http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:50:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 92635 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 22, 2011, 03:53:42 AM »

They're certainly not limiting what the media can show off from it...

Diablo III Commentary and Video
Find out how two Editors are planning on crafting their heroes.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1195655p1.html
*Click the "HD" button for a less cramped view.

It was good to hear that... familiar... voice.  icon_smile I really haven't been paying attention much -- is there a class with any sort of shield specialties? I know the paladin's gone, I just enjoy shield-ish skills (in D2 and Titan Quest).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:00:39 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: September 22, 2011, 04:34:50 AM »

I'm going to record ALL of the classes running through the ENTIRE beta solo.   We'll get some multi in there too, but I want to show how the classes play single player first.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 22, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »

Blizz says D3 feels better with console controls, but it won't be ready for release.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/22/diablo-3-feels-even-better-with-console-controllers-but-suppo/

If they could get updates to the consoles as well as they do with PC, I'd be all over it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 22, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »

Gamespy raises question which should not ever be said  *Fist Shaking*

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/diablo-iii/1195932p1.html
As a lover of first person games, the isometric camera system in Diablo III felt very unfamiliar, and I inevitably wondered why Blizzard didn't make the leap to first person like so many other developers. This led me to wonder - should Diablo III have been a first person game, and what are the pros and cons of this approach?
Let's not. Instead, let's be glad Blizzard isn't "everything must be an FPS because that's all the cool kids wanna play anymore!" 2K....   icon_smile

I do recall that every time Blizz has a "surprise" announcement, some of the speculation always runs into Diablo as FPS, Starcraft as FPS, Warcraft as FPS, blabbery. While I don't see that happening (partly cause character design/art is a Blizz specialty, so why do an FPS where you never even see your own character?), I could still see them doing something along the lines of what SC: Ghost was supposed to be (or a "Terran Marine" game similar to Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, but different), even if it's not on their upcoming titles list atm.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:44:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: September 22, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »

Gee, where did Starcraft: Ghost go? That's right, Gamespy. That's right, indeed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 22, 2011, 05:11:11 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 22, 2011, 04:38:57 PM

Gamespy raises question which should not ever be said  *Fist Shaking*

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/diablo-iii/1195932p1.html
As a lover of first person games, the isometric camera system in Diablo III felt very unfamiliar, and I inevitably wondered why Blizzard didn't make the leap to first person like so many other developers. This led me to wonder - should Diablo III have been a first person game, and what are the pros and cons of this approach?
Let's not. Instead, let's be glad Blizzard isn't "everything must be an FPS because that's all the cool kids wanna play anymore!" 2K....   icon_smile

If you read all the way to the end you'll note that in the last section he's actually surprised at how much he likes isometric view, especially since its all "new and fresh" to him. In particular
if the beta is any indication (and they usually are) Diablo III is going to be an amazing gaming experience, so perhaps it will mark a resurgence of isometric games?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: September 22, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »

I see it's time for me to weep bitter tears over the abuse of the word "isometric" again.  crybaby

slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 22, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 22, 2011, 05:51:54 PM

I see it's time for me to weep bitter tears over the abuse of the word "isometric" again.  crybaby

slywink

This is where it comes from in regards to video games:

Isometric Projection - a method for the visual representation of three-dimensional objects in two dimensions
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2011, 06:24:42 PM »

don't go all angsty on us.

biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2011, 07:03:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 22, 2011, 06:02:34 PM

slywink

Isometric Projection - a method for the visual representation of three-dimensional objects in two dimensions

Sure, I know what video gamers think it means, and why they think it means exactly that. It still doesn't mean I need to sit here and accept it.  icon_razz
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 22, 2011, 06:24:42 PM

don't go all angsty on us.

biggrin

RAAAAGGGGEEEEE!!!!!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 22, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 22, 2011, 07:03:16 PM

slywink

Sure, I know what video gamers think it means, and why they think it means exactly that. It still doesn't mean I need to sit here and accept it.  icon_razz

We could always root for all games to go to first person point of view. Then you'd never be bothered by it again  nod

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 22, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »

slywink

Why would you not accept something that is accurate and properly used?  icon_biggrin

Ale
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 22, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »

slywink

that wasn't a 'what video gamers think it means' definition though, that was an actual dictionary definition which I then explained why it's somewhat accurate with regards to the video game usage.  The original isometric games were indeed 2d representations of a 3d object, no? slywink
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: September 22, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 22, 2011, 08:42:32 PM

I see it's time for me to weep bitter tears over the abuse of the word "isometric" again.  crybaby

slywink

Sure, I know what video gamers think it means, and why they think it means exactly that. It still doesn't mean I need to sit here and accept it.  icon_razz

that wasn't a 'what video gamers think it means' definition though, that was an actual dictionary definition which I then explained why it's somewhat accurate with regards to the video game usage.  The original isometric games were indeed 2d representations of a 3d object, no? slywink

Oh all right, you bastards are forcing me to be technical! You're loving this, aren't you? Tongue

Your description of the isometric perspective is just that: A description. Not a definition. Most games seen from a vaguely 3D-ish angle in the good old days were actually true isometric games, and since that word was used a lot about the games, people started thinking it was a generic description for a particular viewing angle. It's not.

For something to be isometric, it needs to follow certain rules. I could quite Wikipedia and make this sound very math-heavy, but instead I'll make it relatively simple: Isometric projection must contain no perspective (in other words, stuff at the top of the screen must be exactly like stuff at the bottom of the screen in terms of distance from the camera), and the scale along each axis on a 3D coordinate system must be exactly equal (which means that 1 foot up is exactly the same length in pixels on the screen as 1 foot to the left, for example). The angle between each axis must be exactly 120 degrees. A cube placed on the floor in an isometric view would, if color and lighting was equal on all sides, appear to be a perfect hexagonal 2D shape.

I recommend the Wikipedia article about the concept. It's really quite helpful. smile

Btw: Your "definition" would also describe EVERY 3D game we've ever seen, since all of them project 3D data to a 2D screen. So there!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2011, 12:48:32 AM »

Ultima 7 was isometric in its presentation. Zaxxon also was isometric.

Third-person overhead camera gets bulky to use in normal dialog.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2011, 01:49:58 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 22, 2011, 09:05:56 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on September 22, 2011, 08:42:32 PM

slywink

that wasn't a 'what video gamers think it means' definition though, that was an actual dictionary definition which I then explained why it's somewhat accurate with regards to the video game usage.  The original isometric games were indeed 2d representations of a 3d object, no? slywink

Oh all right, you bastards are forcing me to be technical! You're loving this, aren't you? Tongue

Your description of the isometric perspective is just that: A description. Not a definition. Most games seen from a vaguely 3D-ish angle in the good old days were actually true isometric games, and since that word was used a lot about the games, people started thinking it was a generic description for a particular viewing angle. It's not.

For something to be isometric, it needs to follow certain rules. I could quite Wikipedia and make this sound very math-heavy, but instead I'll make it relatively simple: Isometric projection must contain no perspective (in other words, stuff at the top of the screen must be exactly like stuff at the bottom of the screen in terms of distance from the camera), and the scale along each axis on a 3D coordinate system must be exactly equal (which means that 1 foot up is exactly the same length in pixels on the screen as 1 foot to the left, for example). The angle between each axis must be exactly 120 degrees. A cube placed on the floor in an isometric view would, if color and lighting was equal on all sides, appear to be a perfect hexagonal 2D shape.

I recommend the Wikipedia article about the concept. It's really quite helpful. smile

Btw: Your "definition" would also describe EVERY 3D game we've ever seen, since all of them project 3D data to a 2D screen. So there!

Word, brother. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2011, 04:47:24 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 23, 2011, 12:48:32 AM

I call it overhead view. Simple and catchy. smile
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2011, 05:37:54 AM »

Ron's videos of his Demon Hunter run is up. Sezzzyy....

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: September 23, 2011, 06:42:06 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 23, 2011, 05:37:54 AM

Ron is cranking out the vids on this- After he finishes with the Demon Hunter run, he's going to continue on to the other classes- expect a TON of video this week!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »

Nice!! I love the Isometric view! Its always been my favorite camera angle!

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 23, 2011, 04:47:24 AM

Quote from: Purge on September 23, 2011, 12:48:32 AM

I call it overhead view. Simple and catchy. smile

they aren't overhead views if you want to be technical... they are overhead and slightly off to one side.  Get it right man, if you're going to whine about one part of technicalities, go  with it!

The above and slightly to one side view is very similar to what you might be saying really was isometric, so if it makes you sleep better at night whenever someone says Isometric game, just think game view similar to what used to be true isometric!  If you can shorten Third-person overhead camera to overhead view, why can't you shorten view reminiscent of an isometric game to isometric game? hair splittin phool!  ninja
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 23, 2011, 06:52:00 AM

I especially like the isometric view when you can rotate the camera and zoom in.  Often the best isometric view is first person.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on September 23, 2011, 12:50:02 PM

Quote from: Razgon on September 23, 2011, 06:52:00 AM

I especially like the isometric view when you can rotate the camera and zoom in.  Often the best isometric view is first person.
True, though I'm always looking for a way to get an isometric view in first person games.   smirk

Although I've played many Diablo wannabes with rotatable camera views (Delphine's Darkstone and Monte Cristo's Silverfall come to mind, and Sacred 2), most of the time, all it does is confuse the player and make the mini-map a struggle to understand and orient themselves to. It was so bad in Silverfall and Sacred 2, I often thought I was moving towards a quest NPC and it would turn out I was moving away from him/her -- I just couldn't trust the mini-map perspective anymore.

I think it's best to give two options: a fixed view where you don't have to worry about the camera view at all, and a "rotate to your hearts content" option for those that insist they really want that.

Playing
PC
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 23, 2011, 01:35:32 PM »

You guys are all wrong.

Isometric game:
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: September 23, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »

It's the isometric whining that broke up the PC party.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 23, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/3002244#blog

or if you like US news:  http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/3552227/%E2%80%9CSoon%E2%80%9D_Was_Too_Soon_--_Diablo_III_to_Arrive_in_Early_2012_-9_23_2011#blog

Like I said before, you will all have time to get into the beta.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:43:44 PM by leo8877 » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 23, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »

time to watch all the crying and raging in a nice isometric camera view.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »

It's an isometric exercise, see
Crabbs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 23, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 23, 2011, 02:44:24 PM

It's an isometric exercise, see

Isometrics are good for building muscle stamina!

edit: for horrendous spelling & grammar.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:18:20 PM by Crabbs » Logged

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 23, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 23, 2011, 01:52:40 PM

It's the isometric whining that broke up the PC party.
crybaby

We isometric whiners are less upset than RMT bashers and "having to be online all the time is unfair!" agonizers.... smirk

And now that the release won't be this year (as if it ever really had a prayer of coming out this year) all parties will have that much more time to get riled up about it.

My money is on either January 2012 (Diablo came out in Jan. 1997), or June 2012 (Diablo II and the LoD expansion each came out in June).

Playing
PC
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 23, 2011, 03:10:58 PM »

Can we move on to complaining about the lack of a pause button?  If I get this it will be for playing single-player, so I'm pretty annoyed about the omission.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 23, 2011, 03:16:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 23, 2011, 03:10:58 PM

Can we move on to complaining about the lack of a pause button?  If I get this it will be for playing single-player, so I'm pretty annoyed about the omission.

don't forget no save anywhere option.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 23, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »

wonderpug doesn't want the Hark Monk protecting him  icon_evil
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 23, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »

Only partway through the second video but I haven't seen corridors that narrow since the original Dungeon Siege. eek

- Ash
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 24, 2011, 01:55:31 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2011, 03:16:28 PM

don't forget no save anywhere option.
I saw somewhere that you can only save anywhere in isometric view.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 24, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 23, 2011, 02:19:32 PM

Oh, sure. They say "2012," when they really mean "maybe 2015." slywink

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
KC

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 25, 2011, 01:36:32 AM »

Has any of the beta testers tried to play this in a laptop w/o a dedicated graphics card?
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 25, 2011, 02:41:54 AM »

Quote from: KC on September 25, 2011, 01:36:32 AM

Has any of the beta testers tried to play this in a laptop w/o a dedicated graphics card?

From the videos, the graphics are, by today's standards, terrible so I would think it'll run on just about anything semi-recent. I only hope they at least chose a widescreen resolution this time.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: September 25, 2011, 06:28:32 PM »

Use the soul stone to warp back to town.  Problem solved.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: