http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:21:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 99707 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2010, 07:14:53 PM »

While I liked Diablo II quite a bit, I never quite got as addicted to it as I did with Diablo. I would never argue Diablo was a better game, but I think the slower movement speed (you couldn't just run away from danger) gave it a different sort of pacing and feel than D2. And given how small Condor/Blizzard North was in 1996, it almost felt like I'd "discovered" an indy-developed game at the time (certainly not a feeling anyone associates with Blizzard today).

D2 also suffered from a pretty mediocre resolution limit for its day. The artwork was groovy as always, but it felt odd to be playing a fixed 640X480 rez game in 2000 (I know fans eventually modded the game to play at higher resolutions).

I'd had lots of affection for Darkstone, Divine Divinity, Sacred and Titan Quest /w Immortal Throne expansion installed (the original TQ alone, not so much). Even some screwed up attempts at Diablo clones like Silverfall and some bargain sci-fi clickfests I've played have been kinda fun. But history suggests Diablo clones are kind of a dead-end in the sales department for developers not named Blizzard.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:17:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 04, 2010, 07:14:53 PM

D2 also suffered from a pretty mediocre resolution limit for its day. The artwork was groovy as always, but it felt odd to be playing a fixed 640X480 rez game in 2000 (I know fans eventually modded the game to play at higher resolutions).

I was also turned off by the pixelated graphics of Diablo 2 initially.  Even Diablo 1 pre-rendered character models looked better.  But it looks like D3 will have current-gen graphics so I'm pretty happy with that.  I noticed that SC2 has an in-game journal with unit description and tech trees.  I hope they expand on that and have a full fledged Tome (like in Warhammer Online) with beastiary, npc, location info etc.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2010, 10:48:14 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 04, 2010, 04:51:21 PM

Starcraft 2 can be hard to win, but the gameplay is incredibly simple, unoriginal and kind of boring. You can't get much more basic in a RTS.

I guess we are playing two different games. 
I am not really a RTS fan, and I really don't like SC2 much. Feels like 1 with better graphics.

Not sure why I bought an RTS where you can't pause and give orders. My own fault.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »

Some actual, perhaps disappointing Diablo III non-news news...

Gamescom D3 Demo (Apparently) Confirmed to be 2009 Repeat
http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/gamescom-d3-demo-confirmed-to-be-2009-repeat/
*The issue seems to be that Blizz isn't yet saying whether it will have a new Diablo III demo at the upcoming Gamescom event, or not. And fans are making decisions about whether to attend, based on if there'll be new footage or not.

If not, then the theory is that more likely Blizzcon in October will be focusing on Diablo III and maybe have a new demo at that point.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »

Bring on all the D3 demo in blizzcon i say!  nod
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »

I vote they shift Diablo's character over to SC2 and bring Kerrigan over to Diablo III...

Raynor: "Dammit! I'd sell my soul to find a way to save Kerrigan's soul!"
Diablo: "You rang?"

Meanwhile, in Tristram...

Caine: "What otherworldly evil defiles this place. " *sniff* "It smells like... Zerg."
Kerrigan: "Stay a while and listen... old man. AHAHAHAHAHA."

It works better with cinematics in place though.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »

Caine: "What otherworldly evil defiles this place. " *sniff* "It smells like... Zerg."
I can't be the only one that read that in Caine's voice....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2010, 07:16:03 AM »

according to blizzard's D3 twitter they are announcing a new feature tomorrow. I'm assuming something MP centric, maybe dealing with trading items? I don't really know just speculating.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2010, 12:27:04 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 18, 2010, 07:16:03 AM

according to blizzard's D3 twitter they are announcing a new feature tomorrow. I'm assuming something MP centric, maybe dealing with trading items? I don't really know just speculating.

The new feature is artisans.  They're NPCs that you can recruit (by doing a quest) who follow you throughout the world and perform services for you.  The Gametrailers video shows the blacksmith, who can add sockets to items and craft new ones using the new item crafting feature.  Artisans can level up to enhance their abilities.  There are supposed to be several types of artisans, but the video only shows the blacksmith.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »

darn, I was hoping for more info on the Archivist.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2010, 03:31:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 18, 2010, 02:07:02 PM

darn, I was hoping for more info on the Archivist.

They won't announce that until 4/1/11.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 18, 2010, 12:27:04 PM

Quote from: jersoc on August 18, 2010, 07:16:03 AM

The new feature is artisans.  They're NPCs that you can recruit (by doing a quest) who follow you throughout the world and perform services for you.  The Gametrailers video shows the blacksmith, who can add sockets to items and craft new ones using the new item crafting feature.  Artisans can level up to enhance their abilities.  There are supposed to be several types of artisans, but the video only shows the blacksmith.
Cool, but I really like Artisan sandwiches. Can they help me with that?  drool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »

Until D3 comes out you can always play D2 in a windowed mode with graphics set to 800x600 looks a lot better than all stretched to hell on the new monitors.

Don't think there are any patches that improve graphics. Game just too old.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:09:28 PM by ANZAC » Logged

Byte me
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2010, 04:56:44 PM »

D2 multires will allow you toplay in any resolution. It only supports up to version 1.12 not 1.13.

My PC is knackered atm so am using a crappy laptop and just installed D2 and it works great at 1280 x 800, no issues so far.

http://www.moddb.com/games/diablo-2/downloads/d2multires-version-102

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »

I'm thinking of trying D2 on my netbook. I figure it should be able to run.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »

I liked the rainbows comment at the end of the Artisan video biggrin
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 18, 2010, 12:27:04 PM

The new feature is artisans.  They're NPCs that you can recruit (by doing a quest) who follow you throughout the world and perform services for you. 

Sweet!!!  I wish I could get this in real life too  icon_twisted
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »

For breeders, they're called children.  I was my father's remote control for years.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »

Here's an artisan FAQ from Blizzard -

Diablo III Caravan FAQ
Q: What is the caravan?
A: The caravan is a persistent group that follows the heroes across Sanctuary, providing a centralized hub for players to find quest givers, crafters, and other important NPCs. As your character moves through the world so too will your loyal band, setting up in specific locations to remain close by should you need them.

Q: Who are the artisans?
A: In order to access the professions in Diablo III, you’ll need to gain the loyalty of various artisans through your travels in Sanctuary. The blacksmith, mystic, and jeweler will each provide unique services over the course of the game.

Q: What do the artisans offer?
A: Skilling up your artisans will unlock unique recipes, granting your character access to benefits that may not be found anywhere else in the world. The blacksmith crafts weapons and armor, and can add sockets to some items. The mystic creates scrolls, potions, magical weapons, spell runes, and charms, and can also enchant items. The jeweler crafts gems , amulets, and rings. The jeweler can also remove gems from socketed items and can combine gems to improve their quality.

Q: How do I find the artisans?
A: Finding the artisans will be part of the main quest. Each artisan has been fleshed out to include their own story and quest line.

Q: How do I use the artisans?
A: You’ll collect loot as a reward for slaughtering the forces of the Burning Hells. Unwanted items can be salvaged in your inventory, converting these goods into raw crafting materials—higher-level items are salvaged into higher-level materials. You’ll then take those raw materials and hand them over to the artisans, putting them to work crafting or enchanting for you. Upon returning to the caravan after a lengthy foray, you may also find that the artisans have been hard at work plying their trade for your benefit.

Q: How do I salvage my items?
A: Players will find an item while progressing through the main quest that will allow them to convert unwanted gear into crafting materials from the inventory. This item will not take up any inventory space. This should be a more satisfying option for offloading unwanted loot than the alternative—dropping things on the ground or making frequent trips to a vendor.

Q: Why are you including crafting professions in an action game?
A: Professions add depth to the item collection gameplay that drives the action of Diablo III. We want to provide players with an alternative way to acquire gear, potions, and other randomly found items. We also want to provide additional forms of customization for players—adding jewels, enchants, or sockets to existing gear allows players to further tailor their characters. Many rare crafting recipes and materials are only found as world drops, enhancing the item acquisition process by increasing the diversity of items dropped by monsters.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2010, 07:58:08 PM »

Looks cool, I was way off lol. Figured with all this bnet stuff they've been doing they would announce something using that.

Only 2 more months til I can take this for a spin!

Torchlight 2 spring, diablo 3 winter would be the greatest year ever. too bad D3 is 2012 before the world gets destroyed
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »

no console version is planned.  bummer.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2010, 05:55:46 AM »

Per the front page.....

Artisan crafting at the caravan video

OMG! That looks wonderful!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:01:51 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2010, 05:57:21 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 18, 2010, 10:09:11 PM

no console version is planned.  bummer.

they say it's possible though.

Because I can,
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »

Diablo 1 was ported over to the original Playstation, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on August 23, 2010, 02:24:07 PM

Diablo 1 was ported over to the original Playstation, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.
Anything's possible and anything can be "precedented,"  icon_smile but if Diablo III sells the way SC2 has on PC (or the way D2 did), there's really no compelling reason for Blizz to bash its head against the console market again. And that's fine by me.  icon_smile

I guess the Champions of Norrath guys (Snowblind Studios) are doing War in the North rather than bringing CoN to PS3, which is something I might've signed up for.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:41:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 23, 2010, 07:35:21 PM

if Diablo III sells the way SC2 has on PC (or the way D2 did), there's really no compelling reason for Blizz to bash its head against the console market again.

Why?  Blizzard hates making even more money?

Besides, modern day console can support multiplayer much better.  Also I'm sure Blizzard has a little bit more money than they used to back then.  So they could do a much better job than say Sacred 2 or Divinity 2.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2010, 09:27:04 PM »

Oh, PC is honestly the only way to go for me for Diablo III. It just wouldn't feel right playing it without a mouse & keyboard (or without the modding potential! There are some awesome D2 mods on the pc). However, yeah, I could see it working on the console market too.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 23, 2010, 08:23:10 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on August 23, 2010, 07:35:21 PM

if Diablo III sells the way SC2 has on PC (or the way D2 did), there's really no compelling reason for Blizz to bash its head against the console market again.

Why?  Blizzard hates making even more money?
No, because I'm a selfish SOB PC player who doesn't want one of the few remaining big-time PC-game-only developers to sell out to consoles and start making PC game ports that are screwed up and forget people have mouses. As I said, that's good enough for me, but maybe not for everyone.  smirk

That said, I don't ever see Blizzard just dump-porting a Diablo game to current consoles. I could have seen them working with someone like Snowblind (Champions of Norrath etc.) to do a Diablo game designed from the ground up for consoles. WoW is already their "license to print money." Bringing a Blizz game in good form to consoles might be worth the trouble, but I doubt they need more money at this point.

The fact they tabbed Nihilistic and then Swinging Ape for SC: Ghost before "suspending" it suggests they realize console games aren't their bailiwick, but that they haven't yet found a console development partner that meets their standards/goals for bringing Blizzard back to consoles.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:42:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »

Blizzard doesn't really like to let other studios work on their stuff.  I used to work for Saffire, the company that made the Brood Wars expansion pack for Starcraft.  Long story short, Blizzard had a bad experience with them and scuttlebutt around the office was that Blizzard had vowed never to make another game with a third party. 

From what I understand Blizzard wanted to go back over the expansion tweaking things for as long as it took to make it "good", and Saffire needed their paycheck and was convinced that the expansion was "done".  The companies had a falling out, and Blizzard released the expansion pack after about 1 additional month of tweaking (by themselves).  This was many many years ago, but it explains a lot in hindsight.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2010, 03:21:35 PM »

I look forward to playing this game in 2015.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2010, 08:09:55 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on August 24, 2010, 03:21:35 PM

quiet you!

it will be 2016 for sure

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2010, 02:46:27 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 24, 2010, 08:09:55 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on August 24, 2010, 03:21:35 PM

quiet you!

it will be 2016 for sure

bah, we'll all be dead before the closed beta starts.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2010, 11:40:52 PM »

on health.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2010, 06:25:09 AM »

hey, didnt someone play this at pax? let's hear some impressions.

5 more weeks for me!
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 11, 2010, 06:25:09 AM

hey, didnt someone play this at pax? let's hear some impressions.

5 more weeks for me!

Blizzard wasn't at PAX this year.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »

the female barbarian looks like Conan in drag.

Because I can,
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2010, 04:49:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 08, 2010, 02:00:06 AM

the female barbarian looks like Conan in drag.

What drag?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2010, 03:26:41 PM »

it doesn't look like Diablo 3 is getting much love at Blizzcon 2010.  unless I'm missing something they're only giving 3 hours of presentations on it aside from the demo

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2010, 03:42:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 08, 2010, 03:26:41 PM

it doesn't look like Diablo 3 is getting much love at Blizzcon 2010.  unless I'm missing something they're only giving 3 hours of presentations on it aside from the demo

All about Cata this year then?  Since there's no SC2 Heart of the Swarm love, either.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »

i'll be at the D3 gameplay one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: