back for the final release. All of the official media from the site looks much crisper. Blizzard has made it clear that they are concerned with gameplay balancing for this beta so full-res textures wouldn't be necessary.

that also limits download sizes quite a bit
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 27, 2011, 01:20:49 AM »

No pause or offline play for single player play == no money from me.... Oh well blizz got the last $$ from me last month since I cancelled my WoW sub for good.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 27, 2011, 02:51:51 AM »

Barbarian footage up. My favorite class to play...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 27, 2011, 09:00:47 AM »

anyone get lucky in this round? more went out late night.
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 27, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »

Can we include some download links somewhere? For some reason the best I can get from the website is black boxes with no video. Compatibility problem with either firefox, noscript, or something else on my rig. (also doesn't appear to like chrome on my system... maybe it's the flash player?)

Anyways, I got the demonhunter vid from youtube... (ten minutes of it? only one part vs multiple parts here? dunno what's up with that)...

but the simple inclusion of some download links would be extremely helpful. or just put everything up on youtube, or whatnot.

Thanks for the vids smile

Atomic

Lookit that, it doesn't seem to like internet exploder either. I'm guessing it's my flash player, or something. Works for everything else though.
Crabbs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 27, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »

Check your inboxes this morning. Opt-in invites went out overnight!

No joy in my box though frown

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: September 27, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on September 27, 2011, 09:56:00 AM

Can we include some download links somewhere? For some reason the best I can get from the website is black boxes with no video. Compatibility problem with either firefox, noscript, or something else on my rig. (also doesn't appear to like chrome on my system... maybe it's the flash player?)

Anyways, I got the demonhunter vid from youtube... (ten minutes of it? only one part vs multiple parts here? dunno what's up with that)...

but the simple inclusion of some download links would be extremely helpful. or just put everything up on youtube, or whatnot.

Atomic

Lookit that, it doesn't seem to like internet exploder either. I'm guessing it's my flash player, or something. Works for everything else though.

Yeah, sounds like your Flash player. We weren't planning on simultaneously posting all of these on Youtube (looks like one snuck by) and no longer do download links for vids now that we have a CDN for our video.

I'd say your best bet would be to check your flash player.

Mike Dunn
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 27, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »

We were discussing this in the podcast this week

I don't have an ipod but if I ever get one, I'll be sure to check that out.

Quote from: Harkonis on September 26, 2011, 10:15:58 PM

I know what you mean.  Also it IS Blizzard so I don't expect awesome cutting edge graphics, but more of a scalable setup.

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/screenshots/ss166-hires.jpg looks pretty good, though if you zoom in you can still see that there is a lower detail.  i don't think the game is meant to be played zoomed in though so it should be pretty good.

that also limits download sizes quite a bit

Whew! That's a relief. I just saw the Path of Exile video too....
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: September 27, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on September 27, 2011, 04:25:10 PM

You know it's just an audio file, right? You don't necessarily need an iPod...

Mike Dunn
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: September 28, 2011, 05:45:14 AM »

I played the game at 1080p and the videos are the same.  They are roughly 19-20GB per 10 minutes of video that I convert to .m2ts (a high-res mpeg-2 stream) that makes them come out at roughly 1GB per 10 minutes.  The game will look slightly better, but not by much.   I think the video does a pretty great job at showing you what you'll be getting. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: September 28, 2011, 05:45:53 AM »

Absolutely.  Every piece is reflected. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: September 28, 2011, 05:47:02 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 28, 2011, 05:45:53 AM

Absolutely.  Every piece is reflected. 

I can't wait.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: September 28, 2011, 05:47:49 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 27, 2011, 04:38:27 PM

Yup, all you have to do is click the play button and it'll play in your browser, or you can download them for convenience.  You don't have to touch the wretched iTunes application in any way.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 28, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 28, 2011, 05:45:14 AM

I played the game at 1080p and the videos are the same.  They are roughly 19-20GB per 10 minutes of video that I convert to .m2ts (a high-res mpeg-2 stream) that makes them come out at roughly 1GB per 10 minutes.  The game will look slightly better, but not by much.   I think the video does a pretty great job at showing you what you'll be getting. 

Crap. I was afraid of that. Here's hoping that, as previously stated, those are the low res graphics and they are holding back hi-res for release.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 28, 2011, 12:36:47 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 28, 2011, 05:47:49 AM

Yup, all you have to do is click the play button and it'll play in your browser, or you can download them for convenience.  You don't have to touch the wretched iTunes application in any way.  smile

Ahhhh ok, the term 'podcast' has changed so much over the years.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 28, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on September 28, 2011, 12:36:47 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 28, 2011, 05:47:49 AM

Ahhhh ok, the term 'podcast' has changed so much over the years.

That's been true since they first came out as far as I know slywink  They were just made to be played on the ipods, but were not made to only be played on the ipod.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 28, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »

wow, I just got  'Diablo III beta test invitation!' from diablo3 at d3-blizzard.com in my junk file.  looks legit.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 28, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 28, 2011, 03:31:05 PM

wow, I just got  'Diablo III beta test invitation!' from diablo3 at d3-blizzard.com in my junk file.  looks legit.
fwiw, Blizzard's web site says it's best to log into your bnet account and check there to see if you were accepted into a beta (i.e., don't click any links in an e-mail purporting to be from Blizzard).

Unless you're being sarcastic, in which case, never mind.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 28, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 28, 2011, 03:41:20 PM

Unless you're being sarcastic, in which case, never mind.  icon_smile

Don't worry, he's not being even the slightest bit sarcastic.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 28, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on September 28, 2011, 03:44:18 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on September 28, 2011, 03:41:20 PM

Unless you're being sarcastic, in which case, never mind.  icon_smile

Don't worry, he's not being even the slightest bit sarcastic.

- Ash
Wait, are you being sarcastic? I'm so confused without smiley cues.  icon_lol

I did check my webmail spam, and aside from the usual pleas to enter my Battle.net account information at very strange-reading links to get a free item for a game I haven't played in 6 years (WoW), I saw no beta love.  tear

I don't know if today's Penny Arcade is about Diablo III (NOTE: It is, according to Tycho there), but it reminded me of the early going in various Diablo and Diablo-style games, and MMOs for that matter... (i.e., sifting through 99% worthless loot that is largely named "crappy item" and being constantly sent to visit generic, uninteresting NPCS who reward you with junk cause - presumably - they don't want it to be too easy for you to get good stuff. icon_razz).
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/09/28

Tycho seems to enjoy it so far despite coming to it with cynicism:
Quote from: Tycho
I came into the beta of Diablo III with a sizable chip placed squarely on my shoulder, a chip of substance, very nearly a pauldron.  The reality is that Runic games makes a twenty dollar version of the Diablo series with grace and expertise that satisfies the starving gecko in my brain which longs to click.  I played the sequel at PAX, and it’s incredible; I would buy the game for the idle animation on the female Berserker alone.  You see “tough” barbarian-types, you see “crazy” ones, there’s a pronounced “noble” strain - but you don’t see wild, for some reason, which I thought was the point.  Her eyes are rolling around in her head like marbles.  I’ve never seen the like.

But Diablo III doesn’t leave anything to chance; it implants the proboscis with utter precision.  Even if you are a jaded gaming satirist actively hostile to it, your hypothalamus is pumped with so much liquid nectar that the corners of your mouth curve up into a smile even as the saliva wells behind the lower lip.  The best way to say it is that the experience is clean, magnificently clean, without being sterile or predictable.  That’s quite a trick.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:56:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 28, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »

well, 70% of the fun is finding the phat lewts.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 29, 2011, 01:49:37 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 27, 2011, 01:38:12 PM

Atomic

Yeah, sounds like your Flash player. We weren't planning on simultaneously posting all of these on Youtube (looks like one snuck by) and no longer do download links for vids now that we have a CDN for our video.

fwiw, I had to enable something called "playwire.com" in NoScript's list of scripts on that page in order to get the movies to display and function.

Also, I pulled up GamingTrend and viewed a couple of the videos on a Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet at a Best Buy tonight. It played them without a hitch at a good speed.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: September 29, 2011, 02:14:20 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 29, 2011, 01:49:37 AM

Atomic

fwiw, I had to enable something called "playwire.com" in NoScript's list of scripts on that page in order to get the movies to display and function.

Also, I pulled up GamingTrend and viewed a couple of the videos on a Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet at a Best Buy tonight. It played them without a hitch at a good speed.  icon_smile

Nice!  Yeah, Playwire is our video CDN

Mike Dunn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: October 04, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »

Hey Blizzard! Let me into the Diablo 3 beta....

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 05, 2011, 02:10:06 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 29, 2011, 01:49:37 AM

Atomic

Also, I pulled up GamingTrend and viewed a couple of the videos on a Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet at a Best Buy tonight. It played them without a hitch at a good speed.  icon_smile
fwiw, a peek at one of the GT D3 vids on a Galaxy Tab at a Best Buy...

It certainly handled Flash movies with aplomb -- all the GT D3 beta vids ran without a hitch, and I could zoom them in/out.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: